Bible verses contrasted with false teacher/s' doctrines

JoChris

Superstar
The following are two key verses from 2 Peter 2 that show clear observable signs of a false teacher:

1677749180994.png

1677749520701.png

These so-called Christian teachers eventually reveal openly they have adulterous hearts, worship money and some even curse children. It seems incredible to outsiders that people can be fooled by such people, but sometimes such a teacher does not start out that way. Power corrupts some people terribly.

Over a decade ago now (2011) I got to know a woman at my local bible study who had narrowly missed such a cult. God in his mercy stopped her and her husband from getting heavily into it. The cult's old building was only a few streets away from my house.
https://www.cultfacts.com/cults/agape-ministries

From memory, she had been vunerable to it because she had somewhat weakened health. (In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if she was the woman in the article, but of course I can't be sure.)
It is easy for outsiders to judge people who have joined cults, but she made me realise "there but for the grace of God go I". A person with a little familiarity with bible but also an openness to extra-biblical signs and wonders can be at risk of falling for false promises from a charismatic preacher. A person can be confident they know enough about Jesus and the bible to "chew the meat and spit out the bones".
There is nothing in the bible to support that viewpoint.

All Christians who are interested in apologetics and discernment ministries should be prepared to support ex-believers of cults and false Christian churches as well. That woman had a lot to unlearn before she felt she was ready to be baptised in that Baptist church. She needed to have her heart healed as well as her beliefs corrected.

Last edited:

JoChris

Superstar
1677899066647.png

I have seen pastors preach on the above passage in general terms, usually verses 1-2.
I have also seen frequent references about false teachers/ religions forbidding followers to marry, usually in context to Roman Catholic church not allowing their priests to marry.
However after a recent conversation with an ex-cult believer I was reminded that abstaining from meats is also a sign of a false teacher.

Cults often seem to have a fixation with food, a noticeable difference from mainstream churches who frankly don't preach on self-control (and therefore overeating) enough.
Sometimes people with a desire to lose weight will notice people from a certain church who all look trim, taunt and terrific and want to know what is the secret...

I bet all you normal weight people wonder "who on Earth would think people could be so shallow and leave churches for that of all things"?!! Well some people did, otherwise Gwen Shamblin's church would never have formed. How Gwen Shamblin Went From Diet Guru To An Evangelical ‘Cult’ Leader

JoChris

Superstar
1677901515943.png

Nowhere in the Gospels did Jesus tell us we had to starve ourself to self-harm, to neglect our bodies or deny ourselves sleep to get closer to God. However throughout history people were taught just that by the Roman Catholic church and even otherwise bible-believing preachers did the same. People fall into legalism too readily.

The Colossians passage shows that false teachers don't always limit legalism to meat only, but sometimes make their followers have a way more restricted diet and lifestyle than that!
False teachers - including a self-declared Jesus reincarnated - love to use this manipulation tool to keep their members easily manipulated and weakened. A well-fed mind is more likely to question and act independently of the leader after all...

"We see cults forbidding marriage, or arranging marriages or in the case of David Koresh claiming all women belonged to him. Most cults have some dietary restrictions and forbid certain kinds of foods, not out of common sense or health reasons but out of the desire to "be spiritual" or attain "energy" or to seem pure and exalted above the common lot of mankind. Thus people substitute food for character and handling for holiness. They think "I am good person because I do not eat pork" rather than "I am a good person because I love God and my neighbor." This leads to a false sense of spirituality that is so common in cults (p.4). "

Global Christians - cults

Lyfe

Star
It's more than fair to say that "a Christian" is someone who holds to and accepts the teachings of Jesus Christ and regards them as authoritative. We live in a time where you can now teach and believe in things completely contrary to what Jesus taught and still be regarded as a Christian. If this is so then words and titles no longer have any meaning. The scriptures reveal that God is gracious and merciful. You can be very far from perfect and even struggle with certain sins and still be regarded as a Christian, but when you don't even believe in the very things that Jesus taught and even continue to encourage ideas he was clearly against then that would make you anti Christ and not a Christian. If you speak to most people they flat out deny and reject what Jesus taught. Not only that, but they continue to encourage others in beliefs and teachings that stand in opposition to him. The gospel is what brings a person into the kingdom of God, but when you deny what Jesus taught and fight against these things you are acctually shutting up the kingdom of heaven from people. If you reject Jesus sayings then you don't acctually believe in the gospel that God has called a person to believe in to be redeemed and rescued from the penalty of sin(hell). Jesus said that we are either with him or against him.

...I would redeem them, but they speak lies against me. Hosea 7:13

...if the blind lead the blind, both will fall into a pit.” Matthew 15:14

There is a way that seems right to a man, but its end is the way to death. Proverbs 14:12

Everyone who goes on ahead and does not abide in the teaching of Christ, does not have God. Whoever abides in the teaching has both the Father and the Son. If anyone comes to you and does not bring this teaching, do not receive him into your house or give him any greeting, for whoever greets him takes part in his wicked works. 2 John 1:9-11

JoChris

Superstar
For full context of the exchange between Jesus and Pontius Pilate: John 18:28-38

1678058707206.png

1678058900610.png

True Christian teachers will remind believers that:
*we are to keep our eyes on Heaven
* our days are limited on this Earth
* we are to have different priorities to the world's

Sometimes church leaders actually claim God has revealed to them that they are to take dominion and take control of the world so Jesus will then come to Earth, or one of the postmillennialism positions. (BTW "end-time worldviews" is a controversial issue that many Christians agree to disagree over in general, but in the Age of the Internet is is very easy to find forums and sub-forums to debate the topics non-stop!)

It is one thing for a preacher to teach signs and wonders/ postmillenialism as part of Charismatic church teachings, but they treat it as a minor issue - like the icing on a cake, not the cake itself.
It is quite another to make those issues the complete centre of attention, focusing all the ministries on working to bring Jesus to Earth, through our campaigns, prayer warriors, decreeing and declaring etc.
One extremist group is the New Apostolic Reformation. Christian discernment websites and now YouTube channels have shown how much Charismatic churches and the NAR are starting to merge.

For people wishing to know more in detail about this dangerous ideology:
A very good researcher on NAR: https://www.hollypivec.com/

FIrst video of a long playlist from multiple channels:

JoChris

Superstar
1678061122938.png

1678061777928.png

1678061836437.png
In the early centuries some Gnostic heretics taught Jesus only *appeared* to be in the flesh. https://www.spiritofthescripture.com/id754-the-gnostics-and-christ-in-the-flesh-2-john-17.html

These days false teachers are usually more subtle than that. Until recently even atheists always agreed that a man named Jesus did walk the Earth 2000 years ago. (Nowadays it is more likely for false teachers to downplay Jesus' deity in fact , and that is another topic completely!)

However rarely (what should be) very obvious cases emerge, false teachers claim they are Jesus Himself, choosing to ignore every verse that states clearly Jesus will return to Earth openly, not secretly to a select few.
One such case should be familiar to readers of this forum who have followed the threads for any length of time!

There is not a single verse in the New Testament that says Jesus would be reincarnated one day. NOwhere at all. It doesn't matter how many theories, cut-and-pasting from other religions, pretty diagrams, and propaganda websites and forums from followers pleading King Charles III to hand over the throne in April 2023 to Anthony John Hill (a man from Sheffield born in 1948) convinced them he is Jesus reincarnated...
A man who claims he is Jesus is never to believed and should be rejected immediately.

---
If any Anthony John followers, especially men are reading this:
A man who asks you to turn off your brain 100% and ignore what the bible says is a liar and should never be believed ever. The true God will hold you accountable for not using the mind he gave you. God gave you a body too - fasting 40 days was for JESUS, there is no commandment for Christians to do that to prove their devotion to Jesus!!!!

If Jahtruth could not foretell what was going to happen to him because of his "7/7 Ripple Effect" video, he is proof of the danger of listening to your intuition and never testing it against reality. An all-knowing God of the bible would have never been humiliated that way!

Lyfe

Star
It's God's word that ultimately separates his real children from those still abiding in sin, death, and spiritual darkness. The Bible always does one of two things. It transforms and brings someone into conformity to Christ(who is the image of the perfect man), or it hardens and pushes an individual away. God's will is to adopt and raise up Children made and conformed to his perfect image. He gave us his word to renew us and teach us his ways. He came to create a new man after his likeness. It's unfortunate, but despite God giving his word and the offer of sonship most will reject it and end up being hardened. The vast majority come to despise who God really is. Jesus came from heaven as the son of God and exposed the heart of man for how dark and far from him it truly is.

Luke 2:34-35

Behold, this child is set for the fall and rising again of many in Israel; and for a sign which shall be spoken against; (Yea, a sword shall pierce through thy own soul also,) that the thoughts of many hearts may be revealed.

James 1:21

Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is able to save your souls.

John 3:19-21

And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved. But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.

Lyfe

Star
In my opinion the most challenging part about living for Christ isn't always resisting temptation, it isn't the loneliness, it's not even being rejected by most people. It's actually loving and serving others even if that means having little to no time for yourself. It's taking time and intentionally going out of your way to build up and encourage God's lambs and the many others who The Father would send your way. The true measure of how much someone loves God is how much of their time and energy is spent on serving the cause of someone else. It's not easy at all to live for someone else constantly and in attempting to do so you may come to realize just how selfish of a person you truly are. I have been an introvert for most of my life and prefer minimal human interaction so this is one of my greatest challenges. I really maintain that if someone thinks the Christian life is more about abstaining from sin then it is about serving a brother or sister in love then they don't really understand God's law. God's law places the focus on others and not on self. What did Jesus ask Peter to do to show that he truly loved him?

John 21:15-18
English Standard Version
Jesus and Peter
15 When they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon, son of John, do you love me more than these?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.” He said to him, “FEED MY LAMBS.” 16 He said to him a second time, “Simon, son of John, do you love me?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.” He said to him, “Tend My Sheep.” 17 He said to him the third time, “Simon, son of John, do you love me?” Peter was grieved because he said to him the third time, “Do you love me?” and he said to him, “Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “FEED MY SHEEP. 18 Truly, truly, I say to you, when you were young, you used to dress yourself and walk wherever you wanted, but when you are old, you will stretch out your hands, and another will dress you and carry you where you do not want to go.”

Matthew 20:26-28
English Standard Version
26 It shall not be so among you. But whoever would be great among you must be your servant,[a] 27 and whoever would be first among you must be your slave, 28 even as the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.”

Galatians 6:2
English Standard Version
2 Bear one another's burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ.

Dalit

Star
In my opinion the most challenging part about living for Christ isn't always resisting temptation, it isn't the loneliness, it's not even being rejected by most people. It's actually loving and serving others even if that means having little to no time for yourself. It's taking time and intentionally going out of your way to build up and encourage God's lambs and the many others who The Father would send your way. The true measure of how much someone loves God is how much of their time and energy is spent on serving the cause of someone else. It's not easy at all to live for someone else constantly and in attempting to do so you may come to realize just how selfish of a person you truly are. I have been an introvert for most of my life and prefer minimal human interaction so this is one of my greatest challenges. I really maintain that if someone thinks the Christian life is more about abstaining from sin then it is about serving a brother or sister in love then they don't really understand God's law. God's law places the focus on others and not on self. What did Jesus ask Peter to do to show that he truly loved him?

English Standard Version
Jesus and Peter
15 When they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon, son of John, do you love me more than these?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.” He said to him, “FEED MY LAMBS.” 16 He said to him a second time, “Simon, son of John, do you love me?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.” He said to him, “Tend My Sheep.” 17 He said to him the third time, “Simon, son of John, do you love me?” Peter was grieved because he said to him the third time, “Do you love me?” and he said to him, “Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “FEED MY SHEEP. 18 Truly, truly, I say to you, when you were young, you used to dress yourself and walk wherever you wanted, but when you are old, you will stretch out your hands, and another will dress you and carry you where you do not want to go.”

English Standard Version
26 It shall not be so among you. But whoever would be great among you must be your servant,[a] 27 and whoever would be first among you must be your slave, 28 even as the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.”

English Standard Version
So true! Now that I've dealt with death and neediness in my family, I fight daily to keep going back in when I'm exhausted and scared by a formerly independent family member being so needy. This was a bigger introvert than me, who seemed to be more "I can take or leave you" and now is the opposite and it creeps me out sometimes. I'm incredibly selfish and the roles and/or personalities seem to have been reversed. I have to have time alone to recharge or just sleep, yet cannot abandon those whom God has given me to serve and love. Good point! Loving and serving others is hard and supernatural.

JoChris

Superstar

English Standard Version
Jesus and Peter

English Standard Version

English Standard Version
I wonder how many of the Desert Fathers had our tendency already and so (in a way) it was easy to live a solitary life already for them? My flesh understood the attraction to being a nun well before high school!!!

Lyfe

Star
I wonder how many of the Desert Fathers had our tendency already and so (in a way) it was easy to live a solitary life already for them? My flesh understood the attraction to being a nun well before high school!!!
Everyday I think how cool it would be to move off into some cabin in the woods in Alaska. I know that we weren't called for this tho!

The more we know of God's word the more he will likely want to use us!

Lyfe

Star
So true! Now that I've dealt with death and neediness in my family, I fight daily to keep going back in when I'm exhausted and scared by a formerly independent family member being so needy. This was a bigger introvert than me, who seemed to be more "I can take or leave you" and now is the opposite and it creeps me out sometimes. I'm incredibly selfish and the roles and/or personalities seem to have been reversed. I have to have time alone to recharge or just sleep, yet cannot abandon those whom God has given me to serve and love. Good point! Loving and serving others is hard and supernatural.
Living for others definitely isnt easy for me. I don't think it's the actual service that I struggle with(per say), but being around individuals when your natural tendency is wanting to avoid people altogether. I struggle with friendships because of this. I can minister a word here and there and know where to point someone , but I struggle if they are the type of person who wants to meet up for coffee or go out to eat.

JoChris

Superstar
Living for others definitely isnt easy for me. I don't think it's the actual service that I struggle with(per say), but being around individuals when your natural tendency is wanting to avoid people altogether. I struggle with friendships because of this. I can minister a word here and there and know where to point someone , but I struggle if they are the type of person who wants to meet up for coffee or go out to eat.
Well you and I seem to be good at friendship online, there are a lot of introverts who would like to have close friends but hate being with people *in person*, especially in large social gatherings where small talk is the only conversation around.

It does take a lot of self-sacrifice for introverts to let people share our personal space. Christians like us should pray for the Holy Spirit to strengthen us to better interact with others.

And I am giving you the credit for my next entry as the struggle you mention reminded me of one of the tools false teachers, especially cults use to draw people in.

JoChris

Superstar
1678314901225.png

1678315230479.png

Jesus' commandment to "Love your neighbour as yourself" is an essential commandment for Christians to follow. Any decent preacher, teacher and pastor will make it clear that Christians should show love as a fruit of being born again.
Christians are different parts of the body of Christ, we will show love in different ways because we are different people after all!
[On a personal note, I used to condemn myself a lot because I wasn't able to be outwardly loving like others doing charity work in the church for multiple reasons, but over time I realised just being an ear to listen offline/ online is way more valuable than people realise. I also learned that I had the very unpopular gift of discernment - my past had toughened me up a lot to trolls online as well :D . It is loving to show people KINDLY the unwanted truth, no matter how much they protest, whine and attempt to guilt trip.]

---
A teaching to "love others as yourself" can be taken to the extreme in many different ways unfortunately. (One of the warning signs of cults is known as love-bombing after all.)
Discernment is needed because even important commandments can be used to the advantage of false teachers in a subtle way.
e.g. how much love do they demand for themselves?
how much do they demand loyalty and blind submission, under the disguise of calling it love for the teacher/ the church?

Although the above 1 Corinthians 13 passage is mostly used to teach Christians what true love is (and therefore teach us how to love others), perhaps Christians should sometimes compare how other others conduct themselves according to the whole Book of 1 John as well.

Exactly "how and how not to love our neighbour" is therefore a massive topic and worthy of separate discussion for sure!

Lyfe

Star
Well you and I seem to be good at friendship online, there are a lot of introverts who would like to have close friends but hate being with people *in person*, especially in large social gatherings where small talk is the only conversation around.

It does take a lot of self-sacrifice for introverts to let people share our personal space. Christians like us should pray for the Holy Spirit to strengthen us to better interact with others.

And I am giving you the credit for my next entry as the struggle you mention reminded me of one of the tools false teachers, especially cults use to draw people in.
Yeah that's true. I think online socialization on this forum is appealing, because you can do it on your own leisure and there is no obligation or pressure to be social when you don't want to. You can also choose the subject of what you want to talk about.

I'm not a big talker and I find it tedious to hold conversations that I know don't have much meaning. I have lost allot of friendships over the years just because I am not the kind of person who would make going to the cafe to talk something to look forward to. I think I am just tired and an old soul.

Lyfe

Star
I agree with allot of what the reformers taught, but my issue with calvinism is with the sort of foundation that it often seems to lay. The problem that calvinism leaves is with it's tendency to generate the mentality of indifference to the NEED there is for ALL of God's church to evangelize. There are many who fall into this indifference, because they reach the conclusion (due to their doctrinal stance) that whether they(personally) witness or not it has no eternal consequence on the total number of who will be saved. I understand that it's infinitely better that all of this be left up SOLELY to God and not the weakness and selfishness of men, but If someone with this belief went years without witnessing they likely won't see it and be convicted of it as the derilicetion of duty and awful waste and selfishness that it truly is. How many people need to hear and be taught the gospel? Charles Spurgeon is considered by many to be one of the greatest reformed preachers of all time, but he also wept for souls and was a soul winner! He also taught the simple gospel to those who needed to hear. There are some who have become so 'calvinized' that they no longer preach the simple gospel of salvation in Christ any longer. They preach the gospel of Calvin and rather than having the mind of Christ they have the mind of Calvin. They no longer teach that we all still need to hold fast to Christ and not renounce him, but rather walk with him until the very end! Absolutely I believe that God's true sheep love Christ and will never renounce him and God will always deliver them and bring them safely into his heavenly kingdom, but the reality is there many people who currently profess Christ(convinced of their salvation)that will one day fall away! We ALL still need to take heed lest we fall! We need to stop casting away certain scriptures that don't mesh with our system of theology!

Last edited:

JoChris

Superstar
I agree with allot of what the reformers taught, but my issue with calvinism is with the sort of foundation that it often seems to lay. The problem that calvinism leaves is with it's tendency to generate the mentality of indifference to the NEED there is for ALL of God's church to evangelize. There are many who fall into this indifference, because they reach the conclusion (due to their doctrinal stance) that whether they(personally) witness or not it has no eternal consequence on the total number of who will be saved. I understand that it's infinitely better that all of this be left up SOLELY to God and not the weakness and selfishness of men, but If someone with this belief went years without witnessing they likely won't see it and be convicted of it as the derilicetion of duty and awful waste and selfishness that it truly is. How many people need to hear and be taught the gospel? Charles Spurgeon is considered by many to be one of the greatest reformed preachers of all time, but he also wept for souls and was a soul winner! He also taught the simple gospel to those who needed to hear. There are some who have become so 'calvinized' that they no longer preach the simple gospel of salvation in Christ any longer. They preach the gospel of Calvin and rather than having the mind of Christ they have the mind of Calvin. They no longer teach that we all still need to hold fast to Christ and not renounce him, but rather walk with him until the very end! Absolutely I believe that God's true sheep love Christ and will never renounce him and God will always deliver them and bring them safely into his heavenly kingdom, but the reality is there many people who currently profess Christ(convinced of their salvation)that will one day fall away! We ALL still need to take heed lest we fall! We need to stop casting away certain scriptures that don't mesh with our system of theology!
In addition to what you say about spiritual apathy that can be a side-effect of believing God has called the Elect (therefore what we do won't change anything), a major problem I see with Calvinism is that religious doctrine is put before the Bible. Although I am sympathetic towards most of the positions it holds, it becomes a massive distraction from the Gospel.

I have watched Reformed Theology seminars in the past and they are very knowledgeable scholars. However I am sure Arminian scholars could be just as convincing if they show all the bible passages which supports their position.

In practice it appears to me Calvinism puts knowledge and correct doctrine before personal faith and obedience to God. Simple faith requires a lot of trust that GOD has it under control.
People like me - I am admitting here I am usually guilty of this - are at risk of using personal fear (of not preaching the Gospel EXACTLY right theologically) to not say anything to non-believers as well.

Lyfe

Star
In addition to what you say about spiritual apathy that can be a side-effect of believing God has called the Elect (therefore what we do won't change anything), a major problem I see with Calvinism is that religious doctrine is put before the Bible. Although I am sympathetic towards most of the positions it holds, it becomes a massive distraction from the Gospel.

I have watched Reformed Theology seminars in the past and they are very knowledgeable scholars. However I am sure Arminian scholars could be just as convincing if they show all the bible passages which supports their position.

In practice it appears to me Calvinism puts knowledge and correct doctrine before personal faith and obedience to God. Simple faith requires a lot of trust that GOD has it under control.
People like me - I am admitting here I am usually guilty of this - are at risk of using personal fear (of not preaching the Gospel EXACTLY right theologically) to not say anything to non-believers as well.
Yeah I have come across this very thing on social media. If you preach the gospel in a way that doesn't appease their Calvinistic way of thinking then you are a free will heretic in their eyes. There are many who really like to wrangle about words and they take what you say and rebuke you if you suggest man has free will. It's very cringe.

They take the simplicity of Christ and make it all expositional. Idk. I admit understanding salvation is absolutely important, but they seem to be more concerned about making converts to calvinism than simple servants of Christ. That is my experience with many of them... If your not a Calvinist your a free will Arminian heretic that seeks to rob God of his glory.