Does God Love Unconditionally?

“Whoever loves God rightly, must not demand that God love him in return”

-Baruch Spinoza

A complex statement for sure. One way of understanding it is that love is unselfish. To show God’s love, you love without the expectation of a reward from God.

So no I don’t believe that God loves us, because God is not a sentient all powerful being ruling Earth from an alternate dimension. God is life and the universe itself, from the microorganism to human interactions. God is the infinite reaction of cause and effect and the ever-expanding universe, every law of physics and everything else in between. To a point, evolution itself and everything in existence but it is not a sentient being in the Heavens.

Humans are capable of expressing unconditional love though, as the admirable @justjess displays with her love to her friends.

elsbet

Superstar
There’s been a lot of stories in the news of parents doing horrific things to their own children, so that supernatural love of a parent for a child is weakening. As I suspect that they can’t love unconditionally either but they don’t bother to pretend they do.

What does unconditional love mean to you then?
I'm not talking about the psychos.

I'm gonna repost this, Lisa.

It defies logic, and it is hardwired into most (certainly not all) parents.​
That was in response to this, from you--

Sure, you’d still love them but doesn’t being pissed at them and majorly disappointed mean you don’t love them unconditionally?
I would venture that if you failed to be pissed or disappointed with your own child (or anyone you loved, really), when they did wrong, then you didn't really love them, in the first place. You would have to be an automaton or brain dead to feel nothing-- that anger or disappointment is (9 times out of 10) rooted in concern for their welfare, both currently and in the future---> their survival.

You ever see that movie 2012? There was a villainous man, Yuri, who had twins-- each of them, both father and sons, were cruel sons of bitches. However.. note the first 10 seconds of this clip--

That man went to great lengths to secure a place on those ships for his boys and himself-- but in the end, his own life meant nothing to him-->> getting his children to safety was his only objective, and he gave his life for them, without hesitation. Idk about anyone else but I cried at that scene. :D Made in the 'image' of God, indeed... I'm sure you see the parallel-- that stuff is profound.

What does unconditional love mean to you then?
It is beyond our comprehension. I don't think humans are capable of it, apart from God. As I said before-- the parent-child relationship is the closest we can get to understanding the phenomenon. See @justjess above.

Lisa

Superstar
I'm not talking about the psychos.
Neither am I.
Matthew‬ ‭24:12
Because lawlessness is increased, most people’s love will grow cold.

‭‭
I would venture that if you failed to be pissed or disappointed with your own child (or anyone you loved, really), when they did wrong, then you didn't really love them, in the first place.
That’s not in doubt, the doubt is the unconditional part. If you truly had unconditional love...you wouldn’t be bothered by anything your child did no matter what they did. That would be loving without conditions.

That man went to great lengths to secure a place on those ships for his boys and himself-- but in the end, his own life meant nothing to him-->> getting his children to safety was his only objective, and he gave his life for them, without hesitation. Idk about anyone else but I cried at that scene. :D Made in the 'image' of God, indeed... I'm sure you see the parallel-- that stuff is profound.
It’s easier to give your life for someone you love than for someone who doesn’t deserve it. This one act of his doesn’t mean he loved that child unconditionally.

It is beyond our comprehension. I don't think humans are capable of it, apart from God. As I said before-- the parent-child relationship is the closest we can get to understanding the phenomenon. See @justjess above.
I don’t think it’s beyond comprehension...I don’t think anyone can live like that and probably shouldn’t live like that now that I think about it. Love someone so that nothing they do is wrong? That wouldn’t be good.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
It’s easier to give your life for someone you love than for someone who doesn’t deserve it. This one act of his doesn’t mean he loved that child unconditionally.
Never has the gap between the one who loves and the one who is loved greater, or less conditional (in the correct sense) than in Jesus’s death for sinful, wretched folk...

Romans 5

6 For when we were still without strength, [d]in due time Christ died for the ungodly. 7 For scarcely for a righteous man will one die; yet perhaps for a good man someone would even dare to die. 8 But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

Last edited:

Lisa

Superstar
Never has the gap between the one who loves and the one who is loved greater, or less conditional (in the correct sense) than in Jesus’s death for sinful, wretched folk...

Romans 5

6 For when we were still without strength, [d]in due time Christ died for the ungodly. 7 For scarcely for a righteous man will one die; yet perhaps for a good man someone would even dare to die. 8 But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
One must still believe on Him though.

elsbet

Superstar
Your definition of Unconditional Love is the issue, here--
... If you truly had unconditional love...you wouldn’t be bothered by anything your child did no matter what they did. That would be loving without conditions.
Unconditional Love does not mean one is unphased by the 'wrong' actions of the person who is the object of that love.

It means you love them IN SPITE of those wrong actions.
Obviously, you can define it any way you like, but I believe the above is the definition most people accept.

... God proves His love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. ROMANS 5:8
-

Lisa

Superstar
Your definition of Unconditional Love is the issue, here--

Unconditional Love does not mean one is unphased by the 'wrong' actions of the person who is the object of that love.

It means you love them IN SPITE of those wrong actions.
Obviously, you can define it any way you like, but I believe the above is the definition most people accept.

... God proves His love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. ROMANS 5:8

-
Isn’t that just love..you love people even though they do wrong things? Unconditional love is something else entirely, it’s not limited and to have boundaries is a limit. To get mad at someone is a limit. Unconditional love then is to have no limits not even when someone does wrong. I love this person but is a limit.

You can love your kids but if you really love them then you put limits on their behavior...you don’t allow them bad behavior. By doing that then you can’t say you love them unconditionally. And like I say, you don't want to love someone without limits, it’s not good for them.

What’s wrong with just saying you love someone and not say you love them unconditionally? And if you answered anything from what I’ve said...I’d really like this to be answered...thank you!

Dalit

Star
Psalm 17:7-8 (NASB) Wonderously show Your lovingkindness, O Savior of those who take refuge at Your right hand from those who rise up against them. Keep me as the apple of the eye; hide me in the shadow of Your wings.

Lovingkindness is the Hebrew word chesed, which means steadfast love, ever increasing fidelity. Like the hymn "O Love that Will Not Let Me Go". His love won't let go. So, yes, God's love is unconditional.

Is people's love unconditional? Sometimes it is. This unconditional love is the Greek word agape in the New Testament and Jesus insists we strive toward loving this way. It's not in our strength but His. Yet, since there is common grace and the same rain falls on the just and unjust, even those one may think are not Christians or not as good of a Christian as one may think one is (pride) can actually flow in agape or unconditional love at times. It's because God is good. He does love all. The times I've experienced agape are when I've just had a sudden strong love for someone, especially someone who has hurt me, even cut me deep in the past. All that fades away and I love them again. Doesn't mean I'll be all buddy buddy with them, but I genuinely want to bless them and pray for their health and welfare. That, in a small sense, is agape love. It doesn't come naturally but is supernatural. It's in the kindness of strangers. It's everywhere if we have eyes to see. Be on the lookout for it.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
@Lisa

I wonder...

Do you think it is possible to love somebody and yet judge their actions severely?

A mother of a prisoner on death row may honestly tell the judge about the way her child murdered her husband with a hammer in a fit of temper in their lounge, yet still love their angry, impetuous child as their honest testimony sends them to their punishment. Would love lie? I personally hate being “bad cop” but sometimes I have to do it out of love.

Where the debate gets confused is over the idea that God cannot both love sinners and act justly at the same time.

elsbet

Superstar
Isn’t that just love..you love people even though they do wrong things? Unconditional love is something else entirely, it’s not limited and to have boundaries is a limit. To get mad at someone is a limit. Unconditional love then is to have no limits not even when someone does wrong. I love this person but is a limit.

You can love your kids but if you really love them then you put limits on their behavior...you don’t allow them bad behavior. By doing that then you can’t say you love them unconditionally. And like I say, you don't want to love someone without limits, it’s not good for them.

What’s wrong with just saying you love someone and not say you love them unconditionally? And if you answered anything from what I’ve said...I’d really like this to be answered...thank you!
I've answered it twice, now, and I disagree with you-- the biblical definition (as defined by commentators, expositors and our peers) is also in disagreement with you.

I've already said I don't think humans are capable of unconditional love-- the parent-child relationship is the closest we can get.

Getting angry is an emotion-- it is not a condition... you said yourself that it doesn't mean you will stop loving your kids. Having said that, I'm done with this exchange.

:)

Lisa

Superstar
@Lisa

I wonder...

Do you think it is possible to love somebody and yet judge their actions severely?

A mother of a prisoner on death row may honestly tell the judge about the way her child murdered her husband with a hammer in a fit of temper in their lounge, yet still love their angry, impetuous child as their honest testimony sends them to their punishment. Would love lie? I personally hate being “bad cop” but sometimes I have to do it out of love.

Where the debate gets confused is over the idea that God cannot both love sinners and act justly at the same time.
I know you hate to be the bad cop, Red but people could do with more bad cop sometimes instead of always trying to be the good guy.

Yes I think you can love someone and judge their actions but that wouldn’t be unconditional love would it? If you loved someone and didn’t judge them at all would be unconditional love is all I’m saying.

And I don’t really understand all the brouhaha over saying that. I didn’t say you don’t love someone..all I’m saying is you don’t love someone unconditionally.

I have experience with the love of a parent whose child murdered someone. My own brother is a murderer. My parents had/have a very hard time accepting their child did something so horrible and so chose to see him in a good light and chose to disown me when I tried to bring up the obvious, that’s he did indeed murder someone.

There is a lot of denial that goes on that your precious child didn’t really do that and you and try to treat them as normal as possible, and at this point I would say that is unconditional love. Where you never mention the wrongs that person has ever done and just love them anyway. Only that’s not true. My brother did kill someone and that should be talked about and dealt with honestly. Idk if my parents ever dealt with it honestly or if they continue to see just their son without acknowledging why he will be in prison for the rest of his life...I know that recently they went to testify positively for him in yet another trial for him where the third jury found him guilty. And I would argue that unconditional love is not a good thing but bad.

Glad 2 know

Veteran
Does God love unconditionally?

Does God love us unconditionally? Some people seem to think yes, He does, because they say that God is love. I think that God’s love is a different kind of love than ours. The real kind of love that dies for a sinner, not because the sinner deserves it but because God loves. Scripture tells us that while we were yet sinners Christ died for us. (Romans 5:8) It may be that that is why people think God loves unconditionally, but I don’t believe that’s true..if God loved unconditionally then no one would have to die for our sins. We could keep sinning and sinning and have no problems with God, but that isn’t the case, we sin and we have problems with God who hates sin.
Yes, Yahweh does love unconditionally. Yes we ALL err but yet he offers forgiveness and even if our sins are as red as scarlet, he forgives until those sins are as white as snow, as long as we sincerely repent and turn back and keep from repeating the sins. He knows how imperfect we are so he's reasonable and knows we'll stumble but he knows we're capable of turning around to do good.
God hates sin so much that there is a place where sinners will go one day, after they die and that place is called hell. Jesus tells us that there is weeping and gnashing of teeth (Matt 13:42, Matt 13:50, Matt 25:30, Matt 8:12, Matt 25:41, Matt 22:13, Matt 13:28) there and that its a furnace of fire that people will be thrown into (Matt 13:42, Matt 13:50) aka hell. You don’t want to go there and He made is so you don’t have to, someone else paid that price for you.
There is no hell. There is the grave and the second death. The deceiver wants you to think God is cruel and is ok with torment while the deceiver roams around "faultless".
If God loved us unconditionally, after we are saved, then God wouldn’t do any work on us at all, yet He does. We are told that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Jesus Christ. (Phil 1:6) He also tells us that anyone in Christ is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come. (2Cor 5:17) Since this is the case then God doesn’t really love people unconditionally.
He loves humanity so much that he promises to wipe out ALL suffering, the causes of suffering and even death. Revelation 21:3,4 and bring about new heavens and a new earth.
However, that isn’t to say that one must clean up their lives to come to God. We can also say that you aren’t able to make your life clean on your own..sin stands in the way and you can only come to God as you are-a sinner. The Bible tells us for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. (Romans 3:23)You don’t have to clean up your life to come to God, you can come to Him just as you are and God will give you rest. Jesus tell us we will find rest for our souls (Matt 11:29) But and this is big...God will not leave you the way He finds you and will start a process in your life whereby He takes out all the old in you and creates in you a clean heart. Eph 4:22-24, Ps 51:10.
This requirement isn't unreasonable since God is the Creator and he wants nothing but goodness. Who doesn't want nothing but goodness? I personally, am so tired of badness and evil and I wish it didn't exist. If someone kept disrespecting you repeatedly and you knew that person could change, would you want to deal with that person that didn't want to change? If that person changed and apologized to you and didn't disrespect you anymore, wouldn't you give that person a chance? Why would God be any different?
Ezekiel‬ ‭18:32
For I have no pleasure in the death of anyone who dies,” declares the Lord GOD. “Therefore, repent and live.”
‭‭‬ ‭
Love this scripture, he does not feel happy when AnyOne dies, the devil does. So God wants Everyone to obey his commandments, work hard at avoiding sin and enjoy life.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
I know you hate to be the bad cop, Red but people could do with more bad cop sometimes instead of always trying to be the good guy.

Yes I think you can love someone and judge their actions but that wouldn’t be unconditional love would it? If you loved someone and didn’t judge them at all would be unconditional love is all I’m saying.

And I don’t really understand all the brouhaha over saying that. I didn’t say you don’t love someone..all I’m saying is you don’t love someone unconditionally.

I have experience with the love of a parent whose child murdered someone. My own brother is a murderer. My parents had/have a very hard time accepting their child did something so horrible and so chose to see him in a good light and chose to disown me when I tried to bring up the obvious, that’s he did indeed murder someone.

There is a lot of denial that goes on that your precious child didn’t really do that and you and try to treat them as normal as possible, and at this point I would say that is unconditional love. Where you never mention the wrongs that person has ever done and just love them anyway. Only that’s not true. My brother did kill someone and that should be talked about and dealt with honestly. Idk if my parents ever dealt with it honestly or if they continue to see just their son without acknowledging why he will be in prison for the rest of his life...I know that recently they went to testify positively for him in yet another trial for him where the third jury found him guilty. And I would argue that unconditional love is not a good thing but bad.
What a thing to live through, Lisa.

Counsellors dealing with clients are recommended to display the following traits...

- Empathy
- Congruence
- Unconditional Positive Regard

Most counsellors struggle to combine all three attributes in dealing with dysfunctional clients, who are often abrasive, wounded, unwise and desperate. Seeing the good in someone while pointing out the bad is humanly possible, yet very challenging.

I thought this might have something to do with your brother. In any event, I'm posting this from WikiHow...yes, Wiki, and I think it's a good summation of everything everyone's been stating to you, Lisa. And I assure you, I DID NOT write the last sentence as it's part of the article:

How to Love Unconditionally
Love is hard to define. From poets to psychologists to everyday people, the endless effort to explain what love is and means beyond “you know it when you feel it” has led to innumerable results. Making things even trickier is the concept of unconditional love, which some say is the only true kind of love, while others call it impossible. To believe in unconditional love, and to actually love unconditionally, requires a great deal of thought, action, and faith. Only you can decide if and how you can (or should) love unconditionally, but the following article will hopefully assist you on that path.

1. Consider the types of love that exist. The ancient Greeks did so, and defined four variations, as identified in How to Define Love. Of the four, the term agape most closely equates to unconditional love. Agape love is a choice, a decision made to love regardless of circumstances or disappointments.
• Thus, unconditional love means loving another in their essence, as they are, no matter what they do or fail to do. People with children usually seem to understand this notion best of all.​
• It is also learned and practiced. You must choose to love unconditionally.​
• Parents might counter that they had no choice but to love their children from the moment they laid eyes on them, but that initial flush of attachment is, perhaps imperceptibly, replaced by an ongoing decision to love the child regardless of circumstances.​

2. Realize that unconditional love is not being “blinded” by love. A person who has newly fallen in love with another is often in this state, where they don't see the other person’s full reality, faults and all.
• Such a state of love is (or at least should be) temporary, and needs to be replaced by a longer-term, “eyes wide open” type of love if the love is to last.​
• To love someone without conditions you need to be AWARE of the conditions, good and bad.​
"Unconditional Love is not the case of being blinded by love but rather the resolution that nothing is more important than love."
- Talidari​

3. Consider whether romantic love can be unconditional. Some say no, because romantic love must function conditionally, as a partnership based on feelings, actions, and expectations. In this view, you can never love your spouse in the same unconditional manner as your child.
• However, love is not the same thing as a relationship. Relationships are conditional, a “working partnership.” An unconditional relationship is a recipe for one-sided domination.​
• Thus, a relationship can end because the partnership does not function properly, and yet unconditional love toward the other person can remain. Sometimes ending a relationship can be the way to love unconditionally.​

4. Think of unconditional love as an action more than a feeling. We usually consider love to be a feeling, but feelings are a response to something we “get” from someone or something. Therefore, feelings are conditional.
UNCONDITIONAL LOVE IS THE CHOICE TO STRIVE FOR THE WELL-BEING OF ANOTHER. The feeling you derive from acting with love is your reward, the return you “get” from your own action.​
• To love unconditionally is to act with love under all conditions.​
• If you have to do something, or be a certain way, in order to receive love, that love is conditional. If it is given to you freely and without reservation, it is unconditional.​

Part Two of Two:
Giving Unconditional Love

1. Love yourself unconditionally. Unconditional love starts at home, with oneself. You know your own flaws and shortcomings better than anyone else, and better than you can ever know anyone else’s. Being able to love yourself despite this unsurpassable awareness of your own faults puts you in the position to be able to offer the same to others.
• You must be able to recognize, accept, and forgive your own imperfections in order to do the same for someone else. If you cannot deem yourself worthy of being loved unconditionally, you’ll never truly be able to deem yourself worthy of offering it.​

2. Make the loving choice. Always ask yourself, “What is the most loving thing I can do for this particular person in this particular moment?”. Love isn't one size fits all; what might be a loving act toward one person could be harmful to another person, in that it doesn't help them get closer to becoming a truly happy human being.
• Unconditional love is a new decision you need to make in every situation, not a hard and fast rule you can apply to everyone all the time.​
• For instance, if you have two friends dealing with the loss of a loved one, being the shoulder to cry on and engaging in long talks may be the loving choice for one, while granting some distance and silence may be so for the other.​
• If you aren't sure what is the best way to help someone, you can ask them "How can I help you with this right now?"​
3. Forgive those you love. Even if someone doesn't apologize, it's inherently loving to both them and yourself to let go of your anger and resentment toward them. Keep in mind Piero Ferrucci's advice that forgiving "is not something we do, but something we are."
• In religious terms, you’ll hear the phrase “hate the sin, love the sinner.” Loving someone unconditionally does not mean liking every action they take or choice they make; it means not letting such things interfere with your desire for the best for that person in all things.​
• If someone you love says something hurtful in anger, the loving choice is usually to let them know those words hurt you, but also to forgive their indiscretion. Help them to grow and yet know that they are loved.​
• But don't mistake being willing to forgive for letting people walk all over you. Extricating yourself from an environment in which you are repeatedly mistreated or taken advantage of can be a loving choice for both yourself and the other person.​

4. Don’t expect to shield someone you love from all discomfort and pain. Part of loving someone is fostering their growth as a person, and pain and discomfort are an inescapable part of growth in this life. Unconditional love means doing what you can to make the other person happy and comfortable, but also helping them grow through their inevitable experiences of discomfort.
• Don’t lie to “protect” the feelings of someone you love; support them in dealing with their feelings in the face of pain.​
• For example, lying about a dire financial situation to spare pain is likely to foster more pain and distrust in the long run. Instead, be honest, supportive, and eager to work together to find solutions.​
5. Love more by “caring” less. Wait; isn’t caring what love is all about? Yes, you want to “care” for a person in the sense that you strive for their well-being and happiness. You don’t want to “care” in the sense that your love is predicated on specific outcomes, which by definition is conditional.
• So, not “I don’t care what you decide [because your well-being is irrelevant to me];” but instead “I don’t care what you decide [because I just love you regardless of your choices and actions].”​
• You don’t love in return for actions that make you happy; you derive happiness from the act of loving unconditionally.​

6. Accept yourself and those you love as is. You are far from perfect, and yet you are perfectly capable of offering love; they are likewise imperfect, but worthy of being offered love.
Unconditional love is about acceptance—about not expecting others to make you happy through their choices and how they live. You can’t control others, only yourself.​
• Your brother may be notorious for his bad choices, but that should have no bearing upon your love for him. Don't love because of how someone lives, but simply because they live.​

(source)

Lisa

Superstar
What a thing to live through, Lisa.

Counsellors dealing with clients are recommended to display the following traits...

- Empathy
- Congruence
- Unconditional Positive Regard

Most counsellors struggle to combine all three attributes in dealing with dysfunctional clients, who are often abrasive, wounded, unwise and desperate. Seeing the good in someone while pointing out the bad is humanly possible, yet very challenging.
Ya, it was a hard thing to live through since my parents disowned me for 16 years and never have apologized to me for punishing me instead of the one who deserved it. Though the punishment went both ways in that I was so hurt and angry back at them, loved them and hated them, love really can bring people to opposite emotions at times!

I think now that I think about it is it is possible to love unconditionally if you don’t want to deal with reality but beyond that I don’t think that’s healthy. I also don’t think one can go through their whole lives and love unconditionally, maybe in spurts where you don’t want to deal with reality.

A healthy love is one who lives in truth and sets boundaries and such and so is hard to do as well but like unconditional love it’s hard to do, maybe we all just go from one to another all the time? Either way it’s not a bad thing to say you love and that covers all.

Edit: changed Andy to angry.

Vytas

Star
Yes, that’s it, Robin! That would be uncondit
I would ask that person why he/she is kissing my ass. Idea that they love me, unconditionally at that, wouldn't even cross my mind...Most likely they want something from me. Are you used to reafirm every decision your kids ever made ?Im asking because i think motherly love is as close as we can get towards loving unconditionally...

justjess

Superstar
Denial does not negate actions or feelings. I’m sorry that your parents can’t accept what your brother did and disowned you over it but that doesn’t change what unconditional love is or if it’s possible.

My kids step granddad is a murderer. We love him anyway. We are not under any delusion that he didn’t actually kill someone.

My own grandfather was a career criminal. His kids love him anyway. I never met him, never got the chance. No one is under any delusion over what he did.

I’ve met numerous parents in prison - they were there every weekend visiting their incarcerated sons. None of them denied their child did something wrong. None of them were happy about it. All of them loved their child enough to continue visiting weekly under harsh conditions hours away from their homes.