The dating of the Book of Daniel

TokiEl

Superstar
You have no proof, only conjecture. YHWH is the God of Abraham, Moses and David, not Jesus. In fact, YHWH was the God of Jesus too (Mark 12:29). If you'd read the Bible, you would know this.
Moses wrote in the proto sinaitic/canaanite script... and as you can see there are two persons in the name of God. That is YHWH is made up of an arm and a person and a nail and a person... a person driving a nail into another person. You can make of that what you want... the wise will know that this is the Father and the Son depicted in the Name of God.

Daniel 12 10Many will be purified, made spotless, and refined, but the wicked will continue to act wickedly. None of the wicked will understand, but the wise will understand.

Moses wrote in the proto sinaitic/canaanite script... and as you can see there are two persons in the name of God. That is YHWH is made up of an arm and a person and a nail and a person... a person driving a nail into another person. You can make of that what you want... the wise will know that this is the Father and the Son depicted in the Name of God.

Daniel 12 10Many will be purified, made spotless, and refined, but the wicked will continue to act wickedly. None of the wicked will understand, but the wise will understand.
This vacuous garbage has already been refuted, funny meme though, lol.

I've already tackled this topic here already: https://vigilantcitizenforums.com/threads/the-one-universal-religion-of-love.6454/post-239966

TokiEl

Superstar
There is the wise and there is the wicked... the wise know that salvation is in Jesus Christ while the wicked will try to denigrate Him not knowing that He is their Maker.

There is the wise and there is the wicked... the wise know that salvation is in Jesus Christ while the wicked will try to denigrate Him not knowing that He is their Maker.
Deuteronomy 13 speaks against this belief, remember you're arguing against God here:

Someday a prophet may come along who is able to perform miracles or tell what will happen in the future. Then the prophet may say, “Let’s start worshiping some new gods—some gods that we know nothing about.”
If the prophet says this, don’t listen! YHWH your God will be watching to find out whether or not you love him with all your heart and soul.
You must be completely faithful to YHWH. Worship and obey only YHWH and do this with fear and trembling,
because he rescued you from slavery in Egypt.
If a prophet tells you to disobey YHWH your God and to stop worshiping him, then that prophet is evil and must be put to death.
Someone else may say to you, “Let’s worship other gods.” That person may be your best friend, your brother or sister, your son or daughter, or your own dear wife or husband. But you must not listen to people who say such things. Instead, you must stone them to death. You must be the first to throw the stones, then others from the community will finish the job. Don’t show any pity.
The gods worshiped by other nations have never done anything for you or your ancestors. People who ask you to worship other gods are trying to get you to stop worshiping YHWH, who rescued you from slavery in Egypt. So put to death anyone who asks you to worship another god.
And when the rest of Israel hears about it, they will be afraid, and no one else will ever do such an evil thing again.
After YHWH your God gives you towns to live in, you may hear a rumor about one of the towns.
You may hear that some worthless people have talked everyone there into worshiping other gods, even though these gods had never done anything for them.
You must carefully find out if the rumor is true. Then if the people of that town have actually done such a disgusting thing in your own country,
you must take your swords and kill every one of them, and their livestock too.
Gather all the possessions of the people who lived there, and pile them up in the marketplace, without keeping anything for yourself. Set the pile and the whole town on fire, and don’t ever rebuild the town. The whole town will be a sacrifice to YHWH your God. Then he won’t be angry anymore, and he will have mercy on you and make you successful, just as he promised your ancestors.

That’s why you must do what YHWH your God says is right. I am giving you his laws and teachings today, and you must obey them.

TokiEl

Superstar
Are there anybody with two or more brain cells on the board that understand what they're looking at here ?

Are there anybody with two or more brain cells on the board that understand what they're looking at here ?

As I already said in that link:

"
Tav < He < Vav

Which would be three instead of four as well (matching the bogus trinity at that!). "

Your diagram is objectively wrong if you're trying to portray a crucified person, LMFAO!!! :D

rainerann

Star
It is also difficult to understand when to begin the count of 490 years according to Christian interpretation. Four hundred and ninety years before Jesus’s death does not seem to correspond to any significant event, making it unclear what starting point Daniel’s vision had in mind.
This seems to be the primary key in this article. When do the 490 years start to prove that Daniel 9 is referencing Jesus? 2 Chronicles 36:21 seems to suggest that it began with Cyrus, but that still doesn't help when there is nothing recognizable that would have happened at the end of this timeframe. Either way, this would be the easiest way to address this article without all the fluff that has been added in response to it.

...none of which explains why our proposed “psudo-Daniel” could have hit on the timing of the coming Messiah with the prophecy of the 70 weeks. I await further enlightenment!

Your article should respond to this question in InfinityLoop's article Red, but it doesn't. The scenario from this website only works if you can prove that, "The commandment to restore and build Jerusalem was given by Artaxerxes Longimanus on March 14, 445 B.C." (from your article).

This seems all fine on the surface, except the Bible says in 2 Chronicles 36:22-23

"In the first year of Cyrus king of Persia, in order to fulfill the word of the Lord spoken by Jeremiah, the Lord moved the heart of Cyrus king of Persia to make a proclamation throughout his realm and also to put it in writing:

“This is what Cyrus king of Persia says:

“‘The Lord, the God of heaven, has given me all the kingdoms of the earth and he has appointed me to build a temple for him at Jerusalem in Judah. Any of his people among you may go up, and may the Lord their God be with them.’

Daniel 9:25 says.

"Know and understand this: From the time the word goes out to restore and rebuild Jerusalem until the Anointed One,[f] the ruler, comes, there will be seven ‘sevens,’ and sixty-two ‘sevens.’ It will be rebuilt with streets and a trench, but in times of trouble."

It kind of sounds like Cyrus is the one who did this, not Artaxerxes. So this would have happened in the 5th century BC, not the 4th.

It seems like this would have been an obvious error to catch before going to the trouble of doing all the math about the 360 day years when you see in 2 Chronicles 36:21 it says.

"The land enjoyed its sabbath rests; all the time of its desolation it rested until the seventy years were completed in fulfillment of the word of the Lord spoken by Jeremiah."

Second Chronicles is confirming that this began in the 5th century by saying that this time period was completed and then Cyrus said that a temple should be built and the people should return. However, we can still see what the Rabbi is saying because it becomes difficult to identify a significant event taking place at the end of this time period. So this article is nowhere close to being the nail in the coffin that proves the dating of the book of Daniel. I think it even hurts the cause of reaching any kind of conclusion on this matter.

The reference for the closing date is also questionable. "This is the only occasion that Jesus presented Himself as King. It occurred on April 6, 32 A.D.[9]"

Footnote 9 says "Luke 3:1: Tiberias appointed in A.D. 14; 15th year, A.D. 29; the 4th Passover occurred in A.D. 32."

There is more than one problem with using Luke 3:1 as the starting point for deriving this date. The first one, which is the primary reason, is that this reference in Luke 3:1 is referring to the beginning of John the Baptist's ministry. In chapter 3, you are left in the same position as the Rabbi. There is no real way to identify when Jesus enters the picture according to this reference. I don't really know why it was even used at all.

The second problem with this comes into the picture when you consider the final year of 32 AD in relation to Luke 3:1. If Tiberius began his reign on September 17, 14 AD according to Britannica Encyclopedia, then the fourth Passover year from the beginning of his reign would be AD 33

Missler says that AD 29 is the 15th year of Tiberias' reign and says that the Jewish calendar is using a 360 day calendar. If we ignore that Luke 3:1 doesn't tell us that Jesus began his ministry at the same time, and assume that he did, the fourth Passover should be in AD 33. This Passover in AD 29 would technically be in the 14th year of his reign unless you or Missler has a reason to assume that the years are calculated from the beginning of the calendar year rather than the anniversary of when he began his reign.

So there is nothing about this article that verifies the dating of Daniel at all. In fact, I think it further highlights how Christians can take a message for granted and believe something without double-checking dates and references. This is what makes it easy to create Christian propaganda in our generation. The church idealizes going backward rather than going forward with a more objective view of the scriptures. A lot of these articles satisfy this longing to go back to a time when the Bible wasn't questioned for historical accuracy, as though it will help the church increase in purity and its ability to witness, but this attitude is hurting the church more than it is helping it.

Daciple

Star
Interesting observations by Rain, not that I agree or disagree, but they are worthy of consideration. Personally I tend to side on the belief that it was written well in the past by a man named Daniel, but I also am one that legitimately can be open to reasonable proofs that Rain has contended.

And what I have noticed here Red, is that you basically ignored the very clear reason for the call of dismissal of your view that Daniel has to be set in 600 due to the "Messiah Date".

Rain said it clearly:

Personally, I have never gone with the interpretation of Daniel 9 that you are using
Essentially your "proof" isnt really proof to those who disagree with your interpretation of Daniel 9. I for one dont agree with cutting of the weeks, as you and most Pre Trib Dispensationalists do. That position is NOT one that has been Historically accepted, this ideology is literally less than 200 yrs old. For thousands of years no one in the Church ever thought to cut the last part of these weeks off and throw them into the Future, let alone thousands of years into the Future. I would dare to say that none of the Apostles, Jesus or the Early Church viewed Daniel in the manner either.

We know FOR SURE that the Early Church didnt view Daniel in that method, and while I didnt read A "freeman"s post, I think it may have discussed the fact that for hundreds and hundreds of years the one who ended the Sacrifices was Jesus, not some future Antichrist in the middle of some 70th week of cutting off that Prophecy. Almost ALL of History of the Church has identified Jesus as being the one that ended Sacrifice, because He LITERALLY ENDED THE SACRIFICE. Has there been a need for Sacrifice since? Nope

Again the Historical position of the Church until John Nelson Darby and crew was that Daniel has been 100% fulfilled, the abomination of desolation was fulfilled when the Roman Army came and destroyed the Temple and desecrated it.

Here is a precise understanding of how the Church has always interpreted Dan 9:

So you can keep making this claim about the dating of Daniel (which I personally agree WAS 600) based on your interpretation, but it literally has no bearing when the fact is Billions of people disagreed with your view for hundreds and hundreds of years...

TokiEl

Superstar
Knowledge and understanding are required to figure out Daniel's 70 weeks prophecy.

Dan 9 25“Know therefore and understand,
That from the going forth of the command
To restore and build Jerusalem
Until Messiah the Prince,
There shall be seven weeks and sixty-two weeks;
The street shall be built again, and the wall,
Even in troublesome times.

So why are you even attempting to solve this prophecy ?

There are two problems which must be known before one can hope to understand this.

*1 When was the command to restore and build Jerusalem with the walls ?
*2 How long is one week ?

If you don't know... then you will never understand this prophetic timeline.

Last edited:

TokiEl

Superstar
*1 When was the command to restore and build Jerusalem with the walls ?

Well the Jerusalem wall was built by Nehemiah right ?

Nehemiah 2 And it came to pass in the month of Nisan, in the twentieth year of King Artaxerxes, when wine was before him, that I took the wine and gave it to the king. Now I had never been sad in his presence before. 2 Therefore the king said to me, “Why is your face sad, since you are not sick? This is nothing but sorrow of heart.”

So I became dreadfully afraid, 3 and said to the king, “May the king live forever! Why should my face not be sad, when the city, the place of my fathers’ tombs, lies waste, and its gates are burned with fire?”

4 Then the king said to me, “What do you request?”

So I prayed to the God of heaven. 5 And I said to the king, “If it pleases the king, and if your servant has found favor in your sight, I ask that you send me to Judah, to the city of my fathers’ tombs, that I may rebuild it.”

When was the month of Nisan in the 20th year of king Artaxerxes ?

According to Isaac Newton in his treatise on Daniel and Revelation part 1 chapter 10 Of the prophecy of the 70 weeks...

"Now the years of this Artaxerxes began about two or three months after the summer soltice, and his seventh year fell in with the third year of the eightieth Olympiad; and the latter part thereof, wherein Ezra went up to Jerusalem, was in the year of the Julian Period 4257."

The third year of the 80th olympiad was from summer 458 BC to summer 457 BC and the year of the Julian Period 4257 was 457 BC.

So according to Newton the 7th year of king Artaxerxes began about two or three months after the summer soltice of 458 BC.... which would mean his 20th year began about two or three months after the summer soltice of 445 BC. So Nisan which is the first month of spring in his 20th year would be in March 444 BC.

TokiEl

Superstar
*2 How long is one week ?

Strong's H7620 - shabuwa`

שָׁבוּעַ shâbûwaʻ, shaw-boo'-ah; or שָׁבֻעַ shâbuaʻ; also (feminine) שְׁבֻעָה shᵉbuʻâh; properly, passive participle of H7650 as a denominative of H7651; literally, sevened, i.e. a week (specifically, of years):—seven, week.

Gen 29 27“Fulfill her week, and we will give you this one also for the service which you will serve with me still another seven years.”

Shabuwa/week was the period of time Jacob had to labour in order to marry Rachel as well... namely seven years.

Not solar years as this was almost 4000 years ago but an amount of weeks that make up 7 years.

The creation week is a heptad repeat where 7 days is 1 week on and on... in the same vein 7 years is 360 weeks on and on...

Last edited:

TokiEl

Superstar
Now we know from when to count and how much...

From March 444 BC count 7x360 weeks + 62x360 weeks until the Messiah.

Last edited:

TokiEl

Superstar
You may know that the planets move across the sky in a clockwork fashion... and so we can compute their whereabouts eclipses and phases at any point in time. It's God's cosmic clock.

You may also know that a hebrew month begins at the first sighted crescent moon... and since the new moon in March 444 BC has been computed to conjunct on March 2 19:29 UT... then this Nisan sighted crescent moon over Jerusalem would be spotted on March 4 or 5.

So that gives us a specific start point from when to count... 24 840 weeks from March 4 or 5 444 BC... until the Messiah.

Check.

A Freeman

Superstar
Genetic Fallacy with no relevance to Daniel 9 (and that's under the false assumption that there is anything correct in what you've said, as your post is out-right ad hominem with no refutations about Daniel 9).
An impostor will do whatever they can to maintain and protect their FAKE identity. Exposing the impostor (and their agenda) is neither a "genetic fallacy" nor is it an ad hominem attack. In fact, it is you who are guilty of the ad hominem attack, because you don't like someone pointing out the obvious fact that 658 years clearly cannot be 490 years as the so-called rabbi falsely claims, because it means by default that you are promoting lies.

So yes, it absolutely is relevant that an impostor pretending to be not only a "Jew" but also an authority figure has redefined the terms used in Daniel 9 to create a false narrative/intentional misinterpretation of the verse, just as you do with the Quran.

Are you going to pretend the rabbi can count or are you going to admit he is full of it and that you promoted his nonsense without bothering to fact check anything he actually said (again, because he said what you wanted to hear, for your own selfish purposes: to maintain the division created by organized religion, particularly between Talmudic Judaism, "Christianity" and "Islam")?

Time will tell.

Last edited:

TokiEl

Superstar
From: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artaxerxes_I_of_Persia
Artaxerxes I (/ˌɑːrtəˈzɜːrksiːz/, Old Persian: Artaxšaça,[2] "whose rule (xšaça < *xšaϑram) is through arta ("truth");[3] Hebrew: אַרְתַּחְשַׁשְׂתָּא, Modern: ʾArtaḥšásta, Tiberian: ʾArtaḥšasetāʾ; Ancient Greek: Ἀρταξέρξης, romanized: Artaxérxēs[4]) was the sixth King of Kings of the Achaemenid Empire, from 465-424 BC.[5] He was the third son of Xerxes I.

Therefore the 20th year of Artaxerxes would have been 445 BC.
Hold your horses...

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artaxerxes_I_of_Persia
Artaxerxes was probably born in the reign of his grandfather Darius I, to the emperor's son and heir, Xerxes I. In 465 BC, Xerxes I was murdered by Hazarapat ("commander of thousand") Artabanus, the commander of the royal bodyguard and the most powerful official in the Persian court, with the help of a eunuch, Aspamitres.[7] Greek historians give contradicting accounts of events. According to Ctesias (in Persica 20), Artabanus then accused Crown Prince Darius, Xerxes's eldest son, of the murder, and persuaded Artaxerxes to avenge the patricide by killing Darius. But according to Aristotle (in Politics 5.1311b), Artabanus killed Darius first and then killed Xerxes. After Artaxerxes discovered the murder, he killed Artabanus and his sons.[8][9]

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artabanus_of_Persia
Artabanus of Persia (or Artabanus the Hyrcanian; Ancient Greek: Ἀρτάβανος) was a Persian political figure during the Achaemenid dynasty who was reportedly Regent of Persia for a few months (465 BC – 464 BC).

Therefore the 20th year of Artaxerxes would have been from the 19th anniversary after killing Artabanus in 464 BC.

I don't know when in 464 BC Artabanus was killed and Artaxerxes became king...i wasn't there. And neither was Isaac Newton but according to him Artaxerxes became king two or three months after the summer solstice.

"Now the years of this Artaxerxes began about two or three months after the summer soltice, and his seventh year fell in with the third year of the eightieth Olympiad; and the latter part thereof, wherein Ezra went up to Jerusalem, was in the year of the Julian Period 4257." Isaac Newton

Therefore the 20th year of Artaxerxes would have been from two or three months after the summer solstice in 445 BC to two or three months after the summer solstice in 444 BC.

So in the month of Nisan in his 20th year would have been in the month of March in 444 BC.

Last edited:

rainerann

Star
The passage from Nehemiah only works if you make up your own rules about what qualifies as a proclamation.

“21 The land enjoyed its sabbath rests; all the time of its desolation it rested, until the seventy years were completed in fulfillment of the word of the Lordspoken by Jeremiah.
22 In the first year of Cyrus king of Persia, in order to fulfill the word of the Lord spoken by Jeremiah, the Lord moved the heart of Cyrus king of Persia to make a proclamation throughout his realm and also to put it in writing:
23 “

2 chronicles 36:21-23

“In the first year of Cyrus king of Persia, in order to fulfill the word of the Lord spoken by Jeremiah, the Lord moved the heart of Cyrus king of Persia
throughout his realm and also to put it in writing:

2 “This is what Cyrus king of Persia says:
“‘The Lord, the God of heaven, has given me all the kingdoms of the earth and he has appointed me to build a temple for him at Jerusalem in Judah. 3 Any of his people among you may go up to Jerusalem in Judah and build the temple of the Lord, the God of Israel, the God who is in Jerusalem, and may their God be with them. 4 And in any locality where survivors may now be living, the people are to provide them with silver and gold, with goods and livestock, and with freewill offerings for the temple of God in Jerusalem.’”

Ezra 1:1-4

“Know and understand this: From the time the word goes out to restore and rebuild Jerusalem until the Anointed One,[f] the ruler, comes, there will be seven ‘sevens,’ and sixty-two ‘sevens.’ It will be rebuilt with streets and a trench, but in times of trouble.” Daniel9:25

the problem with Nehemiah is that scripture is clear in two other places that Cyrus made the proclamation. The only reason you would use Nehemiah is because you can’t get the timeframe to work the way you want if you do, but that is the biggest problem in trying to discuss things like this with other Christians. They spend way too much time trying to control scripture instead of just letting it say what it wants to say.

the world will not end if we let go of some of the traditions that people have attached to the study of scripture.

TokiEl

Superstar
The passage from Nehemiah only works if you make up your own rules about what qualifies as a proclamation.
Cyrus proclaimed jews could go ahead and rebuild the temple if they wanted... but Daniel's 70 weeks prophecy is not about rebuilding the temple. It's about rebuilding the city of Jerusalem with the wall.

In the time of Nehemiah the city was still in ruins and there was no wall... and in the month of Nisan in the 20th year of king Artaxerxes it was granted Nehemiah to go ahead and rebuild the city with the wall.

So according to the words in Daniel's 70 weeks prophecy... we must pick the point in time when the word was given to rebuild the city with the wall. And that was in the month of Nisan in the 20th year of king Artaxerxes.

You have been thoroughly schooled by a twat. How does that feel ?

Last edited:

rainerann

Star
Cyrus proclaimed jews could go ahead and rebuild the temple if they wanted... but Daniel's 70 weeks prophecy is not about rebuilding the temple. It's about rebuilding the city of Jerusalem with the wall.

In the time of Nehemiah the city was still in ruins and there was no wall... and in the month of Nisan in the 20th year of king Artaxerxes it was granted Nehmiah to go ahead and rebuild the city with the wall.
Your making stuff up. Both passages specifically and clearly reference that this happens at the end of the 70 weeks prophesied by Jeremiah that Daniel is praying to god about in chapter nine when he receives this response. It is Cyrus that clearly puts the word out to restore Jerusalem. It says in Ezra chapter 1 and 2 that he sends back all of the items that were taken and consequently restores and rebuilds Jerusalem.

let scripture say what it says without forcing it to say something else.