Does God have a Church?

phipps

Star
Since you seem a person more likely to give a more detailed answer. Here's a question:

On what authority do you think that a true church is based? (and no, "The Bible" is a nonanswer here, because anyone can claim anything to be "Biblical")
If you don't want me to use the Bible then I'm sorry I can't answer you. You see, the answer is in the Bible because God is head of the church, the authority the true church is based. We know this because His Word says so. That is how we know the criteria for what His true Church is based on. I posted some of it right here in this forum.

Last edited:

Tidal

Star
..........I will post these verses again which are written by Paul too. "And let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good works, not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the Day approaching" (Hebrews 10:24-25).
Yes, if people can find a good uplifting church which makes them feel good that's fine, but personally I've never been ablr to find one.
Some churchgoing friends used to introduce me around different churches but I usually walked out after 5 minutes, and once I even walked out before the service had even begun.
I later found out that my mischievous pals had been betting among themselves how long it'd be before i walked out of the places, and when I got up and headed towards the door they'd begin chuckling and there were cries of "There he goes"..:D

phipps

Star
Yes, if people can find a good uplifting church which makes them feel good that's fine, but personally I've never been ablr to find one.
Some churchgoing friends used to introduce me around different churches but I usually walked out after 5 minutes, and once I even walked out before the service had even begun.
I later found out that my mischievous pals had been betting among themselves how long it'd be before i walked out of the places, and when I got up and headed towards the door they'd begin chuckling and there were cries of "There he goes"..:D
Pray to God to lead you to the right church but you've also got to be careful (as we all should be) that you're not making this about you, and that you're letting God lead you.

Tidal

Star
Pray to God to lead you to the right church but you've also got to be careful (as we all should be) that you're not making this about you, and that you're letting God lead you.

Ah, but perhaps God led me to those churches so that I'd see how bad they were, to make me realise I didn't need them... :)
"He reveals the deep things of darkness and brings deep shadows into the light" (Job 12:22)

phipps

Star
Ah, but perhaps God led me to those churches so that I'd see how bad they were, to make me realise I didn't need them... :)
"He reveals the deep things of darkness and brings deep shadows into the light" (Job 12:22)
Does that mean you stop looking and conclude that you don't need any church because of those experiences?

Tidal

Star
Tidal said- Ah, but perhaps God led me to those churches so that I'd see how bad they were, to make me realise I didn't need them... :)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does that mean you stop looking and conclude that you don't need any church because of those experiences?

At the risk of sounding arrogant, I don't NEED any church, THEY need ME.. :)
I suppose technically I'm an Internet Evangelist, it's something I drifted into almost by accident, and the feedback I get from people in internet forums indicates I must be doing something right.
Wimpy and lukewarm is something I definitely am NOT, and people tell me my strength seems to rub off on them-
"As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another" (Proverbs 27:17)

Conversely, we should avoid bad churches and assorted heathens and phoney "christians" because their negative vibes are as weakening to us as kryptonite is to Superman-
"He who walks with the wise grows wise, but a companion of fools suffers harm" (Proverbs 13:20)

Here's a vid of me in which my body language says "I don't need anybody, they need me, so they can either follow me or not, it's their free choice" ..:p

If you don't want me to use the Bible then I'm sorry I can't answer you. You see, the answer is in the Bible because God is head of the church, the authority the true church is based. We know this because His Word says so. That is how we know the criteria for what His true Church is based on. I posted some of it right here in this forum.
You didn't get what I said there. You did give me a partial answer though.

When I mentioned the Bible, I meant that in the answer, the justification can't be simply "we believe that we are Biblical" as clearly every church of every denomination equally claims this.
I didn't say that your definition of were the authority of the true Church comes from can't be the Bible. Rather, the Bible is where I am expecting you to answer from in exploring where the authority does and doesn't come from according to the Bible.
Again, you didn't get what I said there.
Thanks.

phipps

Star
Tidal said- Ah, but perhaps God led me to those churches so that I'd see how bad they were, to make me realise I didn't need them... :)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At the risk of sounding arrogant, I don't NEED any church, THEY need ME.. :)
I suppose technically I'm an Internet Evangelist, it's something I drifted into almost by accident, and the feedback I get from people in internet forums indicates I must be doing something right.
Wimpy and lukewarm is something I definitely am NOT, and people tell me my strength seems to rub off on them-
"As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another" (Proverbs 27:17)

Conversely, we should avoid bad churches and assorted heathens and phoney "christians" because their negative vibes are as weakening to us as kryptonite is to Superman-
"He who walks with the wise grows wise, but a companion of fools suffers harm" (Proverbs 13:20)

Here's a vid of me in which my body language says "I don't need anybody, they need me, so they can either follow me or not, it's their free choice" ..:p

It goes without saying that we should avoid bad churches that teach a message that is not aligned with the Word of God. But when the Bible says we should not forsake assemblies like others do its not saying that to make our lives difficult. Anything that we are asked to do in the Bible is always for our benefit. God knows what's best for us more than we do since He is the one that created us. We always need others in our lives.

phipps

Star
You didn't get what I said there. You did give me a partial answer though.

When I mentioned the Bible, I meant that in the answer, the justification can't be simply "we believe that we are Biblical" as clearly every church of every denomination equally claims this.
I didn't say that your definition of were the authority of the true Church comes from can't be the Bible. Rather, the Bible is where I am expecting you to answer from in exploring where the authority does and doesn't come from according to the Bible.
Again, you didn't get what I said there.
Thanks.
Okay, I misunderstood your point then. I thought you meant I can't use the Bible to explain to you my answer. I suppose I answered your question. To add to that, while Christ is head of the church, there is an organisational structure that we learn about from the Bible. From the Overseer or Pastor to elders and deacons. We also learn about proper church administration, local church authority, church discipline.

Last edited:

phipps

Star
More verses about church.

Matthew 18:20,
"For where two or three are gathered together in My name, I am there in the midst of them.”

Acts 2:41-42, "Then those who gladly received his word were baptized; and that day about three thousand souls were added to them. And they continued steadfastly in the apostles’ doctrine and fellowship, in the breaking of bread, and in prayers."

Acts 2:46-47, "So continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, they ate their food with gladness and simplicity of heart, praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily those who were being saved."

Acts 9:31-32, "Then the churches throughout all Judea, Galilee, and Samaria had peace and were edified. And walking in the fear of the Lord and in the comfort of the Holy Spirit, they were multiplied. Now it came to pass, as Peter went through all parts of the country, that he also came down to the saints who dwelt in Lydda."

Acts 12:5, "Peter was therefore kept in prison, but constant prayer was offered to God for him by the church."

1 Corinthians 1:10, "Now I plead with you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment."

Galatians 6:10, "Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all, especially to those who are of the household of faith."

Ephesians 3:20-21, "Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us, to Him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus to all generations, forever and ever. Amen."

Ephesians 4:11-12, "And He Himself gave some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, and some pastors and teachers, for the equipping of the saints for the work of ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ."

Ephesians 5:25-26, "Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself for her, that He might sanctify and cleanse her with the washing of water by the word."

2 Thessalonians 1:3, "We are bound to thank God always for you, brethren, as it is fitting, because your faith grows exceedingly, and the love of every one of you all abounds toward each other."

1 Timothy 3:1-16. These verses talk about qualifications of overseers or Pastors and deacons.

Titus 1:5, "For this reason I left you in Crete, that you should set in order the things that are lacking, and appoint elders in every city as I commanded you."

James 5:14-15, "Is anyone among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord. And the prayer of faith will save the sick, and the Lord will raise him up. And if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven."

Tidal

Star
..God knows what's best for us more than we do since He is the one that created us. We always need others in our lives.

Like I said, if some churches make people feel good that's fine, but if they're bad churches full of antichrists posing as christians it should be avoided like the plague-
".. some false brothers had infiltrated our ranks to spy on the freedom we have in Christ Jesus and to make us slaves." (Gal 2:4)

phipps

Star
Like I said, if some churches make people feel good that's fine, but if they're bad churches full of antichrists posing as christians it should be avoided like the plague-
".. some false brothers had infiltrated our ranks to spy on the freedom we have in Christ Jesus and to make us slaves." (Gal 2:4)
And you keep dodging the point I'm making. "if some churches make people feel good that's fine, but if they're bad churches full of antichrists posing as christians it should be avoided like the plague-" is just an excuse you're using not to agree with God's Word which is the truth. But I'll end the conversation here. God bless.

Last edited:

phipps

Star
Why Go to Church?

"For where two or three are gathered together in My name, I am there in the midst of them.” (Matthew 18:20). Here are a few of the reasons why we need to go to church, you may know more.

To Obey God
His wisdom is high beyond mine, and if He urged that I not neglect the assembling of believers, that should be reason enough.
“not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the Day approaching” (Hebrews 10:25).

To Acknowledge and Strengthen Family Ties
Just as in my biological family, there are all kinds of members in my church family, at every stage of emotional, spiritual, intellectual, and social development. We are—all of us—fellow sinners, saved by grace. If this is my spiritual family (however dysfunctional), how could it be that I would avoid them at all costs? If I think myself more capable than they, don’t they need my input? If I feel less capable, don’t I need their insight? Isn’t that part of what families are for?

And as part of a family, how can I respond to the hurts, joys, celebrations, griefs, and victories of others if I am not part of the circle who know their stories? Being in church each week updates me on who has suffered the loss of a loved one, who is recuperating from surgery, who was recently baptized or dedicated, who appears to be struggling, whose home burned down in the night. These are needs I can respond to, and my tokens of love and assistance can make a difference. But I can’t respond to these needs if I’m not there to hear of them. It fulfils something inside of us to share our lives with others, encourage each other and be authentically involved in each other’s lives.

To Broaden Our Insight
Though I maintain my own personal devotional life, if I’m not very careful, I’ll settle myself comfortably in my own familiar thought patterns. Even when I choose the writings of others to augment and expand my own thinking, it’s still the same “me” selecting those resources: I’m in danger of being unwittingly narrow in my choosing. When I attend a healthy church each week, I encounter presentations not of my choosing, ones more likely to challenge my thinking. From the pulpit I often hear in a familiar Bible passage an application I had not made myself. These experiences keep Bible study fresh, keep me listening to others, and make me aware that their insights often add meaning to my life.

To Understand Ourselves and Exercise Our Gifts
Being part of a fellowship teaches me about myself. In fellowship I’m more likely to discover and develop my gifts. In fellowship I’m more likely to become aware of my shortcomings, excesses, and sharp edges. Fellowship and service reveal and polish up the rough spots! As I spend time with my brothers and sisters, I’m more likely to learn of crises in their lives, giving me opportunity to exercise my developing gifts on their behalf.

To Deal With Our Disappointment About the Church
How often we hear people say they would attend church if it weren’t for all the hypocrites. Which is a little bit like saying we would go to a hospital if it weren’t for all the sick people. We know that it was Jesus’ custom to attend worship services with others. If we think church members were better back then, we need just remember who attended church in that era: Judas Iscariot, Ananias and Sapphira, the rich young ruler, the Pharisees and Sadducees. . . . While it’s true that I’ll notice more of the church’s weaknesses from within it, it is also true that while there I’ll notice more of its strengths. If I keep invested and stay involved with individual members, I’m guaranteed stories of breakthrough, changed lives, and the shared stories of God’s goodness in the lives of fellow believers.

Because We Need It
In the Bible story of the shepherd seeking out the one lost lamb, the shepherd is portrayed as a loving caretaker bringing the sheep back to safety. That lamb’s very survival depended upon the fellowship of the sheepfold and the protective hand of the shepherd. The shepherd knew that the likelihood of the lone sheep getting lost, hurt, and preyed upon was far greater alone and outside the sheepfold than in fellowship within it. As in all of nature, a lone animal is a prime target. In fact, a predator’s first task is to separate one animal from the rest of the flock. How sad when we do that work for them.

Just being a sheep in a world of predators guarantees dangers and limitations; that’s true even inside the fold. But for all of the reasons listed above, and for reasons my heart knows but can’t quite put into words, this particular sheep will gladly choose to take her chances inside.

Don’t let excuses stand in the way of what you know God is calling you to do. God will strengthen you and empower you to do what He has called you to do. Many have encountered past wounds from leaders or from church members but God will bring healing and grace to them, as and if they seek to follow Him, and love His Church.

Link.

TokiEl

Superstar
L0L

phipps

Star

You have linked Seventh Day Adventists resources [Adventist Review, Amazing Facts], so I can only assume this is the church you're pushing. Unfortunately, there are some serious issues with SDA, including false prophet Ellen G. White. There's a lot to cover, but here's a quick rundown --
---------------------------------------

According to the SDA, Ellen G. White’s writings & visions considered inspired, authoritative, and equal to scripture --
We reaffirm our conviction that her writings are divinely inspired, truly Christ-centered, and Bible-based. Rather than replacing the Bible, they uplift the normative character of Scripture and correct inaccurate interpretations of it derived from tradition, human reason, personal experience, and modern culture.
https://www.adventist.org/articles/statement-of-confidence-in-the-writings-of-ellen-g-white/

SDA/Ellen G White: The blood of Christ on the cross did not atone for sin --
Patriarchs and prophets, page 357 --
The blood of Christ, while it was to release the repentant sinner from the condemnation of the law, was not to cancel the sin; it would stand on record in the sanctuary until the final atonement; so in the type the blood of the sin offering removed the sin from the penitent, but it rested in the sanctuary until the Day of Atonement.

https://egwwritings.org/?ref=en_PP.357.5&para=84.1606

SDA/Ellen G White: The blood of Christ only transferred sin into the heavenly sanctuary until the 1844 Day of Atonement, when Christ began the 'Investigative Judgement', which will continue until the Second Coming --
Spirit of Prophecy, vol 4, pg 265-266
After his ascension, our Saviour began his work as our high priest. Says Paul, “Christ is not entered into the holy places made with hands, which are the figures of the true; but into Heaven itself, now to appear in the presence of God for us.” In harmony with the typical service, he began his ministration in the holy place, and at the termination of the prophetic days in 1844, as foretold by Daniel the prophet, he entered the most holy to perform the last division of his solemn work,—to cleanse the sanctuary.

As the sins of the people were anciently transferred, in figure, to the earthly sanctuary by the blood of the sin-offering, so our sins are, in fact, transferred to the heavenly sanctuary by the blood of Christ. And as the typical cleansing of the earthly was accomplished by the removal of the sins by which it had been polluted, so the actual cleansing of the heavenly is to be accomplished by the removal, or blotting out, of the sins which are there recorded... The cleansing of the sanctuary therefore involves a work of investigative Judgment. This work must be performed prior to the coming of Christ to redeem his people; for when he comes, his reward is with him to give to every man according to his works.

Thus those who followed in the advancing light of the prophetic word saw that instead of coming to the earth at the termination of the 2300 days in 1844, Christ then entered the most holy place of the heavenly sanctuary, into the presence of God, to perform the closing work of atonement, preparatory to his coming.

https://egwwritings.org/?ref=en_4SP.265.2&para=140.1051

The work of the investigative judgment and the blotting out of sins is to be accomplished before the second advent of the Lord. Since the dead are to be judged out of the things written in the books, it is impossible that the sins of men should be blotted out until after the judgment at which their cases are to be investigated...When the investigative judgment closes, Christ will come, and His reward will be with Him to give to every man as his work shall be.
https://egwwritings.org/?ref=en_GC.485.2&para=132.2196

SDA/Ellen G White: After removing the sins from the sanctuary during the Investigative Judgement [1844 - ], Christ places them on Satan to bear the final penalty --
The Great Controversy, chap 23, pg 422:
When Christ, by virtue of His own blood, removes the sins of His people from the heavenly sanctuary at the close of His ministration, He will place them upon Satan, who, in the execution of the judgment, must bear the final penalty.

https://egwwritings.org/?ref=en_GC.422.2&para=132.1916
----------------------------------------------------------------------

What?!? That is NOT the Jesus Christ of the Holy Bible.

Heb 9:12 but through His own blood, He entered the holy place once for all, having obtained eternal redemption. 13 For if the blood of goats sanctify for the cleansing of the flesh, 14 how much more will the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered Himself without blemish to God, cleanse your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?

1 Pet 3:18 For Christ also died for sins once for all, in order that He might bring us to God, having been put to death in the flesh…

1 Pet 2:24 and He Himself bore our sins in His body on the cross, that we might die to sin and live to righteousness; for by His wounds you were healed.

Heb 9:25 Nor did He enter heaven to offer himself again and again, the way the high priest enters the Most Holy Place every year with blood that is not his own. 26 Then Christ would have had to suffer many times since the creation of the world. But now He has appeared once for all at the end of the ages to do away with sin by the sacrifice of himself. 27 Just as man is destined to die once, and after that to face judgment, 28 so Christ was sacrificed once to take away the sins of many people; and He will appear a second time, not to bear sin, but to bring salvation to those who are waiting for Him

Yes, God does have a church, and it's every believer in Christ. Attend a doctrinally sound local church... but follow Christ. I've seen people follow their local church right into the ground because they put their faith into it.

John 12:26 “Whoever serves me must follow me; and where I am, my servant also will be. My Father will honor the one who serves me.”
You have linked Seventh Day Adventists resources [Adventist Review, Amazing Facts], so I can only assume this is the church you're pushing. Unfortunately, there are some serious issues with SDA, including false prophet Ellen G. White. There's a lot to cover, but here's a quick rundown --
I don't push any religion, I push biblical truths. I quote and link SDA sites because they push biblical truths too (although I link to other churches not just SDA's). I have posted forums here on vigilant citizen on subjects such as the true Sabbath (Saturday), the heavenly temple, health, the truth about death according to the Bible, True Israel, salvation and the conditions to it, obedience to God's law etc and they are all based on biblical doctrine and we can know the truth of those subjects without reading any of EW's writings. We can know the truth directly from the Bible. I have read some of her writings but not most of them and I understand these subjects thank God.

According to the SDA, Ellen G. White’s writings & visions considered inspired, authoritative, and equal to scripture --
We reaffirm our conviction that her writings are divinely inspired, truly Christ-centered, and Bible-based. Rather than replacing the Bible, they uplift the normative character of Scripture and correct inaccurate interpretations of it derived from tradition, human reason, personal experience, and modern culture.
https://www.adventist.org/articles/statement-of-confidence-in-the-writings-of-ellen-g-white/

Its not true at all (you don't know what you're talking about) that EW's writings are considered equal to the BIble in the SDA church. They are are NOT nor do I know one single SDA member who would say that. She herself made that point very clear. SDA's use the the Bible as their primary source of study as do I. However her writings help to understand God better that's all. Saying they have confidence in her writings as you posted in your links means her writings harmonise with the Bible. They do not contradict it. Do you now understand what "We reaffirm our conviction that her writings are divinely inspired, truly Christ-centered, and Bible-based. Rather than replacing the Bible, they uplift the normative character of Scripture and correct inaccurate interpretations of it derived from tradition, human reason, personal experience, and modern culture" meant? They believe her writings are inspired by God. There is no falsity in them plus other reasons of course. Not just the ones I mention here.

SDA/Ellen G White: The blood of Christ on the cross did not atone for sin --
Patriarchs and prophets, page 357 --
The blood of Christ, while it was to release the repentant sinner from the condemnation of the law, was not to cancel the sin; it would stand on record in the sanctuary until the final atonement; so in the type the blood of the sin offering removed the sin from the penitent, but it rested in the sanctuary until the Day of Atonement.
You misunderstand her. You would have to read the whole book of Patriarchs and Prophets or at least the whole chapter where you got that passage from to understand her in context. Ellen G white has never written and would never write that the blood of Christ did not atone for sin. This is blasphemy for any Christian (or anyone) to write or say.

What she meant from that link you posted which is out of context btw, is that the sins of the whole world were not totally cleansed until the sanctuary had to be cleansed. You have to understand the earthly sanctuary system to understand the heavenly temple system on which the earthly sanctuary was based. I have a whole forum on this topic and it needs deep biblical study but its entirely biblical as are all EW's writings. I will quote scripture to make my point about the sanctuary in heaven needing to be cleansed briefly since I've already posted on this subject. Paul wrote mostly on this topic in the book of Hebrews but its written of in other parts of the Bible.

Daniel 8:14, “And he said to me, “For two thousand three hundred days; then the sanctuary shall be cleansed.” This is the longest time prophecy in the Bible. These are not literal days but years because in prophecy a day symbolises a year in real time. So the cleansing of the sanctuary would not be on earth and we know this because Paul elaborates more on the heavenly sanctuary/temple and what Christ is doing there.

Paul wrote, "It was therefore necessary that the patterns of things in the heavens should be purified with these; but the heavenly things themselves with better sacrifices than these" Hebrews 9:23. What in heaven needs purifying?

In Moses' time, the earthly sanctuary was cleansed once a year on the Day of Atonement (Leviticus 16:30). On the day, two goats were chosen. One was sacrificed on behalf of the congregation for their sins (this symbolised Christ), and the blood was sprinkled inside in the holy place inside the veil, on the mercy seat (Leviticus 16:15). Sin was then transferred from the sinner, through the blood of the sacrifice, into the Sanctuary. Once the High Priest made an end to reconciliation, he would walk into the courtyard to the other goat, the live goat (Leviticus 16:20-22). By this act the sanctuary was fully cleansed, with sin removed from the sanctuary by the merits of the spotless sacrifice, and resting ultimately on the Scapegoat (or Azazel in Hebrew, this represented Satan).

Now, through Paul in Hebrew 8, we know that the earthly sanctuary is a copy of the true sanctuary/temple in Heaven. All patterns and ceremonies were an enactment of the true services in Heaven. In the Heavenly sanctuary, Jesus is both the spotless sacrifice and our High Priest. In fact, the true mercy seat exists in the Heavenly Sanctuary, on the ark of covenant in heaven; "Then the temple of God was opened in heaven, and the ark of His covenant was seen in His temple. And there were lightnings, noises, thunderings, an earthquake, and great hail" (Revelation 11:19). So in the heavenly sanctuary, services are performed to address sin that were represented by the services on earth.

When we sin and are forgiven, our sins are removed through the blood of the sinless sacrifice. However, they do not disappear, but are transferred by the blood into the Heavenly Sanctuary. There is a record book in heaven that keeps a record of all our sins (Acts 3:19-21) until the Judgement. The Day of Atonement represents a period in heaven when the Sanctuary is cleansed. Sins are blotted out from the record book through the merits of Jesus, and will be placed ultimately unto the Scapegoat who is Satan.

Now how do I know what Ellen White was referring to? I know the subject matter, I know some of her writings too but also in that link you posted she wrote, "Thus in the ministration of the tabernacle, and of the temple that afterward took its place, the people were taught each day the great truths relative to Christ’s death and ministration, and once each year their minds were carried forward to the closing events of the great controversy between Christ and Satan, the final purification of the universe from sin and sinners." Unless you understand the heavenly temple subject, you still won't understand what I've just posted here without studying God's Word on it and asking the Holy Spirit to guide you to the truth. Most Christians don't know this topic let alone understand it. Those of us who understand a bit of it don't understand the subject fully either. We will understand it fully when Jesus returns the second time.

SDA/Ellen G White: The blood of Christ only transferred sin into the heavenly sanctuary until the 1844 Day of Atonement, when Christ began the 'Investigative Judgement', which will continue until the Second Coming --
I will explain this subject briefly as its a long winded subject that needs careful biblical study. But as I posted above you need to understand the heavenly sanctuary subject first, then you need to understand the 2,300 day prophecy, calculate when the 2,300 days began and when they ended. The book of Daniel gives us the starting point of the 2300 year prophecy in Daniel 9:25. “Know therefore and understand, That from the going forth of the command To restore and build Jerusalem Until Messiah the Prince, There shall be seven weeks and sixty-two weeks; The street shall be built again, and the wall, Even in troublesome times." The angel who was explaining the prophecy told Daniel to begin counting the 2,300-day and 70-week prophecies from the decree to restore and rebuild Jerusalem. God's people were in captivity in the Medo-Persian empire at this time. The decree to restore and build Jerusalem was made in the seventh year of King Artaxerxes, who began to reign in 464 B.C. (Ezra 7:7). Artaxerxes' decree in 457 B.C. was the only one that specified restoring and rebuilding Jerusalem. This is historical as well.

From the 2,300 days God cut off or 70 weeks or 490 years (a day symbolises a year in prophecy, (Numbers 14:34, Ezekiel 4:6) for the children of Israel to "To finish the transgression, To make an end of sins, To make reconciliation for iniquity, To bring in everlasting righteousness, To seal up vision and prophecy, And to anoint the Most Holy" (Daniel 9:24). God was giving His chosen nation one last chance, a 490-year opportunity to accomplish its purpose of presenting the Messiah to the world. In Daniel 9:26-27 we are told in the middle of the last week which is seven years, "Messiah shall be cut off, but not for Himself". Jesus would be "cut off," or crucified. That takes us to the year A.D. 31, which is the year Jesus was crucified. Those were the last years the Jews had as a chosen nation. The 70 week period ended in A.D. 34. The Jews officially rejected the gospel message in A.D. 34 when Stephen, a righteous deacon, was publicly stoned (Acts 7:54-60).

In A.D. 34, there remained 1,810 years of the 2,300-day prophecy. Adding 1,810 years to A.D. 34 brings us to the year of 1844. That is how the SDA's came up with 1844. The angel told Daniel in Chapter 8:14, “And he said to me, “For two thousand three hundred days; then the sanctuary shall be cleansed” (The earthly sanctuary was destroyed in A.D. 70. by the Roman army so the verse is not referring to it). 1844 marked the end of the 2,300 years. That is when the Day of Atonement began in heaven. Unlike on earth when the Day of atonement was one day, in heaven its a period of time. The Day of Atonement (Yom Kippur) was a day the Jews associated with Judgment. The high priest’s actions represented the cleansing of the sanctuary, the wiping out of sin and the salvation of Israel. This earthly cleansing represented a heavenly cleansing, when all of the sins of God’s people throughout the ages will be removed. Jesus, our high priest in heaven (Hebrews 4:14-16; 8:1-5), began removing the records of sin from the heavenly sanctuary (Revelation 20:12; Acts 3:19-21) in 1844. This is the first phase of the judgment and its called the pre-advent judgment or the investigative judgement because it takes place before Jesus' second coming. The investigative judgement or pre advent judgement is the Day of Atonement except in heaven its not a day but a period of time since Jesus has to cleanse, blot or wipe the sanctuary of all mankind's sins from the beginning of this world till the end. When Jesus returns obviously He will know who is saved and who isn't because of this judgement. "And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be" (Revelation 22:12). I have a forum on this subject too.

This is a brief explanation (believe it or not) on this difficult subject that most Christians don't know about too or understand. If you don't understand the heavenly sanctuary message, you won't understand the investigative judgment that has to take place before Jesus returns. Its also a subject that is entirely biblical and harmonises with the rest of the Bible. One of the reasons there are so many false doctrines in Christendom that do not go hand in hand with the whole Bible is not understanding certain subjects in the Bible and the heavenly sanctuary/temple is one of them. EW is right about this subject.

What?!? That is NOT the Jesus Christ of the Holy Bible.
Like I said you misunderstood EW and one of the reasons for that is you took her out of context and the other is you don't know or understand the subjects she wrote about. She is entirely right and if you want to prove her wrong you will have to read her writings in context first. Have you even ever read anything she wrote apart from those out of context links? If you haven't then its not fair for you to jump to conclusions is it? Like I said to someone else here, the Bible tells us to test the spirits to see if they speaks according to God's Word. "Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world" (1 John 4:1). Until you do, you really don't know what you're talking about do you?!

Heb 9:12 but through His own blood, He entered the holy place once for all, having obtained eternal redemption. 13 For if the blood of goats sanctify for the cleansing of the flesh, 14 how much more will the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered Himself without blemish to God, cleanse your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?
It would be better if you read the whole chapter 9 of Hebrews especially verses 1-15, because they contrast Jesus' ministry in the heavenly sanctuary with that of the priests in the earthly sanctuary with its two apartments. While Jesus entered the heavenly temple once, like the the earthly sanctuary it has two rooms. The holy place and the most holy place. Jesus did not go into both of those rooms simultaneously. He went into the holy place first where there would first be His general intercession as was done in the earthly sanctuary. Later, at the right time, the Day of Atonement (Yom Kippur) of the world would come (it already came), 1844 till just before His Second Coming for His people. Paul does explain all this all through the book of Hebrews. He wrote to people who understood the earthly sanctuary. Of course Hebrews is not the only New Testament book that deals with this topic. The book of Revelation also has significant things to say about it.

1 Pet 3:18 For Christ also died for sins once for all, in order that He might bring us to God, having been put to death in the flesh…
True and no Christian worth their salt would ever say any different and the includes EW.

1 Pet 2:24 and He Himself bore our sins in His body on the cross, that we might die to sin and live to righteousness; for by His wounds you were healed.
Again true. EW's writings agree too. I know since I've read some of her writings. I will quote from one of her books I've read that agrees entirely with this verse:

"Christ was treated as we deserve that we may be treated as He deserves. He was condemned for our sins, in which He had no share, that we might be justified by His righteousness, in which we had no share. He suffered the death which was ours, that we might receive the life which was His. 'By His stripes we are healed.” Ellen G. White, The Desire of Age.

I love this passage. When I first read it, I understood Jesus' sacrifice for us on a deeper level. He was treated as we deserve that we may be treated as He deserves. God did that for us. I should pay for my own sins but Jesus says, if you accept me as your personal Saviour, I will pay the penalty on your behalf. He is innocent yet He loves me so much to do that for me. There are no words to express what Christ did for us all.

Heb 9:25 Nor did He enter heaven to offer himself again and again, the way the high priest enters the Most Holy Place every year with blood that is not his own. 26 Then Christ would have had to suffer many times since the creation of the world. But now He has appeared once for all at the end of the ages to do away with sin by the sacrifice of himself. 27 Just as man is destined to die once, and after that to face judgment, 28 so Christ was sacrificed once to take away the sins of many people; and He will appear a second time, not to bear sin, but to bring salvation to those who are waiting for Him
These verses are telling us that when Jesus was sacrificed once and for all for our sins unlike the earthly sanctuary system where the priest had to enter the Most Holy place every year to sacrifice animal blood that symbolised Christ's blood. Christ offered a single, perfect, permanent shedding of blood in order to cover human sin. Christ serves in a better temple, and that He offers a superior sacrifice. The physical temple, and its implements, were meant to be symbols of Christ's ''true'' place of service in heaven. Unlike limited sacrifices of animals, Jesus' single death was able to completely save us from sin.

Yes, God does have a church, and it's every believer in Christ. Attend a doctrinally sound local church... but follow Christ. I've seen people follow their local church right into the ground because they put their faith into it.
I don't follow a church, I follow God. I attend a church that teaches Bible doctrine and if it didn't I would not attend it. For me its about God and His truth NOT a church. Do you attend a doctrinally sound church? Do you go to church on the true Sabbath not the man-made sabbath? Does your church teach that we must be obedient to God's law and will and if we don't we won't be saved? Does your church teach that when Jesus comes back the second time He will come back in power and glory and "every eye" will see Him and it won't be secret? Does your church teach that when a person dies they don't go straight to heaven or hell, they are unconscious (asleep) and "know not anything"? Does your church teach about the heavenly temple? If not, its the wrong church. All that and more is biblical doctrine not denominational. Did you know that biblically the truth is never with the majority even within Christianity? The truth even sounds weird to most Christians let alone people of the world. It certainly does here.

John 12:26 “Whoever serves me must follow me; and where I am, my servant also will be. My Father will honor the one who serves me.”
Good scripture, and we serve God by doing His will and following Him, not a church or false doctrine. That is exactly what I've been saying here.

Matthew 7:21, "Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven.

John 15:10, "If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love, just as I have kept My Father’s commandments and abide in His love."

You're doing what other posters have done here and just copied and pasted what a blog that disagrees with SDA's said without really knowing what you're talking about. In doing so they got their facts wrong as have you. At least research the subjects you are accusing SDA's of getting wrong. Clearly you didn't.

Last edited:

phipps

Star
You do not have to look far...Christ is the Church, the head of the body. Quit trying to complicate things. We are sinners, and Christ is the answers.
How am I complicating things? Are you so naive or ignorant or both to think all churches are equal when it comes to God's truth? That they all teach the true message of God according to His Word?

I have met Christians here who all claim to follow God's Word but some do not believe they have to be obedient to God's commandments and even say they were abolished which is contrary to the Bible. They believe all they need is faith and they will be saved even though the Bible says obedience pleases God (John 8:29) and obedience is the basis on which the redeemed will regain the right to the Tree of Life (Revelation 22:14). I have met Christians who believe in once saved always saved even though the Bible clearly says if we turn away from righteousness then we are no longer saved and our names can be removed from the book of life too. I have met Christians who believe God is going to burn the wicked in hell for all eternity even though most of them barely lived 100 years on earth. Christians who've said they don't have to get baptised even though Jesus got baptised and commanded that His disciples baptise all those who accept Him in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit (Matthew 28:19-20), and the list goes on and on.

We live in a sinful world with the devil in it and he has contorted the truth of God's Word and confused a lot of Christians. Many trust what is taught to them in their churches instead of studying God's Word for themselves and finding out if what they are being taught is the truth.

So yes Christ is the head of the Church but the true church, not all churches. I have a forum about Catholicism here for example, which is a religion that calls itself Christian even though most of its beliefs stem from paganism. Do you really think God is head of that church? They even have a pope who says he is head of the church. There are sincere Catholics but Christ is not head of that church because its doctrine is false. Your simple statement is wrong I'm afraid.

Last edited: