Coronavirus

justjess

Superstar
I had no idea the situation was that bad in NY...it hasn't been covered here at all...I wonder why some places have such a high rate of spread...

On Friday, New York mayor Bill de Blasio said: ‘We constitute 30 percent of the cases in the US and 70 per cent of the cases in New York State. Whether we like it or not, we are the epicenter.’

I'm not even sure what to make of it...why isn't this being prioritised by Trump? I heard him say he wants to return to normalcy in a few weeks...how?? If there are still issues with ventilators and testing procedures...

We have a shortage of ventilators too and our exit from The EU hasn't helped us in sourcing them...
NYC is very densely populated. A lot of international travelers and a lot of people who travel internationally. It’s hard to contain a virus in densely packed places and NY government waited to long to shut things down. Idk why, the mayor and the governor had been quibbling about it for a week before the governor finally shut things down. (Deblasio was asking for it longer). But on top of that NY’ers aren’t listening. Like, at all. I think it’s part of that NY attitude or something.. or denial I’m not sure. I’m having a hard time with my NY husband myself.

Trump does not care what happens NY, despite it being his home. NY’ers aren’t his voting block.

Haich

Superstar
Hm so he only cares about his voting block...nothing shocking about that (!)

@justjess please just try and make sure that your family there follow guidelines...idk why people aren't taking heed...I think Londoners are similar to New Yorkers in that we take a lot of persuading and force to accept what we need to do in times like this...

People here are still ignoring the lockdown and police numbers are so low that they aren't able to police properly.

I've never been a believer of the narratives spun by government but atm whatever this virus is and how it came about shouldn't be our main concern....stay safe people and only go out for necessities.

Lisa

Superstar
They can close down some things..but others...not so much...too many people like death...but not their own.
Planned Parenthood: Abortions ‘Business as Usual’ During Coronavirus

Lisa

Superstar
Will he or won’t he? Sounds like people are ignoring the order to self isolate anyway...might as well go back to work?
I WILL defy the doctors says Donald Trump claiming 'our people want to return to work' and 'seniors will be watched over' despite medical experts warning his back to business plan could kill MILLIONS

but we have to know...he’s taking an awful risk...
America could overtake Italy and become the new coronavirus epicenter after 'very large acceleration' in infections and 100 deaths in a day, warns WHO, as Trump ignores threat and vows to 'reopen' US

Thunderian

Superstar
People are assholes, and the present situation isn’t helping. Yesterday, a friend of my wife’s, a single mom with two kids who has already been hit hard because her work hours were cut a month ago, went grocery shopping for the first time in almost a month. She loaded up her cart, because she was out of everything, but she didn’t have multiples of anything. It was a big grocery run, but not hoarding by any means. Customers in the store were giving her dirty looks, one said something about “stupid hoarders”, but the last straw came when she grabbed a jug of milk that happened to be the last one. A woman beside her asked an employee if there was any more milk, and the employee said, looking at my wife’s friend, “There would be, if some people didn’t buy so much at a time.” She had ONE jug in her cart. She left the store, left the full cart behind, and went and sat in her car and cried.

I’m seeing a lot of shaming on social media and on local Reddit, and some of it is warranted, but if people can’t tell the difference a mom stocking up on groceries, and some jackass buying 20 jugs of milk because he’s an idiot, they deserve to get sick.

Lisa

Superstar
People are assholes, and the present situation isn’t helping. Yesterday, a friend of my wife’s, a single mom with two kids who has already been hit hard because her work hours were cut a month ago, went grocery shopping for the first time in almost a month. She loaded up her cart, because she was out of everything, but she didn’t have multiples of anything. It was a big grocery run, but not hoarding by any means. Customers in the store were giving her dirty looks, one said something about “stupid hoarders”, but the last straw came when she grabbed a jug of milk that happened to be the last one. A woman beside her asked an employee if there was any more milk, and the employee said, looking at my wife’s friend, “There would be, if some people didn’t buy so much at a time.” She had ONE jug in her cart. She left the store, left the full cart behind, and went and sat in her car and cried.

I’m seeing a lot of shaming on social media and on local Reddit, and some of it is warranted, but if people can’t tell the difference a mom stocking up on groceries, and some jackass buying 20 jugs of milk because he’s an idiot, they deserve to get sick.
Did she go to another store and get what she needed?

Haich

Superstar

I don't think anyone deserves to get sick but your point is taken...

She shouldn't have left her groceries though!

Aero

Superstar
Businesses shouldn't have to suffer because people act stupid.

Wash your damn hands. Don't cough into the open air, and don't stand on top of each other. All of that together should be plenty to stop the spread of this pandemic. Now we got people ratting each other out over public gatherings? Like the cops can actually enforce these draconian measures? LOL, please.

Yes, let's go bog down the court system with a bunch of frivolous misdemeanor charges. I'm sure that's going to help stop a pandemic. Like sorry guys, you can't publicly gather so we are going to arrest you and put you into another public gathering. America baby!

UnderAlienControl

Superstar

Last edited:

justjess

Superstar
Businesses shouldn't have to suffer because people act stupid.

Wash your damn hands. Don't cough into the open air, and don't stand on top of each other. All of that together should be plenty to stop the spread of this pandemic. Now we got people ratting each other out over public gatherings? Like the cops can actually enforce these draconian measures? LOL, please.

Yes, let's go bog down the court system with a bunch of frivolous misdemeanor charges. I'm sure that's going to help stop a pandemic. Like sorry guys, you can't publicly gather so we are going to arrest you and put you into another public gathering. America baby!
Well.. your right.

But personally as a business owner I was shutting down my business temporarily even before they mandated me to. No point throwing money into advert/marketing right now when people are wholly consumed by this disease and what it’s doing to their lives, so many potential customers lost their own income etc.

Whether or not they “open” back up the economy all these factors are still going to be there hurting businesses. Badly. Better to pull back temporarily and wait and see how the wind blows in the future..

Lisa

Superstar
Aren’t they kind..

Catholic Church forgives the sins of worshippers affected by coronavirus

The Catholic Church has today granted forgiveness - under certain conditions - for the sins of the faithful struck by coronavirus.

Relatives who care for their sick family members may also be forgiven.

The conditions include the sick saying a certain number of prayers or following important celebrations from a distance.

Those who pray for the caregivers' wellbeing must also read the Bible 'for at least half an hour'.

manama

Star
Well, well, well. Who knew you espoused these kinds of beliefs? It reminds me of....uh.........nevermind.
What kind of lesson, do you think, people who are selfish enough to hoard basic life necessity a million times more than they need for YEARS just out of sheer selfishness and ignorance, will teach their children?
Alot of people do not deserve to have children because they are awful people who will destroy whatever child they are raising. Thats the truth in life, get over it.

this is terrifying me, these arent police they are soldiers, they remind me of the nazi's combined with 1984 and the handmaidens tale, people are being brainwashed into thinking they need this

justjess

Superstar
What kind of lesson, do you think, people who are selfish enough to hoard basic life necessity a million times more than they need for YEARS just out of sheer selfishness and ignorance, will teach their children?
Alot of people do not deserve to have children because they are awful people who will destroy whatever child they are raising. Thats the truth in life, get over it.
Have you ran out of toilet paper?

manama

Star
Have you ran out of toilet paper?
Nope. Nobody is hoarding anything here and that includes food. Plus there are strict rules in place against hoarding in panic times. In the last 15 days we've gotten groceries once and there is enough going around.

The only thing markets here have seen a shortage of is hand sanitizer but funnily enough most of the sanitizers sold out were "anti-bacterial" so it doesn't really make a difference.