Qualifications To Be A Christian

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoChris

Superstar
I actually knew of some people who were just like that. You'll just have to take my following story and trust that I was actually there.

Now I had an extremely destructive relationship in my late teens. I was very emotionally scarred by it and another Christian woman recognised that. Even though I was happily married and expecting my first child I still struggled with self-hatred etc.

She told me after I explained a little that she was an incest survivor and invited me to go to a special women's group which was designed specifically for Christian women who had suffered sexual abuse while growing up. I thought I didn't really qualify but I went anyway.

The honesty and the self-disclosure of these women was both incredible and heartbreaking. It really stuck with me the amount that had been sexually abused over many years by so-called Christian fathers, grandfathers and uncles. These men used their church status as deacons etc as a silencing agent. "Who would believe me?" was commonly said.

There really are evil "Christian" men in respected church positions. How anybody could do that to any child enrages me enough without a so-called Christian man doing that.... if they don't get justice in this life, then if those men never truly repented they will end up in Hell for sure.

JoChris

Superstar
And here is the bible passsage to support my last statement:

Matthew 18:1 At the same time came the disciples unto Jesus, saying, Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?
2 And Jesus called a little child unto him, and set him in the midst of them,
3 And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.
4 Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven.
5 And whoso shall receive one such little child in my name receiveth me.
6 But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea.
7 Woe unto the world because of offences! for it must needs be that offences come; but woe to that man by whom the offence cometh!

Here is the link to an online version of the book we used (we used the companion workbook too) https://openlibrary.org/works/OL1884112W/The_Wounded_Heart

Amazon has many copies too. Newer edition link here. https://www.amazon.com/Wounded-Heart-Victims-Childhood-Sexual/dp/1600063071

Christians quoting Matthew 18 where Jesus says to get into the kingdom of heaven you have to be pure as children (I agree)... so where does the concept of original sin and atonment fit in with that? Do Christians follow Jesus Christ or do they follow Paul?

rainerann

Star
And here is the bible passsage to support my last statement:

Matthew 18:1 At the same time came the disciples unto Jesus, saying, Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?
2 And Jesus called a little child unto him, and set him in the midst of them,
3 And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.
4 Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven.
5 And whoso shall receive one such little child in my name receiveth me.
6 But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea.
7 Woe unto the world because of offences! for it must needs be that offences come; but woe to that man by whom the offence cometh!

Here is the link to an online version of the book we used (we used the companion workbook too) https://openlibrary.org/works/OL1884112W/The_Wounded_Heart

Amazon has many copies too. Newer edition link here. https://www.amazon.com/Wounded-Heart-Victims-Childhood-Sexual/dp/1600063071
I worked through the same book. It was one of the most challenging and rewarding spiritual experiences of my life and it helped me understand what it really means to be a Christian. Being a Christian is not a list of rules. It is a gift. Working through the workbook helped me open this gift and the healing I have received in my Spirit continues to heal the world around me that was damaged by the way abuse made me feel before.

This verse really demonstrates the process for me.

"I will lead the blind by ways they have not known, along unfamiliar paths I will guide them; I will turn the darkness into light before them and make the rough places smooth. These are the things I will do; I will not forsake them." (Isaiah 42:16).

I was blind and God led me to smooth places.

People need spiritual healing. I know a lot of times people expect a lot from Christians because Jesus was awesome, but sometimes these people are just broken people going to Jesus because they need help too.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
@grateful servant

The Jesus/Paul issue seems to crop up fairly often so here's my take on it. I haven't read it anywhere but it is just how it has appeared to me from my reading.

During Jesus' ministry, he gradually and progressively unfolded his purpose in coming to earth. It was very late on that he told his disciples he would die, and began to explain the implications of his death. What the Resurrection was to accomplish and what the purpose of the infilling of the Holy Spirit would mean was yet to be revealed. What consequence the rejection of this message by the Jews who stoned Steven would have, and how the Gospel would be extended to the Gentiles again we're future issues not dealt with in the Gospels.

God didn't stop talking to Christians when Jesus ascended. He sent the Holy Spirit. The book of Acts and the letters (including Paul's) contain the further unpacking of meaning in the Gospels, drawing out the significances of Jesus' life, work, death and resurrection.

@grateful servant

The Jesus/Paul issue seems to crop up fairly often so here's my take on it. I haven't read it anywhere but it is just how it has appeared to me from my reading.

During Jesus' ministry, he gradually and progressively unfolded his purpose in coming to earth. It was very late on that he told his disciples he would die, and began to explain the implications of his death. What the Resurrection was to accomplish and what the purpose of the infilling of the Holy Spirit would mean was yet to be revealed. What consequence the rejection of this message by the Jews who stoned Steven would have, and how the Gospel would be extended to the Gentiles again we're future issues not dealt with in the Gospels.

God didn't stop talking to Christians when Jesus ascended. He sent the Holy Spirit. The book of Acts and the letters (including Paul's) contain the further unpacking of meaning in the Gospels, drawing out the significances of Jesus' life, work, death and resurrection.
Thanks for your reply although I really do not see how you can reconcile the two at all - I'd be interested in hearing what you have to say about the third prophet that the Jews were expecting when they questioned John the Baptist. I made a thread about it.

floss

Star
Just the belief that Jesus was sent by god/divinely inspired to show us how we should live our lives. A living message. WWJD.

He doesn't have to be literally god to be those things.
sound like you're an ex-catholics that is on the fence or may already converted to islam. like I said catholics & islam is buddy buddy

Pope Francis: ‘Muslim Terrorism Does Not Exist’
http://www.breitbart.com/national-security/2017/02/17/pope-francis-muslim-terrorism-not-exist/

Pope says Koran is a book of peace and Islam is a peaceful religion
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/news/video-1140549/Pope-says-Koran-book-peace-Islam-peaceful-religion.html

Pope Francis says it is wrong to equate violence with Islam, adding that "I do not believe that it is true or right that Islam is terrorist."
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/08/01/488223541/pope-francis-say-it-is-wrong-to-identify-islam-with-violence

Pope Francis denies that Islam is violent
https://cruxnow.com/world-youth-day-krakow/2016/07/31/pope-francis-denies-islam-violent/

I wonder why he went out his way to protect islam hm? maybe because he is protecting the Jesuit's creation.

###
Qualification of a Christian?
- The only savior is GOD and he is JESUS (not prophet)
- Crucifixion and Resurrection of Jesus Christ
- You're saved by grace plus NOTHING

Kung Fu

Superstar
An alcoholic who becomes a Christian still needs support to become a non-alcoholic and remain there.
After all Alcoholism is a physical condition as well as a spiritual one.

Some Christians may break the cycle completely after conversion, others might struggle with backsliding in this area for quite some time. This is where some mercy and personal support would be far more constructive than merely claiming that person is not a real Christian.

A alcoholic who saw no wrong with their heavy drinking but after becoming a Christian suddenly recognises it as sin and tries to stop - that is a very promising sign of real conversion.
None of this makes any real sense. An alcoholic, who is addicted to alcohol, simply cannot stop drinking heavily by drinking alcohol only in small amounts. This is why when these alcoholics join groups they're told to stop drinking alcohol completely. Just as you wouldn't tell a person addicted to crack to only take hits every other day you don't tell an alcoholic to drink every other day.

No one is born an alcoholic. It always starts with just one drink and then bang they're swimming in it.

Kung Fu

Superstar
Yawn, license to sin. Are you obsessed with it? Is cussing a sin? If so, seem like a lot of muslims here love that license.
Muslims will have to answer for their sins during Judgement. Muslims are to be held accountable for their actions just as the court systems hold a rapist accountable for their actions.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
Thanks for your reply although I really do not see how you can reconcile the two at all - I'd be interested in hearing what you have to say about the third prophet that the Jews were expecting when they questioned John the Baptist. I made a thread about it.
Sorry GF - I had a look for the thread - do you have a link?

floss

Star
Muslims will have to answer for their sins during Judgement. Muslims are to be held accountable for their actions just as the court systems hold a rapist accountable for their actions.
They sure will without a savior that make them righteous in the eyes of God.

Status
Not open for further replies.