• Sharing helpful teaching

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • Fostering understanding of different points of view

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

llleopard

Established
NZ is in the middle of its worst natural disaster in a century. We have a tropical cyclone hitting us. I'm in Hawkes Bay which is quite badly damaged, although praise God we are not flooded, power is back on and we think all our family is probably safe. I will prob be helping with civil defense organising tomorrow. Please pray for our little battered country. Xx

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
NZ is in the middle of its worst natural disaster in a century. We have a tropical cyclone hitting us. I'm in Hawkes Bay which is quite badly damaged, although praise God we are not flooded, power is back on and we think all our family is probably safe. I will prob be helping with civil defense organising tomorrow. Please pray for our little battered country. Xx
Praying for you all @llleopard

I’m listening to “The Hiding Place” by Corrie Ten Boom at the moment - in the middle of trouble, and even in Ravensbruck concentration camp, the Lord was right there with her.

Psalms 32:7

“Thou art my hiding place; thou shalt preserve me from trouble; thou shalt compass me about with songs of deliverance. Selah.”

Lyfe

Star
If someone truly belongs to Christ and persists in the things that are considered to be evil in his sight then he will one day visit and chasten them to bring them back. It's very possible to become so entangled by the things of this world that the only thing that can bring a person back is the rod of correction. It's ideal to turn back and to cry out to God for deliverance before this happens.

1 Corinthians 11:27-32
English Standard Version
27 Whoever, therefore, eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty concerning the body and blood of the Lord. 28 Let a person examine himself, then, and so eat of the bread and drink of the cup. 29 For anyone who eats and drinks without discerning the body eats and drinks judgment on himself. 30 That is why many of you are weak and ill, and some have died.[a] 31 But if we judged ourselves truly, we would not be judged. 32 But when we are judged by the Lord, we are disciplined[c] so that we may not be condemned along with the world.

Lyfe

Star
Ephesians 5:14-18

Authorized (King James) Version

14 Wherefore he saith, Awake thou that sleepest, and arise from the dead, and Christ shall give thee light. 15 See then that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise, 16 redeeming the time, because the days are evil. 17 Wherefore be ye not unwise, but understanding what the will of the Lord is. 18 And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;

Lyfe

Star
In Christ we have all been chosen and given access into God's presence. Let us continually seek The Father and always bring our lamp before him that he may keep it filled with the fresh oil we need!

Psalm 65:4

English Standard Version

4 Blessed is the one you choose and bring near,
to dwell in your courts!
We shall be satisfied with the goodness of your house,
the holiness of your temple!

Lyfe

Star
People often pray asking God to change their difficult circumstances. If you study the history of Israel it was actually the generation that came out of the wilderness that dealt the most damage to Satan's Kingdom. All that dross of the world and egypt had to be purged out somehow... We should not expect God to spare us from hardships especially when the world is in need of refined vessels with new wine.

Judges 3:1-4
English Standard Version
3 Now these are the nations that the Lord left, to test Israel by them, that is, all in Israel who had not experienced all the wars in Canaan. 2 It was only in order that the generations of the people of Israel might know war, to teach war to those who had not known it before. 3 These are the nations: the five lords of the Philistines and all the Canaanites and the Sidonians and the Hivites who lived on Mount Lebanon, from Mount Baal-hermon as far as Lebo-hamath. 4 They were for the testing of Israel, to know whether Israel would obey the commandments of the Lord, which he commanded their fathers by the hand of Moses.

Lyfe

Star
I read this passage earlier and it dawned upon me that The Father wants to use us all as deliverers. The world is crying out for peace and safety and deliverence from from the kingdom of darkness (even though they don't realize it). The deliverer is sent into hostile territory to rescue souls just as Christ came into the world for this same purpose. God equips us for this battle and to stand firm when the floods of the enemy come against us.

Judges 3:9-10

9 But when the people of Israel cried out to the Lord, the Lord raised up a deliverer for the people of Israel, who saved them, Othniel the son of Kenaz, Caleb's younger brother. 10 The Spirit of the Lord was upon him, and he judged Israel. He went out to war, and the Lord gave Cushan-rishathaim king of Mesopotamia into his hand. And his hand prevailed over Cushan-rishathaim.

Isaiah 59:19

When the enemy shall come in like a flood, the Spirit of the Lord shall lift up a standard against him.

Matthew 7:24-25

24 “Everyone then who hears these words of mine and does them will be like a wise man who built his house on the rock. 25 And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house, but it did not fall, because it had been founded on the rock.

Revelation 12:15-17

15 The serpent poured water like a river out of his mouth after the woman, to sweep her away with a flood. 16 But the earth came to the help of the woman, and the earth opened its mouth and swallowed the river that the dragon had poured from his mouth. 17 Then the dragon became furious with the woman and went off to make war on the rest of her offspring, on those who keep the commandments of God and hold to the testimony of Jesus. And he stood[a] on the sand of the sea.

2 Timothy 2:19-22

19 Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his. And, Let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity. 20 But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and of silver, but also of wood and of earth; and some to honour, and some to dishonour. 21 If a man therefore purge himself from these, he shall be a vessel unto honour, sanctified, and meet for the master’s use, and prepared unto every good work.
22 Flee also youthful lusts: but follow righteousness, faith, charity, peace, with them that call on the Lord out of a pure heart.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
I had a very clear idea this morning when listening to an autobiographical book by Corrie Ten Boom. It was humbling listening to the way she read and cherished the Bible and the difficulties she had retaining it trough her time at Ravensbruck concentration camp. How the word was used in the lives of those she interacted. The words would not have been there if she had not read and memorised many of them.

I got to thinking about various exams I have had over the years. When feeling daunted and revising at the last minute, so many ask “will it come up on the test?”…

Then the thought hit me. We are given the word of God. Our life is the rest. We skip our revision time at our own peril as we don’t know yet which of God’s words might be the right answer to issues we have yet to face.

Lyfe

Star
Richard Wurmbrand is another powerful testimony of being imprisoned under unthinkable conditions. Only the comfort of the spirit can keep us.

Acts 9:31

English Standard Version

31 So the church throughout all Judea and Galilee and Samaria had peace and was being built up. And walking in the fear of the Lord and in the comfort of the Holy Spirit, it multiplied.

Lyfe

Star
"If you seek nothing but the will of God, He will always put you in the right place at the right time."

Smith Wigglesworth (2013). “Ever Increasing Faith”, p.105

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
I have started listening to the Psalms as I go to sleep. I set a timer, pick a chapter one further than the night before and let the words soak in.

I don’t believe in coincidences but I have also just finished listening to “The Hiding Place” by Corrie Ten Boom.

When I pressed “play” this morning, this was the point I had got to when the timer ran out:

The Word of Promise® NKJV Audio Bible

5 I acknowledged my sin to You, And my iniquity I have not hidden. I said, “I will confess my transgressions to the LORD,” And You forgave the iniquity of my sin. Selah
6 For this cause everyone who is godly shall pray to You In a time when You may be found; Surely in a flood of great waters They shall not come near him.
7 You are my hiding place*; You shall preserve me from trouble; You shall surround me with songs of deliverance. Selah

Psalms 32:5-7 NKJV

*As I had felt prompted to share this verse with you just a few days ago @llleopard it would seem to me be another confirmation of God’s love and care in times of trouble.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
I was thinking about this verse - Exodus 20:7
“Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.”

I had always understood that as not using God’s name as a swear word, but I wonder if there is a deeper implication than that?

As saved people, called out ones, we bear the name of the Lord. We have taken the name of the Lord, just as the Hebrews who entered into the covenant with God at Sinai, and those around us are watching.

How we live before others is paramount. We have taken the Name and are ambassadors for Christ. Let us live as we are called to, yield our speech and even our interests to the one whose name we bear.

Last edited:

Dalit

Star
I was thinking about this verse - Exodus 20:7
“Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.”

I had always understood that as not using God’s name as a swear word, but I wonder if there is a deeper implication than that?

As saved people, called out ones, we bear the name of the Lord. We have taken the name of the Lord, just as the Hebrews who entered into the covenant with God at Sinai, and those around us are watching.

How we live before others is paramount. We have taken the Name and are ambassadors for Christ. Let us live as we are called to, yield our speech and even our interests to the one whose name we bear.
It's why we need the gospel daily, too. If not for Jesus, we're all sunk. This really breaks it down, humbles me, and keeps me looking at Jesus. Only He can work this out in me. I see where I've done this and repent and ask for God to help me repent in the future, too.

Q. 111. Which is the third commandment?
A. The third commandment is, Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain: for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.

Q. 112. What is required in the third commandment?
A. The third commandment requires, that the name of God, his titles, attributes, ordinances, the word, sacraments, prayer, oaths, vows, lots, his works, and whatsoever else there is whereby he makes himself known, be holily and reverently used in thought, meditation, word, and writing; by an holy profession, and answerable conversation, to the glory of God, and the good of ourselves, and others.

Q. 113. What are the sins forbidden in the third commandment?
A. The sins forbidden in the third commandment are, the not using of God’s name as is required; and the abuse of it in an ignorant, vain, irreverent, profane, superstitious, or wicked mentioning or otherwise using his titles, attributes, ordinances, or works, by blasphemy, perjury; all sinful cursings, oaths, vows, and lots; violating of our oaths and vows, if lawful; and fulfilling them, if of things unlawful; murmuring and quarreling at, curious prying into, and misapplying of God’s decrees and providences; misinterpreting, misapplying, or any way perverting the word, or any part of it, to profane jests, curious or unprofitable questions, vain janglings, or the maintaining of false doctrines; abusing it, the creatures, or anything contained under the name of God, to charms, or sinful lusts and practices; the maligning, scorning, reviling, or any wise opposing of God’s truth, grace, and ways; making profession of religion in hypocrisy, or for sinister ends; being ashamed of it, or a shame to it, by unconformable, unwise, unfruitful, and offensive walking, or backsliding from it.

Q. 114. What reasons are annexed to the third commandment?
A. The reasons annexed to the third commandment, in these words, The LORD thy God, and, For the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain, are, because he is the Lord and our God, therefore his name is not to be profaned, or any way abused by us; especially because he will be so far from acquitting and sparing the transgressors of this commandment, as that he will not suffer them to escape his righteous judgment, albeit many such escape the censures and punishments of men.