The Noahs Ark World Wide Flood

Awoken2

Superstar
It's my thread and I am tending it to keep it on topic, as would be expected.
But that reality seems lost on certain people. (like other realities are lost on her)
I've really enjoyed reading your posts on this thread. You are obviously extremely knowledgeable and well read on the subject matter.

Despite you providing ample evidence the usual suspects turn up, diverting like Trump and deflecting like Terminator 2 but are completely unable to refute anything you've posted.

Biblestudent, Lisa, here is the definition of the word faith....

strong belief in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual conviction rather than proof

....the last three words are important for you to understand.

Unfortunately it appears to be the case that your deep level of indoctrination does not allow you to accept or process facts. That's why you get totally embarrassed when you try and engage somebody who deals with proven facts as opposed to faiytales.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
I've really enjoyed reading your posts on this thread. You are obviously extremely knowledgeable and well read on the subject matter.

Despite you providing ample evidence the usual suspects turn up, diverting like Trump and deflecting like Terminator 2 but are completely unable to refute anything you've posted.

Biblestudent, Lisa, here is the definition of the word faith....

strong belief in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual conviction rather than proof

....the last three words are important for you to understand.

Unfortunately it appears to be the case that your deep level of indoctrination does not allow you to accept or process facts. That's why you get totally embarrassed when you try and engage somebody who deals with proven facts as opposed to faiytales.
@Awoken2 - I could have easily bloated up this thread with 50 well researched studies which make a compelling, scientific case for the flood. Here they are again for anyone who cares to start delving into it themselves.

https://creation.com/topics/global-flood

DUSTY

Established
So lots of emotional off topic personal insults and drivel ... but no scientific evidence to refute the information provided. Oh ... and bible_student is having a melt down and threatening legal action because I gathered information (all available on the internet) about his cult. So he's lashing out like a wounded animal.

This is a 'conspiracy aware' type site. Digging for the truth is what people are supposed to be doing. The truth ... no matter what that truth is. The CONSPIRACY is that it is proven that there was no world wide flood, and yet there are those in the world still teaching that there was and they are holding people hostage emotionally and with guilt via religion.

Very sad.

Lisa

Superstar
So lots of emotional off topic personal insults and drivel ... but no scientific evidence to refute the information provided. Oh ... and bible_student is having a melt down and threatening legal action because I gathered information (all available on the internet) about his cult. So he's lashing out like a wounded animal.
That you are contributing to...

they are holding people hostage emotionally and with guilt via religion.
How does believing in the flood hold people hostage and with guilt? That didn’t make sense.

rainerann

Star
So this thread is long and I missed the science behind the whole all plants would die and become mulch because of toxic sea water post. If you want to refresh this and discuss it fine. I’m not going to go back and look for it and my basic understanding of the lifecycle of the forest suggests that mulch is beneficial to forest and plant life.

“The forest floor, also called detritus, duff and the O horizon, is one of the most distinctive features of a forest ecosystem. It mainly consists of shed vegetative parts, such as leaves, branches, bark, and stems, existing in various stages of decomposition above the soil surface. Although principally composed of non-living organic material, the forest floor also teems with a wide variety of fauna and flora.”
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forest_floor

Decomposition is another word for dead. Mulch protects the soil and helps it become balanced. That is why people buy mulch and put it on their top soil because it helps things grow.

In addition to this we are talking about a flood that is said to recede significantly in 150 days which is under six months. Genesis 8:3. I hardly think that is enough time to destroy the root system of plants exist within the forest and mulch actually helps the forest survive. It is basically the skin of the forest floor.

DUSTY

Established
I hardly think that is enough time to destroy the root system of plants exist within the forest and mulch actually helps the forest survive. It is basically the skin of the forest floor.
The 'mulch' would be rocks and debris hundreds of feet deep and full of toxicity. The water would be a mix of salt and fresh, a mile deep, extremely heavy, extremely cold, and toxic. Also, no sunlight and no oxygen. The information was posted. I'll bring it forward. Here's the first part.

Vegetation click here

Noah's responsibilities did not end with animals, for without plants all life would perish. Whitcomb and Morris grant that many seeds were aboard the ark in the food stores (p. 70) but quote fellow creationist Walter Lammerts to the effect that "many thousands" of plants survived either upon their own "arks" of floating debris or simply by experiencing a rather thorough watering and then sprouted again as soon as the sun came out. George Howe, too, referring to an experiment where three of five species showed germination after twenty weeks of soaking in sea water, concluded that the survival rate through dormancy would have been high (December 1968). However, two of these three sprouted only when their seed coats were scarified (cut). This presents a special problem. The abrasive force of the deluge would have easily scarified the seed coats, but this would have been too soon. The seeds would have sprouted under water and died. But after the flood waters receded and the seeds were exposed to dry land, what would guarantee their being scarified then? Howe's experiments failed to properly duplicate the conditions required by the flood model and hence his work offers no support for seed survival during the deluge.

In reality, seed dormancy is a complex affair and involves metabolic and environmental prerequisites for entrance into and recovery from the state as well as several forms of quiescence. The vast majority of seeds which become dormant do so in order to endure cold temperatures or prolonged drought, and in the warm flood waters most would germinate immediately and then drown for lack of oxygen (cf. Villiers).

The waters weren't the only thing that would bury them, however, for huge deposits of silt and lava would have been laid down as well, entombing entire forests and paving the way for coal and oil formation. Today the surface of the ground consists of 80 percent Phanerozoic rock and only 20 percent Precambrian ("pre-diluvian"), the latter found mostly in large shields and entirely absent in many areas (Kummel, p. 87). These shields themselves would have been eroded to the bedrock by the flooding ("the vegetation would have been uprooted . . . leaving no protection at all for the exposed soils"—Whitcomb and Morris, p. 261), and in the rest of the world the few seeds that may have survived would have faced the task of pushing up a sprout through thousands of feet of mud and rock.

DUSTY

Established
This discusses that the water would have been boiling hot and toxic due to the gasses released and other issues. This also would have killed the plants. The big plant killer was upfront. The water would have been falling from the sky at a rate of 6 inches PER MINUTE. 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, for 40 days. Unending. Nothing could breathe in that, and anything under it would have been pounded into pulp.

Water Click Here

As the title of this section indicates, we’ll now look at a few problems created by the water supply, most notably the lack thereof. The amount necessary to produce a flood of global proportions far exceeds the current amount available on, in, and above the earth. While this doesn’t prove the water wasn’t present, the burden of proof is on those who defend the story to provide it with a plausible explanation. As the “fountains of the deep” (Genesis 7:11) contain only 1% of the necessary water, 99% would have to fall from the supposed sky ocean. Thus, the goal of covering every mountain with only forty days’ worth of precipitation would require a rainfall of six inches per minute, which is far too tremendous for the primitive ark to remain intact. In great contrast, we would typically expect a rainfall of only six inches per hour from a category five hurricane. One can only decide that this requirement is hardly feasible to carry out, especially when the heat generated by the impact of the raindrops on the flood surface would have been more than sufficient to boil the water and prevent it from rising.

The water originating from underneath the earth’s surface would erupt with noxious gases, such as sulfuric acid, that would make their way into the atmosphere and cause the earth to become uninhabitable. The lava expected to accompany the subterranean water would also bring the already scalding liquid to its boiling point. Furthermore, if the oceans somehow miraculously avoided vaporization, nothing would have prevented the water from receding beneath the earth once the outpour ceased unless the pressure exerted by the water above collapsed the previous passageways. Such a scenario would then force the water to remain or evaporate. Since the water is no longer present and the clouds in the supposed sky ocean don’t have the capacity to hold this amount of liquid, we can only assume that it mysteriously vanished. However, the problems of the water’s source and destination are moot points since the entire ocean should have almost instantaneously been converted to steam. In fact, the steam rising from the ocean beds would have been concentrated enough to boil off the planet’s atmosphere.

Keep in mind that this tale would make sense to the early Hebrew who apparently believed there was an oceanic reservoir in the sky (Genesis 1:6-7). If a mysterious canopy of water existed above the earth at one time, as some Christians have offered as an explanation for the origin of the water, the mass of liquid would raise the atmospheric pressure enough to cause a dramatic increase of oxygen and nitrogen to toxic levels. Such a canopy would also extend beyond the ozone layer, a problem concluding with the denaturation of water molecules by high levels of ultraviolet light. If you subtract the requisite of covering the world’s highest mountains, of which we have no reason to believe the story’s inventors were aware, most of these problems would conveniently disappear. As it stands, however, the necessary water requirement is too extraordinary for covering the earth’s surface by fifteen cubits.

rainerann

Star
The 'mulch' would be rocks and debris hundreds of feet deep and full of toxicity. The water would be a mix of salt and fresh, a mile deep, extremely heavy, extremely cold, and toxic. Also, no sunlight and no oxygen. The information was posted. I'll bring it forward. Here's the first part.

Vegetation click here
Your quote says that the exact conditions could not be duplicated so your conclusion is misleading. What you are saying is basically click bait. “All Plant Life Dies In Flood From Toxic Sea Water”

Let me make a suggestion for you to not deviate so far from the conclusions in the information that you are referencing.

What your quote suggests is that seeds on the surface would more than likely die and the landscape would definitely change. That does not prove that a forest would have been destroyed by heavy boulders knocking them over that were carried by the mighty flood waters.

Your quote is referencing a possibility that is immature in its process of investigation and has not even started to entertain the whole picture of a forest surviving a flood that is not located anywhere near the avalanches that are supposedly happening near the base of the mountain ranges.

There are too many pieces missing to make the conclusion you are making.

DUSTY

Established
Your quote says that the exact conditions could not be duplicated so your conclusion is misleading. .
I appreciate that you are staying on topic and addressing the information. Thank you.
Yes 'exact conditions' can't be duplicated in this case. That would be impossible.
It can be extrapolated from the information that we do have. If you wish to dismiss it, that's fine.
We can move on to the 4 pair of reproducing couples - related - from 4400 years ago
not being able to produce the genetic diversity we have today. Would you like to discuss that?

rainerann

Star
I appreciate that you are staying on topic and addressing the information. Thank you.
Yes 'exact conditions' can't be duplicated in this case. That would be impossible.
It can be extrapolated from the information that we do have. If you wish to dismiss it, that's fine.
We can move on to the 4 pair of reproducing couples - related - from 4400 years ago
not being able to produce the genetic diversity we have today. Would you like to discuss that?
See I don't think you can even extrapolate and reach the conclusion you are presenting according to this information. We are talking about superficial seeds on the surface of the ground according to this study. There is nothing to suggest that the root systems for some percentage of a forest could not survive a flood of this magnitude.

In the case of superficial seeds exposed to sea water, your reference says "referring to an experiment where three of five species showed germination after twenty weeks of soaking in sea water, concluded that the survival rate through dormancy would have been high (December 1968). However, two of these three sprouted only when their seed coats were scarified (cut). "

Basically, this is saying that it is possible to assume that one in five seed could survive and grow without intervention, and you only need one to survive for plants that are self-germinating. For plants that need to be pollinated, it is still reasonable to assume that if the conditions of the deluge were duplicated, we are talking thousands of seeds. We only need one in every five to grow. The chance is slim that two within thousands would grow within the same region in order for pollination to occur, but it is possible. So you are welcome to support the direction of this research, but you are not able to say that it is even possible to extrapolate the conclusion you are forming with this information at this time.

We could go on to the claim of having eight people left to populate the earth if you wish. However, your conclusion seems to depend on your timeline that you introduced and you haven't proven that I am required to follow this timeline of yours.

Without this timeline, I would yes, it is very possible to populate the world with eight people as unusual as this sounds to a modern perspective. It is actually how islands and remote places have been populated throughout history already, so there is already evidence present to support this. How many people do you think originally traveled to Norway and decided to make their roots there? Hundreds? In many remote places like this, families traveled for one reason or the other and were often somewhat isolated by environmental features like the bitter cold of Norway. Not many people would want to migrate there and countries grew out of a small number of people like the scriptures suggest.

An island is another example of this. How many people do you think it took to populate Hawaii or one of the many little islands in the Pacific? In some cases, these populations were started by a family or two getting into a boat and trying to set out to find a place separated by water that would provide protection for their families and populated the earth with no more people than the number given in
Genesis.

I think a better argument would be to point out that none of the other flood stories mention the same names and no one seems to know which family of origin they come from, which is a claim that is made by the Bible that isn't supported in other flood myths. However, in the case of whether something like this is possible since I don't depend on the timeline you have presented, yes I would say something like this is entirely possible.

See I don't think you can even extrapolate and reach the conclusion you are presenting according to this information. We are talking about superficial seeds on the surface of the ground according to this study. There is nothing to suggest that the root systems for some percentage of a forest could not survive a flood of this magnitude.

In the case of superficial seeds exposed to sea water, your reference says "referring to an experiment where three of five species showed germination after twenty weeks of soaking in sea water, concluded that the survival rate through dormancy would have been high (December 1968). However, two of these three sprouted only when their seed coats were scarified (cut). "

Basically, this is saying that it is possible to assume that one in five seed could survive and grow without intervention, and you only need one to survive for plants that are self-germinating. For plants that need to be pollinated, it is still reasonable to assume that if the conditions of the deluge were duplicated, we are talking thousands of seeds. We only need one in every five to grow. The chance is slim that two within thousands would grow within the same region in order for pollination to occur, but it is possible. So you are welcome to support the direction of this research, but you are not able to say that it is even possible to extrapolate the conclusion you are forming with this information at this time.

We could go on to the claim of having eight people left to populate the earth if you wish. However, your conclusion seems to depend on your timeline that you introduced and you haven't proven that I am required to follow this timeline of yours.

Without this timeline, I would yes, it is very possible to populate the world with eight people as unusual as this sounds to a modern perspective. It is actually how islands and remote places have been populated throughout history already, so there is already evidence present to support this. How many people do you think originally traveled to Norway and decided to make their roots there? Hundreds? In many remote places like this, families traveled for one reason or the other and were often somewhat isolated by environmental features like the bitter cold of Norway. Not many people would want to migrate there and countries grew out of a small number of people like the scriptures suggest.

An island is another example of this. How many people do you think it took to populate Hawaii or one of the many little islands in the Pacific? In some cases, these populations were started by a family or two getting into a boat and trying to set out to find a place separated by water that would provide protection for their families and populated the earth with no more people than the number given in
Genesis.

I think a better argument would be to point out that none of the other flood stories mention the same names and no one seems to know which family of origin they come from, which is a claim that is made by the Bible that isn't supported in other flood myths. However, in the case of whether something like this is possible since I don't depend on the timeline you have presented, yes I would say something like this is entirely possible.

Islands are much less populated and I’m sure it’s more than a few families anyway. There is no way around the devastating genetic bottleneck that would occur with 8 people.

350 years after the supposed flood the world population was 27 million, it’s an impossibility. Not to mention just 100 years afterwards the supposed Tower of Babel was built, for comparison the Pyramids took a workforce of 30k people there is no way to get to that level of able bodied adults in such a short time.

Interestingly enough the Japanese have no flood myth, and they use the myths of other cultures to claim superiority for their race and gods.

“The global flood story requires that only eight people were left alive in 2349 BCE, given the standard Ussher chronology.[29] Beside the fact that three brothers and their wives were said to be the ancestors of everyone alive today (and up to 7 for every "kind" of animal on the planet), this simply does not allow enough time for humans or animals to repopulate the earth given reasonable population growth rates.[30] In 2000 BCE, only 350 years after the flood, the population of the world was 27 million.[31] To go from a population of eight to a population of 27 million in 350 years would require an average annual population growth rate of 4.4%[note 5] — which is only slightly short of the highest birth rates in the world today.[32] However, birth rate and population growth aren't the same thing, and such a high birth rate implies reasons for people to have lots of children very young. The countries with the highest birth rates today have high rates of infectious disease and death, low life expectancy, and political instability, with a median age of 15 and a population growth rate well below the birth rate. This does not much resemble the society of superhumanly-long-lived fathers of nations claimed to have lived over that interval, but stable societies where children can be reliably expected to reach adulthood tend to have much lower birthrates.
A worse problem is the requirement for three couples to produce enough descendents in just a century to build the Tower of Babel.[29] Since the Tower was more threatening to God than things like the Great Pyramid (which had a workforce of some 30,000 people[33]), it would reasonably have to be at least as large a project. Multiplying the population 5,000-fold in 100 years to produce enough workers would take an annual growth rate of around 9%. This is near the edge of what is biologically possible for humans, and would require most women to spend most of their reproductive years pregnant, particularly their early years. It would still require rather low infant and mother mortality, which is beyond the means of bronze-age technology, and it would produce a society with a median age of around seven years, with each adult having several young children to care for. This wouldn't seem to be very conducive to megastructure-building.
An even more severe problem is that sexually reproducing species reduced to a population of eight individuals often experiences a catastrophic (and almost certainly extinguishing) genetic bottleneck; and the more rapid the re-expansion of this population, the more intense the inbreeding and the greater the rate of propagation of harmful recessive traits. Only in the extremely implausible case in which all six individuals happened to have no or very few harmful recessive traits might there be a possibility of repopulation without serious consequences to the species' survival — but this case would not explain the existence of known recessive genetic disorders. Considering these disorders and other polymorphisms, there are too many alleles in modern humans to possibly be accounted as the heritage of six individuals, who could at most pass on twelve versions of a particular gene. Genetic studies have actually revealed the presence of a genetic bottleneck in human prehistory[34][35] but that scenario is about 66,000 years too early and at least 2,000 people too populous for the Flood narrative.”

^ RationalWiki

rainerann

Star
Hi colonel, so your quote depends on the timeline again. Can you prove that I am required to follow this timeline?

Let’s say that you can prove that this timeline is a required claim the Bible is making, I know you are not a supporter of literalism. Let’s say I wanted to reject this claim of a fixed timeline that can’t be supported because I didn’t support literalism as well, and that I wanted to try to find a way to match when this event occurred with information given in other myths that give a similar account.

For example, the epic of Gilgamesh does not give a time that this event would have taken place. Neither does the account of manu from India as far as I can tell. Without a date, is it reasonable to assume that a flood could have taken place at an unknown date that is earlier than the date you have given considering that the information found in the study of seeds submerged in sea water proves that it is possible for one in five seeds to survive a global flood lasting as long as it did according to scripture?

Hi colonel, so your quote depends on the timeline again. Can you prove that I am required to follow this timeline?

Let’s say that you can prove that this timeline is a required claim the Bible is making, I know you are not a supporter of literalism. Let’s say I wanted to reject this claim of a fixed timeline that can’t be supported because I didn’t support literalism as well, and that I wanted to try to find a way to match when this event occurred with information given in other myths that give a similar account.

For example, the epic of Gilgamesh does not give a time that this event would have taken place. Neither does the account of manu from India as far as I can tell. Without a date, is it reasonable to assume that a flood could have taken place at an unknown date that is earlier than the date you have given considering that the information found in the study of seeds submerged in sea water proves that it is possible for one in five seeds to survive a global flood lasting as long as it did according to scripture?

Hi. It’s good to see you online. :)

Well it might make it more plausible if the date is unknown and goes back further, but still highly unlikely.

Even if seeds survived you still run into this problem : “Even then, assuming that seeds survived, the conditions would almost certainly not have been amenable for the regrowth of vegetation. The masses of silt and debris would have been fairly uniform across the world — the flood was global, remember? — yet different plants have adapted for different conditions and different soil types. In order to reproduce and spread, many plants need a symbiotic relationship with animals or insects for pollination and seed dispersal. Often this can be remarkably specific, with only one species of plant working with one species of insect. While some plant species can pollinate and disperse seed just with the wind, an environment reduced to only a few individuals spread across the entire planet, in hostile conditions, is hardly conducive to this.”

Another point, with vegetation initially wiped out how did the herbivores survive post flood? The carnivores could survive for a time by eating them but soon it will run out and they would have tried to eat each other.

rainerann

Star
Well we are forgetting existing root systems and whether an established forest could survive, which would not be dependent on seeds.

In addition to this vegetation survives while landscape may changes in areas where tsunamis are common. If it were true that nothing would survive a flood described than places where the frequency of tsunamis is high would also become uninhabitable.

Therefore, there is reason to believe that at one point a large flood could have taken place and more importantly when we are considering this subject. I don’t think it’s as simple to say these things are impossible because in some respect, they represent something that we are not able to understand within the common thread they share.

How are there so many similarities within creation accounts that include the discussion of a global flood? I just don’t think you can simple disregard this. For us, it is like information about creation is stamped within these stories, but the reason and the meaning for this elude us because of various worldviews we adopt in the modern world.

Would it be fair to say that you would be willing to entertain that previous generations had a stronger spiritual sense that produced these myths?

Well we are forgetting existing root systems and whether an established forest could survive, which would not be dependent on seeds.

In addition to this vegetation survives while landscape may changes in areas where tsunamis are common. If it were true that nothing would survive a flood described than places where the frequency of tsunamis is high would also become uninhabitable.

Therefore, there is reason to believe that at one point a large flood could have taken place and more importantly when we are considering this subject. I don’t think it’s as simple to say these things are impossible because in some respect, they represent something that we are not able to understand within the common thread they share.

How are there so many similarities within creation accounts that include the discussion of a global flood? I just don’t think you can simple disregard this. For us, it is like information about creation is stamped within these stories, but the reason and the meaning for this elude us because of various worldviews we adopt in the modern world.

Would it be fair to say that you would be willing to entertain that previous generations had a stronger spiritual sense that produced these myths?
The torrential rain required for a flood of this scale, enough to cover the tallest mountain would surely destroy the root systems of plants like grasses or flowers and most likely trees too. Now even if somehow the root systems of trees remained intact they wouldn’t grow back. If they did we wouldn’t have to worry about deforestation.

Even the worst flooding we see today isn’t comparable to what this was supposed to be, so I don’t think it’s a valid point.

Well, all the cultures that have a flood myth lived in areas that flooded, and not all of them have them. The Japanese don’t and if anything would have flooded it would be an Island. Again they use this as “proof” to back up the superiority of their culture and pantheon as Japan was spared.

It could also be a manifestation of Jungian collective unconscious/archetypes.

Perhaps they had a more spiritual sense as it was an escape from the harshness of ancient life, the same reason why people cling to spirituality today.

It’s likely they just didn’t understand the world around them so they devised these outlandish stories to explain them.

rainerann

Star
I disagree that torrential rain is the same thing as cutting down a tree. Either way, we are both making estimations of how the environment would be affected by a large scale flood that can’t be proven one way or the other.

The text for the creation and the story of Noah’s ark is literally 9 chapters long. Clearly, it is presenting a spiritual message and not a weather report. This report is also consistent with other locations.

Do you think it is possible to have an understanding of creation as an extrasensory experience that would have led to writing the stories down?

I would say that it is and that this is achieved through an experience similar to intuition. That is how I would describe connecting with god, it is intuitive and translated poorly with words, but possible.

I am open to the possibility of interventions like some sort of mild psychedelic incense that increased this ability. Either way you can make an argument in support of the creation and the flood in the same way that you could try to make a case that it is impossible.

Obviously, you couldn’t teach a science class with 9 chapters, but accepting that it is possible to understand the creation through an intuitive process is the same thing as being willing to believe that there is a god. I think that unless you are a staunch atheist, there is no reason to reject this possibility.

I probably won’t be able to follow this thread too closely anymore, but it’s been fun colonel and dusty. Till we meet again.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar

I think the Bible suggests that the waters came down... and up, and that in breaking up the land, our present mountainous structures would have been created. To a certain degree, I admit it is unimaginable, but there has been evidence found for these “fountains of the Great Deep”

Evidence of Fountains of the Great Deep?
BY TIM CLAREY, PH.D. * | THURSDAY, JANUARY 18, 2018

Two recent articles in Nature Geoscience may provide important validations of the global Flood. Did researchers find evidence of the “fountains of the great deep” that started the deluge?

Timothy Paulsen, from the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh, and co-authors from Michigan Technological University and ETH Zurich, found evidence of a spike in volcanic activity and a rapid release of massive amounts of carbon dioxide just prior to the deposition of Cambrian rock layers.1

Cambrian rocks are considered by many creation geologists to represent the first extensive Flood deposits. Cambrian sediments are the bottom-most layer in the Sauk megasequence and contain fossils of the so-called Cambrian Explosion—the first sediments with prolific numbers of hard-shelled organisms.2

Cambrian rocks are considered by many creation geologists to represent the first extensive Flood deposits. Tweet: Cambrian rocks are considered by many creation geologists to represent the first extensive Flood deposits.

Evidence of Fountains of the Great Deep? http://www.icr.org/article/10445/

@icrscience

Paulsen and his colleagues conducted trace element analysis on zircon crystals from Antarctica and compared them to previous studies of global magmatism. They determined there is evidence of a massive outpouring of carbon dioxide and associated volcanic activity just before the deposition of the Sauk megasequence in a system called the Ediacaran. The Ediacaran is what secularists call the latest Precambrian or Neoproterozoic.

In another paper in the same issue of Nature Geoscience, Sascha Brune, and co-authors report:

“CO2 behaves as an incompatible element and is readily transported to shallow crustal levels during melt migration. Although a certain fraction is released to the atmosphere during volcanic eruptions, recent studies indicate that much higher CO2 release occurs due to circulation of hydrothermal fluids and degassing along normal faults without eruptive volcanism.”3

These scientists claim that spikes in CO2 are associated with continental rifting that produces normal faults and conduits for hydrothermal minerals like copper.3

In North America, there is ample evidence of pre-Sauk volcanism and rifting down the middle of the continent—the Midcontinent Rift. Here, the pre-Sauk produced a tremendous outpouring of basaltic lava that split open central North America.4 This north-south fracture extends over 1,800 miles across what is now Lake Superior all the way to Kansas, and produced nearly 500,000 cubic miles of lava!4 The Midcontinent Rift contains far more than lava flows—over 11 billion pounds of copper were mined from the Rift in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula alone. Tremendous volumes of superheated groundwater (~430ºF, or 220ºC) followed the eruption of lava and placed the huge copper deposits within the flows.4

So, whether by increased volcanic activity or increased hydrothermal activity, there appears to be significant evidence of a spike in global volcanic action and associated rifting prior to the deposition of the Sauk megasequence. Could this be evidence of the breaking up of the “fountains of the great deep” mentioned in Genesis 7:11?

Modern ocean ridges, normal faults, hydrothermal activity and volcanism are found beneath every ocean of the world. The ocean ridge system extends 45,000 miles, connecting all of the seas. The system consists of huge, linear mountain chains rising 10,000 feet above the ocean floor with a rift valley marked by normal faults and hydrothermal activity at the center, still actively spewing out basaltic magma. However, the present level of volcanism and rifting is much less than levels in the past as evidenced by these recent studies.

The Bible offers a solution to this newly identified spike in volcanism and rifting. Genesis plainly states that “all the fountains of the great deep were broken up, and the windows of heaven were opened” during the initiation of the Flood (Genesis 7:11). The breaking up of the fountains of the great deep may be a description of the great rifting that took place at the ocean ridges and within continents.5

The Flood was a one-time event like no other. It is no wonder scientists find evidence of its catastrophic history in the rocks. Tweet: The Flood was a one-time event like no other. It is no wonder scientists find evidence of its catastrophic history in the rocks.

Evidence of Fountains of the Great Deep? http://www.icr.org/article/10445/

@icrscience

Today, we merely see the remnants of this activity in the ridges of our modern oceans. No longer are they spewing out tremendous volumes of lava and massive amounts of CO2. The Flood was a one-time event like no other. It is no wonder scientists find evidence of its catastrophic history in the rocks. The geologic history of the Flood is clearly seen, including the billions of fossils entombed in the rocks on every continent. Time and again, science confirms the historical accuracy of the Bible.