Why do people like the idea of vengeance/punishment/retribution?

SeekerofTruth

Rookie
I can't recall a time I lashed out in anger and didn't regret it. Anger is a great evil, yet I'm expected to believe a perfect being is going to be so full of wrath an angry god will torture the majority of the human race for all eternity? Why would anyone want to think that? If God is perfect, then God could never get angry.

Maes17

Superstar
Idk. Maybe some of us are just crazy in the head.
I have a psycho neighbor. She doesn’t mess with us anymore after a few revenge tours myself.

Guess we’re just crazy

Alanantic

Star
I can't recall a time I lashed out in anger and didn't regret it. Anger is a great evil, yet I'm expected to believe a perfect being is going to be so full of wrath an angry god will torture the majority of the human race for all eternity? Why would anyone want to think that? If God is perfect, then God could never get angry.
In my old age, I tend to rely more on sarcasm, snarkiness, and snide remarks. If only God was so old...

Daze

Superstar
Why do you think anger would not apply to the Almighty? Better yet, why would he be angry?

It is not a difficult question, look at how many disobey. A few examples.. Take a look at the wasted mountains of food while a billion go to bed hungry. Look at how many take advantage of orphans, consuming their wealth. We live in an age where no sex before marriage is kinda a joke, but do you think this rule has changed? Is God somehow ok with fornication today when he condemned it yesterday?

There are many examples as the modern world is absolutely full of evil and corruption. From stealing a senior citizens home because they owe $10 in taxes to raping little kids.

How can you expect the Most High not to be angry?

It is said on the last day the Almighty will be so angry even the prophets will be scared. Look around you as there is plenty of reason for him to be. Justice is coming, like it or not.

Obviously nothing within the creation can be compared with the Almighty.
Far as we the creation are concerned, it is best to control our anger. Even when we are wronged.
Even when anger is warranted, it is best to forgive and forget.

2.jpg

1.jpg

I'm sure we have all had issues with anger,some worse then others. Those who have know how it eats away at you.

3.jpg

Alanantic

Star
Rage and hatred, violence, releases endorphins.
"Sirs, if you buy this weapon, I guarantee it'll harden the dick of the most confident general!" "I'd like to see that!" "? Just get on with the demonstration. We'll decide who's dick gets hard."
And the eternal drama continues from sticks & stones to lasers in space...all driven by our primate hormones. :p Or, Satan, if that's easier to understand.

Michi

Established
I never met anyone who likes anger but I respect God.

I wish I had family or friends who got angry with me when I was f#&*ing up, bothering to set consequences. At least they would have cared enough to show me I was destroying everything.

God is long suffering, puts up with all the petulant children who mock everything and give nothing.

Jesus teaches grace, what is lacking in humanity. To get from “I want this for me now” to bearing with each other and self-sacrifice is difficult, but that’s God’s plan for those who are willing to try.

There is no hell. Only oblivion for those who don’t seek eternal life and do what is required to find it. God gets angry but he is not cruel. Vengeance is reserved for our common enemy. The ones who lead his people astray. The same ones VC talks about on his site. For everyone else there is a choice.

Yes sometimes, like when I flip through VC’s horrifying pics of the month, I wish God would come and get rid of this insanity.

But he waits patiently for those who seek to understand and live according to his perfect teachings. He’s waiting patiently for you and I to lay aside our pettiness, our animal nature, and selfishness and go towards him. That’s really the gist of it. And thank God he waits because we need more time.

Alanantic

Star
Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.
Marcus Aurelius
Love that guy! That's one of my favorite quotes. I just started "Meditations". I found a pdf online. :)

Aero

Superstar
Some people do have what I call a punishment fetish. But my argument is that vengeance/punishment/retribution only seem attractive when there is a lack of true justice. In other words, if we had a real justice system that wasn't run by glorified monkey's most people would rarely ever feel the need for angry retribution.

SomeNOBODY0

Rookie
It’s about time we try something new. Retributive justice doesn’t work as evidenced by 6k years of human civilization.

We’re all just glorified monkeys.
With all due respect, when you have something taken from you that you can never EVER get back thanks to might makes right, greedy powerlust, you may think differently. I used to think like you, but I have had horrible things done to me simply because people want to and nothing stopped them. If there is no judgement, no justice, and they aren't sorry (they aren't), then the only problem in this equation is me, the one acted against. Without justice, thus it goes for every single person wronged in history. I sympathize with the victims nowadays, and have every expectation of vengeance, and it's not like people couldn't repent if they actually cared to. You can't truly forgive somebody who isn't sorry, it only enables them to do it again, so it isn't forgiveness.

Aero

Superstar
It’s about time we try something new. Retributive justice doesn’t work as evidenced by 6k years of human civilization.

We’re all just glorified monkeys.
I agree. I've always taken a firm stance against punishment rituals. Some cultures literally and legally torture their citizens as punishment. And even that doesn't work as a deterrent.

Also, on the surface, we are all glorified monkeys. But we should strive to be better than what we are on the surface.

Alanantic

Star
Some people do have what I call a punishment fetish. But my argument is that vengeance/punishment/retribution only seem attractive when there is a lack of true justice. In other words, if we had a real justice system that wasn't run by glorified monkey's most people would rarely ever feel the need for angry retribution.
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. " -- Thomas Jefferson in 1787

Alanantic

Star
Stoicism is a timeless way of life.
Since the pandemic started, Stoicism seems to becoming quite popular. There's a ton of videos on Youtube, now. I sure got into it after covid put me in bed for 8 months, including a week in the hospital for a collapsed lung. Got a free ride in a helicopter, though! I did see the bill. The VA shelled out $79,000!

Aero

Superstar
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. " -- Thomas Jefferson in 1787
"It is not the critic who counts. ... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly ... who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt

Alanantic

Star
"It is not the critic who counts. ... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly ... who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt
OOH! Good one! Saving that.

Lyfe

Star
So your idea of a perfect God is a God that is completely indifferent?

Nikōn

Veteran
So your idea of a perfect God is a God that is completely indifferent?
My guess is that they likely believe in the nihilistic monist-monadic-nondual view of God, which is not really "God" at all (at least in any meaningful sense other than being a stand in of "that transcendent ultimate reality"). Their type of ontology and eschatology is generally cyclical and is ultimately lax about both meaning and consequence within manifest existence ('Creation' to us Abrahamics, but for instances what the Dharmics would call 'Samsara').
Despite what they say, their "God" is a dumb, ignorant, sleepy "nothingness" which, when it comes down to it, validates rejection of morality.

Alanantic

Star
My guess is that they likely believe in the nihilistic monist-monadic-nondual view of God, which is not really "God" at all (at least in any meaningful sense other than being a stand in of "that transcendent ultimate reality"). Their type of ontology and eschatology is generally cyclical and is ultimately lax about both meaning and consequence within manifest existence ('Creation' to us Abrahamics, but for instances what the Dharmics would call 'Samsara').
Despite what they say, their "God" is a dumb, ignorant, sleepy "nothingness" which, when it comes down to it, validates rejection of morality.
"Just as when you are half awake and can see a dream, and know you are dreaming, and yet are apart from it, that is how God feels this universe. On one side he is awake, and on another side he is dreaming this universe. And that is how you should look upon this world. Then you will know why he created it, and will not ascribe these dream conditions to your soul. If you pass through a nightmare, you know that is no more than a bad dream. If you can live in the world in that consciousness, you will not suffer.
You won't mind then, because you will know you are dreaming. Do not pay undue attention to the passing scenes of life. You are the immortal Self (Consciousness) living only temporarily in a dream that is sometimes (imagined) to be a nightmare. That is the higher philosophy (and truth) of the mystics." -- Yogananda

"It is Knowledge that is wanted and nothing short of it. Knowledge consists in the conviction that Brahman(God) is the only reality, that everything is Brahman, that nothing other than Brahman can exist, that Brahman is the very Self of all.” -- Moksha Gita