why Christians reject Roman Catholic church

JoChris

Superstar
Preaching to the choir. Or do you think that’s not what I or Catholics do?
You are good at evasion. Ultimately it does not matter what any human thinks: what does GOD think about your position?

You are accountable to God for your words after all.

JoChris

Superstar
The catholic church made the Bible. Theres also no where in the Bible that says the Christian doctrine is scripture alone, that doesn't stop Protestants from repeating that phrase ad nauseum.
The phrase faith alone is in the Bible however, when James says "not by faith alone"
1670032256956.png
Again, the Catholic church of the 4th century was a DIFFERENT church to the one it is today. If a false teacher teaching circumcision + faith = salvation was enough for the apostle Paul to declare to the Galatian church that that teacher was accursed, the RCC would have been cursed from 431 AD onwards.

Timeline of doctrine changes Proclaiming the gospel - [Catholic church] tradition section:

Year Tradition
431 Proclamation that infant baptism regenerates the soul.
500 The Mass instituted as re-sacrifice of Jesus for the remission of sin
593 Declaration that sin need to be purged, established by Pope Gregory I
600 Prayers directed to Mary, dead saints, and angels.
786 Worship of cross, images, and relics authorized.
995 Canonization of dead people as saints initiated by Pope John XV.
1000 Attendance at Mass made mandatory under the penalty of mortal sin.
1079 Celibacy of priesthood, decreed by Pope Gregory VII.
1090 Rosary, repetitious praying with beads, invented by Peter the Hermit.
1184 The Inquisitions, instituted by the Council of Verona.
1190 The sale of Indulgences established to reduce time in Purgatory.
1215 Transubstantiation, proclaimed by Pope Innocent III.
1215 Confession of sin to priests, instituted by Pope Innocent III.
1229 Bible placed on Index of Forbidden Books in Toulouse.
1438 Purgatory elevated from doctrine to dogma by Council of Florence.
1545 Tradition claimed equal in authority with the Bible by the Council of Trent.
1546 Apocryphal Books declared canon by Council of Trent.
1854 Immaculate Conception of Mary, proclaimed by Pope Pius IX.
1870 Infallibility of the Pope, proclaimed by Vatican Council.
1922 Virgin Mary proclaimed co-redeemer with Jesus by Pope Benedict XV.
1950 Assumption of Virgin Mary into heaven, proclaimed by Pope Pius XII.

JoChris

Superstar
Interesting that Protestants chose to go with 66 books, out of all numbers.

Regardless, are you claiming that the Protestant denominations are closer to 4th century Christianity?
How about you read compare Protestant/ Baptist doctrines and Roman Catholic church doctrines to the bible and see for yourself?

1670033059609.png

1670033285362.png

Last edited:
View attachment 82909
Again, the Catholic church of the 4th century was a DIFFERENT church to the one it is today. If a false teacher teaching circumcision + faith = salvation was enough for the apostle Paul to declare to the Galatian church that that teacher was accursed, the RCC would have been cursed from 431 AD onwards.

Timeline of doctrine changes Proclaiming the gospel - [Catholic church] tradition section:

Year Tradition
1545 Tradition claimed equal in authority with the Bible by the Council of Trent.
I don’t know about the whole history of all this but I believe my point stands. Protestents believe faith in Christ alone gives justification, which Catholics all have by definition. They cannot be condemned in that system for other alleged errors such as these, or for stylistic ones like building nice churches that protestants don’t like. It doesn’t matter if they have faith in Christ and also take a food blessed by a priest etc.

free2018

Star
Unlike Roman Catholics like to tell us, the RC teaches a great deal that is UNbiblical.
No mention of purgatory in 66 books of bible.
Excessive honour to Mary and saints.
Works righteousness.
Multiple extra biblical teachings and traditions.
No knowledge of the Gospel.

That is the tip of the iceberg.
P.S. I am an ex Catholic brought up old school, with nuns for teachers and all.
I hear you, but the other denominations are not superior in my experience. Lots of adulterers, sodomites and pedoes hiding out in the other denominations-- as well.

If I go to church, I go to a Catholic church. Otherwise, I just don't go.
I usually don't go, but the only denomination that works is a Christian and 'is Bible.

then why did Paul write to both Timothy and Titus that a bishop is to be the husband of one wife?

1 Timothy 3:2

1This is a true saying, If a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work. 2A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach; 3Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous; 4One that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity; 5(For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?)

Titus 1:6-7
6If any be blameless, the husband of one wife, having faithful children not accused of riot or unruly. 7For a bishop must be blameless, as the steward of God; not selfwilled, not soon angry, not given to wine, no striker, not given to filthy lucre; 8But a lover of hospitality, a lover of good men, sober, just, holy, temperate; 9Holding fast the faithful word as he hath been taught, that he may be able by sound doctrine both to exhort and to convince the gainsayers.

I read your link. It selectively ignores the scriptures i just mentioned, instead focusing on "oh no! Celibacy is so hard!"

Alanantic

Star
You still listening to Buffalo Springfield?
Yeah, but nowadays Clancy can't even sing...
People argue over the most minor things, here. To suggest a Catholic isn't Christian is silly. People are who they think they are. How about Lutherans? Baptists? Are all Jews going to hell? Mormons believe in Jesus. Do they go to the same heaven or a different one? All these ideas just create division...you know...like Satan does!

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
Yeah, but nowadays Clancy can't even sing...
People argue over the most minor things, here. To suggest a Catholic isn't Christian is silly. People are who they think they are. How about Lutherans? Baptists? Are all Jews going to hell? Mormons believe in Jesus. Do they go to the same heaven or a different one? All these ideas just create division...you know...like Satan does!
Jesus said “I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

This was either true or false, and has massive implications either way.

Jesus knows who truly looks to Him and who rejects the cross. I believe anyone reading this will be drawn to His words or repelled by them. This is as it was intended…

“[34] Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. [35] For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.”​

Matthew 10​

phipps

Star
View attachment 82909

Year Tradition
All these traditions you've posted are indeed wrong and most Protestants can tell they are wrong because they are unbiblical. They do not harmonise with the Word of God. A lot of them were brought in from paganism as has been mentioned.

You forgot to mention some traditions though. Unfortunately these traditions are also kept and observed by most Protestants. Christmas, Easter and Sunday worship.

The Scriptures tell us that the Sabbath is to be observed on the seventh day, which is Saturday. However, the majority of Protestantism today observes Sunday instead of the true Sabbath of God. This tradition was brought in by Catholicism too. The Catholic Church take full responsibility for this.

Our Sunday Visitor (February 5, 1950):
"Practically everything Protestants regard as essential or important they have received from the Catholic Church... The Protestant mind does not seem to realize that in accepting the Bible and observing the Sunday, in keeping Christmas and Easter, they are accepting the authority of the spokesman for the church, the Pope."

Louis Gaston Segur, Plain Talk about the Protestantism of To-Day (London: Thomas Richardson and Son, 1874): 213:
"Thus the observance of Sunday by the Protestants is a homage they pay, in spite of themselves, to the authority of the (Catholic) Church."

The Convert's Catechism of Catholic Doctrine (1957): 50:
"Q. Which is the Sabbath day?
A. Saturday is the Sabbath day.
Q. Why Do we observe Sunday instead of Saturday?
A. We observe Sunday instead of Saturday because the Catholic Church transferred the solemnity from Saturday to Sunday."

Chancellor Albert Smith for Cardinal of Baltimore Archdiocese, letter dated February 10, 1920:
"If Protestants would follow the Bible, they should worship God on the Sabbath day by God is Saturday. In keeping the Sunday, they are following a law of the Catholic Church."

Stephen Keenan, Catholic—Doctrinal Catechism 3rd Edition: 174:
"Question: Have you any other way of proving the Church has power to institute festivals of precept?

Answer: Had she not such power, she could not have done that in which all modern religionists agree with her, she could not have substituted the observance of Sunday the 1st day of the week, for the observance of Saturday the 7th day, a change for which there is no Scriptural authority."

Through the influence of Mithraism (Persian sun worship) in the Roman Empire and the heathen festival of Sunday, the pure Church of Christ gradually fell into apostasy.

This change from Saturday to Sunday Sabbath was prophesied about in Daniel 7:25, "And he shall speak great words against the most High, and shall wear out the saints of the most High, and think to change times and laws."

Catholic catechisms show that the Papacy has tried to change the law of God. The Ten Commandments have been tampered with. The Second Commandment, which refers to images and idols, is absent in Catholic literature. And to make up for the loss of one commandment, the Tenth is divided into two. The Fourth Commandment, which talks about the Sabbath, becomes the third commandment in the Catholic catechism. The day of worship is shifted by papal decree from Saturday to Sunday.

Last edited:

phipps

Star
Constantine and the Sabbath Change.

Summary: Sunday was transformed from a pagan to Christian day of worship in part due to Constantine's contributions in the fourth century AD.

Sunday actually made very little headway as a Christian day of rest until the time of Constantine in the fourth century. Constantine was emperor of Rome from AD 306 to 337. He was a sun worshiper during the first years of his reign. Later, he professed conversion to Christianity, but at heart remained a devotee of the sun. Edward Gibbon says, “The Sun was universally celebrated as the invincible guide and protector of Constantine."

Constantine created the earliest Sunday law known to history in AD 321. It says this:
"On the venerable Day of the sun let the magistrates and people residing in cities rest, and let all workshops be closed. In the country, however, persons engaged in agriculture may freely and lawfully continue their pursuits: because it often happens that another Day is not so suitable for grain sowing or for vine planting: lest by neglecting the proper moment for such operations the bounty of heaven should be lost."

Chamber’s Encyclopedia says this:
"Unquestionably the first law, either ecclesiastical or civil, by which the Sabbatical observance of that Day is known to have been ordained, is the edict of Constantine, 321 A.D."

Following this initial legislation, both emperors and Popes in succeeding centuries added other laws to strengthen Sunday observance. What began as a pagan ordinance ended as a Christian regulation. Close on the heels of the Edict of Constantine followed the Catholic Church Council of Laodicea (circa 364 AD):
"Christians shall not Judaize and be idle on Saturday (Sabbath), but shall work on that Day: but the Lord’s Day, they shall especially honour; and as being Christians, shall, if possible, do no work on that day. If however, they are found Judaizing, they shall be shut out from Christ."

Another reason for worship on Sunday is to celebrate Christ's resurrection. Is this reason valid?

Link.

A Freeman

Superstar
All these traditions You've posted about are indeed wrong and most Protestants can tell they are wrong because they are unbiblical. They do not harmonise with the Word of God. A lot of them were brought in from paganism as has been mentioned.

You forgot to mention some traditions though. Unfortunately these traditions are also kept and observed by most Protestants. Christmas, Easter and Sunday worship.

The Scriptures tell us that the Sabbath is to be observed on the seventh day, which is Saturday. However, the majority of Protestantism today observes Sunday instead of the true Sabbath of God. This tradition was brought in by Catholicism too. The Catholic Church take full responsibility for this.

Our Sunday Visitor (February 5, 1950):
"Practically everything Protestants regard as essential or important they have received from the Catholic Church... The Protestant mind does not seem to realize that in accepting the Bible and observing the Sunday, in keeping Christmas and Easter, they are accepting the authority of the spokesman for the church, the Pope."

Louis Gaston Segur, Plain Talk about the Protestantism of To-Day (London: Thomas Richardson and Son, 1874): 213:
"Thus the observance of Sunday by the Protestants is a homage they pay, in spite of themselves, to the authority of the (Catholic) Church."

The Convert's Catechism of Catholic Doctrine (1957): 50:
"Q. Which is the Sabbath day?
A. Saturday is the Sabbath day.
Q. Why Do we observe Sunday instead of Saturday?
A. We observe Sunday instead of Saturday because the Catholic Church transferred the solemnity from Saturday to Sunday."

Chancellor Albert Smith for Cardinal of Baltimore Archdiocese, letter dated February 10, 1920:
"If Protestants would follow the Bible, they should worship God on the Sabbath day by God is Saturday. In keeping the Sunday, they are following a law of the Catholic Church."

Stephen Keenan, Catholic—Doctrinal Catechism 3rd Edition: 174:
"Question: Have you any other way of proving the Church has power to institute festivals of precept?

Answer: Had she not such power, she could not have done that in which all modern religionists agree with her, she could not have substituted the observance of Sunday the 1st day of the week, for the observance of Saturday the 7th day, a change for which there is no Scriptural authority."

Through the influence of Mithraism (Persian sun worship) in the Roman Empire and the heathen festival of Sunday, the pure Church of Christ gradually fell into apostasy.

This change from Saturday to Sunday Sabbath was prophesied about in Daniel 7:25, "And he shall speak great words against the most High, and shall wear out the saints of the most High, and think to change times and laws."

Catholic catechisms show that the Papacy has tried to change the law of God. The Ten Commandments have been tampered with. The Second Commandment, which refers to images and idols, is absent in Catholic literature. And to make up for the loss of one commandment, the Tenth is divided into two. The Fourth Commandment, which talks about the Sabbath, becomes the third commandment in the Catholic catechism. The day of worship is shifted by papal decree from Saturday to Sunday.
Genesis 2:1-3
2:1 Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them.
2:2 And on the Seventh Day God ended His work which He had made; and He rested on the Seventh Day from all His work which He had made.
2:3 And God blessed the Seventh Day, and sanctified it: because that in it He had rested from all His work which God created and made.

Exodus 31:13-17
31:13 Speak thou also unto the children of Israel, saying, Verily My Sabbaths ye shall keep: for it [is] a "Sign" between Me and you throughout your generations; that [ye] may know that I [am] the "I AM" that doth sanctify you.
31:14 Ye shall keep the Sabbath therefore; for it [is] holy unto you: every one that defileth it shall surely be put to death: for whosoever doeth [any] work therein, that soul shall be cut off from among his people.
31:15 Six days may work be done; but in the seventh [is] the Sabbath of rest, holy to the "I AM": whosoever doeth [any] work in the Sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death.
31:16 Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the Sabbath, to observe the Sabbath throughout their generations, [for] a perpetual Covenant.
31:17 It [is] a "Sign" between Me and the children of Israel for ever: for [in] six days the "I AM" made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day He rested, and was refreshed.

Malachi 3:6 For I [am] the "I AM", I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed.

Lyfe

Star
The first strategy of the enemy before he invades a territory is to disarm the churches and introduce false doctrines that quench the holy spirit. We are witnessing what happens when people don't protect the scriptures and earnestly contend for the faith. If we tolerate false teachings and don't exhort one another to return to God's ways and the purity of scripture we will only reap destruction.

We cannot lean on our own understanding. Everything we say has to backed by God's word. If we speak half truths and near truths they accumulate and the end result is that someone(usually many people) get destroyed. A little leaven leavens the whole lump.

A Freeman

Superstar
Didn't Christ tell us that only heathens and hypocrites go to church?

Matthew 6:5-8
6:5 And when thou prayest, thou shalt NOT be as the hypocrites [ARE]: for they love to pray standing in the churches and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen by men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward (they have been seen by men, but God will not answer them).
6:6 But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and WHEN THOU HAST SHUT THY DOOR, pray to thy Father in private (Enoch 56:5; Sura 7:55); and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly (by answering you).
6:7 But when ye pray, use NOT vain repetitions, as the heathen [DO]: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.
6:8 Be NOT ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, BEFORE ye ask Him.

Lyfe

Star

Matthew 6:5-8
6:5 And when thou prayest, thou shalt NOT be as the hypocrites [ARE]: for they love to pray standing in the churches and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen by men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward (they have been seen by men, but God will not answer them).
6:6 But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and WHEN THOU HAST SHUT THY DOOR, pray to thy Father in private (Enoch 56:5; Sura 7:55); and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly (by answering you).
6:7 But when ye pray, use NOT vain repetitions, as the heathen [DO]: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.
6:8 Be NOT ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, BEFORE ye ask Him.
We are actually called to not forsake the assembling(book of hebrews). There is a biblical model of this, but it's not practiced or upheld today. In the book of acts the disciples would meet under a roof for the purposes of fellowship, teaching, anointing, prophecy, and prayer. There is a picture of how it should operate in both Titus and Timothy.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
39425394-6BDF-4C27-BF01-429735D2BBB2.jpeg

I have heard this explained in terms of Nazis and exercise. The Nazis were certainly keen on exercise but there is nothing intrinsically wrong with exercise, and other people can enjoy exercise without the slightest loyalty to Hitler!

A Freeman

Superstar
I have heard this explained in terms of Nazis and exercise. The Nazis were certainly keen on exercise but there is nothing intrinsically wrong with exercise, and other people can enjoy exercise without the slightest loyalty to Hitler!
You do err, not knowing the Scriptures.

King of kings' Bible - 1 Timothy 3:7-9 (1 Timothy 4:7-9 KJV)
3:7 But refuse profane and old wives' fables, and exercise thyself [rather] unto Godliness.
3:8 For bodily exercise profiteth little: but Godliness is profitable unto all things, having promise of the Life that now is, and of that which is to come.
3:9 This [is] a faithful saying and worthy of all acceptation.

Isn't this just another red herring on your part , to distract from the fact that priests, pastors, rabbis and imams were condemned by Christ (Matt. 23:8-10) as well as their evil places of business (synagogues, churches, mosques and temples, etc. - Matt. 21:13; see also Acts 7:48, 17:24)?

Last edited:

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
You do err, not knowing the Scriptures.

King of kings' Bible - 1 Timothy 3:7-9 (1 Timothy 4:7-9 KJV)
3:7 But refuse profane and old wives' fables, and exercise thyself [rather] unto Godliness.
3:8 For bodily exercise profiteth little: but Godliness is profitable unto all things, having promise of the Life that now is, and of that which is to come.
3:9 This [is] a faithful saying and worthy of all acceptation.

Isn't all of this just another red herring, to distract from the fact that church going was condemned by Christ and all of the prophets, as well as by Christ's Disciples and the Apostles?
I take it you don’t enjoy exercise??

p.s. reading commentary on this verse, I think this makes perhaps the most sense if it:

“I would say that Paul's emphasis in the cited verse was not speaking of physical training in an absolute sense, but in a comparative sense with what follows it in that verse (that is, godliness or spiritual training).
Physical exercise is beneficial for the human body in this life. However, spiritual training that prepares Christians for the eternal life in God's presence that awaits them after their temporal life on earth will be over is of far greater value, since its benefits will be endless.
This is made clear in multiple translations of this verse that can be found on the biblehub.com website. For example, the English Standard Version expresses it as, "For while bodily training is of some value, godliness is of value in every way, as it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come."

Last edited: