No regard...for the desire of women

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
Hm sounds like a licence to sin.

You can't enter the fire so believe and praise God, sin on the side and you'll be fine.

Reminds me of my childhood crush. 'Trust me, I love you more than all these cookies! Just believe me but I won't play on the swings with you and actually show you how much I like you!'
I think Christianity looks different when you are born again (from the inside) to the kind of questions you might have from observing it from the outside? How could I convey to you what happens to your heart? It goes way beyond what can easily be shared...

Perhaps a personal account of a new Christian might get you some way to understanding.

Swiftturtle

Established
We both believe our religion is the ‘true’ one.

-for Christianity to be true, then the core belief in the crucifixion that provided salvation, resurrection, and Jesus’ ascension back to Heaven after rising from the dead, has to have occurred. Many, many scholars have tried and never been successful. In his short life of 33 years He was sinless, and performed countless miracles and changed numerous lives through compassion, love, and correction. All of the above is well documented in numerous different cultures, which quite literally is unprecedented (it’s rare to find even 2 historical records with matching accounts). Jesus’ story is the most historically documented- ever. And the divine text we follow (Bible) hasn’t changed either; it is the exact same dating back to the multiple originals. The Dead Sea Scrolls were yet another confirmation. One of the most prolific apostles was Paul. He was legendary for hating and killing followers of Christ. In the Biblical account he was on the road to Damascus, going by Saul at the time, when Jesus appeared as a blinding light asking why he was persecuting His followers. He was literally blinded for three days before his sight was restored through prayer when Jesus instructed it. He became one of the most prolific followers & teachers of the gospel. There were numerous Christians and Biblical accounts in what is now Syria, but most of the Christians have been killed, persecuted, or fled (even today, Christians are the most persecuted religion in the world, with an estimated 80% under severe persecution or outright certain death if caught). Imagine the evidence that would be found there if archeologists were permitted to look for Christian artifacts. It’s extremely telling that most of the places where they’d like to search are off limits. (Pauls’s Full story: https://www.learnreligions.com/conversion-of-paul-700197)

-for Islam to be true, you have to put all your bets on Muhammed’s version of events being accurate, divinely inspired, and true. Yet, there are no historical records for his version of events, no miracles, no wondrous signs from God confirming that he was indeed a prophet- there aren’t even stories within his own text that speak of God divinely confirming his claim to others, or of him doing wondrous miracles or healings. Even he mentions Jesus multiple times in only good ways, but he chose to reject the full story, and instead he simply called Jesus a prophet, essentially trying to make it seem as though they were on the same level.

There’s zero chance I’ll ever believe Muhammed’s version, and you might never believe Jesus’ well documented story of the gospel. It is what it is. We’re in a perpetual ‘see!’ rinse & repeat. The fact remains, however, that only Jesus is a recurring source of debate among numerous beliefs, bc they can’t deny His existence, so they try to bend and twist His story to deny the gospel. Jesus’ love and the Holy Spirit have instantly changed the hearts & beliefs of countless staunch disbelievers. Sometimes through the unbeliever seeking to disprove the gospel, and even through instances where people have had encounters where Jesus appears before them.

Regardless of any of these back and forth moments, every soul will eventually know in the ending of their life.

Todd

Star
John 6

28Then they said to Him, “What shall we do, that we may work the works of God?”

29Jesus answered and said to them, “This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He sent.”
How does somebody "send" themself? If Jesus believed and taught the Trinity doctrine, shouldn't he have said something like This is the work of the Father, that you believe in him whom he sent. If Jesus is really God he is for all practical purposes saying "This is the work of myself, that you believe in me, whom I sent." It makes absolutley no sense.

If Jesus was sent, he had to be sent by someone else. You don't "send" yourself. God sending Jesus only makes sense if Jesus wasn't God himself. Otherwise he could just say "This is my work, that you believe in me, the one that has come"

Of course, believing should naturally lead to good works...
Agreed!

Todd

Star
I think Christians can accept you have different views..its when islam appropriates Biblical characters as their own is when Christians have a problem. Or to talk about Abrahamic faiths..that’s a misnomer.
Torah believing Jews could say the same thing about you. "It's when Christianity appropriates Biblical characters as their own is when Torah believing Jews have a problem, Or to talk about Abrahamic faiths...that's a misnomer." The same logic you used to formulate that stance is directly applicable to your beliefs by a Torah a believing Jew.

Haich

Superstar
If you were in a relationship but knew you could cheat on your spouse with no consequences, would you?
Many people would! There would be no fear of being questioned or held accountable.

As a muslim, i know what is halal and haraam and everyone including muslims are held accountable for what they do. So being muslim alone doesn't exclude me from hell. Faith alone doesn't exclude me...

However, the faith will come in handy as it could lessen the time I spend in hell.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
We both believe our religion is the ‘true’ one.

-for Christianity to be true, then the core belief in the crucifixion that provided salvation, resurrection, and Jesus’ ascension back to Heaven after rising from the dead, has to have occurred. Many, many scholars have tried and never been successful. In his short life of 33 years He was sinless, and performed countless miracles and changed numerous lives through compassion, love, and correction. All of the above is well documented in numerous different cultures, which quite literally is unprecedented (it’s rare to find even 2 historical records with matching accounts). Jesus’ story is the most historically documented- ever. And the divine text we follow (Bible) hasn’t changed either; it is the exact same dating back to the multiple originals. The Dead Sea Scrolls were yet another confirmation. One of the most prolific apostles was Paul. He was legendary for hating and killing followers of Christ. In the Biblical account he was on the road to Damascus, going by Saul at the time, when Jesus appeared as a blinding light asking why he was persecuting His followers. He was literally blinded for three days before his sight was restored through prayer when Jesus instructed it. He became one of the most prolific followers & teachers of the gospel. There were numerous Christians and Biblical accounts in what is now Syria, but most of the Christians have been killed, persecuted, or fled (even today, Christians are the most persecuted religion in the world, with an estimated 80% under severe persecution or outright certain death if caught). Imagine the evidence that would be found there if archeologists were permitted to look for Christian artifacts. It’s extremely telling that most of the places where they’d like to search are off limits. (Pauls’s Full story: https://www.learnreligions.com/conversion-of-paul-700197)

-for Islam to be true, you have to put all your bets on Muhammed’s version of events being accurate, divinely inspired, and true. Yet, there are no historical records for his version of events, no miracles, no wondrous signs from God confirming that he was indeed a prophet- there aren’t even stories within his own text that speak of God divinely confirming his claim to others, or of him doing wondrous miracles or healings. Even he mentions Jesus multiple times in only good ways, but he chose to reject the full story, and instead he simply called Jesus a prophet, essentially trying to make it seem as though they were on the same level.

There’s zero chance I’ll ever believe Muhammed’s version, and you might never believe Jesus’ well documented story of the gospel. It is what it is. We’re in a perpetual ‘see!’ rinse & repeat. The fact remains, however, that only Jesus is a recurring source of debate among numerous beliefs, bc they can’t deny His existence, so they try to bend and twist His story to deny the gospel. Jesus’ love and the Holy Spirit have instantly changed the hearts & beliefs of countless staunch disbelievers. Sometimes through the unbeliever seeking to disprove the gospel, and even through instances where people have had encounters where Jesus appears before them.

Regardless of any of these back and forth moments, every soul will eventually know in the ending of their life.
Perhaps these interactions are ones where people bring out their set piece arguments. Even so, as this is s public facing board, it is a good place to set a clear message in context.

John Piper explains this issue very well:-

Todd

Star
^i think simply stating we don’t believe in the ‘same God’ and mentioning 3 in 1 for those that aren’t Christians sounds crazy pants (it did to me initially as well, until it was explained) and should be expanded on.
I’ve heard it explained like this: Christians believe in The Trinity, which is God, Jesus, & the Holy Spirit. They are equal and one in the same, but with different roles under the umbrella collective. Much like the sun; you have the sun, but there are separate components within the singular sun: like energy, heat, and light.
God is all encompassing, the ‘sun’, but Jesus became ‘God in the flesh’ in order to share the gospel (so, like the light that goes out from the sun and reaches earth), and the Holy Spirit can be akin to the sun’s heat. You don’t necessarily ‘see it’, but you can feel it, it’s all around, yet it is still part of the sun.
If people believe in God, but not the Trinity, then it’s a different definition from the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. People use God as a collective word across multiple religions to represent the ultimate authority, but we believe in the Biblical definition of God still being the ultimate authority, but containing three parts that take on specific purposes.
I didn't know Abraham believed in a Trinity. Can you show me from Scripture that Abraham worshipped the Trinity?

Haich

Superstar
I think Christianity looks different when you are born again (from the inside) to the kind of questions you might have from observing it from the outside? How could I convey to you what happens to your heart? It goes way beyond what can easily be shared...

Perhaps a personal account of a new Christian might get you some way to understanding.

I mean, there seems to be a very hippie and dreamy picture being painted by Christians.

Sure, the world is lovely when you believe you're going to heaven and no matter what you do, as long as you believe, you'll be fine and be free from the fire.

I guess for me, I find that view very problematic and a just God needs to have a just system.

As humans, we aren't exempt from prison. Everyone can go to prison and break the law, regardless of race, faith, sex and creed. So how comes as humans we have this understanding of consequence and accountability and justice but Jesus doesn't?

Would you live in a country which had no prison and just trusted you to obey the law for the greater good?

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
Many people would! There would be no fear of being questioned or held accountable.

As a muslim, i know what is halal and haraam and everyone including muslims are held accountable for what they do. So being muslim alone doesn't exclude me from hell. Faith alone doesn't exclude me...

However, the faith will come in handy as it could lessen the time I spend in hell.
@Haich - do you not wish to acknowledge that within the make up of love and trust, letting down someone who has committed their life to you, and seeing betrayal, pain and the cost of forgiveness in their eyes would not be reason enough to be faithful?

I love the Lord and I don’t want to do anything that would grieve his heart. Not out of a fear of a lost salvation, but out of a desire not to betray the hope he has put in me.

Ephesians 2

4 But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, 5 even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), 6 and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, 7 that in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us in Christ Jesus. 8 For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, 9 not of works, lest anyone should boast. 10 For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
One of my closest friends is Christain and she legit said to me that the bible tells her that Jesus created Adam...

I mean come in guys, you're stretching the truth there aren't you?!
In the beginning was the Word?

Before Abraham was, I AM?

Todd

Star
But I thought jesus died for the original sin that mankind 'inherited' from adam?

How could jesus have died for a sin I choose to commit today?

We all sin, repent and sin again. Why does the Christian get to go to paradise as a sinner and not be held accountable?

Doesn't sound very just. If my Christian neighbour wronged me and I retaliate, why does he go to heaven and get off Scot-free and I suffer the consequences?
Your logic is completely accurate. You understanding of the doctrine and theology of Jesus and the original Apostles is what is incorrect, because of the poor job that the Christian Church has done presenting and representing the gospel. If you haven't seen it yet look at the thread https://vigilantcitizenforums.com/threads/my-idea-of-what-salvation-is-for-douglas-summers.6134/ for an alternative explanation of the gospel of Jesus Christ and why the messiah (not the third member of some 3 headed Trinity God) died and rose again.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
She brings out the well known 'before abraham was, I am' verse which could literally be used to justify anything.
As a Muslim, how would you interpret that verse?

Check the context:-

56 Your father Abraham rejoiced that he would see my day. He saw it and was glad.” 57 So the Jews said to him, “You are not yet fifty years old, and have you seen Abraham?” 58 Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I am.” 59 So they picked up stones to throw at him, but Jesus hid himself and went out of the temple.

Swiftturtle

Established
Speaking of religions being founded, and I might add promoted, by "war lords," I think Christianity, the one I was born into, can be downright schizoid, at times, and it's little wonder to me that there is a radical, "post-modern," largely feminist movement afoot to be done with the Abrahamic "patriarchy," or patriarchies, plural, all of them: Judaism, Christianity and Islam, in the interests of women who have been historically subjugated by and to them.

Here is an example of the schizophrenia, for lack of a better, less controversial, word. King David, the warrior king and reputed writer of Psalms, fresh from his slaughter of Philistines, is met by what I assume are the daughters of Zion, who sing this memorable song as homage:

"And the women answered one another as they played, and said, Saul hath slain his thousands, and David his ten thousands."

Regardless of Christianity's pacifism, or, as I see it, the lip-service some Christians pay to pacifism, Orthodox Jews, as I understand, are busy making way for the new "son of David," the one whose kingdom, unlike that of the pacifist Jesus', is very much of this world. It might be time to brush the dust from the sheet music of this above song and play it again, in Jerusalem.

Have you considered the possibility that, though you usually wrap your statements in the seemingly respectable talit of scripture, you sometimes get off on the adrenaline rush of constantly opposing and being opposed? I have not only noticed but also commented, not necessarily accurately, I might add, because I often make mistakes as well, that, when you aren't busy inciting Muslims in this and the previous board's forum, you turn and bite into your fellow Christians, those who don't seem to pass your doctrinal litmus test, at any rate. If, by chance, you do enjoy the adrenaline rush, I might suggest another fun, somewhat related activity: bungee jumping from old, sufficiently tall railroad truss bridges in the Sierra Nevada Mountains of California :).
I’m sorry you had a bad experience in the church- I did too, and I was personally upset for a long time, but we chose different ways it seems.
Yah, David definitely fought, like lots of ppl. He was also a sinner, like allllll of us. Thank goodness for the gospel!
There’s not an ‘adrenaline rush’ here- Maybe you felt one posting that, but you do you. I’m not going to gloss over things that are obvious questions, regardless of the person’s religion. Why would I question a different one and not raise a question if I disagree with someone of the same faith? I don’t have all of the answers, I’m constantly still learning, and iron sharpens iron. However, you seem to only be upset that Christians are adamant, which is prob rooted in your resentment of something in your upbringing. But that’s between you and God, and I wish you well

Swiftturtle

Established
One of my closest friends is Christain and she legit said to me that the bible tells her that Jesus created Adam...

I mean come in guys, you're stretching the truth there aren't you?!
She can say it, but it’s not accurate as the Bible says God. Jesus didn’t come in the flesh until much, much later. You’re welcome to read the Bible and the story of Adam and Eve, or not. Up to you, obviously

Todd

Star

56 Your father Abraham rejoiced that he would see my day. He saw it and was glad.” 57 So the Jews said to him, “You are not yet fifty years old, and have you seen Abraham?” 58 Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I am.” 59 So they picked up stones to throw at him, but Jesus hid himself and went out of the temple.
I'm not a Muslim, but I would guess my interpretation of the verse would be similar to that of Muslims, because they believe he was a prophet who heard directly from God.

The Jews were asking how Jesus could know what Abraham thought about Jesus himself or at least the time period or age that Jesus lived in. Jesus having already claimed direct communication from God (For I have not spoken of myself; but the Father which sent me, he gave me a commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak) was simply re-iterating that anything he said was a meassage form God and not his own thoughts or knowledge.

Haich

Superstar
@Haich - do you not wish to acknowledge that within the make up of love and trust, letting down someone who has committed their life to you, and seeing betrayal, pain and the cost of forgiveness in their eyes would not be reason enough to be faithful?

I love the Lord and I don’t want to do anything that would grieve his heart. Not out of a fear of a lost salvation, but out of a desire not to betray the hope he has put in me.

Ephesians 2

4 But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, 5 even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), 6 and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, 7 that in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us in Christ Jesus. 8 For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, 9 not of works, lest anyone should boast. 10 For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.
But it isn't enough, for you yes but there are many Christians who sin and take advantage of God's mercy. I think there's a line between mercy and wrath...you can't just say God loves us so much so he will forgive us all. There has to be accountability to serve justice to victims of the sin you do...

Haich

Superstar

To me I see it as jesus telling us about God's foreknowledge. As in, Jesus was destined to walk earth way before Abraham's existence, so it is emphasising God's foreknowledge and predestination of Jesus's prophethood.

That verse in no way, for me, shows jesus's divinity.

His divinity seems to be crux of your faith yet there is no clear verse which explicitly states this or the trinity for that matter.