Do You Watch Tv Or Not?

Haich

Superstar
I was brainwashed by the media. I would see some of the people on TV and I really wanted to be like them. Plus even young people can be lonely. I was lonely and I felt like media figures were my friends. It's not good. My mom used to prevent me from watching the Simpsons and I didn't like that and I didn't understand. Now that I'm older, I am glad my mom kept that show away from me. It's an evil show and my mom intuitively knew that and that's why she protected me from its influence when I was at my most vulnerable. If I want to watch it now as an adult that's one thing. But I didn't need to watch that as child. Even as an adult I don't want to watch the Simpsons. None of us are totally immune to brainwashing. The TV programs us on an unconscious level. We all just like to flatter ourselves and pretend we are immune and I simply don't think that's true. And these kids are watching TV and listening to music and copying these people from the entertainment industry. I don't think the kids are the ones who should be blamed. We should be mad at the adults. The adults have sold these kids out and have left them vulnerable to evil influences. They won't take a stand and tell the youth the truth that they need to know about these celebrities that they idolize. This is your son. He is precious. You don't have to feel guilty about being "extreme" in protecting your son. I would be very extreme in protecting my child. It drives me crazy when I saw my nephew being raised by the television. They make the shows "educational" so my sister could feel better. I love my sister but I have to be real. Letting her son be raised by television wasn't about him "not missing out" and being educated. It was about convenience. The TV will educate the child into being zombie and I don't have any channels and I don't want any channels and I don't think I'm missing out at all. I'm glad to hear that your husband is intelligent. I think he's completely right in his assessment of the BBC and I think his anger is a sign of intelligence. Your son is blessed. He has an intelligent, passionate father and he has a mother who loves him.

As a child I wanted to watch rated R movies and play Grand Theft Auto and watch the Simpsons and consume all this media that my mom protected me against. I wanted all that stuff but I respected my mom's authority in the matter. We fought all the time but that was never something we fought over. My friends were so shocked because they were allowed to watch rated R movies but I had never been allowed to watch rated R movies so it didn't really bother me. I was just used to it. Now that I'm older, I love my mom for protecting me against those influences. Not only was she not extreme but I think actually she wasn't extreme enough. I think she felt like you and she didn't want to be "extreme". But we are dealing with a psychological war against us. Look at all the satanic stuff in media. It would be one thing if they were showing rebellious teenagers smoking cigarettes and wearing leather jackets and riding motorcycles. But they're really going so far that they're actually pushing satanism on the youth and all this weird subliminal stuff. Isn't that extreme? They are pushing extreme things and so I think we have to counter with an extremism in an opposite direction. If there is 100 pounds on one end of a scale, then the scale becomes balanced by placing 100 pounds on the opposite end of the scale.

I don't think it's wrong to feel anger. I think anger is an expression of pain. Someone who doesn't care about people isn't going to get angry about the TV being used a tool to brainwash people. It doesn't hurt that person to see other people being brainwashed. But the person who cares will see that other people are being brainwashed and it is painful for them and it worries them.

I deal with anger and my mom deals with it. I think because we both have had to deal with pain. My mom very often doesn't want to think critically about things and so we've directed our anger at each other. It's normal, natural and a sign of intelligence for a person in this world to feel angry. The problem is society's anger gets misdirected. The ordinary people direct their anger at each other. Look at all these street criminals. Pancho Villa, who is loved by generations of my family, and Malcolm X both started out as criminals. They became loved figures when they took their anger and they applied it in a good direction. All these street criminals could be using their anger as fuel to drive them to transform society and make the world a better place. Instead of wasting their energy in pointless, petty conflicts amongst themselves, they could unite against the real enemies and start making changes. This is why people like Malcolm are so dangerous for the powerful. In order to maintain power, the elite has to get rid of people like Malcolm so that- rather than the people applying their legitimate anger in legitimate directions- their anger gets wasted pointlessly in victimizing each other. Common enemies bring people together. Donald Trump really has encouraged unity amongst my family and also among Latinos. Me and my mom might disagree about a lot but I was horrified to see him elected and so was she. So was my brother. So were a lot of people. It's probably the same with Muslims. You might disagree with other Muslims about some things but if you can bring up Donald Trump and suddenly you might find yourselves agreeing with each other. That creates bonding.

So when your husband is bothered and upset when he sees that the BBC is brainwashing people- I think it can really be a bonding experience if you share his frustration and it can be an opportunity for you both to be at each other's side. I don't normally find movies romantic but I remember seeing a zombie movie- I forget if it was 28 Days Later or 28 Weeks Later- where this man and this woman were fighting zombies alongside each other and I was so in love with that woman. If you're being attacked by zombies, I don't think there's anything more attractive than a woman who will fight the zombies right alongside you.

You and your husband could talk critically about the media brainwashing and whatever else is going on in society and then when your son is older the two of you can both sit down and teach him. He'll be glad that his parents are really giving him knowledge rather than some vapid nonsense and he can learn how to think critically so as he gets older and he finds himself around misguided people, he will be capable of thinking for himself and he won't drift from the values you've instilled in him. And if you teach him about how the media brainwashes people then he won't even want to be watching TV all day or anything like that. And if he's grown up without the TV, he won't miss it in the first place. He would be in a home that encourages him to think and develop his mind.

If you take the TV out the home, you would be the mom that I wish I had. It breaks my heart to fly across the country and come to my mom's house and see that the TV is on the whole time and to feel trapped in a zombifying atmosphere. The atmosphere I have tried to describe, I picture as a liberating atmosphere- one where your family can be liberated from the zombifying atmosphere that may predominate in other places.
You know I really needed to hear that. You're right if he's never watched tv in the first place, why would he miss it? The desire to watch TV would never have been planted in him so he's not missing out.

It's nice you didn't watch the Simpsons or play violent video games but unfortunately I had quite a mischievous uncle and mum who didn't really understand the dangers of TV and video games for kids. I used to play Call of duty and GTA religiously, I definitely feel it gave my natural shy deposition a facelift and I became quite aggressive and easily annoyed.

There's definitely something liberating about being TV free. I believe education frees the mind and TV is such a poisonous tool which sways public opinion and brainwashes young people. As adults we're more switched on but as a high school teacher I definitely see how teenagers are a product of this narcissistic TV culture. They hardly read and teaching them a basic literature class on Romeo and Juliet is the most tiresome thing in the world. People have lost their love for books, reading is such an important too I want to inspire my son into turning to a book instead of switching channels

Yh my husband is the biggest conspiracy theorist. He'd be on this website if he didn't hate technology so much lol. He just about uses whatsapp but I could learn a lot from him.

Haich

Superstar
Well, that just means he'd have more time for a smart phone ;)
I'm so glad when I had small kids that there were no smart phones...I was able to give my kids a lot of attention :)

You're so lucky I was raised without a smart phone and was 17 when I first got one! You're right though smart phones are craze too but it would absurd to ban it, just teach them to use it with discretion

Anyway, my children didn't watch much tv with me and my son rarely watches it and my daughter watches it all the time, so ya never know. Like the people that limit sugar for their kids, some grow up and eat the sugar they were never allowed, you just never know.
All you can do is educate your kids and try to provide a wholesome upbringing. What they do when they're of age is ultimately their choice we just need to guide them...children are more easily influenced pre teen in my opinion

Fleur D'Amour

Rookie
What do you write about if you don't mind me asking? I write children's stories in my free time. Hopefully can read it to my children one day
I do creative, role-playing writing on forums and the like. It's kind of like directing your own stories about your own characters. There are different genres from fantasy to real-life. For example, I'm a part of a comic-book one (X Men) where I play/write as famed characters. Kind of like fan fiction if you've ever heard of that.

It might be a weird hobby, but I think it's one of many coping mechanisms I have for some ounce of control in an uncontrollable environment.

I'd like to write children's stories as well. We have that in common

Haich

Superstar
I do creative, role-playing writing on forums and the like. It's kind of like directing your own stories about your own characters. There are different genres from fantasy to real-life. For example, I'm a part of a comic-book one (X Men) where I play/write as famed characters. Kind of like fan fiction if you've ever heard of that.

It might be a weird hobby, but I think it's one of many coping mechanisms I have for some ounce of control in an uncontrollable environment.

I'd like to write children's stories as well. We have that in common
Sound pretty cool, I don't read fan fiction personally but I could see it appealing to a lot of people. I respect that it helps you writing I find is quite therapeutic for me too. I mostly write in a journal but the children stories are something I've been doing for a year. Give it try, release your inner child !

Tatilina

Star
No we don't watch TV, but hubby still loves to watch his Ghost show episodes on youtube. We watch them free and they are AD free (because of AD blocker) as well as no commercials. Most TV episodes can be found free of no cost on youtube. As soon as the latest episode is played on TV, people upload them afterwards.

mecca

Superstar
I've watched TV from a young age, I always saw it as entertainment and it didn't consume my life or affect me negatively. I still did other things but I definitely liked to sit down and enjoy a fun show. I've never had to go through the problem of idolizing celebrities or anything like that.

I think as long as you limit your child's TV time and make sure they understand what the right things are, it's ok for them to watch some shows.

Haich

Superstar
I've watched TV from a young age, I always saw it as entertainment and it didn't consume my life or affect me negatively. I still did other things but I definitely liked to sit down and enjoy a fun show. I've never had to go through the problem of idolizing celebrities or anything like that.
I guess you're quite lucky then, I do think TV affects everyone is someway e.g. their political stance. It also makes us more tolerant and accepting of things that aren't naturally normal for us to accept e.g. Transgenderism

Etagloc

Superstar
You know I really needed to hear that. You're right if he's never watched tv in the first place, why would he miss it? The desire to watch TV would never have been planted in him so he's not missing out.

It's nice you didn't watch the Simpsons or play violent video games but unfortunately I had quite a mischievous uncle and mum who didn't really understand the dangers of TV and video games for kids. I used to play Call of duty and GTA religiously, I definitely feel it gave my natural shy deposition a facelift and I became quite aggressive and easily annoyed.

There's definitely something liberating about being TV free. I believe education frees the mind and TV is such a poisonous tool which sways public opinion and brainwashes young people. As adults we're more switched on but as a high school teacher I definitely see how teenagers are a product of this narcissistic TV culture. They hardly read and teaching them a basic literature class on Romeo and Juliet is the most tiresome thing in the world. People have lost their love for books, reading is such an important too I want to inspire my son into turning to a book instead of switching channels

Yh my husband is the biggest conspiracy theorist. He'd be on this website if he didn't hate technology so much lol. He just about uses whatsapp but I could learn a lot from him.
The social media, the TV, all that- it promotes narcissism and it promotes the destruction of the child's attention span.

Secret Societies and Psychological Warfare by Michael Hoffman is a really good book that addresses how destructive all this technology is to our minds. Vigilant Citizen cites from that book a lot. Amusing Ourselves to Death is another good one. I think you should read those two books, have your husband read them and when your child gets older, I think around 12 or 13 I think you should give him Amusing Ourselves to Death. If you read the book, I think you might agree. Children around that age are intellectually curious I think and if you give your son that book, it may inspire him to direct that natural curiosity in a positive direction.... provided, of course, that you have protected your child from society's brainwashing and that you have protected him from the effects of a society that wants to kill his natural curiosity and dumb him down. If you take the TV out of the home and you yourself are reading and living out your beliefs- then you will be leading by example. And that's what kids actually watch.

The test of a theory is whether or not it can predict things. If you came to my house, you would see a lot of books. I have piles and piles of books. I'm in my early twenties. The difference between me and and many of my counterparts of my generation is that I have more of an attention span. You can't read and study things in depth without that. And it is reading and studying things in depth that cultivates the attention span.

Where it gets into me being able to successfully predict something- my co worker told me about- I think it was Snapchat. And I was able to guess that the videos on there are extremely short. Snapchat consists of people uploading extremely short videos. All the technology is about destroying people's attention spans so they can't think in a more than superficial way, thus dumbing them down.

Etagloc

Superstar

I think as long as you limit your child's TV time and make sure they understand what the right things are, it's ok for them to watch some shows.
If it affected you on an unconscious level, how would you know?

The TV is not necessarily or primarily aimed at the conscious mind- it's aimed at the unconscious mind. I don't think anyone is totally immune to it.

mecca

Superstar
If it affected you on an unconscious level, how would you know?

The TV is not necessarily or primarily aimed at the conscious mind- it's aimed at the unconscious mind. I don't think anyone is totally immune to it.
Yeah I know. I just mean it hasn't been too bad for me and I can understand that it's not real and I just use it for entertainment. Anyway I do agree that it does affect people subconsciously, but doesn't everything?

Etagloc

Superstar
Yeah I know. I just mean it hasn't been too bad for me and I can understand that it's not real and I just use it for entertainment. Anyway I do agree that it does affect people subconsciously, but doesn't everything?
You're 100% right. Pretty much everything affects us psychologically on some level.

That's why I try to be very careful about what I fill my head with. Psychological influence is neither good nor bad in and of itself. What makes it good or bad is how it impacts us. So I try to fill my head with that which I consider beneficial.

Haich

Superstar
The social media, the TV, all that- it promotes narcissism and it promotes the destruction of the child's attention span.

Secret Societies and Psychological Warfare by Michael Hoffman is a really good book that addresses how destructive all this technology is to our minds. Vigilant Citizen cites from that book a lot. Amusing Ourselves to Death is another good one. I think you should read those two books, have your husband read them and when your child gets older, I think around 12 or 13 I think you should give him Amusing Ourselves to Death. If you read the book, I think you might agree. Children around that age are intellectually curious I think and if you give your son that book, it may inspire him to direct that natural curiosity in a positive direction.... provided, of course, that you have protected your child from society's brainwashing and that you have protected him from the effects of a society that wants to kill his natural curiosity and dumb him down. If you take the TV out of the home and you yourself are reading and living out your beliefs- then you will be leading by example. And that's what kids actually watch.

The test of a theory is whether or not it can predict things. If you came to my house, you would see a lot of books. I have piles and piles of books. I'm in my early twenties. The difference between me and and many of my counterparts of my generation is that I have more of an attention span. You can't read and study things in depth without that. And it is reading and studying things in depth that cultivates the attention span.

Where it gets into me being able to successfully predict something- my co worker told me about- I think it was Snapchat. And I was able to guess that the videos on there are extremely short. Snapchat consists of people uploading extremely short videos. All the technology is about destroying people's attention spans so they can't think in a more than superficial way, thus dumbing them down.
I'll purchase that book it might give me more info of the dangers of TV. People may think I'm being over the top but honestly I've met people who didn't grow up on TV culture and they're so invested in releastic issues and can actively criticise what's promoted by the media and news. My attention span has definitely lacked as a result of this instant gratification culture TV promotes. Thank god university helped me regain some of it but I'm still a victim of TV. Binge watching it makes you so sedative and I can't see much good in tv

Etagloc

Superstar
I'll purchase that book it might give me more info of the dangers of TV. People may think I'm being over the top but honestly I've met people who didn't grow up on TV culture and they're so invested in releastic issues and can actively criticise what's promoted by the media and news. My attention span has definitely lacked as a result of this instant gratification culture TV promotes. Thank god university helped me regain some of it but I'm still a victim of TV. Binge watching it makes you so sedative and I can't see much good in tv
I would advise you to read both of the books I mentioned as well as Four Arguments for the Elimination of Television. If you read such books, you will have an in-depth and conscious understanding of what you already know intuitively. And your heart will not be moved if someone calls you extreme because you dare to think courageously and independently rather than following the blind masses. I believe Socrates' theory of education that Plato described in Meno. According to the Socratic theory of education, education is not about teaching you the truth. You already know the truth intuitively. Education is merely the process of reminding you what you already knew intuitively. It's similar to how converts to Islam are called reverts, as they are believed to merely to be reverting to their natural state.

I have no TV channels and I never feel like I'm missing out. I feel free and I don't care about polluting my mind with the garbage on TV.

As you study and gain an in-depth knowledge of precisely why you intuitively have an aversion to TV, you'll be able yo efucate others- provided that they are ready to listen. You can educate your son when he old enough to understand and young enough to be molded. And if you give him a book like Four Arguments and Amusing Ourselves to Death, then not only will he not feel strange or deprived- he will feel a positive sense of pride in being TV-free and a confidence in the mental powers he will have gained due to the intelligence of his parents in removing the TV from the home.

Besides, TV is boring if you're not used to it. I don't watch TV and I woukd be extremely bored and find it mind-numbing. I read books. I want a higher degree of intellectual stimulation than what TV provides.

I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set I go into the other room and read a book. -Groucho Marx

Haich

Superstar
I would advise you to read both of the books I mentioned as well as Four Arguments for the Elimination of Television. If you read such books, you will have an in-depth and conscious understanding of what you already know intuitively. And your heart will not be moved if someone calls you extreme because you dare to think courageously and independently rather than following the blind masses. I believe Socrates' theory of education that Plato described in Meno. According to the Socratic theory of education, education is not about teaching you the truth. You already know the truth intuitively. Education is merely the process of reminding you what you already knew intuitively. It's similar to how converts to Islam are called reverts, as they are believed to merely to be reverting to their natural state.

I have no TV channels and I never feel like I'm missing out. I feel free and I don't care about polluting my mind with the garbage on TV.

As you study and gain an in-depth knowledge of precisely why you intuitively have an aversion to TV, you'll be able yo efucate others- provided that they are ready to listen. You can educate your son when he old enough to understand and young enough to be molded. And if you give him a book like Four Arguments and Amusing Ourselves to Death, then not only will he not feel strange or deprived- he will feel a positive sense of pride in being TV-free and a confidence in the mental powers he will have gained due to the intelligence of his parents in removing the TV from the home.

Besides, TV is boring if you're not used to it. I don't watch TV and I woukd be extremely bored and find it mind-numbing. I read books. I want a higher degree of intellectual stimulation than what TV provides.

I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set I go into the other room and read a book. -Groucho Marx
You seem pretty switched on, did you study philosophy or something

Etagloc

Superstar
You seem pretty switched on, did you study philosophy or something
I don't think philosophy switches people on. It helps. But I think nothing quite gets the job done like some good old-fashioned misery. Misery will get the job done. Either the person will break and shatter into a thousand pieces or they will wake up. The person who breaks will become crippled. The person who refuses to break will be made stronger and access a higher understanding.

Therefore, what the world needs now is misery. If people spontaneously decided to become philosophers, this wouldn't be necessary. But people prefer the path of least resistance. That path doesn't involve asking questions. And so what the world needs now is misery, unfortunately. I don't love human misery but I understand its necesity. And so the world will get what it needs and as the pressure increases and the boiling point is reached, a new birth will occur. Birth is painful but ultimately it's worth it.

I used to be homeless and it was one of the worst things that ever happened to me and it was one of the best things that ever happened to me. I'd go through it all again.

To answer your question, I do have a lot of philosophy books and I could go on about philosophy. I love philosophy. But I also paid with suffering.

Last edited:

Mr. Blah

Veteran
No we don't watch TV, but hubby still loves to watch his Ghost show episodes on youtube. We watch them free and they are AD free (because of AD blocker) as well as no commercials. Most TV episodes can be found free of no cost on youtube. As soon as the latest episode is played on TV, people upload them afterwards.
Everyone loves freebies. :D

What adblocker do you use?
Mine is uBlock Origin.

Haich

Superstar
I don't think philosophy switches people on. It helps. But I think nothing quite gets the job done like some good old-fashioned misery. Misery will get the job done. Either the person will break and shatter into a thousand pieces or they will wake up. The person who breaks will become crippled. The person who refuses to break will be made stronger and access a higher understanding.

Therefore, what the world needs now is misery. If people spontaneously decided to become philosophers, this wouldn't be necessary. But people prefer the path of least resistance. That path doesn't involve asking questions. And so what the world needs now is misery, unfortunately. I don't love human misery but I understand its necesity. And so the world will get what it needs and as the pressure increases and the boiling point is reached, a new birth will occur. Birth is painful but ultimately it's worth it.

I used to be homeless and it was one of the worst things that ever happened to me and it was one of the best things that ever happened to me. I'd go through it all again.

To answer your question, I do have a lot of philosophy books and I could go on about philosophy. I love philosophy. But I also paid with suffering.
I see so it's experience which is your teacher. That's pretty real, I respect you took a time in your life where things were rough and you put a positive spin on it. You come across quite intelligent and I quite enjoy reading your comments.

Sometimes misery or a total breakdown of all that makes us secure, e.g. Family, job, spouse/partner etc. Is what we need in order to shed our old selves and emerge as new, more stable people. I can't say I've been homeless but I've definitely had my share of misery via heartbreak and i loved every minute of it. I learnt so much about life and just letting go of all the poisonous people I used to call friends. It's a hard lesson to learn and I'm sure some of the younger people on this site have yet to experience this but most of us probably have gone through things which tested our limits..

I'm a very God fearing person and I believe God puts these events and people in our life to better ourselves. It's his way of making sure we rely on him and not humans.