- Jun 4, 2017
Fortunately, there are people out there (many who have gotten out, themselves), who do outreach work for those still hopelessly stuck in this lifestyle (death syle, really).
While I don't believe punitive measures are a solution (at all), they do serve as sort of a *pause* in the course of the victim's lifestyle.
EXCERPT TIME MAGAZINE ARTICLE
Until recently, most jurisdictions in the U.S. have focused their energy on arresting prostituted women— according to records from the Department of Justice, more than 43,000 women were arrested for prostitution-related offenses in 2010, compared to just over 19,000 men (this number includes johns, pimps, and male sex workers).
But since 2011, Sheriff Dart’s office has organized the “National Day of Johns Arrests,” now re-named “National Johns Suppression Initiative,” a series of stings coordinated with other jurisdictions over the course of several weeks, aimed at encouraging a permanent change in police practices.
Dart’s office now arrests just as many johns per year as sex workers, and with a radically different agenda— while clients are hit with a ticket and fine that can reach $1,300, sex workers are arrested and then offered counseling and job training through the Sheriff’s Women’s Justice Program, which is run by sex trafficking survivors. 60% of the money collected from johns’ fines goes to support the Women’s Justice Program, the other 40% goes to juvenile justice programs. Cook county does johns stings year-round, but the national initiative happens a few times a year.
Rather than creating a compassionless situation that essentially erases these women from the public radar, it is an effort toward a viable solution to save and change their lives. More importantly, it is manned (if you will) by women-- survivors-- with the experience to reach these people, right where they are-- that is, they will believe it is possible. That is the real battle imo.