Trump wants to clean up

Lisa

Superstar
Magic Mushrooms are the most promising treatment for depression in decades. I can’t wait until the drug hits the market.
My dad went into the Air Force with a really bad stutter, the dr there told him that cigarettes were the way to stop the stutter...he was right my dad rarely stutters but then he had a smoking problem. Changed one for the other. He doesn’t smoke now, after a battle he chooses not to smoke anymore.

polymoog

Superstar
That’s the hope right...but do those people do that though? You know if you just give people hand outs...they stop doing for themselves a lot of the times. I mean, if people are serious about not being homeless they will take that helping hand and use it...if not, that won’t help them.
yes, that is the hope and i would like to keep that option open for those who want to use it. they should have the opportunity. if theres not much of a demand [for getting their GED, etc.] like you say, then its not much of a burden on the taxpayer anyway so everyone is happy.
basic food and shelter is not a handout.

Is that an excuse to tank themselves though? They aren’t just hurting themselves...they are hurting their family members too. You forget people also do drugs to keep up with their friends.
people react differently to trauma, but you should know that no one is thinking about anything except dulling the emotional pain. i am not saying its the correct course of action nor am i excusing it. they are simply not thinking rationally.
those who do drugs due to peer pressure are becoming addicted for different reasons. in any case, they have become addicted and have slid down into the little ant lion hole and cannot get out. again, if they want to stay addicted, fine. but we should afford them the opportunity/choice to get back on their feet.
when you were ready to change your life and get help, i am sure someone or some group was there to give you a hand. therefore, should we not provide this to an addict or a homeless person who is "sick and tired of being sick and tired"?

My dad went into the Air Force with a really bad stutter, the dr there told him that cigarettes were the way to stop the stutter...he was right my dad rarely stutters but then he had a smoking problem. Changed one for the other. He doesn’t smoke now, after a battle he chooses not to smoke anymore.
Nicotine is one of the most addictive substances known to man, and cigarettes are deadly. Mushrooms are neither addictive nor deadly, so this is a terrible comparison.

Glad your dad quit though.

elsbet

Superstar
Is that an excuse to tank themselves though? They aren’t just hurting themselves...they are hurting their family members too. You forget people also do drugs to keep up with their friends.

I have been that depressed I was suicidal for many years..I know what that is like. I also know about wanting relief..instead of turning to drugs or drink..I had food issues big time...still do..so I also know the pressures of relapsing. I feel like with food though, you don’t have a choice on whether you can give that up, cause you don’t eat you die...so its always a pressure on me. Whereas, drug addicts/alcoholics that was a choice..for whatever reason. Same kind of issue, its my choice to overeat..their choice to self medicate we all have to choose not to to stop it. That’s how you stop, you choose to not do it. I’ve heard aa says its one day at a time...but is a choice to begin..its a choice to stop.
I've heard that nonsense from people with food issues before... well, you have to eat or you'll die. The Truth is you can go MUCH longer without eating than drinking, before you die.

So, as you can see... that "logic" is not very logical, at all.

It is the deadly, and very delusional thinking of an Addict. You're no different than the junkie you blame for lack of self control. It is only your drug of choice that is different.
-

Lisa

Superstar
basic food and shelter is not a handout.
Actually, basic food and shelter is a handout...people know they have to work to eat and have a place to stay. I don’t mind the handout if the person getting the handout is going to use it to help them to become a working person. But, I don’t like it when people use it to live on indefinitely or uses the kindness to be homeless and live off the streets and make the streets their living room and toilet...
Working is a good thing.

people react differently to trauma, but you should know that no one is thinking about anything except dulling the emotional pain. i am not saying its the correct course of action nor am i excusing it. they are simply not thinking rationally.
those who do drugs due to peer pressure are becoming addicted for different reasons. in any case, they have become addicted and have slid down into the little ant lion hole and cannot get out. again, if they want to stay addicted, fine. but we should afford them the opportunity/choice to get back on their feet.
when you were ready to change your life and get help, i am sure someone or some group was there to give you a hand. therefore, should we not provide this to an addict or a homeless person who is "sick and tired of being sick and tired"?
O sure...I want people to get back on their feet too, and choose to not be addicted. But, if they are going to get handouts that only continue their addiction..then I don’t think it works then.

No, actually, I wasn’t helped by anyone but God. I did go to other people who didn’t really help me. God is the only one who knows exactly how to help people. Why do you think I am a Christian? I believed in Jesus and He’s helped me, it’s why I tell people about Jesus here. It’s why I think He is the one that can help anyone..because He’s helped me.

Lisa

Superstar
Nicotine is one of the most addictive substances known to man, and cigarettes are deadly. Mushrooms are neither addictive nor deadly, so this is a terrible comparison.

Glad your dad quit though.
Thanks, me too.

Mushrooms aren’t the way to solve the problem either.

Lisa

Superstar
I've heard that nonsense from people with food issues before... well, you have to eat or you'll die. The Truth is you can go MUCH longer without eating than drinking, before you die.

So, as you can see... that "logic" is not very logical, at all.

It is the deadly, and very delusional thinking of an Addict. You're no different than the junkie you blame for lack of self control. It is only your drug of choice that is different.
-
Lol! But you do have to eat...can’t quit that cold turkey or move onto something else...can you go your whole life without eating? That’s ridiculous! I would say your logic isn’t very logical.

The alcoholic has to choose not to drink alcohol, the drug abuser has to choose not to to drugs. Which is my point. That is the only way they can stop their addiction. I can’t just choose not to eat, so I have to choose not to overeat. The alcoholic and drug addict in my mind has the easier choice..don’t do it anymore, that’s all they have to do. Or the better thing..don’t start it, it doesn’t help you and only hurts you and your relationships and causes a lot of misery.

polymoog

Superstar

some people ask for help through god or jesus.
some choose mushrooms.

ive never asked jesus to help me, but i know it works for some people. i would ask you to extend the same courtesy for someone who has tried mushrooms and had it work, especially when you havent tried it yourself.

polymoog

Superstar
O sure...I want people to get back on their feet too, and choose to not be addicted. But, if they are going to get handouts that only continue their addiction..then I don’t think it works then.
like i said, we are extending a help line to those who wish to take it. consider the homeless innocent until proven guilty.
if you wish to call basic food and shelter a handout, ok. that is a handout i support. its not a financial handout.
further, the shelters can be run by the homeless themselves. that will provide them work.

i dont know the numbers, but if only a few people use the shelter to get back on their feet and become a productive member of society (i hate to use that terminology), the program has probably paid for itself.

Dalit

Star
Lol! But you do have to eat...can’t quit that cold turkey or move onto something else...can you go your whole life without eating? That’s ridiculous! I would say your logic isn’t very logical.

The alcoholic has to choose not to drink alcohol, the drug abuser has to choose not to to drugs. Which is my point. That is the only way they can stop their addiction. I can’t just choose not to eat, so I have to choose not to overeat. The alcoholic and drug addict in my mind has the easier choice..don’t do it anymore, that’s all they have to do. Or the better thing..don’t start it, it doesn’t help you and only hurts you and your relationships and causes a lot of misery.
As a fellow food addict (sugar and flour) I can empathize with you, yet the principle of addiction is the same whether it's drink, food, sex, drugs, gambling, video games, etc. And I would say it's not just overeating but what one is choosing to eat. No one (hardly) ever overeats steamed broccoli. It's the flour and sugar usually. It's the highly processed, nutritionally deficient food products which are full of flour, sugar, partially hydrogenated oils, etc.

The choice to quit isn't easier, just different. Addiction is addiction no matter what the substance is.

Actually they might be, the early stages of research are incredibly promising. You know what they do as a last resort for depression? Electro convulsive therapy. This chemical and others like it offer the best hope for treatment of depression and other disorders without the side effects of the current medications.

Even recreationally mushrooms are basically harmless, let the hippies and festival kids have their fun, who are you Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino? ;)

Anyway I know you’ll just say the cure to every problem is Jesus blah blah blah but the world doesn’t work that way.

I personally believe that Jesus has done a lot for me, especially when he is viewed through a more Gnostic, Social Anarchist point of view, it’s really helped me, honest, but it doesn’t change the underlying chemical issues that cause my depression.

Lisa

Superstar
As a fellow food addict (sugar and flour) I can empathize with you, yet the principle of addiction is the same whether it's drink, food, sex, drugs, gambling, video games, etc. And I would say it's not just overeating but what one is choosing to eat. No one (hardly) ever overeats steamed broccoli. It's the flour and sugar usually. It's the highly processed, nutritionally deficient food products which are full of flour, sugar, partially hydrogenated oils, etc.

The choice to quit isn't easier, just different. Addiction is addiction no matter what the substance is.
The point being that you can’t quit food like you can alcohol or drugs. Whether or not you are eating the wrong foods or not you still have to eat. You don’t have to do drugs or drink alcohol...so I don’t see it as the same at all.

Lisa

Superstar
Anyway I know you’ll just say the cure to every problem is Jesus blah blah blah but the world doesn’t work that way.

I personally believe that Jesus has done a lot for me, especially when he is viewed through a more Gnostic, Social Anarchist point of view, it’s really helped me, honest, but it doesn’t change the underlying chemical issues that cause my depression.
Actually...yes Jesus is the answer to every problem. He is the one that says come to me all who are weary and heavy laden and I will give you rest. And He means it. I know this is true because I have come to Him and He has changed me from the person I used to be to someone who now has hope and a future.

Lisa

Superstar
like i said, we are extending a help line to those who wish to take it. consider the homeless innocent until proven guilty.
if you wish to call basic food and shelter a handout, ok. that is a handout i support. its not a financial handout.
further, the shelters can be run by the homeless themselves. that will provide them work.

i dont know the numbers, but if only a few people use the shelter to get back on their feet and become a productive member of society (i hate to use that terminology), the program has probably paid for itself.
But what about the ones who don’t get back in their feet what then? Is it really ok to let them continue on in their homelessness and say well we tried? And what was the trying a meal? Does a meal end homelessness-no. Give them a free place to stay..and they trash that too and probably get kicked out because they are doing their drugs or getting drunk. So does that help them-no.

I don’t think it’s good enough to say we helped a couple when the rest are still homeless.

Lisa

Superstar
Business owners in an industrial area east of USC installed 4-foot-high chain-link fences down the middle of the sidewalk that surrounds their buildings, in an act of what they called desperation.

For months, they said, they had called the city’s 311 hotline, seeking relief from encampments along Broadway and Hill streets. They complained of general filth and homeless people setting fires, using drugs and engaging in prostitution.

After the fences went up, the encampments disappeared.

https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-homeless-encampment-planter-fence-resident-neighborhood-20190710-htmlstory.html

The struggle is real!

justjess

Superstar
“Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the Kingdom prepared for you from the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry, and you fed me. I was thirsty, and you gave me a drink. I was a stranger, and you invited me into your home. 36 I was naked, and you gave me clothing. I was sick, and you cared for me. I was in prison, and you visited me.’
37 “Then these righteous ones will reply, ‘Lord, when did we ever see you hungry and feed you? Or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 Or a stranger and show you hospitality? Or naked and give you clothing? 39 When did we ever see you sick or in prison and visit you?’
40 “And the King will say, ‘I tell you the truth, when you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters,* you were doing it to me!’
41 “Then the King will turn to those on the left and say, ‘Away with you, you cursed ones, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his demons.* 42 For I was hungry, and you didn’t feed me. I was thirsty, and you didn’t give me a drink. 43 I was a stranger, and you didn’t invite me into your home. I was naked, and you didn’t give me clothing. I was sick and in prison, and you didn’t visit me.’
44 “Then they will reply, ‘Lord, when did we ever see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and not help you?’
45 “And he will answer, ‘I tell you the truth, when you refused to help the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were refusing to help me.’
46 “And they will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous will go into eternal life.”

It isn’t about what THEY DO with the food or shelter or whatever. It’s about what YOU DO when you see someone in need and what that says about YOU as a person.

Lisa

Superstar
“Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the Kingdom prepared for you from the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry, and you fed me. I was thirsty, and you gave me a drink. I was a stranger, and you invited me into your home. 36 I was naked, and you gave me clothing. I was sick, and you cared for me. I was in prison, and you visited me.’
37 “Then these righteous ones will reply, ‘Lord, when did we ever see you hungry and feed you? Or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 Or a stranger and show you hospitality? Or naked and give you clothing? 39 When did we ever see you sick or in prison and visit you?’
40 “And the King will say, ‘I tell you the truth, when you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters,* you were doing it to me!’

It isn’t about what THEY DO with the food or shelter or whatever. It’s about what YOU DO when you see someone in need and what that says about YOU as a person.
But it is about what they do, they aren’t excused because they are homeless. No one is excused because of their circumstances.

Help people but don’t keep them in their circumstances...that’s enabling isn’t it? Jesus didn’t tell us to enable people’s sins.