Differences between the Bible and Islam

Haich

Superstar
Seeing as Lot's daughters had just seen everyone and everything except their father killed, it is plausible they believed they were the only humans around. It was an exceptional case.

Here is the entire account of Lot and his daughters.

Genesis 19

24Then the LORD rained upon Sodom and upon Gomorrah brimstone and fire from the LORD out of heaven; 25And he overthrew those cities, and all the plain, and all the inhabitants of the cities, and that which grew upon the ground.

26But his wife looked back from behind him, and she became a pillar of salt.

27And Abraham gat up early in the morning to the place where he stood before the LORD: 28And he looked toward Sodom and Gomorrah, and toward all the land of the plain, and beheld, and, lo, the smoke of the country went up as the smoke of a furnace.

29And it came to pass, when God destroyed the cities of the plain, that God remembered Abraham, and sent Lot out of the midst of the overthrow, when he overthrew the cities in the which Lot dwelt.

30And Lot went up out of Zoar, and dwelt in the mountain, and his two daughters with him; for he feared to dwell in Zoar: and he dwelt in a cave, he and his two daughters. 31And the firstborn said unto the younger, Our father is old, and there is not a man in the earth to come in unto us after the manner of all the earth: 32Come, let us make our father drink wine, and we will lie with him, that we may preserve seed of our father.

33And they made their father drink wine that night: and the firstborn went in, and lay with her father; and he perceived not when she lay down, nor when she arose. 34And it came to pass on the morrow, that the firstborn said unto the younger, Behold, I lay yesternight with my father: let us make him drink wine this night also; and go thou in, and lie with him, that we may preserve seed of our father.

35And they made their father drink wine that night also: and the younger arose, and lay with him; and he perceived not when she lay down, nor when she arose. 36Thus were both the daughters of Lot with child by their father. 37And the firstborn bare a son, and called his name Moab: the same is the father of the Moabites unto this day. 38And the younger, she also bare a son, and called his name Benammi: the same is the father of the children of Ammon unto this day.
I mean surely they knew they weren’t the only city on earth. It does paint them as to be quite dim and unassuming. I’m not sure I’m convinced of that argument but I can see how you have deduced it via the quotes you’ve posted.
Isn’t there a general Christian interpretation of why they slept with their father?

Zakat

Star
Holy Qur'an, Chapter 2, The Cow, Verse 285

The Messenger believeth in what hath been revealed to him from his Lord, as do the men of faith. Each one (of them) believeth in God, His angels, His books, and His messengers. "We make no distinction (they say) between one and another of His messengers." And they say: "We hear, and we obey: (We seek) Thy forgiveness, our Lord, and to Thee is the end of all journeys."

Zakat

Star
All His Messengers, from Adam to Jesus to Muhammad, taught their respective people only one thing,
1699088160220.png
Muslims everyday seek God's Protection against Satan during their five daily prayers.
It is written, Laa ilaaha illallah, there is god other than God.
We make no distinction between any of the Prophets, Peace be upon all of them.

So what you say about Adam is that your own conclusion or is in your Bible?
Well, the Bible says what it says about the topic:

Genesis 2
18And the LORD God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him. 19And out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; and brought them unto Adam to see what he would call them: and whatsoever Adam called every living creature, that was the name thereof. 20And Adam gave names to all cattle, and to the fowl of the air, and to every beast of the field; but for Adam there was not found an help meet for him.

No other info is given. Perhaps because it is not a salvation issue.

I know a few Christians in real life and I’ve had this discussion before with them. They’ve told me that God taught Adam the names of things. Also if some animals like the whale were already named, doesn’t that point to God telling Adam what the names of things were? It’s a bit strange for Adam to just utter some sounds and God say yeah cool we’ll go with that. If God creates something he names it is my argument, not Adam
I've never heard that before. Most pastors dont preach about Genesis.

No, the animals were named as of the time the scriptures were written. Which was 2000 yrs or so after, at least.

God gave Adam dominion over all the creatures, that's why he got to name them.

The reason I ask the authorship of the accounts of the prophets is, it’s important to consider the perspective and date they were written. Id argue there seems to be some ambiguity in this and a lot of the prophet stories according to the Bible don’t show them in a great light. It would be helpful to know who wrote the accounts so we could get an idea of reliability. Probably something I’ll look into this weekend.
I absolutely agree that it is important to consider the perspective and date they were written.

I also know that these days most scholars start from the viewpoint that the Bible is not even true...

The Bible's Old Testament was writtten long before Jesus was born, so if it makes the prophets look bad it's because it's true. Not because the writers wanted to elevate Jesus above flawed men.

A good argument for the Hebrew Bible/Old Testament being true is precisely the fact that it makes the Israelites in general look bad. Why would someone make up something that makes themselves look bad?

I mean surely they knew they weren’t the only city on earth. It does paint them as to be quite dim and unassuming. I’m not sure I’m convinced of that argument but I can see how you have deduced it via the quotes you’ve posted.
Isn’t there a general Christian interpretation of why they slept with their father?
No, i can't assume that two women living in the year ~2000 BC would not think that the entire region got destroyed.

The Bible doesn't say how long Lot lived in Sodom. Nor how old the daughters are, only that they are childbearing age. Perhaps they were even born there and had never had contact with the outside world.

I looked it up and it seems to line up with what has already been said in the thread by phipps and myself

Lot’s Daughters
Genesis 19:30-38 describes a situation where Lot’s daughters used wine to get their father drunk so that they could get pregnant and continue his lineage.

From this passage we learn that Lot left Zoar, fearing that it too would be destroyed by fire like Sodom and Gomorrah. He hid with his two daughters in a cave in the mountains. Lot’s elder daughter, thinking all men in the world were destroyed by fire, suggested to her younger sister that they lay with their father in order to procreate. They believed that if they did not do that, humanity would become extinct.

The passage goes on to describe how the daughters got their father drunk with wine on two successive nights, and how they became pregnant without their father being aware of what was happening due to intoxication. The Bible record tells us that Lot “did not know” when each “lay down or when she arose” (verses 33,35). Although Lot is not responsible for the action of his daughters, he did accept to drink the wine that was offered to him.

The Result
The last two chapters in Genesis 19 record how the older daughter gave birth to a son who she named Moab and the younger daughter had a son called Benammi. Their sons are described as founding the Moabite and Ammonite nations that became the continuous pagan enemies of ancient Israel.

In this story Lot’s daughters displayed the evil effects of Sodom. They grew up in a city where all forms of immorality were widespread; as a result, their judgment became corrupted and their conscience dull. Lot failed to protect his daughters from becoming victims of the Sodomites, and he apparently didn’t instill in them the principles of right and wrong.

Lot made very poor decisions in his life. He chose to live in the city of Sodom instead of a simple life outside the cities. He did that for the sole purpose of gaining material prosperity. The few years he lived in Sodom resulted in great losses. And the wicked and idolatrous Moabites and Ammonites were his only posterity. Whereas Abraham, who chose to dwell outside the wicked cities, was preserved with his entire family and possessions, and more importantly, his legacy

Haich

Superstar
Well, the Bible says what it says about the topic:

Genesis 2
18And the LORD God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him. 19And out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; and brought them unto Adam to see what he would call them: and whatsoever Adam called every living creature, that was the name thereof. 20And Adam gave names to all cattle, and to the fowl of the air, and to every beast of the field; but for Adam there was not found an help meet for him.

No other info is given. Perhaps because it is not a salvation issue.

I've never heard that before. Most pastors dont preach about Genesis.

No, the animals were named as of the time the scriptures were written. Which was 2000 yrs or so after, at least.

God gave Adam dominion over all the creatures, that's why he got to name them.

I absolutely agree that it is important to consider the perspective and date they were written.

I also know that these days most scholars start from the viewpoint that the Bible is not even true...

The Bible's Old Testament was writtten long before Jesus was born, so if it makes the prophets look bad it's because it's true. Not because the writers wanted to elevate Jesus above flawed men.

A good argument for the Hebrew Bible/Old Testament being true is precisely the fact that it makes the Israelites in general look bad. Why would someone make up something that makes themselves look bad?
Yeah I’ve been looking briefly into why the Bible is considered untrue, it’s a big study but I’ve concluded so far that the discrepancies and errors and sketchy authorship of some parts make it a body of work which you have to take with a pinch of salt (in terms of academia anyway). But I can’t seem to find much on actual Christian scholars as Pastors just relay the message in The Bible. I guess this is something I have to do some more research into when time allows. Authorship is very important to me.

Haich

Superstar
No, i can't assume that two women living in the year ~2000 BC would not think that the entire region got destroyed.

The Bible doesn't say how long Lot lived in Sodom. Nor how old the daughters are, only that they are childbearing age. Perhaps they were even born there and had never had contact with the outside world.

I looked it up and it seems to line up with what has already been said in the thread by phipps and myself

I have a real issue with the Lot story as I don’t see how God would allow for the trickery of Lot at the hands of his daughters when they get him drunk. It’s just such a controversial but also hard to believe account of events. Why would God allow all that sin?
Anyway I found this blog which compares the narratives of the Bible and the Quran. I think it sums up what most Muslims think when they hear the biblical account of Lot.

Yeah I’ve been looking briefly into why the Bible is considered untrue, it’s a big study but I’ve concluded so far that the discrepancies and errors and sketchy authorship of some parts make it a body of work which you have to take with a pinch of salt (in terms of academia anyway). But I can’t seem to find much on actual Christian scholars as Pastors just relay the message in The Bible. I guess this is something I have to do some more research into when time allows. Authorship is very important to me.
Yeah as far as academia they make it out to be all myths and legends.
They come at the topic with an attitude of wanting to disprove it. Many of the so called discrepancies and errors are that. And some of it has to do with the newer versions which are based on flawed manuscripts, which oftej contradict each other.

I have a reference Bible that mentions the authorship issue, ill have to take a look and post when i have a chance.

Flarepath

Star
..the modern versions are no longer accurately God's word. I don't necessarily agree with them, but it's important to be vigilant when reading a modern translation, and if possinle to stick with the King James.

Yes the KJV is fearless, but some modern versions are wimpy and pol-correct or just downright rubbish.
The NIV (New International Version) is one of the best of a bad bunch but at least its modern language serves as a useful reference that complements the KJV..:)

Flarepath

Star
Holy Qur'an, Chapter 2, The Cow, Verse 285
"We make no distinction (they say) between one and another of His messengers."

Haha, that's just another typical trick of the Koran trying to relegate Jesus to the status of just another run-of-the-mill prophet instead of admitting he was the Son of God..:)

Flarepath

Star
I read somewhere they believe that Judas got crucified in Jesus' place, if i remember correctly.
Can someone confirm is that is what Islam teaches?

The Koran says Jesus wasn't crucified, and that an un-named "stunt man lookalike" took his place on the cross, I doubt if it was Judas because he'd gone off and hung himself...:)

Koran-no_crucify2.jpg

Last edited:
Yes the KJV is fearless, but some modern versions are wimpy and pol-correct or just downright rubbish.
The NIV (New International Version) is one of the best of a bad bunch but at least its modern language serves as a useful reference that complements the KJV..:)
WHICH NIV though? From what i understand they keep coming out with updates and the older NIV is removed from the internet and no longer being published.

The first printing of the entire Bible was in 1978. Additional changes were made in 1983. Versions based on the NIV are the New International Version – UK (NIVUK) and the New International Reader’s Version (NIrV), an “easier to read and understand” version of the NIV. In 2005, a significant revision of the NIV, known as the Today’s New International Version, was published by Zondervan. The TNIV’s primary change from the NIV is a more gender-inclusive translation of certain terms. Because of its controversial gender inclusiveness, the TNIV was the subject of a great deal of criticism from the evangelical world and went out of print in 2009.

In March 2011, the publisher of the NIV, Zondervan, issued a new edition, the 2011 New International Version. This edition replaced the 1984 NIV, which will no longer be published. Like its predecessor, the TNIV, the 2011 NIV was translated using gender-neutral translation rules, resulting in the replacement of gender-specific words (e.g. man, woman, he, she, son, daughter) with gender-neutral words (e. g. person, they, child). In many cases these replacements are made even when the original language clearly intends a specific gender. The Council on Biblical Manhood and Womanhood, which reviewed the 2011 NIV, issued a statement saying they could not recommend the 2011 NIV because of "over 3,600 gender-related problems" that were previously in its critique of the TNIV.

It is crucial to understand that from 2011 on, the NIV will not be the same NIV the world has known and loved since 1984. When purchasing a Bible, “NIV” will now mean the 2011 NIV. Previously printed copies of the 1984 NIV will be sold out and no longer available. When an author quotes a Bible passage in a book and notes it as coming from the NIV, it will probably be the 2011 NIV.

Flarepath

Star
WHICH NIV though? From what i understand they keep coming out with updates and the older NIV is removed from the internet and no longer being published.
I haven't picked up any bible for literally years because countless bible verses are wallpapered on the inside of my skull because I've been repeatedly posting them in forums for the past 20 years and know them all off by heart..:)
Correction- I've never been able to remember most exact chapter and verse numbers, and that's the only time I reach for a bible, usually an online one such as Bible Gateway to refresh my memory..:)

Last edited:
I have a real issue with the Lot story as I don’t see how God would allow for the trickery of Lot at the hands of his daughters when they get him drunk. It’s just such a controversial but also hard to believe account of events. Why would God allow all that sin?
Anyway I found this blog which compares the narratives of the Bible and the Quran. I think it sums up what most Muslims think when they hear the biblical account of Lot.
I had the chance to read it. Interesting.

It appears an argument is that the story of Lot's daughters is propaganda in order to discredit the ammonites and moabites, as they were the products of incest.

My rebuttal would be that although the ammonites and moabites were enemies of ancient Israel, the Israelites were not commanded to destroy them completely, as with the amalekites, hittites, amorites, hivites, etc.* Yet these peoples are not noted as being the product of incest (instead it was their inhospitality (amalekites) and the curse of Canaan (the other groups)). It would seem arbitrary that there is no similar propaganda about Israel's biggest enemies.

Furthermore, Ruth, an ancestor of king David ** (and thus, Jesus), was a moabite. So in a way the Old Testament would be saying that king David is a descendant of a product of incest if this was simply fabricated propaganda.

As i mentioned a few replies ago, the Old Testament is remarkable in that it often makes the Israelites look bad. Since it is not disputed that it predates both Christianity and Jesus, it is unlikely that there would be any motivation for the Israelites to write something that makes them look bad.

1 Samuel 15
2Thus saith the LORD of hosts, I remember that which Amalek did to Israel, how he laid wait for him in the way, when he came up from Egypt. 3Now go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and spare them not; but slay both man and woman, infant and suckling, ox and sheep, camel and ass

Deutoronomy 20
16But of the cities of these people, which the LORD thy God doth give thee for an inheritance, thou shalt save alive nothing that breatheth: 17But thou shalt utterly destroy them; namely, the Hittites, and the Amorites, the Canaanites, and the Perizzites, the Hivites, and the Jebusites; as the LORD thy God hath commanded thee: 18That they teach you not to do after all their abominations, which they have done unto their gods; so should ye sin against the LORD your God.

I will also add that the ancient Israelites did NOT obey God's command to the letter and people from many of these groups appear in the biblical narrative at later dates.

Ruth 1
4And they took them wives of the women of Moab; the name of the one was Orpah, and the name of the other Ruth: and they dwelled there about ten

Ruth 4
13So Boaz took Ruth, and she was his wife: and when he went in unto her, the LORD gave her conception, and she bare a son
21And Salmon begat Boaz, and Boaz begat Obed, 22And Obed begat Jesse, and Jesse begat David.

Furthermore, Ruth, an ancestor of king David ** (and thus, Jesus), was a moabite. So in a way the Old Testament would be saying that king David is a descendant of a product of incest if this was simply fabricated propaganda.
I originally planned on going in chronological order throught the Bible as i compare and comtrast the biblical account with the Quran, in order to maintain some semblance of order or organization, but since we're jumping around all over the place im genuinely curious now what the Quran has to say about David...

Unlike Lot and Adam, David has much written about him in the Bible, so i'll focus mostly on the stories listed about David on this site
and compare them with the Bible.

The biblical account of David slaying Goliath is found in 1 Samuel 17

Here is the whole chapter for reference.

1Now the Philistines gathered together their armies to battle, and were gathered together at Shochoh, which belongeth to Judah, and pitched between Shochoh and Azekah, in Ephesdammim. 2And Saul and the men of Israel were gathered together, and pitched by the valley of Elah, and set the battle in array against the Philistines. 3And the Philistines stood on a mountain on the one side, and Israel stood on a mountain on the other side: and there was a valley between them.

4And there went out a champion out of the camp of the Philistines, named Goliath, of Gath, whose height was six cubits and a span. 5And he had an helmet of brass upon his head, and he was armed with a coat of mail; and the weight of the coat was five thousand shekels of brass. 6And he had greaves of brass upon his legs, and a target of brass between his shoulders. 7And the staff of his spear was like a weaver's beam; and his spear's head weighed six hundred shekels of iron: and one bearing a shield went before him.

8And he stood and cried unto the armies of Israel, and said unto them, Why are ye come out to set your battle in array? am not I a Philistine, and ye servants to Saul? choose you a man for you, and let him come down to me. 9If he be able to fight with me, and to kill me, then will we be your servants: but if I prevail against him, and kill him, then shall ye be our servants, and serve us. 10And the Philistine said, I defy the armies of Israel this day; give me a man, that we may fight together. 11When Saul and all Israel heard those words of the Philistine, they were dismayed, and greatly afraid.

12Now David was the son of that Ephrathite of Bethlehemjudah, whose name was Jesse; and he had eight sons: and the man went among men for an old man in the days of Saul. 13And the three eldest sons of Jesse went and followed Saul to the battle: and the names of his three sons that went to the battle were Eliab the firstborn, and next unto him Abinadab, and the third Shammah. 14And David was the youngest: and the three eldest followed Saul. 15But David went and returned from Saul to feed his father's sheep at Bethlehem. 16And the Philistine drew near morning and evening, and presented himself forty days.

17And Jesse said unto David his son, Take now for thy brethren an ephah of this parched corn, and these ten loaves, and run to the camp to thy brethren; 18And carry these ten cheeses unto the captain of their thousand, and look how thy brethren fare, and take their pledge. 19Now Saul, and they, and all the men of Israel, were in the valley of Elah, fighting with the Philistines.

20And David rose up early in the morning, and left the sheep with a keeper, and took, and went, as Jesse had commanded him; and he came to the trench, as the host was going forth to the fight, and shouted for the battle. 21For Israel and the Philistines had put the battle in array, army against army. 22And David left his carriage in the hand of the keeper of the carriage, and ran into the army, and came and saluted his brethren. 23And as he talked with them, behold, there came up the champion, the Philistine of Gath, Goliath by name, out of the armies of the Philistines, and spake according to the same words: and David heard them.

24And all the men of Israel, when they saw the man, fled from him, and were sore afraid. 25And the men of Israel said, Have ye seen this man that is come up? surely to defy Israel is he come up: and it shall be, that the man who killeth him, the king will enrich him with great riches, and will give him his daughter, and make his father's house free in Israel.

26And David spake to the men that stood by him, saying, What shall be done to the man that killeth this Philistine, and taketh away the reproach from Israel? for who is this uncircumcised Philistine, that he should defy the armies of the living God? 27And the people answered him after this manner, saying, So shall it be done to the man that killeth him.

28And Eliab his eldest brother heard when he spake unto the men; and Eliab's anger was kindled against David, and he said, Why camest thou down hither? and with whom hast thou left those few sheep in the wilderness? I know thy pride, and the naughtiness of thine heart; for thou art come down that thou mightest see the battle. 29And David said, What have I now done? Is there not a cause? 30And he turned from him toward another, and spake after the same manner: and the people answered him again after the former manner.

31And when the words were heard which David spake, they rehearsed them before Saul: and he sent for him. 32And David said to Saul, Let no man's heart fail because of him; thy servant will go and fight with this Philistine. 33And Saul said to David, Thou art not able to go against this Philistine to fight with him: for thou art but a youth, and he a man of war from his youth. 34And David said unto Saul, Thy servant kept his father's sheep, and there came a lion, and a bear, and took a lamb out of the flock: 35And I went out after him, and smote him, and delivered it out of his mouth: and when he arose against me, I caught him by his beard, and smote him, and slew him. 36Thy servant slew both the lion and the bear: and this uncircumcised Philistine shall be as one of them, seeing he hath defied the armies of the living God. 37David said moreover, The LORD that delivered me out of the paw of the lion, and out of the paw of the bear, he will deliver me out of the hand of this Philistine. And Saul said unto David, Go, and the LORD be with thee.

38And Saul armed David with his armour, and he put an helmet of brass upon his head; also he armed him with a coat of mail. 39And David girded his sword upon his armour, and he assayed to go; for he had not proved it. And David said unto Saul, I cannot go with these; for I have not proved them. And David put them off him. 40And he took his staff in his hand, and chose him five smooth stones out of the brook, and put them in a shepherd's bag which he had, even in a scrip; and his sling was in his hand: and he drew near to the Philistine.

41And the Philistine came on and drew near unto David; and the man that bare the shield went before him. 42And when the Philistine looked about, and saw David, he disdained him: for he was but a youth, and ruddy, and of a fair countenance. 43And the Philistine said unto David, Am I a dog, that thou comest to me with staves? And the Philistine cursed David by his gods. 44And the Philistine said to David, Come to me, and I will give thy flesh unto the fowls of the air, and to the beasts of the field. 45Then said David to the Philistine, Thou comest to me with a sword, and with a spear, and with a shield: but I come to thee in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom thou hast defied. 46This day will the LORD deliver thee into mine hand; and I will smite thee, and take thine head from thee; and I will give the carcases of the host of the Philistines this day unto the fowls of the air, and to the wild beasts of the earth; that all the earth may know that there is a God in Israel. 47And all this assembly shall know that the LORD saveth not with sword and spear: for the battle is the LORD'S, and he will give you into our hands.

48And it came to pass, when the Philistine arose, and came and drew nigh to meet David, that David hasted, and ran toward the army to meet the Philistine. 49And David put his hand in his bag, and took thence a stone, and slang it, and smote the Philistine in his forehead, that the stone sunk into his forehead; and he fell upon his face to the earth.

50So David prevailed over the Philistine with a sling and with a stone, and smote the Philistine, and slew him; but there was no sword in the hand of David. 51Therefore David ran, and stood upon the Philistine, and took his sword, and drew it out of the sheath thereof, and slew him, and cut off his head therewith. And when the Philistines saw their champion was dead, they fled. 52And the men of Israel and of Judah arose, and shouted, and pursued the Philistines, until thou come to the valley, and to the gates of Ekron. And the wounded of the Philistines fell down by the way to Shaaraim, even unto Gath, and unto Ekron. 53And the children of Israel returned from chasing after the Philistines, and they spoiled their tents. 54And David took the head of the Philistine, and brought it to Jerusalem; but he put his armour in his tent.

55And when Saul saw David go forth against the Philistine, he said unto Abner, the captain of the host, Abner, whose son is this youth? And Abner said, As thy soul liveth, O king, I cannot tell. 56And the king said, Inquire thou whose son the stripling is. 57And as David returned from the slaughter of the Philistine, Abner took him, and brought him before Saul with the head of the Philistine in his hand. 58And Saul said to him, Whose son art thou, thou young man? And David answered, I am the son of thy servant Jesse the Bethlehemite.

According to Islam
(i'm taking all the stories from the site ive linked. I am not giving any actual verses because for some reason all the references given are about Noah, or how David is a prophet. If anyone has a link to the exact Quran verses that discuss these stories please post and i will take a look.)

- the king offered his daughter in marriage to whoever slayed the giant
Same as Bible, see verse 25

- David's 3 oldest brothers had been chosen by their father to serve in the king's army
Bible says David's 3 oldest brothers were in the army, see verse 13-14

- David had previously killed a bear and lion.
Same as the Bible, see verses 34-37

- David is given armor and a sword by Saul, it is uncomfortable
Same as Bible vs 38

- David grabs a handful of stones
The Bible specifies that it was 5 stones, vs 40. The number 5 is a common theme that pops up in the Bible, often associated with death.

- David slays goliath with a stone to the head
The Bible also says that it was in the forehead, and afterwards David cut off goliath's head, vs 49-50

So far no contradictions, but the biblical account has more details.

WHEN was David given the kingdom?

According to the Bible, the prophet Samuel had secretly anointed David king after God rejected Saul because of his disobedience.

1 Samuel 16
1And the LORD said unto Samuel, How long wilt thou mourn for Saul, seeing I have rejected him from reigning over Israel? fill thine horn with oil, and go, I will send thee to Jesse the Bethlehemite: for I have provided me a king among his sons
13Then Samuel took the horn of oil, and anointed him in the midst of his brethren: and the Spirit of the LORD came upon David from that day forward. So Samuel rose up, and went to Ramah

David was also publicly proclaimed king after uniting all the tribes after a long struggle with Saul's descendants. Saul kills himself after being wounded in battle (1 Samuel 31:4) An amalekite takes credit for his death and David has him put to death for killing God's anointed (2 Samuel 1:9-16)

2 Samuel 5
3So all the elders of Israel came to the king to Hebron; and king David made a league with them in Hebron before the LORD: and they anointed David king over Israel. 4David was thirty years old when he began to reign, and he reigned forty years. 5In Hebron he reigned over Judah seven years and six months: and in Jerusalem he reigned thirty and three years over all Israel and Judah

According to Islam:

Almighty Allah declared: So they routed them by Allah 's Leave and David killed Goliath, and Allah gave him (David) the kingdom after the death of Saul and Samuel and wisdom, and taught him of that which He willed.

Is there any more detail given elsewhere as to the circumstances of David becoming king?

Could David communicate with animals?

The Bible does not mention this.
While the Bible does mention that David played the harp to soothe Saul when an evil spirit troubled him and that he sings and dances, there is no mention of him having a sweet voice.

Accoding to Islam

David recited his scripture and glorified Allah while the mountains joined him in praise and the birds rallied around him. Almighty Allah directed: Be patient (O Muhammad) of what they say, and remember Our slave David, endued with power. Verily, he was ever oft-returning in all matters and in repentance (toward Allah.) Quran Ayah 38:17

David's sincerity was not the only factor responsible for the birds and beasts joining with him in glorifying Allah, nor was the sweetness of his voice. It was a miracle from Allah. This was not his only miracle, for
Allah also endowed him with the faculty of understanding the languages of birds and animals.

Did David fast every other day?

The Bible only mentions David fasting after the deaths of Saul and Jonathan, and when his child with Bathsheba is ill and about to die.

2 Samuel 1
11Then David took hold on his clothes, and rent them; and likewise all the men that were with him: 12And they mourned, and wept, and fasted until even, for Saul, and for Jonathan his son, and for the people of the LORD, and for the house of Israel; because they were fallen by the sword

2 Samuel 12
13And David said unto Nathan, I have sinned against the LORD. And Nathan said unto David, The LORD also hath put away thy sin; thou shalt not die. 14Howbeit, because by this deed thou hast given great occasion to the enemies of the LORD to blaspheme, the child also that is born unto thee shall surely die. 15And Nathan departed unto his house. And the LORD struck the child that Uriah's wife bare unto David, and it was very sick. 16David therefore besought God for the child; and David fasted, and went in, and lay all night upon the earth. 17And the elders of his house arose, and went to him, to raise him up from the earth: but he would not, neither did he eat bread with them

According to Islam

David fasted every other day. 'Abdullah Ibn Amr Ibn Al-As narrated: "Allah's Apostle said to me: 'The most beloved fasting to Allah was the fasting of (the Prophet) David, who used to fast alternate days. And the most beloved prayer to Allah was the prayer of David, who used to sleep for (the first) half of the night and pray for one third of it and (again) sleep for a sixth of it."

Abdullah Ibn Amr Ibn Al-As also narrated: 'The Prophet said to me: 'I have been informed that you pray all the nights and observe fast all the days; is this true?' I replied: 'Yes.' He said: 'If you do so, your eyes will be weak and you will get bored. So fast three days a month, for this will be the fasting of a whole year. (Or equal to the fasting of a whole year).' I said: 'I find myself able to fast more.' He said: 'Then fast like the fasting of (the Prophet) David who used to fast on alternate days and would not flee on facing the enemy."

Could David melt iron with his hands?

There is no mention in the Bible of David doing this.

According to Islam:

Allah granted David great influence. His people had a great number of wars in their time, but they had a problem in that the iron armor was too heavy for the fighter to move and fight as he wished. It is said that David was sitting one day, contemplating this problem while toying with a piece of iron. Suddenly, he found his hand sinking in the iron. Almighty Allah had made it flexible for him: And We made the iron soft for him. Quran Ayah 34:10

Is there any more detail given elsewhere as to the circumstances of David becoming king
Ok, i found a little bit more information

Time passed and Saul was killed in a battle in which David did not take part.

David succeeded Saul, for the people remembered what he had done for them and elected him king. So it was that David the Prophet was also a king.

Allah strengthened the dominion of David and made him victorious. His kingdom was strong and great; his enemies feared him without engaging in war with him.

What the Bible says:
- David was not involved in the battle during which Saul died. Saul threw himself on his sword to evade capture after being wounded. 1 Samuel 31:3-4

- There was civil war after Saul's death. David is anointed king of Judah, but ishbosheth Saul's son is king of Israel. It is not until much war and ishbosheth's death that David is crowned king of all Israel.

2 Samuel 2
And the men of Judah came, and there they anointed David king over the house of Judah
8But Abner the son of Ner, captain of Saul's host, took Ishbosheth the son of Saul, and brought him over to Mahanaim; 9And made him king over Gilead, and over the Ashurites, and over Jezreel, and over Ephraim, and over Benjamin, and over all Israel. 10Ishbosheth Saul's son was forty years old when he began to reign over Israel, and reigned two years. But the house of Judah followed David. 11And the time that David was king in Hebron over the house of Judah was seven years and six months

2 Samuel 3
1Now there was long war between the house of Saul and the house of David: but David waxed stronger and stronger, and the house of Saul waxed weaker and weaker

2 Samuel 5
3So all the elders of Israel came to the king to Hebron; and king David made a league with them in Hebron before the LORD: and they anointed David king over Israel. 4David was thirty years old when he began to reign, and he reigned forty years. 5In Hebron he reigned over Judah seven years and six months: and in Jerusalem he reigned thirty and three years over all Israel and Judah

- there was constant civil war and conflict during David's reign. There were multiple attempts to overthrow him, including by his own son.

Rather than give Bible verses without context, or copy pasting entire books of the Bible, i'll leave this link