Satan: Who is he?

phipps

Star
Where did sin begin or originate?

1 John 3:8, says, “He who sins is of the devil, for the devil has sinned from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that He might destroy the works of the devil."

Satan has been a murderer and a liar from the beginning.

John 8:44, “You are of your father the devil, and the desires of your father you want to do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own resources, for he is a liar and the father of it."

Where did Satan come from?

Satan was once an angel in heaven. Revelation 12:7-9, “And war broke out in heaven: Michael and his angels fought with the dragon; and the dragon and his angels fought, but they did not prevail, nor was a place found for them in heaven any longer. So the great dragon was cast out, that serpent of old, called the Devil and Satan, who deceives the whole world; he was cast to the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.”

Why did God create Satan?

Satan was not created sinful. He was created perfect and chosen to be closest to God out of all the angels. Ezekiel 28:14, “You were the anointed cherub who covers; I established you; you were on the holy mountain of God; you walked back and forth in the midst of fiery stones.”

phipps

Star
Why did Satan rebel?

Pride led to Satan’s fall. Ezekiel 28:17, “Your heart was lifted up because of your beauty; You corrupted your wisdom for the sake of your splendor; I cast you to the ground, I laid you before kings, That they might gaze at you.”

Satan, known as Lucifer before he sinned, wanted to be equal with God.

Isaiah 14:12-14, “How you are fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! . . . . For you have said in your heart: ‘I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God; I will also sit on the mount of the congregation on the farthest sides of the north; I will ascend above the heights of the clouds, I will be like the Most High.’”

Satan wants to be worshiped as the ruler of this earth.

Matthew 4:8-9, “Again, the devil took Him [Jesus] up on an exceedingly high mountain, and showed Him all the kingdoms of the world and their glory. And he said to Him, ‘All these things I will give You if You will fall down and worship me.’ ”

In contrast to Satan’s pride and self-exaltation, what spirit did Jesus have?

Philippians 2:5-8, “Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus, who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God, but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men. And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross.”

Satan’s supernatural forces are waging a war against God and His people.

Ephesians 6:11-12, “Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places."

Is the devil in charge of hell?

No, hell was made to destroy the devil. Matthew 25:41, “Then He will also say to those on the left hand, ‘Depart from Me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels.”

Is the devil in hell?

Satan lives on earth—not underground in hell. Job 1: 6-7, “Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan also came among them. And the LORD said to Satan, “From where do you come?” So Satan answered the LORD and said, “From going to and fro on the earth, and from walking back and forth on it.”

phipps

Star
What does Satan look like?

Satan can appear as a beautiful angel of light. He is not a grotesque figure with horns. 2 Corinthians 11:14, “And no wonder! For Satan himself transforms himself into an angel of light.”

Satan spends his time inflicting his anger against the human race.

Revelation 12:12, “…Woe to the inhabitants of the earth and the sea! For the devil has come down to you, having great wrath, because he knows that he has a short time.”

The devil is our enemy.
1 Peter 5:8,
“Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour.”

How can I overcome the devil?

Revelation 12:11, “And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony, and they did not love their lives to the death.”

Satan is a defeated enemy.

1 John 4:4, “You are of God, little children, and have overcome them, because He who is in you is greater than he who is in the world.”

phipps

Star
More about Satan being cast down to earth.

Revelation 12:7-9, "And war broke out in heaven: Michael and his angels fought with the dragon; and the dragon and his angels fought, but they did not prevail, nor was a place found for them in heaven any longer. So the great dragon was cast out, that serpent of old, called the Devil and Satan, who deceives the whole world; he was cast to the earth, and his angels were cast out with him."

This is about the war in heaven. What was the nature of that war that resulted in Satan’s expulsion from heaven?
Satan was cast out of heaven when he rebelled against God’s government. He wanted to seize God’s throne in heaven and to be “like the most High” (Isaiah 14:12-15). He stood in open revolt against God but was defeated and exiled on earth.

However, by deceiving Adam and Eve, Satan usurped Adam’s rule over this world (Luke 4:6). As the self-proclaimed ruler of this world (John 12:31), Satan claimed the right to attend the heavenly council as earth’s representative (Job 1:6-12). However, since his defeat at the cross, Satan and his fallen angels have been confined to the earth as a prison, until they receive their punishment (2 Peter 2:4, Jude 6).

By His death, Jesus redeemed what was lost, and Satan’s true character was revealed before the universe. “Satan saw that his disguise was torn away. His administration was laid open before the unfallen angels and before the heavenly universe. He had revealed himself as a murderer. By shedding the blood of the Son of God, he had uprooted himself from the sympathies of the heavenly beings. Henceforth his work was restricted”. Ds, p. 761. Before the whole universe, the rule over the earth was transferred from Satan to Jesus, and He was proclaimed the legitimate ruler over the earth (Ephesians 1:20-22, Philippians 2:9-11).

Jesus foretold this event saying: “Now is the judgment of this world; now the ruler of this world will be cast out” (John 12:31).

With this judgment on Satan, the “salvation and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of His Christ have come” (Revelation 12:10). Satan still has limited power to harm God’s people on earth, but it is with a realization that “he has a short time” left (Revelation 12:12). Although his time is indeed “short”, he is doing all that he can to cause pain, suffering, and havoc here.

Last edited:

phipps

Star
What is the great controversy theme?

The great controversy is a cosmic war that has enveloped our world. It is ultimately between Jesus Christ and Satan. It’s a conflict that began in heaven when Satan rebelled against God’s law of love and selflessness, choosing to instead be driven by sin, which is rooted in selfishness and pride.

God had no choice but to cast Lucifer—together with the angels he convinced to follow him—out of heaven. From there, Lucifer, now known as Satan, came to this earth where he deceived the first humans and has been working to hurt God by hurting people in every way imaginable—war, disasters, murder, illness, and more.

But even though it seems like Satan is successful right now, he won’t always be.

God is giving him time to show the whole universe his true colours. At the same time, God has revealed His selfless law of love through Christ’s life and death. In the end, Christ will be victorious over Satan, destroying sin and evil forever.

phipps

Star
Why didn’t God destroy Satan and his angels immediately?

If Satan and his angels were ruining the atmosphere of heaven, we’d think the easiest solution would have been to zap them out of existence. But to do so would have painted God as a tyrant who destroys anyone who dares to oppose Him; it would’ve contradicted His character of love. Thus, God gave Satan time to show who he really was. Both angels and people needed to see God’s character versus Satan’s character so that they could choose who to follow.

To understand why, consider what might have been going on in the minds of the other angels.

They admired Lucifer as one of the highest angels in God’s kingdom. When he began spreading his rebellion, he would have been sneaky, making it seem as though he wanted the best for the angels.

So, if God had destroyed Lucifer immediately, the other angels would have wondered, Maybe Lucifer was right after all!

They might have rebelled too. Or if they continued serving God, they would have done so out of fear rather than love.

And remember, God wants His kingdom to operate on love!

Thus, He knew that the universe would need time to see the contrast between Him and Satan, love and selfishness. Everyone needed to be convinced in their hearts. They also needed the opportunity to choose for themselves whether to follow God or follow Satan.

That’s why we still see the battle between good and evil raging today.

“Evil must be permitted to come to maturity. For the good of the entire universe through ceaseless ages, Satan must more fully develop his principles, that his charges against the divine government might be seen in their true light by all created beings, that the justice and mercy of God and the immutability [unchanging nature] of His law might forever be placed beyond all question.” GC p. 498

Last edited:

phipps

Star
How does Satan wage war against Christ on this earth?

When Satan was cast out of heaven, he found other ways to take jabs against Christ. He started by tempting Adam and Eve and painting God as a selfish liar (Genesis 3:1-5). When Christ came to this earth, He constantly faced the attacks and temptations of Satan. And because Satan failed to bring Christ down, he continues to try to hurt Christ by hurting His people.

No wonder Revelation 12:12 says, “Woe to the inhabitants of the earth and the sea! For the devil has come down to you, having great wrath, because he knows that he has a short time.”

Another verse tells us that “your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour” (1 Peter 5:8).

In the Garden of Eden, Satan (through the serpent) tried to plant doubts about God’s character in Eve’s mind. He painted God as a selfish liar for holding back the fruit of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil (Genesis 3:1-7).

And he has continued to use deception and lies about God’s character to turn people away from Him (John 8:44).

He has also persecuted God’s people (Revelation 12:17) and wreaked all kinds of havoc—suffering, death, and disease (Job 1-3).

Here are a few samples of how this has played out throughout history:

-
Satan led the people before the flood into darkness and evil (Genesis 6:5-6).

- In the time of the judges and kings of Israel, Satan tried to turn God’s people away from Him and to idols (Judges 2:11-19).

- Satan targeted Jesus during His time on this earth but failed to make Him fall.

- During the time of the early Christian church, Satan used persecution to try to hurt the influence of God’s followers (Acts 7:59; 8:1).

- The persecution lessened during the time of the Dark Ages, but Satan led many in the church to compromise their faith instead. Most lost sight of Bible truths, and only a small group of people remained faithful to God.

- During the Protestant Reformation, great reformers—such as John Wycliffe, Huss and Jerome, and Martin Luther—uncovered forgotten truths through Bible study. As this happened, Satan revived persecution against God’s people. The History of Protestantism, volumes 1-4, by James Wylie, is an in-depth look at the Protestant Reformation and the persecution that happened during that time.

- In the end times, Satan will make war against those who “keep the commandments of God and have the testimony of Jesus Christ” (Revelation 12:17).

If God were to prevent the bad things Satan desires to do, Satan would cry “unfair” and argue that God is afraid to let him carry out his manner of government. So to a certain extent, God must let Satan show his method of ruling. The result is sorrow and pain today on earth.

But thankfully, God will not allow Satan to do his dirty work forever.

Last edited:

A Freeman

Superstar
What is the great controversy theme?

The great controversy is a cosmic war that has enveloped our world. It is ultimately between Jesus Christ and Satan. It’s a conflict that began in heaven when Satan rebelled against God’s law of love and selflessness, choosing to instead be driven by sin, which is rooted in selfishness and pride.

God had no choice but to cast Lucifer—together with the angels he convinced to follow him—out of heaven.
In other words, God cast Lucifer/Satan TO THE EARTH, along with his angels -- all of us here on Earth who fought against God and Prince Michael/Christ in the war -- with him.

Matthew 7:11 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask Him?

Matthew 25:41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into Everlasting Fire, prepared for the devil and his angels (YOU that do not DO God's Will):

Luke 9:55 But he turned, and rebuked them, and said, Ye know not what kind of spirit ye are of (Rev. 12:7-9; Matt. 8:22).

This isn't controversy; it is well-established (over the past 6000+ years) fact.

From there, Lucifer, now known as Satan, came to this earth where he deceived the first humans and has been working to hurt God by hurting people in every way imaginable—war, disasters, murder, illness, and more.
And sadly, most still are listening to and obeying Satan and his seductive voice, disguised as the ego/"self" within each of us.

Through our egos, Satan has conned us into accepting virtually all of his worldly institutions, including corporate fictional governments, corporate fictional organized religions, corporate fictional chemical, pharmaceutical and "health care" related facilities, factories and services, corporate fictional courts where human legislation is administered and enforced instead of God's Law, and the corporate fictional military industrial complex, used to start wars (funding both sides of every conflict), murder people and destroy buildings and infrastructure, so the corporate fictional banks that control virtually everything can refinance the rebuild and then start the cycle again.

We do NOT need ANY of these worldly institutions for anything. It should be obvious that none of the people associated with any of these institutions are working for God or doing His Will.

But even though it seems like Satan is successful right now, he won’t always be.
Agreed. Satan and all those who still follow and obey him are headed for The Fire on Judgement Day (soon).

God is giving him time to show the whole universe his true colours.
And to give all of us the time to repent of our sinful/evil/criminal ways, and turn back to God, His Christ and God's Selfless Law of Love.

At the same time, God has revealed His selfless law of love through Christ’s life and death.
And resurrection from the dead, to physically show all of us that there is spiritual (eternal) life after the death of the human body.

In the end, Christ will be victorious over Satan, destroying sin and evil forever.
Agreed (1 John 3:8). And those who are WITH Christ (Matt. 12:30), i.e. the "Elect" (Rev. 14:1-4), who are called, chosen and faithful(l), will very obviously be learning to keep The Law (Heb. 8:10-12), as there is no other way to eliminate sin (1 John 3:4).

TokiEl

Superstar
2 Cor 4 4The god of this age has blinded the minds of unbelievers so they cannot see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.

Satan in the bible is called the god of this age.

In this verse satan is said to be the source of unbelief in the gospel of Christ (who is the image of God).

Satan as god of this age was prophesied to establish himself with five statements or pillars of intent on the same mount as God.

I will ascend to the heavens.

I will raise my throne above the stars of God.

I will sit on the mount of assembly in the far reaches of the north.

I will ascend above the tops of the clouds.

I will make myself like the Most High.

Luke 3 21When all the people were being baptized, Jesus was baptized too. And as He was praying, heaven was opened, 22and the Holy Spirit descended on Him in a bodily form like a dove. And a voice came from heaven: “You are My beloved Son; in You I am well pleased.”

(19:35) It does not befit Allah to take for Himself a son. Glory be to Him! When He decrees a thing He only says: "Be" and it is.22

2 Cor 4 4The god of this age has blinded the minds of unbelievers so they cannot see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.

Last edited:

Zakat

Star

Satan in the bible is called the god of this age.

In this verse satan is said to be the source of unbelief in the gospel of Christ (who is the image of God).

Satan as god of this age was prophesied to establish himself with five statements or pillars of intent on the same mount as God.

I will ascend to the heavens.

I will raise my throne above the stars of God.

I will sit on the mount of assembly in the far reaches of the north.

I will ascend above the tops of the clouds.

I will make myself like the Most High.

Luke 3 21When all the people were being baptized, Jesus was baptized too. And as He was praying, heaven was opened, 22and the Holy Spirit descended on Him in a bodily form like a dove. And a voice came from heaven: “You are My beloved Son; in You I am well pleased.”

(19:35) It does not befit Allah to take for Himself a son. Glory be to Him! When He decrees a thing He only says: "Be" and it is.22

There is no physical image that befits God, who always was, while there was not even nothing.

In God's Image to me spells spiritual understanding as in spiritual image.

For example, the sky gives an idea of His Incomprehensible Greatness, which is why Muslims are constantly uttering "Allahu Akbar", "God Is Greater" than any object of contemplation, and just how insignificantly small and tiny everything is in His Eyes.

phipps

Star
Satan knows the Bible.

He said to Jesus, “If You are the Son of God, throw Yourself down. For it is written: ‘He shall give His angels charge over you,’ and, ‘In their hands they shall bear you up, Lest you dash your foot against a stone ’ ” (Matthew 4:6).

The devil is an expert at quoting and misquoting the Bible for the purpose of deceiving people. That is why it is essential that God's people know the Scriptures for themselves to avoid being misled.

TokiEl

Superstar
How stupid can you be?
?

John 1 1In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2He was with God in the beginning. 3Through Him all things were made, and without Him nothing was made that has been made. 4In Him was life, and that life was the light of men. 5The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.
9The true Light who gives light to every man was coming into the world. 10He was in the world, and though the world was made through Him, the world did not recognize Him. 11He came to His own, and His own did not receive Him. 12But to all who did receive Him, to those who believed in His name, He gave the right to become children of God— 13children born not of blood, nor of the desire or will of man, but born of God.

14The Word became flesh and made His dwelling among us. We have seen His glory, the glory of the one and only Sonc from the Father, full of grace and truth.

It's in the Scriptures.

The Word/Logos of God who made the world... incarnated in a human body.

?

phipps

Star
Satan has power.

Satan was created an angel. And a high ranking angel too which means he was created with certain abilities/powers that we as human beings don't posses because angels are higher beings than us.

However the power Satan has is power that God allows him to have. And we as humans give him power over us when we allow him to influence our lives.

We see in Job chapters 1 and 2 that Satan received limited power over Job's family then over Job too.

Job 1:8-12, "Then the Lord said to Satan, “Have you considered My servant Job, that there is none like him on the earth, a blameless and upright man, one who fears God and shuns evil?” So Satan answered the Lord and said, “Does Job fear God for nothing? Have You not made a hedge around him, around his household, and around all that he has on every side? You have blessed the work of his hands, and his possessions have increased in the land. But now, stretch out Your hand and touch all that he has, and he will surely curse You to Your face!” And the Lord said to Satan, “Behold, all that he has is in your power; only do not lay a hand on his person.” So Satan went out from the presence of the Lord.

phipps

Star
Satan can perform miracles.

Miracles are one of the ways God shows/proves evidence of His power and authority. Hebrews 2:4 says, “God also bearing witness both with signs, and wonder, with various miracles, and gifts of the Holy Spirit, according to His own will?”

Miracles are to glorify God. Matthew 9:7-8, “And he arose and departed to his house. Now when the multitudes saw it, they marveled and glorified God, who had given such power to men.”

There is nothing that is impossible with God. Jeremiah 32:27, “Behold, I am the LORD, the God of all flesh. Is there anything too hard for Me?”

While miracles are a sign of God's ministry, one needs to be alert, for Satan can perform miracles too. It’s in the Bible, Revelation 16:14, "For they are spirits of demons, performing signs, which go out to the kings of the earth and of the whole world, to gather them to the battle of that great day of God Almighty."

However Satan's "miracles" are counterfeit miracles like Pharaoh's magicians and sorcerers (Exodus 7).