Testimonies Of Religious Convert

manama

Star
Maybe you both could use another treatment then that would help both of you with your language and the disrespectful way you treat people. Maybe this isn't working as well as you think. Starting every comment with laughing my ass off is a disrespectful way to talk to people. I will pray for both of you cause I think you could both still use some help.
When Muslims demand logic and facts

Christians:

Since we are on the topic ... Dr Laurance Brown was an athiest who went to Christianity and then Islam:

"While there have always been significant numbers of educated and practicing Jewish and Christian converts to Islam, the reverse is not true, nor has it been true at anytime in history. There are cases of those belonging to deviant sects of Islam who convert to different religions, but this is hardly surprising. Ignorant of the true teachings of the Islamic religion, they are often seduced by the worldly permissiveness of other religions. Examples of these deviant groups include the Baha’i, the Nation of Islam, the Ahmadiyyah (also known as Qadianis), the Ansar, extreme Sufi orders, and many, if not most, of the Shi’ite sects. These groups may identify with the label of Islam, but like aman who calls himself a tree, lack sufficient roots in the religion to substantiate the claim." - Dr. Laurance Brown in MisGod'ed: A roadmap of guidance and misguidance within the Abrahamic Religions

JoChris

Superstar
I would be moved if she showed logical reasoning for her conversion. What she described is the same reason many people use for following cults.
Its not like her testimony doesn't matter. Its just that I can't care enough.
If your reason for leaving religion is because abusive family or stuff like that. Unless it is justified by that religion, its a bad excuse. A bad family is a bad family. You can't change that.
If people are interested in hearing/ watching personal testimonies that came as a result of serious thought and investigation into the Christian faith, there are many available on http://www.sermonaudio.com/search.asp?currsection=sermonstopic&keyworddesc=Testimonies&keyword=testimon

I actually haven't looked for personal testimonies on Youtube before. Serious questions for people who have watched quite a few Christian conversion stories (more than 10):
Does Youtube has more personal testimonies that seem extreme to Muslims?
Do many of these come from non- Western countries where Christianity is a minor faith and bible knowledge non-existent?
For testimonies from Western countries: are these people usually from non-Christian families or from Christian background but backslid terribly?
Are these converts brought to Christ after personal tragedy/ terrible personal sin?
How many do seem to be purely from hearing the Gospel message e.g. atheist with no personal problems, but spiritually seeking/ asking questions about Meaning of Life?

If people are interested in hearing/ watching personal testimonies that came as a result of serious thought and investigation into the Christian faith, there are many available on http://www.sermonaudio.com/search.asp?currsection=sermonstopic&keyworddesc=Testimonies&keyword=testimon

I actually haven't looked for personal testimonies on Youtube before. Serious questions for people who have watched quite a few Christian conversion stories (more than 10):
Does Youtube has more personal testimonies that seem extreme to Muslims?
Do many of these come from non- Western countries where Christianity is a minor faith and bible knowledge non-existent?
For testimonies from Western countries: are these people usually from non-Christian families or from Christian background but backslid terribly?
Are these converts brought to Christ after personal tragedy/ terrible personal sin?
How many do seem to be purely from hearing the Gospel message e.g. atheist with no personal problems, but spiritually seeking/ asking questions about Meaning of Life?
You should watch the video I posted before your post- an atheist man whose newborn daughter in the NICU operating room - he went into a prayer room and said basically - " if you are real God please save my daughter and then guide me to the religion that is most pleasing to you." He had no preconceived attachment to any religion - his daugher was cured and being a man of his word, he went in search for the religion that was most pleasing to God. He learned all about Christianity and all the sects within Christianity - he liked the teachings of Jesus but could not reconcile them with the Trinitarian Doctrine and no priest or pastor could explain the difference to him. The last religion he looked into was Islam - and he found the chain of revelation from the Prophets of the Bible to be consistant with the revelation that Muhammad wsa sent with and thus he embraced Islam. His testimony is heart warming, whether you are a Christian or a Muslim.

JoChris

Superstar
You should watch the video I posted before your post- an atheist man whose newborn daughter in the NICU operating room - he went into a prayer room and said basically - " if you are real God please save my daughter and then guide me to the religion that is most pleasing to you." He had no preconceived attachment to any religion - his daugher was cured and being a man of his word, he went in search for the religion that was most pleasing to God. He learned all about Christianity and all the sects within Christianity - he liked the teachings of Jesus but could not reconcile them with the Trinitarian Doctrine and no priest or pastor could explain the difference to him. The last religion he looked into was Islam - and he found the chain of revelation from the Prophets of the Bible to be consistant with the revelation that Muhammad wsa sent with and thus he embraced Islam. His testimony is heart warming, whether you are a Christian or a Muslim.
I just watched it. This passage came to my mind as he related the story of him asking priests questions and because Christianity didn't make sense to him personally, he dismissed it.

1 Corinthians 1:18 For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.
19 For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent.
20 Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world?
21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.
22 For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom:
23 But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness;

24 But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God.

The fact that he liked the quiet chapel place at the hospital because it didn't have a cross reveals a lot about him. He didn't even want Christ in the first place.

Daciple

Star
While its nice to see others testimonies that posted them on Youtube and the internet, I would atm much rather know about everyone on here, what is your personal testimony? We see the line by some that those on Youtube are fake ect, well I believe the most active posters on here are real, many defend their faith and attest to their beliefs all day long. So what happened in your life that has lead you personally to the Faith you preach and defend?

I wrote out my testimony, it is long, but it is real as well, you can read it here:

https://vigilantcitizenforums.com/threads/my-testimony.403/

So why do you believe what you believe? How did you come to your Faith? Tell me all about your testimony and how God lead you to believe and accept it!!!

Tatilina

Star
I will never share my personal testimony here. This isn't the place to be doing that. Even so, there isn't much to tell when you've been dedicated to the Lord as a baby and raised up in a non-denominational Christian home. God has always been there and he's done a lot for me. I have always believed in him and love my memories of a child listening to some of the best Christian music ever and being read the children's bible stories before bed. My mother gave me a good start! I even had my own Teen study bible. I was super happy to be able to find a picture of it

I've never had a problem believing in Jesus or his word, but I have had my many struggles with God and his ways. I've gone prodigal a few times, but never could I ever deny Jesus Christ, the son of God. He's done so much for me, that I would have to be out of my mind to do that.
I don't know if it has to do with being the first born or not, but neither my brother or sister are believers. They weren't dedicated either. I'd rather not share some of my personal intimate moments throughout my life with God because even most Christians don't really believe me or can relate. So...that's about it.

Last edited:

JoChris

Superstar
While its nice to see others testimonies that posted them on Youtube and the internet, I would atm much rather know about everyone on here, what is your personal testimony? We see the line by some that those on Youtube are fake ect, well I believe the most active posters on here are real, many defend their faith and attest to their beliefs all day long. So what happened in your life that has lead you personally to the Faith you preach and defend?

I wrote out my testimony, it is long, but it is real as well, you can read it here:

https://vigilantcitizenforums.com/threads/my-testimony.403/

So why do you believe what you believe? How did you come to your Faith? Tell me all about your testimony and how God lead you to believe and accept it!!!
I don't think I would ever want to tell my whole testimony in as much detail as you have Daciple.
But here is a summary in point form:

* brought up in outwardly religious Catholic family
* was always interested in religious lessons at school, so still remember most of Catholic doctrine
* became curious about bible after I saw my mother improve after attending bible studies with Anglican acquaintances
* noticed how much of the bible wasn't taught in Catholic religion lessons, planted seeds of doubt
* aged 12 diagnosed with epilepsy, weird mystical experiences started same time (made me open to Quakerism, mysticism, extreme Charismatic teachings, demon possession teachings)
* mother's new acquaintances were Charismatic Christians, through them I read lots of different books, some weirdo ones(see above), but several Gospel tracts did make me decide to "'make a decision for Christ"
* went to a Baptist church at beginning of University, there met a young man who I became seriously involved with -> serious sin, immorality and emotional abuse, as a result I walked away from Christ
* met my husband (atheist), 6 weeks before our marriage after I saw a Christian interviewed on TV I suddenly repented
* went to local Uniting Church, was adopted by Christian family literally up the end of my street

CRISIS of FAITH:
* post- my first boy my seizures got progressively worse, medications no longer working effectively - decided to have brain surgery
* post surgery no sense of God's presence ever
* I investigated WHY it had changed so much - brain surgery removed the source of the feelings
* I doubted any faith had been real - concluded for me it had been all seizure related
* didn't attend any church after we moved town, from 2002-2006 I gave myself permission to read or watch whatever I felt like, my religious conscience had been seared
* after change of medications my mood plummeted further, made me hungry for seeking meaning in my life again
* tried psychology and self-help books - very short term results

RETURN to CHRIST
* Approx Nov. 2006 saw street preacher outside shopping centre, only heard a few sentences but he jogged my memory
* decided to investigate online again
* Christian apologetics websites convinced me intellectually
decided to read bible books again, first one was Book of Hosea (realised I was as bad as Hosea's wife spiritually speaking)
* then decided to read Book of Proverbs, my spiritual eyes were opened and I truly repented of my sins and believed in Jesus Christ
* went to a local church where a woman introduced herself and I ended up joining a woman's bible study group who all had difficult marriages/ unbelieving husbands
* moved again, unable to attend church- in process I ended up listening to so many sermons that I realised so much that I had not been taught in Charismatic churches - the whole GOSPEL.
* Before surgery I thought I was a spiritual Christian, but had poor understanding of the bible. I was a very shallow believer.
During my deepest depression (2008- 2010) I learnt about WHY Jesus had died for us, what it all actually MEANT for us personally.

----
CONCLUSION
* I had been extremely deceived by worldly wisdom. Later when I read that neuro-psychology book again out of curiousity I realised that the researcher took verses of the bible completely out-of-context on purpose to pretend that brain diseases are the major cause of religious experiences.
* If you read many non-Christians' responses online, no matter which faith or non-Faith position they come from, they use similar strategies with the bible to defend their anti-Christianity position.

Hope above points explain why I am so focused on getting the foundations of faith established, strong and firm against the attacks of Satan so other Christians who read what I type do not go through what I did.

rainerann

Star
It's not entirely a conversion story as much of a testimony I guess, but here is the biography of Eric Liddell. I just love his story. It is simple and peaceful. He was an Olympic gold medalist in 1924 who spent his life as a missionary in China after this. They made a movie about his life called Chariots of Fire, which was also a good movie.

lol - who cares if you think Catholic is christian not christian yada yada yada... Catholics are trinitarians like you Lisa, and believe that Jesus is God, son of God who died for your sins just like you Lisa. That's the point.

JoChris

Superstar
lol - who cares if you think Catholic is christian not christian yada yada yada... Catholics are trinitarians like you Lisa, and believe that Jesus is God, son of God who died for your sins just like you Lisa. That's the point.
same logic:
Sunni, Shia and Sufi - all believe in one God Allah, all believe in final prophet Muhammad.

Therefore you're all the exactly the same, stop fighting with each other.

:D

same logic:
Sunni, Shia and Sufi - all believe in one God Allah, all believe in final prophet Muhammad.

Therefore you're all the exactly the same, stop fighting with each other.

:D
Not even close but you wouldn't know...
when you were a catholic did you believe in the trinity? did you beliee Jesus is God and son of God? did you believe that he died for the sins of mankind? I rest my case. Lisa's contention with Catholics is not based on those core beliefs.

JoChris

Superstar
For less flippant answer now:

Catholics versus Protestants split due to this major difference: 5 solas. https://www.gotquestions.org/five-solas.html
* Scripture alone versus Scripture PLUS Church doctrine
* Faith alone = salvation versus Faith PLUS Good works = salvation
* (God's) Grace alone versus Grace PLUS good works
* Christ Alone versus Christ PLUS (Mary + Saints + Church etc)
* Glory of God Alone versus Glory to God PLUS Glory to Roman Catholic Church

Irreconcilable differences.

Lisa

Superstar
Do they believe that...then what's Mary about? Or the Eucharist? They've got a different gospel to Christianity...that's why there was a split from catholocism.

JoChris

Superstar
Not even close but you wouldn't know...
when you were a catholic did you believe in the trinity? did you beliee Jesus is God and son of God? did you believe that he died for the sins of mankind? I rest my case. Lisa's contention with Catholics is not based on those core beliefs.
Did you know the Roman Catholic Church still has pronounced curses on those who do not adhere to her doctrines?

They still agree with the Council of Trent 1547. http://www.thecounciloftrent.com/ch6.htm

Half way down: Justification section.
Lots of fancy language there, so here are some translations from the still accursed Protestants.

https://carm.org/council-trent-canons-justification
http://reformedanswers.org/answer.asp/file/43371