Are There Ex-christians Here? Why Do You Leave The Faith?

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
For me, having grown up in a Christian home and being 'Born Again' at the age of eight, I spent my teens in a variety of churches, saw healings, found answers to some profound questions and knew the presence of God in my life. Time went on and soon my friends went clubbing, dated, slept around and did all the things I began to suspect I was missing out on (given the messages I started to soak up through secular culture! )

I think my parents could see this rebellion growing in me. They would sometimes hint that the Lord might return soon, and this in turn would make me even more rebellious. I hadn't asked to be born in the end times, go to school, be a good boy then get raptured and never have any adult fun!!!!

I met a girl who was a model when I was 18. I wanted her and I hardened my heart against my parents and the faith of my youth. We were together for six months and during that time she tried to introduce me to hypnosis, occultism, a Jezebel Spirit, modelling and Freemasonry. I was in no mans land, I had what I thought I wanted. Christians were just repressed, unfashionable people who didn't know how to have a good time. Except I wasn't.

Time wore on and it came up that I had been booked onto a Christian week away, called 'Spring Harvest' at an out of season holiday resort. I protested, but in the Everything pushed by buttons. These people were not my kind of people anymore!

A couple of days in I sat watching a Christian 'music' band. The singer had a mullet and looked like he had fallen out of a time warp from 1985! I sat up in the stands congratulating myself on my new found life.

Then I noticed. There was JOY in this guys face. I had none.

At that point it all fell away and not to stretch my post too long, like the Prodigal Son, I came home. I will never forget the love and forgiveness I felt.

E.g. Who does the average Catholic approach in prayer first? Jesus or Mary/ saints?
Jesus of course. The reverence of humans (saints) in Catholicism is called dulia, reverence of Mary is called hyperdulia, a higher form of dulia. Worship of God (not humans) is called latria and is reserved for Jesus / God / the Holy Trinity.

I read about a guy that converted from islam to catholicism, I think that's interesting in that they both worship Mary, and Jesus has a diminished role for both.
How does Jesus have a diminished role in Catholicism?

Last edited:

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
Ok... So why is it a good reason to reject Christianity? Islamic State is an ugly reflection of Islam that many Muslims reject. If I were to cite them as an example of why I rejected Islam, it would annoy you ;-) You take my meaning, I'm sure...

Koncrete" said:
Later my exit was further cemented when I saw how much the beliefs of christianity were forced on people across the world through colonialism.
Did Christianity spread across the Middle East and Europe too because of colonialism?

mecca

Superstar
Ok... So why is it a good reason to reject Christianity? Islamic State is an ugly reflection of Islam that many Muslims reject. If I were to cite them as an example of why I rejected Islam, it would annoy you ;-) You take my meaning, I'm sure...
When a religion is forced on your people and used to make them seem inferior or things like that, that would be a good reason to distance yourself. Keep in mind, you're not distancing yourself from God, just Christianity.

JoChris

Superstar
Islam doesn't worship Mary or have a diminished role of Jesus.
Christianity teaches Jesus is the only begotten Son of God, Jesus is God made flesh, the Second person of the Trinity, fully God and fully man .
Islam teaches Jesus is a mere prophet i.e. only a man.

mecca

Superstar
Christianity teaches Jesus is the only begotten Son of God, Jesus is God made flesh, the Second person of the Trinity, fully God and fully man .
Not everyone thinks Jesus is God. There are even christians that use the bible to say that Jesus is a prophet. All it really is is interpretation. This aspect doesn't even necessarily matter too much, what actually matters is your actions and intentions.

Paranoia Daily

Veteran
You got one here going on 10+ years....After researching this for years I came to realize that it was all a fake. I do not do well with some one telling me turn or burn its a terror tactic in order to get people to convert...And I have yet to see anything a God has done to make this world a better place...With all that said if thats your gig enjoy it I don't have a problem with it...Religion is not needed to die your going to do that weather you believe or not.

Not everyone thinks Jesus is God. There are even christians that use the bible to say that Jesus is a prophet. All it really is is interpretation. This aspect doesn't even necessarily matter too much, what actually matters is your actions and intentions.
Just as there are Muslims that say the Quran is not eternal. How many of those are there?

Catholics, Orthodox and Protestants all believe Jesus is God, and with that you have approximately 99% of the global Christian population.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
When a religion is forced on your people and used to make them seem inferior or things like that, that would be a good reason to distance yourself. Keep in mind, you're not distancing yourself from God, just Christianity.
I understand your point - force a child to eat a mushroom and you will probably put them off for life! Nothing up with mushrooms, but plenty wrong with forcing people!!!!

Paranoia Daily

Veteran
What I want to know is who said God accepts any religion? Who says Christianity, Islam or Judaism is God's preferred religion? See this is what gets me all these religions seem to know what a God wants but I have seen no where it says God prefers anyone of them.

Aero

Superstar
My paradigm shifts all the time. So technically at times I would consider myself an Ex-Christian. And it has much less to do with what's not in Christianity vs what's in other religions that's useful. But I think some of it has to do with absorbing things from other Christians. Not aspects of Christianity itself.

I may be a little too versed in subliminal messages, but I don't think people understand it at all. There is a big difference between what is faith based, and what has simply been taught. And in so many instances people are just repeating what they have been taught. I think the true message of Christ has been distorted and manipulated over time. Like how truth turns into rumor as it spreads.

Karlysymon

Superstar
Hi mecca,

the aspect does matter if you, as a person, are remotely interested in understanding the origin of sin and the Fall of man.
Then and only then will you find if He bears any relevance.

You can read some responses in this thread

https://www.vigilantcitizenforums.com/threads/the-way-q-a-with-christians.360/page-2#post-15343

Last edited:

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
What I want to know is who said God accepts any religion? Who says Christianity, Islam or Judaism is God's preferred religion? See this is what gets me all these religions seem to know what a God wants but I have seen no where it says God prefers anyone of them.
Good question and one many people ask...

The way I picture the logic of it is of a mysterious guy moving into a street. Various people in the neighbourhood want to know about him, others just avoid the house! Of those wanting to find out more, they group together and come up with various ideas about him. One day he sends his son into the village to tell people about him.

You get the idea. The man is who he is, whatever anyone thinks. If he chooses to make himself known, the way he does it is up to him.

Ps I know I have used a Christian bias in this story, but I hope the logic makes sense. What people say about God may not be true, but if there is a God, they can't all be right about him.

Last edited:

manama

Star
This is the problem with such threads. A person said that they left christianity for so and so reason suddenly all christians jump on a bandwagon
"oh you converted to islam well islam this this this"
"oh you dont know true christianity bleh"

You can answer the reasons for which the person left christianity easily without forcing it down their throats