Are There Ex-christians Here? Why Do You Leave The Faith?

Todd

Star
We were talking more along the lines of Christians hooking up with secular organizations..I don't think that would be the right thing for a Christian to do.
Why not? Is every Christian supposed to find a job with an employer that is a Christian? Or is it only okay to hook up with a secular organization if you are getting paid?

Lisa

Superstar
Why not? Is every Christian supposed to find a job with an employer that is a Christian? Or is it only okay to hook up with a secular organization if you are getting paid?
Well, this was volunteer work that we were talking about...hooking up with people feeding the poor and it was said that Christians could partner with atheists doing that...and I said that it would be a good idea because it would give the appearance of Christians agreeing with atheism. And where I said that we shouldn't be unequally yoked. I said that the atheist could partner instead with a Christian organization....that would work too, I guess? Or would it be the same type of thing?

rainerann

Star
Why do you think idol worship is not an issue today?
Anyways I think what you are saying above is very wise, but where did Paul mention starting a business or marrying someone, versus helping or loving an unbeliever? If I read Paul at face value in that verse, I would be like Lisa and have nothing do with unbelievers, which of course is hypocritical since I became a believer when another believer reached out to me.
I don't think idol worship is not an issue anymore. However, a secular society does equal the playing field in business a little bit. In theory, partnering with someone who is not a believer in a business isn't going to potentially result in a fountain of Istar being set up in the lobby. That doesn't mean it is a good idea. However, in some ways a secular society removes some of what could be considered a yoke that Paul is referring to in this passage. As a result of this, believers and unbelievers can participate in some functions together because we usually have a way of determining boundaries that prevent us from obligations that would compromise our conscious.

This doesn't mean there isn't idol worship, but idol worship wasn't the issue. Being yoked with a an idol worshiper was. When we have boundaries, there is also no reason that a believer and nonbeliever can't function together toward the goal of providing to the poor. I think that is the original issue. I wouldn't have a problem giving to a secular charity if I had done my due diligence on their organization to make sure they were using the money appropriately and maintaining other practices that I believe are important in running a charity because there are boundaries that protect me from compromising my beliefs.

The actual verse says, do not be unequally yoked. This implies a degree of intimacy and/or attachment to the other person in some form. You aren't going to become yoked to someone by giving them a meal so there is no reason to associate this verse with having nothing to do with nonbelievers. It is basically saying don't become ensnared by becoming unequally yoked with a unbeliever.

Daniel is another good example. He had favor while he was unequally yoked in captivity by the grace of God. This favor did not create an equality because when King Darius signed the law that no one could pray to any other God, he was caught in a snare. This is what Paul is trying to prevent from happening-believers becoming ensnared by becoming yoked with nonbelievers.

"Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers. For what partnership has righteousness with lawlessness? Or what fellowship has light with darkness?" (2 Corinthians 6:14).

Lisa

Superstar
The actual verse says, do not be unequally yoked. This implies a degree of intimacy and/or attachment to the other person in some form. You aren't going to become yoked to someone by giving them a meal so there is no reason to associate this verse with having nothing to do with nonbelievers. It is basically saying don't become ensnared by becoming unequally yoked with a unbeliever.

Daniel is another good example. He had favor while he was unequally yoked in captivity by the grace of God. This favor did not create an equality because when King Darius signed the law that no one could pray to any other God, he was caught in a snare. This is what Paul is trying to prevent from happening-believers becoming ensnared by becoming yoked with nonbelievers.

"Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers. For what partnership has righteousness with lawlessness? Or what fellowship has light with darkness?" (2 Corinthians 6:14).
Exactly! And I was not saying not to have anything to do with people, which is why I tried to bring it back to what I was originally replying to..since you started to take my comments out of context.