One sentence piece of advice you would give your younger self

JoChris

Superstar
This thread is meant to be half-serious (at most) OK? Think of a message you would tell your younger self to do/ not do:
E.g. "don't get that 80s perm hairstyle - you'll cringe at the memory of it!"

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
This thread is meant to be half-serious (at most) OK? Think of a message you would tell your younger self to do/ not do:
E.g. "don't get that 80s perm hairstyle - you'll cringe at the memory of it!"
Note to younger self...

"You have two ears and one mouth for a reason! Go away and think about it"

And

"Try to understand that history is like walking into a room where a really interesting conversation has been taking place long before you arrived."

JoChris

Superstar
Stay away from people and trust NO ONE ever.
You sound like you are still young. Part of maturing is learning who to trust and why, and how to tell the difference between good and bad people so you don't get hurt unnecessarily.

I also had to learn how to not think as black-and-white when someone failed me. E.g. Why did they do this hurtful thing to me? Was it accidental or intended? Was it a once-off event or a regular pattern.

Like riding a bike, learning to cope with other people's failings and personal injuries only comes with practice and *determination* to keep trying.
So as a older person I am saying this to you, my younger self:
People will fail you. Try anyway. People will hurt you. Love anyway.
You will only grow strong through working through this situation. Running away never works.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
Stay away from people and trust NO ONE ever.
I have felt that a few times along the way!

People (even the best of them) frequently disappoint me, but I stopped expecting perfection from them and looked to Jesus instead (especially as I know how flawed I have been, and still am to a degree).

We all deserve rejection but need mercy!

JoChris

Superstar
I have felt that a few times along the way!

People (even the best of them) frequently disappoint me, but I stopped expecting perfection from them and looked to Jesus instead (especially as I know how flawed I have been, and still am to a degree).

We all deserve rejection but need mercy!
I remembered the thread I started many months ago. It puts things in perspective. https://vigilantcitizenforums.com/threads/testimonies-of-forgiveness.2705/

-----
More serious one:
Long version " Having a good reputation is much better than being popular, even if that means you are called a goody two shoes, crawler or made fun of in the process."
Simple version " better to have no friends than BAD friends".

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
I remembered the thread I started many months ago. It puts things in perspective. https://vigilantcitizenforums.com/threads/testimonies-of-forgiveness.2705/

-----
More serious one:
Long version " Having a good reputation is much better than being popular, even if that means you are called a goody two shoes, crawler or made fun of in the process."
Simple version " better to have no friends than BAD friends".
This verse has stayed with me for the last few years (till people got tired of me mentioning it).

Romans 12:21

21 Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

If I could have sent this verse back to my younger self I would have saved myself a lot of sorrow.

Mr.Grieves

Veteran
'Buy gold, dude... every 20 your grandma slips into your birthday card, every 5-spot you can get selling Nintendo games... put it all in gold!'

Gold was super-cheap when I was a kid. If only I'd known, I wouldn't have to bother with this 'work' business!

DesertRose

Superstar
Buy gold, dude...
Ahh @Mr.Grieves if only you were of the female persuasion and Muslim you would expect gold even if it is a little!;)
I used to tell my mum I was glad I didn't have a sister back in the day 'cause I did not have to share her gold with anyone......always cheeky and loved eliciting laughs from the parents.

My piece of advice is for people not to stereotype entire groups of people based on their personal experiences..:)

JoChris

Superstar
"When you see that large coconut on the road, do NOT try and ride over it like a speed bump".

Did I actually do that stupid thing?
Yes I did. I fell off my bike (obviously) and fell onto the road into a pile of bitumen gravel. There went my scar-free knee for good....

JoChris

Superstar
'Buy gold, dude... every 20 your grandma slips into your birthday card, every 5-spot you can get selling Nintendo games... put it all in gold!'

Gold was super-cheap when I was a kid. If only I'd known, I wouldn't have to bother with this 'work' business!
My son gave his mate a couple of bitcoins to buy pizza. He is kicking himself now.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
"When you see that large coconut on the road, do NOT try and ride over it like a speed bump".

Did I actually do that stupid thing?
Yes I did. I fell off my bike (obviously) and fell onto the road into a pile of bitumen gravel. There went my scar-free knee for good....
When your best friend at Primary school is drinking at a drinks fountain, DO NOT slap him playfully an the back of his head or he may lose his front tooth, move schools and never see you again...

#stupid

JoChris

Superstar
Okay..

1. That "Lawyer" is actually a conman trying to take everything you have. BREAK OFF ALL CONTACT"

2. Stay away from all men except for the one you met down town.
"That guy with the under-bite is as ugly inside as he is out."
I actually was with him for two YEARS?!!!!!

elsbet

Superstar
Ahh @Mr.Grieves if only you were of the female persuasion and Muslim you would expect gold even if it is a little!;)
I used to tell my mum I was glad I didn't have a sister back in the day 'cause I did not have to share her gold with anyone......always cheeky and loved eliciting laughs from the parents.

My piece of advice is for people not to stereotype entire groups of people based on their personal experiences..:)
I thought this thread was
What advice would you give your younger self...?