Wearing a Mask

justjess

Superstar
I just had to download some stupid hippa compliant app for my phone and had to change my password because Apparantly it wasn’t good enough for hippa. I shouldn’t have hippa shit on my personal phone to begin with. But yeah.. no facial is, no fingerprint, no Siri etc. no thank you. I should just chuck the phone altogether tbh but WORK.

Helioform

Star
I just searched this five different ways in pub med and it does not come up. Not even with the DOI

have you personally read this article?

I searched the title, the keywords, the doi, the authors... nada.

Not a single article from either of the first two authors, and the third author has a bunch of articles but his area of research appears to be severe depression.

I even thought maybe I can’t access that specific journal.. but the journal comes up.
I was able to find the pdf version of the first article but apparently from the look I took it was about full face masks which is not the right kind. I was not able to find the pdf for the second. I only did a 5 second Google search so don't sue me. :)

But I found this one which is about N95 masks;

You can check references [1] to [5] for the health effects.

justjess

Superstar
I finally found one of your articles after like an hour of searching (I’m stubborn) and the big takeaway was they are uncomfortable and this should be fixed so people will wear them longer. I also did a pub med general search and couldn’t find anything talking about actual potential harm from wearing them. I’ll read the other article and get back to you when I finish doing actual homework I’ve been procrastinating on.

I’m open to anything, I just haven’t seen any reason to think wearing them will be harmful. My husband works in construction and has had to wear them for long periods of time for years now with no ill effect. Same for health care workers.

Like I said, I’m open and I don’t trust anything just on face value. I just think I’d have heard of ill health effects from people in professions that have had to wear them before this became a mass issue. And I haven’t.

rainerann

Star
I don’t agree with masking the healthy and if more than 99% of the population will be virtually unaffected, not requiring treatment or hospitalization, we may have to be a bit more comprehensive in our approach.
technically, I’ve been a healthy person wearing a mask for a long time as a way of protecting myself and protecting other people with weakened immune systems. Masking a healthy person is exactly what we have been doing in a healthcare setting for a very long time. I’ve seen many people try to say that this isn’t what you should do in a situation like this, but that is what we do everyday.

I’m starting to really question some of the “experts” coming out trying to tell the public that this isn’t a way to respond to something like this because that is exactly what we do and have been doing already. There was a article talking about how a lot of opposition is being posted by bots and there is even a comment on the blog post that made me think bot.

Some of the comments trying to make it sound like they are professionals working in the field sound like chain letters. I half expect there to be a tag that says to send it to ten people after reading so that I will have good luck for the rest of the week.

there are issues with this whole process that stem from where the system existed before this started. We are a system that already profits off of chronic illness with pharmaceuticals. It is no wonder that there seems to be a priority to use this as another income stream.

you could say we have neglected improving our cleaning processes to cut costs and this has contributed to the problem to a degree as well. There are many articles floating on the site during this time about the debate over whether vaccines eradicated polio or whether improved sanitation did.

so I struggle to see so many people oppose something like this. A mask is a basic piece of equipment that is part of sanitation measures. If anything, it could almost be considered old fashioned because it has such a long standing history and maybe it is outdated to an extent, but we were also not prepared with anything more advanced.

a mask is really comparable with drinking a cup of tea for a sore throat. It is almost a folk remedy at this point. It was definitely not something created for this specific purpose that it is being considered for in our modern age. So I struggle to see it as a sign of oppression. If it is a sign of oppression, it is a sign that we have been oppressed technologically, but not as an independent device.

there are a lot of inefficiencies with this process. There was an article saying that 7.3 percent of the population in Sweden have antibodies. They have a partial lockdown and this creates an interesting opportunity to look at inefficiencies.

the virus is clearly clustering somehow, because otherwise that number would be higher in theory. So the route of transmission is still somewhat unclear. So the method of prevention is also somewhat unclear.

It is hard to say how this will be resolved or whether it will be suppressed for a while. It could be suppressed to extend a situation like this.

however, the partial lockdown in Sweden has also led to them having the highest death rate per capita with less than 10% of the population exposed. herd immunity is a long ways away and the disease process, when severe, does not sound fun. There are people that are positive for months.

so as far as I’m concerned, a mask is like a diy defense that actually gives me some opportunity for independence in the presence of a media frenzy filled with contradictions. i don’t know, there is some comfort in knowing that this device has such a long standing history and is clean of any sort of poison from our modern time.

we really do need natural medicines and improved cleaning processes to prevent something like this in the future, but people being loud about it or trying to protest wearing a mask isn’t going to solve anything. It is just going to justify some kind of third party mediation.

there have always been these old pictures that I have always looked at with admiration showing nurses wearing masks in like 1910ish around patients lying in old fashioned hospital beds. These have always been a beautiful and positive thing to reflect on, but I realize that many people don’t consider these things and it is obviously not 1910 anymore. I’m open to modern invention, but a mask is just a traditional piece of the history of healthcare, and there have been healthy people wearing them for as long as they have been in use. That’s my take on it.

Last edited:

staywideawake

Rookie
You guys do understand that any biometric data (fingerprints and Face ID) are saved directly on your device and not in the cloud or anywhere “they” can see?

DevaWolf

Veteran
I like wearing a mask. I don’t have to look like myself anymore and some ways that is liberating. It depends on the area. I guarantee I see more of the US than anyone else here. On the coasts it’s no big deal, in rural areas you get a side eye. Just observations.
I like this too. It makes me able to go around a lot more anonymous than before, when face masks were legally banned. Now face cams and such machines will have a problem with me, which is what I want.

And also, I believe the pandemic is real so I do care about trying not to expose others to the risk of contagion. I just don't believe everything the government wants because of the pandemic is OK. I think they use it as an excuse for a big brother state, which I oppose.

A.J.

Star
“Masking a healthy person is exactly what we have been doing in a healthcare setting for a very long time.“
Of course, I never disputed that. It’s not an argument I’m making. But even healthcare workers and construction workers are permitted to take it off once in a while. You are not forced at gun point out of the blue. You are trained and understand what you are doing and who you are dealing with.

Maybe governors have to do a better job caring for the vulnerable living in closed quarters than the healthy merely passing by each other in public. My son pushes carts in the parking lot of a supermarket- he has to wear a mask his whole shift?

More than half of NJ deaths were in nursing homes, including COVID+ admits & readmits from the hospitals. Worst thing is keeping the vulnerable and the positive together in large numbers the way they did...

technically, I’ve been a healthy person wearing a mask for a long time as a way of protecting myself and protecting other people with weakened immune systems. Masking a healthy person is exactly what we have been doing in a healthcare setting for a very long time. I’ve seen many people try to say that this isn’t what you should do in a situation like this, but that is what we do everyday.

I’m starting to really question some of the “experts” coming out trying to tell the public that this isn’t a way to respond to something like this because that is exactly what we do and have been doing already. There was a article talking about how a lot of opposition is being posted by bots and there is even a comment on the blog post that made me think bot.

Some of the comments trying to make it sound like they are professionals working in the field sound like chain letters. I half expect there to be a tag that says to send it to ten people after reading so that I will have good luck for the rest of the week.

there are issues with this whole process that stem from where the system existed before this started. We are a system that already profits off of chronic illness with pharmaceuticals. It is no wonder that there seems to be a priority to use this as another income stream.

you could say we have neglected improving our cleaning processes to cut costs and this has contributed to the problem to a degree as well. There are many articles floating on the site during this time about the debate over whether vaccines eradicated polio or whether improved sanitation did.

so I struggle to see so many people oppose something like this. A mask is a basic piece of equipment that is part of sanitation measures. If anything, it could almost be considered old fashioned because it has such a long standing history and maybe it is outdated to an extent, but we were also not prepared with anything more advanced.

a mask is really comparable with drinking a cup of tea for a sore throat. It is almost a folk remedy at this point. It was definitely not something created for this specific purpose that it is being considered for in our modern age. So I struggle to see it as a sign of oppression. If it is a sign of oppression, it is a sign that we have been oppressed technologically, but not as an independent device.

there are a lot of inefficiencies with this process. There was an article saying that 7.3 percent of the population in Sweden have antibodies. They have a partial lockdown and this creates an interesting opportunity to look at inefficiencies.

the virus is clearly clustering somehow, because otherwise that number would be higher in theory. So the route of transmission is still somewhat unclear. So the method of prevention is also somewhat unclear.

It is hard to say how this will be resolved or whether it will be suppressed for a while. It could be suppressed to extend a situation like this.

however, the partial lockdown in Sweden has also led to them having the highest death rate per capita with less than 10% of the population exposed. herd immunity is a long ways away and the disease process, when severe, does not sound fun. There are people that are positive for months.

so as far as I’m concerned, a mask is like a diy defense that actually gives me some opportunity for independence in the presence of a media frenzy filled with contradictions. i don’t know, there is some comfort in knowing that this device has such a long standing history and is clean of any sort of poison from our modern time.

we really do need natural medicines and improved cleaning processes to prevent something like this in the future, but people being loud about it or trying to protest wearing a mask isn’t going to solve anything. It is just going to justify some kind of third party mediation.

there have always been these old pictures that I have always looked at with admiration showing nurses wearing masks in like 1910ish around patients lying in old fashioned hospital beds. These have always been a beautiful and positive thing to reflect on, but I realize that many people don’t consider these things and it is obviously not 1910 anymore. I’m open to modern invention, but a mask is just a traditional piece of the history of healthcare, and there have been healthy people wearing them for as long as they have been in use. That’s my take on it.

A.J.

Star
I’m talking about healthy, non-infected and/or asymptomatic coming into contact with other healthy, non-infected and/or asymptomatic. I AM NOT talking about healthy people caring for the vulnerable at home or in health care settings. Please wear your mask! If you are vulnerable or have a considerable health issue, please stay home!
1590172278770.png

justjess

Superstar
“Masking a healthy person is exactly what we have been doing in a healthcare setting for a very long time.“
Of course, I never disputed that. It’s not an argument I’m making. But even healthcare workers and construction workers are permitted to take it off once in a while. You are not forced at gun point out of the blue. You are trained and understand what you are doing and who you are dealing with.

Maybe governors have to do a better job caring for the vulnerable living in closed quarters than the healthy merely passing by each other in public. My son pushes carts in the parking lot of a supermarket- he has to wear a mask his whole shift?

More than half of NJ deaths were in nursing homes, including COVID+ admits & readmits from the hospitals. Worst thing is keeping the vulnerable and the positive together in large numbers the way they did...
The nursing homes are every bit as much to blame for that mess. Agencies didn’t want to give up revenue and kept people there and claimed they could accommodate them when they couldn’t. I said from get that staff at nursing homes and residential Homes should have been made to stay on sight, the coming and going was the stupidest thing I ever heard of.

can your son wear a visor? My clients have been better able to deal with the visors then the masks. Just an idea. Maybe it will help..

I lived on the pa/nj border for a decade, on the pa side. I grew up down by great adventure though. It’s beautiful up your way, lots less crowded.

justjess

Superstar
I’m talking about healthy, non-infected and/or asymptomatic coming into contact with other healthy, non-infected and/or asymptomatic. I AM NOT talking about healthy people caring for the vulnerable at home or in health care settings. Please wear your mask! If you are vulnerable or have a considerable health issue, please stay home!
View attachment 36680
It’s not that simple. In order for me to stay home Without losing unemployment as a vulnerable person I need a note from the doctor saying I need to. Most doctors offices aren’t really open and I have no health insurance so how am I getting that letter? Especially since I haven’t had insurance for years so whatever doctor I saw would have to go through all my historical medical paperwork and probably send me for confirmatory tests that I can’t afford. The government is aware I have multiple sclerosis, still have to jump through hoops im not capable of jumping atm and can’t afford to jump in the foreseeable future.

let’s say I even find a way to do that.. do my husband and son get letters letting them stay home to because they live with me? No, they don’t. So the whole exercise is futile.

So off to work I go and that’s how you create 100k deaths, because I’m not the only one in this situation.

Last edited:

A.J.

Star
Also the general public need some mask wearing guidelines...

what type? How effective? When? Where? How long? During what activity? What ages? Will everyone tolerate? What about abuse and trauma survivors? What about the asthmatic? Etc, etc.....

A.J.

Star
It’s not that simple. In order for me to stay home Without losing unemployment as a vulnerable person I need a note from the doctor saying I need to. Most doctors offices aren’t really open and I have no health insurance so how am I getting that letter? Especially since I haven’t had insurance for years so whatever doctor I saw would have to go through all my historical medical paperwork and probably send me for confirmatory tests that I can’t afford. The government is aware I have multiple sclerosis, still have to jump through hoops im not capable of jumping atm and can’t afford to jump in the foreseeable future.

let’s say I even find a way to do that.. do my husband and son get letters letting them stay home to because they live with me? No, they don’t. So the whole exercise is futile.

So off to work I go and that’s how you create 100k deaths, because I’m not the only one in this situation.
Of course, people with health conditions who remain pretty active and functional during this pandemic should absolutely wear a mask and keep social distance from others. That should be accommodated. Not sure the middle ground. The aged, infirm and very, very vulnerable should obviously lay low and minimize their exposure as well as those who care for them.

justjess

Superstar
Also the general public need some mask wearing guidelines...

what type? How effective? When? Where? How long? During what activity? What ages? Will everyone tolerate? What about abuse and trauma survivors? What about the asthmatic? Etc, etc.....
Hasn’t Murphy already told you that? Whenever you are in a situation where you can’t stay six feet away from other people, for the length of time that you are in that situation. They said anyone over two years old, though I’ve not seen anyone harping on about children or those with developmental disabilities since obviously it’s going to be hard to get them to go along with that. My daughter rips her mask off after three minutes every time, so I just don’t bring her anywhere she needs one.

I have no idea why this would be an issue for abuse or trauma victims. As for asthmatics idk.

I understand your position and I’d be inclined to agree with you except that how things do work and how things should work are completely different animals. For every healthy person forced to wear a mask at work There’s a potentially vulnerable person not allowed to wear one. The whole situation is screwed.

A.J.

Star
The nursing homes are every bit as much to blame for that mess. Agencies didn’t want to give up revenue and kept people there and claimed they could accommodate them when they couldn’t. I said from get that staff at nursing homes and residential Homes should have been made to stay on sight, the coming and going was the stupidest thing I ever heard of.

can your son wear a visor? My clients have been better able to deal with the visors then the masks. Just an idea. Maybe it will help..

I lived on the pa/nj border for a decade, on the pa side. I grew up down by great adventure though. It’s beautiful up your way, lots less crowded.
And if the state is making capacity accommodations to care for COVID+ in hospitals, these people should not be forced out to vulnerable nursing homes while still +. The nursing homes should not be retaining and adding COVID+ individuals the way it spreads. I would think hospitals are naturally better equipped. That’s where all the resources went first and that’s all they’ve been doing.
Half the death cases? Unacceptable.

justjess

Superstar
And if the state is making capacity accommodations to care for COVID+ in hospitals, these people should not be forced out to vulnerable nursing homes while still +. The nursing homes should not be retaining and adding COVID+ individuals the way it spreads. I would think hospitals are naturally better equipped. That’s where all the resources went first and that’s all they’ve been doing.
Half the death cases? Unacceptable.
I agree with you. They shouldn’t have kept positive cases in nursing homes and the whole nursing home situation is a mess. I just can’t and won’t place all the blame on the governors for that because I know how these places work... the front line staff definately cares, but the people making the decisions only care about the bottom line. Sending them to a hospital means they lose the paycheck

Cintra

Star
Fuck the police, all cops are bastard, etc. Can’t stand how militarized they have become and how lawless they are.
Very true.
It is getting like Megacity One.
They ARE the law...

Regarding the masks.
For people who feel like they are 'sticking it to the man' by not wearing one, that is how I feel when I DO wear one. Like I am doing something they don't want me to do.
So I get where you are coming from.

Lisa

Superstar
It costs me literally nothing to wear a mask when I go somewhere that I can’t mantain a decent amount of space from others. It takes less then a second to put on and while it may be a bit annoying it isn’t causing me harm.

for the amount of effort it requires if there’s even a 1% chance it will help then I’m going to do it. That doesn’t make me a sheep and if it does so be it. I’d rather be a curteous cautious sheep then a stubborn selfish lion. This should not be so controversial and it’s absurd to me that this is the hill people are choosing to die on. But whatever. No one is holding you at gunpoint making you wear it.
Yep..That makes you a sheep.