Usury/interest Is Modern Day Slavery!

Thunderian

Superstar
It's considered evil because one shouldn't be living without the conscious awareness that God Is Maintaining everything in existence.

Why do we have to encourage people to believe that by having more money that they will be living better lives?

God Is The One Maintaining every life at each and every second. Money itself is being Maintained by Him at each and every moment.

So interest is evil because through it, one's reliance stops being on Almighty God and is diverted towards money when money is just a means.

Even if we have all the money in the world, God Is Still The One Enabling our bodies and minds to function properly, not the money.

Money tends to make you forget this and makes you want to rush towards the material things. Usury aggravates this situation even more.
Debt is a huge problem in the world today, but it's not inherently evil. When undertaken properly, it can be very helpful to borrow money.

Take my family's van. There's no way we could have afforded to purchase it outright, but with a loan we are able to manage it over time. The van is a blessing to us, and I don't worry when my wife and son are running errands in it because I know it's not going to break down, and if there is an accident, they are in one of the safest vehicles on the road. If we had been forced to buy what we could afford with what we had in the bank, I would not feel good about my wife driving it. It would be old and not as safe.

The truck I have for my work is another example of good debt. I bought a good used truck, paid for most of it up front, and will have the balance paid at the end of this year. I use the truck to make money to provide for my family (and pay off both vehicles).

In both situations, God provided us with good vehicles, reasonable loans, and the means to pay them off. We are grateful to him for this.

Now, if tomorrow I went to the bank and said I wanted to buy, oh, say ...... THIS!

That would not be an example of undertaking good debt. It's a beautiful car, it goes fast, I would enjoy it, and it would make me happy, but it's not practical and I can't afford it.

We don't teach kids in school enough about debt, and banks make it far, far too easy to take on crippling loans for things we don't need. But the choice to borrow is always on the individual.

Take my family's van. There's no way we could have afforded to purchase it outright
Yes you could have afforded to purchase it outright, If God Had So Willed.

The solution would have been, given that you couldn't yet afford it, to pray to God to Enable you to afford it and then wait.

Even if that had meant that you were gonna wait until death, the unfaltering faith would have meant true belief in God and thus been worth it.

Eventually, you'd have waited not very long and He Would Have Enabled you to not indebt yourself at all while also gaining His Approval.

What if i told you that true belief in God, ingrained in the heart, would entail you to believe that even if the vehicle was non-existent you would still have been carried all the way to your destination. God Does Not Depend on the Earth to Maintain us. God Does Not Depend on gravity to Keep us at ground level. I agree that it all forms part of His Beautiful Design but it remains that He Is Independent over any imaginable thing.

That would be what faith's all about. God Will Still Provide even if we've no money to buy food. God Is Certainly The Best of Nourishers.

The problem with debt is that you would be helping those involved in usury out. They don't loan out their money to you but others' money.

Those who are rich have their money lent to those who are poor, who then are forced to reimburse more than what they had first borrowed.

That's why it's an aberration to God. Simply because God Would Still Have Provided for one even if one was penniless. May God Guide us all.

Last edited:

Kung Fu

Superstar
I hate to point it out, but you and Kung Fu are on two different pages here. He really seems to believe the Jews are the ones to blame for all the usury in the world.
Twisting her words won't help you bud. She mentioned the Jewish elite who of course, are JEWISH.

Also, if she does happen to have different views on this matter that's her right. Muslims only agree on one thing and that is God is One and that Muhammad(pbuh) was His final messenger. Everything else is fair game. You know this but then again you're just here to spout nonsense and try to cover for your masters. I hope those sheckels are worth it lol.

Last edited:

DesertRose

Superstar
Some folks experience cognitive dissonance and this is a good thing, hopefully.

"According to cognitive dissonance theory, there is a tendency for individuals to seek consistency among their cognitions (i.e., beliefs, opinions). When there is an inconsistency between attitudes or behaviors (dissonance), something must change to eliminate the dissonance."

However, trying to stop the exchange of information with wild accusations (unsuccessfully) is not conducive to free speech.
Many operate from a fear based center, no wonder things are difficult to change.

Caption on the video reads:
"I HIGHLY recommend this video, tho I dont agree w/all Stefan Molyneux says, this is Spot On...It just about sums up all thats wrong w/this bizarre world we find ourselves in...I am working on my own videos to share whats been going on with me as it is something that affects all of us, and it has been very grim and grueling..Soon come.".

Last edited:

DesertRose

Superstar

“Soul in the Game.” It means living with integrity, taking risks and exposing yourself not just to downside for yourself, but for others.

" keep going – doing, saying , believing, and being wrong."

"Risk takers can be socially unpredictable people. Freedom is always associated with risk taking, whether it led to it or came from it. You take risks, you feel part of history. And risk takers take risks because it is in their nature to be wild animals."

"However, a lot of people that I respect tend to be more polarizing than I am."

"Not polarizing in an attentions seeking way but in the sense that they have strong convictions and express them confidently. By the nature of social dynamics, that turns off most people."

"The minority rule will show us how it all it takes is a small number of intolerant virtuous people with skin in the game, in the form of courage, for society to function properly."

nassim nicholas taleb

Last edited:

DesertRose

Superstar
Al-Imran 3:104
SAHIH INTERNATIONAL
And let there be [arising] from you a nation inviting to [all that is] good, enjoining what is right and forbidding what is wrong, and those will be the successful.

May the Creator make us of their ranks, accept any good deeds we do and forgive us our sins, God willing! Ameen!

Serveto

Star
So basically, a Jew cannot charge interest of his fellow Jew, but is permitted to charge a gentile. Sounds reasonable to me.
May I ask why it sounds reasonable to you? My position on what sounds like an inherent, clearly stated inequality between Jews and non-Jews has somewhat softened since I first read the law, but I cannot say I find it altogether understandable, or defensible, though I have read some plausible rabbinic explanations of the text.
Thunderian said:
Is there any reason why charging interest should be considered evil? I mean, it's not as if the lender is holding a gun to the head of the borrower, is it? The person is always free to decline to borrow.
As I see it, much like the subject of idolatry, that of usury can be unusually complicated. There is more to it, in other words, and especially if we factor in the ideas of such preeminent and influential economic historians and theorists as, say, Karl Marx and Max Weber, than simply the lending of money at interest: it leads into discussions of the very basis of Capitalism itself, with the relations between labor, capital and "surplus value" playing the part of interest. It also involves less commercial and merchant banks than central and money-center banks, those which "control" the flow of funds and are direct, not secondary, participants in Federal Reserve (money market) auctions.

Again I say it is somewhat like the topic of idolatry. Is idolatry simply engraving images of would-be gods in wood and stone, or does it extend to modern forms of, say, celebrity obsession, cults of youth (Adonis) and beauty (Aphrodite), to "American Idol" and the adoration of money itself? I say the latter.

Still, usury is a subject which -and the pun is intended- interests me, and I will have a go with it in more detail, if you want to continue, though, beyond the basics, I am largely untrained in Economics. Others may contribute as well.

Thunderian said:
Jesus referenced charging interest -- or usury -- in the Parable of the Talents. A master goes on a trip and leaves three of his servants with varying amounts of money. When he returns, two of the servants have increased the money he left them, but the last one returns only the amount he was left with. The master is furious, saying, Thou wicked and slothful servant, thou knewest that I reap where I sowed not, and gather where I have not strawed: Thou oughtest therefore to have put my money to the exchangers, and then at my coming I should have received mine own with usury.

Seemingly, there is nothing inherently wrong with charging interest.
I am unqualified to comment on scripture, of course, but it might be kept in mind that, though this parable has been in the New Testament from the start, there were nevertheless strict prohibitions against usury in especially medieval Christendom, between and among Christians, and these verses were evidently not interpreted as a blanket endorsement of the practice, especially when read in the context of the other prophets, chief among whom, it seems to me, was possibly Prophet Ezekiel, who strongly condemned the practice, or so it seems.

Moreover, and I am not meaning to be a smart-ass, but it also occurs to me that, if that parable had been available to the money changers in the Temple whom Jesus, for some reason not altogether clear to me, drove out, might it have been an excellent thing for them to quote in their own defense?
Thunderian said:
So can anyone explain, sans antisemitism, what is immoral about charging interest?
Historically, the subject has been discussed widely, by both Jews and Christians alike, two of whom I have named above, and it should be possible to explore the subject without overly offending Jewish sensibilities. At any rate, and despite its at times potentially sensitive nature, I would hope so.

Thunderian

Superstar
May I ask why it sounds reasonable to you? My position on what sounds like an inherent, clearly stated inequality between Jews and non-Jews has somewhat softened since I first read the law, but I cannot say I find it altogether understandable, or defensible, though I have read some plausible rabbinic explanations of the text.
Among themselves, the Jewish people are considered to be one very large extended family, or at least are supposed to consider themselves that way. Why wouldn't it be reasonable to lend within your own extended family but not to outsiders? If my uncle gave me a no-interest loan, would you find it so strange that he didn't offer the same to you? Is this practice, like so many others, only considered offensive when Jews do it?

As I see it, much like the subject of idolatry, that of usury can be unusually complicated. There is more to it, in other words, and especially if we factor in the ideas of such preeminent and influential economic historians and theorists as, say, Karl Marx and Max Weber, than simply the lending of money at interest:
I suppose there are all sorts of deeper levels to economics we could explore, but I am not versed in it, either. On the surface, though, the lending of money at interest does not seem unreasonable or evil to me. I suspect the Islamic prohibitions against it have more to do with Muhammad's thoughts in regard to contemporary Jewish money-lenders than some greater moral truth that was revealed to him. A great deal of Muhammad's supposed revelations were about his personal desires and prejudices and not about anything spiritual.

I am unqualified to comment on scripture, of course, but it might be kept in mind that, though this parable has been in the New Testament from the start, there were nevertheless strict prohibitions against usury in especially medieval Christendom, between and among Christians, and these verses were evidently not interpreted as a blanket endorsement of the practice, especially when read in the context of the other prophets, chief among whom, it seems to me, was possibly Prophet Ezekiel, who strongly condemned the practice, or so it seems.
Ezekiel is not condemning the practice, but confirming that the right thing among Jews is to not charge each other interest, and prohibitions against charging interest in medieval Christendom that are not based on actual scripture have no relevance.

Moreover, and I am not meaning to be a smart-ass, but it also occurs to me that, if that parable had been available to the money changers in the Temple whom Jesus, for some reason not altogether clear to me, drove out, might it have been an excellent thing for them to quote in their own defense?
Jesus spoke that parable before he drove the money-changers out of the temple, but it would have made no difference. His anger was not at money-changers, but at commerce being conducted within the house of God. Had they set up on the street outside, there would have been no problem.

Historically, the subject has been discussed widely, by both Jews and Christians alike, two of whom I have named above, and it should be possible to explore the subject without overly offending Jewish sensibilities. At any rate, and despite its at times potentially sensitive nature, I would hope so.
I think anything can be discussed reasonably, but I do find the Muslim obsession with Jewish bankers to be anything but.

DesertRose

Superstar
I think anything can be discussed reasonably, but I do find the Muslim obsession with Jewish bankers to be anything but.
Your perspective is skewed as always.
Most Islamic videos focus on the hazards of interest bearing transactions and the Islamic perspectives on it.
However we do not tip toe around the fact that as a faith they have permitted this in their religious laws for non Jews.
I see that your phobe lenses get in the way of your comprehending this.
I suppose that you think 'every cry is against them' (or you).;)
This video highlights that your faith group (Christian) also discusses the Jews and their role in usury:

Thunderian

Superstar
Your perspective is skewed as always.
Most Islamic videos focus on the hazards of interest bearing transactions and the Islamic perspectives on it.
However we do not tip toe around the fact that as a faith they have permitted this in their religious laws for non Jews.
I see that your phobe lenses get in the way of your comprehending this.
I suppose that you think 'every cry is against them' (or you).;)
This video highlights that your faith group (Christian) also discusses the Jews and their role in usury:
If you knew anything about me, or Christ, you would know that Brother Nathaniel is hardly in my "faith group", and even his own denomination (Russian orthodox) has disavowed him. This is just more evidence that you'll embrace anyone who shares your hatred of Jews. It's clearly all that is important to you.

As for the Islamic view of Jews, don't you think a religion should stand on it's own merits? This desperate obsession with reminding everyone how much better Muslims are than Jews just reminds me of the Pharisee's prayer in Luke 18: God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican.

No one cares, least of all God, how much better you think you are than the Jews. It's pathetic.

DesertRose

Superstar
Bring your source that Orthodox Christians have disavowed him.
The last I heard Orthodox Christians are Christians.....
Who has said we are better than Jews on this thread, or board?
.......... lies are getting more apparent.
(Lol did you just quote a pharisee prayer to chastise me? :D)

Speaking of obsession are you projecting your obsessions on us?
You are pathetic.

Last edited:

Serveto

Star
Thunderian said:
Among themselves, the Jewish people are considered to be one very large extended family, or at least are supposed to consider themselves that way. Why wouldn't it be reasonable to lend within your own extended family but not to outsiders? If my uncle gave me a no-interest loan, would you find it so strange that he didn't offer the same to you? Is this practice, like so many others, only to be considered offensive when Jews do it?
I think you simplify, and I have no problem with simplification. If anything, I tend to over complicate. It's a good point you make. I think that particular caveat, legal loophole, or exemption has historically caused as much trouble to "the" Jews as the "blood curse," which I expect you will say was at times woefully, lamentably, misunderstood and misapplied, and I will readily agree, of Matthew 27:25.

"The [Catholic] Church ... declared any extra return upon a loan as against the divine law, and this prevented any mercantile use of capital by pious Christians. As the canon law did not apply to Jews, these were not liable to the ecclesiastical punishments which were placed upon usurers by the popes, Alexander III in 1179 having excommunicated all manifest usurers. Christian rulers gradually saw the advantage of having a class of men like the Jews who could supply capital for their use without being liable to excommunication, and the money trade of western Europe by this means fell into the hands of the Jews ..." Source

Your proverbial uncle, at this point, has become rather impressive, to say nothing of powerful. He and his fellows will become even more powerful at the point not just of money "trade," but also of money creation, ex nihilo, and "control" ("flow of funds") -that is to say, at the central and money-center bank level.

Thunderian said:
I suppose there are all sorts of deeper levels to economics we could explore, but I am not versed in it, either. On the surface, though, the lending of money at interest does not seem unreasonable or evil to me.
I understand. It's when we -or perhaps I should say Karl Marx and Max Weber and others of their stripe and caliber- examine the relationships between labor, capital and surplus value that we see that usury, its principles and extensions, are practically an accomplished fact of, and basis for, the modern western economies, debt-based Capitalism in particular. On a much larger scale, laws against usury, like those against alcohol in "Prohibition" America, are generally considered antiquated, retrogressive and irrelevant to progressives.

However much one may disagree with his theories, those of Karl Marx, for instance, held such sway as to be practically (ersatz) religious dogma for half of the world when I was growing up in the late-Cold War era. Even now, Marxists and others, when speaking of "rentier capitalism," drawing distinctions between finance and industrial capital, will be usually referring to usury, even if not by outright use of the term.
Thunderian said:
I suspect the Islamic prohibitions against it have more to do with Muhammad's thoughts in regard to contemporary Jewish money-lenders than some greater moral truth that was revealed to him. A great deal of Muhammad's supposed revelations were about his personal desires and prejudices and not about anything spiritual.
I suspect the exact reverse: that the prohibition against usury was originally universal among the Semitic peoples, especially the progeny of Abraham, but that a Levitical priest modified, or redacted, the Torah to make an exemption in favor of tribal particularism. Again, I only suspect.
Thunderian said:
Ezekiel is not condemning the practice, but confirming that the right thing among Jews is to not charge each other interest ...
Thank you for your "private interpretation," now become public (just having some fun here, to lighten the mood).
Thunderian said:
... and prohibitions against charging interest in medieval Christendom that are not based on actual scripture have no relevance.
Not only the prohibitions, but, in this case, and to me more importantly, the exemptions, or loopholes, were in large part based upon scripture. After all, it was because of scripture that "the money trade of western Europe fell into the hands of the Jews." Jews, in this case, were allowed to practice their Torah and charge usury to non-Jews and became useful to Christian princes and rulers in the process.
Thunderian said:
Jesus spoke that parable before he drove the money-changers out of the temple, but it would have made no difference. His anger was not at money-changers, but at commerce being conducted within the house of God. Had they set up on the street outside, there would have been no problem.
That is a good answer. Thank you.
Thunderian said:
The issue is, or should be, usury. If Jews historically are disproportionately associated with the practice, let's try to better understand how and why that is, without bashing anybody, on any side, in the process. I, for one, am sorry that the tenor and tone of this thread is generally hostile, like many another in this religion sub-forum.

Last edited:

Kung Fu

Superstar
Among themselves, the Jewish people are considered to be one very large extended family, or at least are supposed to consider themselves that way. Why wouldn't it be reasonable to lend within your own extended family but not to outsiders? If my uncle gave me a no-interest loan, would you find it so strange that he didn't offer the same to you? Is this practice, like so many others, only considered offensive when Jews do it?
Except they're not one large family lol. I can say some random French Canadian living in Quebcec is a part of my family but that's doesn't mean it actually makes it so. The Jews pulling racist and unethical moves like this is the reason why they were persecuted everywhere they went and which is why so many still despise them today.

What's even more ironic is that you claim to be a Christian but yet see nothing wrong with usury. This is why I have doubts about what you really claim to be.

@Thunderian
I suspect the Islamic prohibitions against it have more to do with Muhammad's thoughts in regard to contemporary Jewish money-lenders than some greater moral truth that was revealed to him. A great deal of Muhammad's supposed revelations were about his personal desires and prejudices and not about anything spiritual.

Begin with the bible.
Already covered Nehemiah 5.

Ezekiel 18
if he does not lend at interest or exact usury; if he refrains from evildoing and makes a fair judgment between two opponents;

But if he begets a son who is violent and commits murder, or does any of these things, 11 even though the father does none of them—a son who eats on the mountains, defiles the wife of his neighbor, 12 oppresses the poor and needy, commits robbery, does not give back a pledge, raises his eyes to idols, does abominable things, 13 lends at interest and exacts usury—this son certainly shall not live. Because he practiced all these abominations, he shall surely be put to death; his own blood shall be on him.

it's up there with the big sins.

Ezekiel 22:12
There are those in you who take bribes to shed blood. You exact interest and usury; you extort profit from your neighbor by violence. But me you have forgotten—oracle of the Lord God.

Habbakuk 2
]Indeed wealth is treacherous;
a proud man does not succeed.
He who opens wide his throat like Sheol,
and is insatiable as death,
Who gathers to himself all the nations,
and collects for himself all the peoples—
6 Shall not all these take up a taunt against him,
and make a riddle about him, saying:

Ah! you who store up what is not yours
—how long can it last!—
you who load yourself down with collateral.
7 Will your debtors[d] not rise suddenly?

it's talking of usury
of course ive already covered the theme connected to Usury ie the 'stones and the wood'

Ah! you who say to wood, “Awake!”
to silent stone, “Arise!”

symbolic ie money becomes the new form of idolatory.

Zechariah 5
3 And he said to me, “This is the curse that ·will go [or is going out] all over the land. One side says every thief will be ·taken away [banished; purged]. The other side says everyone who ·makes false promises [swears falsely] will be ·taken away [banished; purged]. 4 The Lord ·All-Powerful [Almighty; of Heaven’s Armies; T of hosts] says, ‘I will send it to the houses of thieves and to those who ·use my name to make false promises [swear falsely]. The scroll will stay in that person’s house and destroy it with its wood and stones.

the 'thief' in the context and the one who 'swears falsely'...it is referring to this money lending business of course.

Zech 5 again
0 I asked the ·angel [messenger] who was talking with me, “Where are they taking the basket?”
11 “They are going to Babylonia to build a ·temple for it,” he answered. “When ·the temple is ready, they will set the basket there ·in its place [or on its base/pedestal].”

Hadith

(8) Narrated Abu Said Al-Khudri and Abu Huraira: Allah's Apostle appointed somebody as a governor of Khaibar. That governor brought to him an excellent kind of dates (from Khaibar). The Prophet asked, "Are all the dates of Khaibar like this?" He replied, "By Allah, no, O Allah's Apostle! But we barter one Sa of this (type of dates) for two Sas of dates of ours and two Sas of it for three of ours." Allah's Apostle said, "Do not do so (as that is a kind of usury) but sell the mixed dates (of inferior quality) for money, and then buy good dates with that money." (Book #34, Hadith #405)

(21) Narrated Abu Huraira: The Prophet said, "Avoid the seven great destructive sins." They (the people!) asked, "O Allah's Apostle! What are they?" He said, "To join partners in worship with Allah; to practice sorcery; to kill the life which Allah has forbidden except for a just cause (according to Islamic law); to eat up usury (Riba), to eat up the property of an orphan; to give one's back to the enemy and freeing from the battle-field at the time of fighting and to accuse chaste women who never even think of anything touching chastity and are good believers." (Book #82, Hadith #840)

(3) Narrated Abdullah ibn Mas'ud: The Apostle of Allah (peace_be_upon_him) cursed the one who accepted usury, the one who paid it, the witness to it, and the one who recorded it. (Book #22, Hadith #3327)
See Zech 5, the 'curse' again.

(2) Narrated AbuHurayrah: The Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) said: A time is certainly coming to mankind when only the receiver of usury will remain, and if he does not receive it, some of its vapour will reach him. Ibn Isa said: Some of its dust will reach him. (Book #22, Hadith #3325)

how did he know?
did the jews tell him?

(4) Narrated Amr ibn al-Ahwas al-Jushami: I heard the Apostle of Allah (peace_be_upon_him) say in the Farewell Pilgrimage: "Lo, all claims to usury of the pre-Islamic period have been abolished. You shall have your capital sums, deal not unjustly and you shall not be dealt with unjustly. Lo, all claims for blood-vengeance belonging to the pre-Islamic period have been abolished. The first of those murdered among us whose blood-vengeance I remit is al-Harith ibn AbdulMuttalib, who suckled among Banu Layth and killed by Hudhayl." He then said: O Allah, have I conveyed the message? They said: Yes, saying it three times. He then said: O Allah, be witness, saying it three times. (Book #22, Hadith #3328)

(7) Narrated AbuUmamah: The Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) said: If anyone intercedes for his brother and he presents a gift to him for it and he accepts it, he approaches a great door of the doors of usury. (Book #23, Hadith #3534)

(8) Narrated Sa'id ibn Zayd: The Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) said: The most prevalent kind of usury is going to lengths in talking unjustly against a Muslim's honour. (Book #41, Hadith #4858)

i don't see the word 'jew' mentioned anywhere.

Kung Fu

Superstar
@Thunderian

Begin with the bible.
Already covered Nehemiah 5.

Ezekiel 18
if he does not lend at interest or exact usury; if he refrains from evildoing and makes a fair judgment between two opponents;

But if he begets a son who is violent and commits murder, or does any of these things, 11 even though the father does none of them—a son who eats on the mountains, defiles the wife of his neighbor, 12 oppresses the poor and needy, commits robbery, does not give back a pledge, raises his eyes to idols, does abominable things, 13 lends at interest and exacts usury—this son certainly shall not live. Because he practiced all these abominations, he shall surely be put to death; his own blood shall be on him.

it's up there with the big sins.

Ezekiel 22:12
There are those in you who take bribes to shed blood. You exact interest and usury; you extort profit from your neighbor by violence. But me you have forgotten—oracle of the Lord God.

Habbakuk 2
]Indeed wealth is treacherous;
a proud man does not succeed.
He who opens wide his throat like Sheol,
and is insatiable as death,
Who gathers to himself all the nations,
and collects for himself all the peoples—
6 Shall not all these take up a taunt against him,
and make a riddle about him, saying:

Ah! you who store up what is not yours
—how long can it last!—
you who load yourself down with collateral.
7 Will your debtors[d] not rise suddenly?

it's talking of usury
of course ive already covered the theme connected to Usury ie the 'stones and the wood'

Ah! you who say to wood, “Awake!”
to silent stone, “Arise!”

symbolic ie money becomes the new form of idolatory.

Zechariah 5
3 And he said to me, “This is the curse that ·will go [or is going out] all over the land. One side says every thief will be ·taken away [banished; purged]. The other side says everyone who ·makes false promises [swears falsely] will be ·taken away [banished; purged]. 4 The Lord ·All-Powerful [Almighty; of Heaven’s Armies; T of hosts] says, ‘I will send it to the houses of thieves and to those who ·use my name to make false promises [swear falsely]. The scroll will stay in that person’s house and destroy it with its wood and stones.

the 'thief' in the context and the one who 'swears falsely'...it is referring to this money lending business of course.

Zech 5 again
0 I asked the ·angel [messenger] who was talking with me, “Where are they taking the basket?”
11 “They are going to Babylonia to build a ·temple for it,” he answered. “When ·the temple is ready, they will set the basket there ·in its place [or on its base/pedestal].”

Hadith

(8) Narrated Abu Said Al-Khudri and Abu Huraira: Allah's Apostle appointed somebody as a governor of Khaibar. That governor brought to him an excellent kind of dates (from Khaibar). The Prophet asked, "Are all the dates of Khaibar like this?" He replied, "By Allah, no, O Allah's Apostle! But we barter one Sa of this (type of dates) for two Sas of dates of ours and two Sas of it for three of ours." Allah's Apostle said, "Do not do so (as that is a kind of usury) but sell the mixed dates (of inferior quality) for money, and then buy good dates with that money." (Book #34, Hadith #405)

(21) Narrated Abu Huraira: The Prophet said, "Avoid the seven great destructive sins." They (the people!) asked, "O Allah's Apostle! What are they?" He said, "To join partners in worship with Allah; to practice sorcery; to kill the life which Allah has forbidden except for a just cause (according to Islamic law); to eat up usury (Riba), to eat up the property of an orphan; to give one's back to the enemy and freeing from the battle-field at the time of fighting and to accuse chaste women who never even think of anything touching chastity and are good believers." (Book #82, Hadith #840)

(3) Narrated Abdullah ibn Mas'ud: The Apostle of Allah (peace_be_upon_him) cursed the one who accepted usury, the one who paid it, the witness to it, and the one who recorded it. (Book #22, Hadith #3327)
See Zech 5, the 'curse' again.

(2) Narrated AbuHurayrah: The Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) said: A time is certainly coming to mankind when only the receiver of usury will remain, and if he does not receive it, some of its vapour will reach him. Ibn Isa said: Some of its dust will reach him. (Book #22, Hadith #3325)

how did he know?
did the jews tell him?

(4) Narrated Amr ibn al-Ahwas al-Jushami: I heard the Apostle of Allah (peace_be_upon_him) say in the Farewell Pilgrimage: "Lo, all claims to usury of the pre-Islamic period have been abolished. You shall have your capital sums, deal not unjustly and you shall not be dealt with unjustly. Lo, all claims for blood-vengeance belonging to the pre-Islamic period have been abolished. The first of those murdered among us whose blood-vengeance I remit is al-Harith ibn AbdulMuttalib, who suckled among Banu Layth and killed by Hudhayl." He then said: O Allah, have I conveyed the message? They said: Yes, saying it three times. He then said: O Allah, be witness, saying it three times. (Book #22, Hadith #3328)

(7) Narrated AbuUmamah: The Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) said: If anyone intercedes for his brother and he presents a gift to him for it and he accepts it, he approaches a great door of the doors of usury. (Book #23, Hadith #3534)

(8) Narrated Sa'id ibn Zayd: The Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) said: The most prevalent kind of usury is going to lengths in talking unjustly against a Muslim's honour. (Book #41, Hadith #4858)

i don't see the word 'jew' mentioned anywhere.
Absolutely wrecked.

@Kung Fu in Zechariah when it says 'the land' it is referring to the holy land ie in Zech 11
. 6 I will no longer show pity to the inhabitants of the land,”
“No, I will hand every one of them over to the power of a neighbor and to the power of his king; they will crush the land; and I won’t rescue them from their power.”

and of course dajjal
6 For I am going to raise up a shepherd in the land who won’t bother about the ones who have been destroyed, won’t seek out the young, won’t heal the broken and won’t feed those standing still; on the contrary, he will eat the meat of the fat ones and break their hoofs in pieces.

17 “Woe to the worthless shepherd
who abandons the sheep!
May a sword strike his arm
and his right eye.
May his arm be completely withered
and his right eye totally blinded.”

So going back to Zech 5

this is entirely about usury

now extend that to Israel....and it's a whole different animal.

He's mad because

The prophet SAW had a jewish problem........so did Yahweh evidently.

Serveto

Star
Addendum:

@Thunderian, because I do often appreciate your "private interpretations," which I place in quotation marks as I put my tongue in my cheek, I wonder if you could elaborate on something which has occurred to me after my most recent post (above).
Thunderian said:
It occurs to me, upon closer consideration of the text, that Jesus' issue seems not related exclusively with the location of the money-changers (within the temple), but, as well, perhaps with the type of transactions.
And [Jesus] said unto them [money-changers], It is written, My house shall be called the house of prayer; but ye have made it a den of thieves. (Matt 21:13)
The question, to me, is why Jesus refers to them as "thieves." Was their mode of commerce, the changing and exchanging of money, thief-like?

Thunderian

Superstar
Addendum:

@Thunderian, because I do often appreciate your "private interpretations," which I place in quotation marks as I put my tongue in my cheek, I wonder if you could elaborate on something which has occurred to me after my most recent post (above).

It occurs to me, upon closer consideration of the text, that Jesus' issue seems not related exclusively with the location of the money-changers (within the temple), but, as well, perhaps with the type of transactions.

The question, to me, is why Jesus refers to them as "thieves." Was their mode of commerce, the changing and exchanging of money, thief-like?
The simple answer is yes, but this is apparently far from a simple topic, so here's the long answer.

First, a point of clarification. "Private interpretation" does not mean what so many people think it does. For some reason, and maybe it's just on this board, folks have gotten the idea that private interpretation has to do with the interpretation of scripture. The phrase is generally used when someone who doesn't know the Bible runs up against an interpretation of it that goes against what they believe is the correct meaning of a verse or passage. Now, by definition, both those interpretations of scripture would be "private", would they not?

2 Peter 1 says:

19 We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts:
20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.
21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

The passage makes it pretty plain that it's not referring to interpretation of the Bible, but of the writing of the Bible itself. It is saying that the Bible (prophecy of the scripture) is from holy men of God who are moved by the Holy Ghost. Nothing at all about the layman making up his own interpretation is found anywhere. And on that note, the Bible is it's own interpreter. Any answers as far as the meaning of the text are always found elsewhere in the Bible. That's why we study it, and don't just post verses without context or understanding, like so many do.

Of course, there are those who will say this is just my private interpretation, but I think that anyone who reads English can understand the meaning of those verses.

Now, as for the money-changers and merchants, Jesus actually kicked them out of the Temple twice. Once at the beginning of his ministry, and once at the end. Jews were required by various laws to pay their tithe in Temple coin, and to sacrifice certain animals. The money-changers would charge a fee to change Roman coins over into shekels, and the merchants would sell livestock for sacrifices. It's not explicit in the text, but there is little doubt that the priests were the ones who owned these commercial stalls, and in doing so they were stealing the original purpose of the Temple as a house of prayer, and turning it into a vending area to line their own pockets.

The Bible is clear that the priests provision was to come out of the tithes, offerings and sacrifices. They were never to use the Temple for profit or to make themselves rich. But records show that the priests lived in the wealthiest section of the city. They were using their positions and the house of God for their own gain, and in doing so were stealing from God and from the people.

I realize that this is pretty off-topic, since there is no indication that any money lending or usury was involved, but corruption and theft, but now you know why he called them thieves.