One sentence piece of advice you would give your younger self

JoChris

Superstar
For me (mostly seriously) it would be:

1) Do not get into debt to pay for university, as it is mostly a scam.

2) Anything debt related is a scam.
It certainly looks like debt = scam.
"Don't fall for negative investing property advisor's sales pitch". (The suburb was cheap for a reason - not that many jobs and close to freeway.)

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
I would also have sent back in time an extract from Les Miserables to consider in my dealings with others.

Jean Valjean, after being freed from 19 years of hard labour for stealing a loaf of bread to feed his sister’s child, is taken in by a local bishop in Christian charity. For all intents and purposes, Valjean is a sinner according to the law. He is unfit to be welcomed. But the bishop knows that God’s law requires love, charity, and hospitality. “Though our lives are very humble, what we have we have to share,” the bishop says. And even when Valjean, in a hasty and thoughtless act, steals the bishop’s silver in the night and is caught the next morning, the bishop gives him more: two silver candlesticks. To some this may seem absurd, but in this act the bishop gives Valjean another chance in the name of God. “You must use this precious silver to become an honest man,” says the bishop. “God has raised you out of darkness, I have saved your soul for God!”

Blessed are the merciful...

https://godinallthings.com/2013/03/04/the-bishop-with-the-candlesticks/

Last edited:

JoChris

Superstar
I would also have sent back in time an extract from Les Miserables to consider in my dealings with others.

Jean Valjean, after being freed from 19 years of hard labour for stealing a loaf of bread to feed his sister’s child, is taken in by a local bishop in Christian charity. For all intents and purposes, Valjean is a sinner according to the law. He is unfit to be welcomed. But the bishop knows that God’s law requires love, charity, and hospitality. “Though our lives are very humble, what we have we have to share,” the bishop says. And even when Valjean, in a hasty and thoughtless act, steals the bishop’s silver in the night and is caught the next morning, the bishop gives him more: two silver candlesticks. To some this may seem absurd, but in this act the bishop gives Valjean another chance in the name of God. “You must use this precious silver to become an honest man,” says the bishop. “God has raised you out of darkness, I have saved your soul for God!”

Blessed are the merciful...

https://godinallthings.com/2013/03/04/the-bishop-with-the-candlesticks/
Knowing when, how and to what extent to actively show mercy to others in individual circumstances - we all need wisdom to do that. I always went from one extreme to another, going from too kind to too judgemental depending on my feelings.

In this particular area, I would have said to my younger self:
"Don't be kind/ merciful to make *yourself* feel like a better person, do what is *right* for the other person" .

Sometimes what appears unmerciful to outsiders is actually being merciful long-term. E.g. making someone do something unpleasant (that they must do to get better) after encouragement has been proved to be ineffective. That should be last option however.

Last edited:

rainerann

Star
This is the best advice I gave myself when I was younger. Change requires taking a leap of faith. I would basically tell myself this every time I was faced with something that seemed like it had an unknown outcome and many things have unknown outcomes when you are younger. It worked pretty well. Not exactly the same thing as sharing what I would have liked to hear when I was younger, but thought I would share anyway.

JoChris

Superstar
I suppose my original post should be modified: if possible light-hearted posts, but sincere ones welcome too.

To me: "learn to tell 1. constructive criticism from 2. personal attack, and ignore hurt feelings when it is first option".
For too long my reflex reaction was to treat anything/ anybody that hurt my feelings as an enemy and not a friend.

Maes17

Superstar
This is the best advice I gave myself when I was younger. Change requires taking a leap of faith. I would basically tell myself this every time I was faced with something that seemed like it had an unknown outcome and many things have unknown outcomes when you are younger. It worked pretty well. Not exactly the same thing as sharing what I would have liked to hear when I was younger, but thought I would share anyway.
Yeah I'd probably tell my younger self this too!

Especially me, an almost creature of habit. Always have to feel routine. Scheduled etc.(former athlete).

Now. Just embrace change/unknown for the better.
Really changes your outlook on life as you get older and wiser

elsbet

Superstar
Do whatever you intended to do otherwise you can never be me.
I love this... ♡

I was thinking along those lines, myself. The wistful thoughts that actually plague people are often of a sinister nature imo-- had you chosen option B. over option A., instead, you could have ended up in a house fire, or some other unfortunate experience. Or.. you may not have some of the people in your life that you have now.. perish the thought!

It is soo easy to romance the regret that we could miss enjoying the benefit of the wisdom we have gained-- often, the hard way. No offense on the thread intended-- it is a collection of lessons we have learned that make us better (and sweeter), today. As a friend of mine used to say, don't burn down the Schoolhouse, man. :p

JoChris

Superstar
This my older self typing to me right now:
"When you have said your piece, zip it."

Scars512

Established
Mine is serious:

Don't be afraid of failure. The world (and you) will still go on if you try something and it doesn't work out.

There were so many things I wanted to do, but was too afraid of failing that I didn't bother trying. Now, I'll never know if I could have really done them or not. The what ifs are far worse than the failures as you get older.