One sentence piece of advice you would give your younger self

This thread is meant to be half-serious (at most) OK? Think of a message you would tell your younger self to do/ not do:
E.g. "don't get that 80s perm hairstyle - you'll cringe at the memory of it!"
“You will know you are in love because you will fall hard, and fast. When that person hurts you, and they inevitably will, do NOT take it personally. First loves are often the most painful....you will not heal until you feel the pain & let it run its course. When you have healed—-and you will—do not hold it against the next one.”

“Go to college” then I would have to beat my past self up because my past self would have been like “don’t tell me what to do bro”

I keep imagining Biff going back in time and giving himself the sports almanac.

Last edited:

Robin

Veteran
"WHAT OTHER PEOPLE SAY ABOUT YOU IS NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS. You are not on this earth to be palatable to every person you meet. You are fine on your own, and when you stop begging the wrong people for love, the right person will love you so much you’ll know what all those songs you love were written about."

Vytas

Star
This thread is so awesome I loved every single reply. I would love to give my younger self some brains, because looking back it didn't seem like I had any... Other than than
that...
You don't have to experience every single thing on earth for yourself. Life is not about it, you are brainwashed with fake values. It's selfish and often useless or even harmful. Get in a habit to think before you speak. Your mouth is like a pandora box. Everything in life has a price if you think you going just to do something and get away with it, you won't. You will pay for it in the long run. Every sin has a price. Ignore woman who like you right from the first glance, they will destroy your life. And most important - God, is out there, he is waiting for you to wake up....

Dalit

Star
"WHAT OTHER PEOPLE SAY ABOUT YOU IS NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS. You are not on this earth to be palatable to every person you meet. You are fine on your own, and when you stop begging the wrong people for love, the right person will love you so much you’ll know what all those songs you love were written about."
This is just good. And I've loved so many dumbasses in my time that I'm ready for the one who isn't. Hopefully, he'll be a delightful smartass. :)

Dalit

Star
From the Baz Luhrman "Sunscreen Song": You are not as fat as you imagine. Do not read beauty magazines; they will only make you feel ugly.

Don't be reckless with other people's hearts; don't put up with people who are reckless with yours.

Remember the compliments you receive; forget the insults. If you succeed in doing this, tell me how.

Don't feel guilty if you don't know what you want to do with your life; the most interesting people I know didn't know at 22 what they wanted to do with their lives; some of the most interesting 40 years olds I know still don't.

P.S. i was in the class of '99 when this song came out and I was that 22 year old or one of them. Had no idea I'd be where I am now.

Bellz

Rookie
Mine is serious:

Don't be afraid of failure. The world (and you) will still go on if you try something and it doesn't work out.

There were so many things I wanted to do, but was too afraid of failing that I didn't bother trying. Now, I'll never know if I could have really done them or not. The what ifs are far worse than the failures as you get older.

"What if's" is a terrible thing. It can eat you up

elsbet

Superstar
“Go to college” then I would have to beat my past self up because my past self would have been like “don’t tell me what to do bro”

I keep imagining Biff going back in time and giving himself the sports almanac.
This... lol

And I did go back to school. Three times. Every time, something outside my control happened and I had to stop-- not always something bad, either! Some job offers are not to be turned down. :)

So now I have student debt, no official degree, but fortunately, no regret-- I've accepted it. I'm in a very good place that I likely would not be, had I continued on the previous path.

Lisa

Superstar
Don’t believe everything everyone said about you. Being nice is not the point of Christianity.

Lisa

Superstar
Don’t believe everything everyone said about you.
Being nice is not the point of Christianity.

I there a form of spirituality that you feel better represents the true condition of the human heart and the nature of any transcendent being(s) you may believe in?
No gods, no masters. Only philosophy particularly Anarchism, true human freedom. That’s the only thing worth living fighting and dying for.

Lisa

Superstar
Any moral person will oppose your death cult.
Doesn’t sound like a death cult to me..
Matthew‬ ‭11:28-30‬ ‭
Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and YOU WILL FIND REST FOR YOUR SOULS. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.
‭‭​