Coronavirus

Lisa

Superstar
Trumps doing it all wrong again...
We're doing something I love -planting a tree!' Donald Trump marks Earth Day at the White House with Melania's first public engagement since March - and a display of how NOT to socially distance
  • President Donald Trump marked Earth Day at the White House by planting a maple tree with Melania Trump on the South Lawn
  • 'We're doing something I love doing: planting trees,' he said
  • It was Melania Trump's first public appearance since March 10
  • First lady did not speak but helped with the planting
  • After tree was planted, the first couple ignored social distancing guidelines to chat in close quarters with the Pences and Cabinet officials
1587590286496.jpeg

A Freeman

Superstar

Tidal

Star
Well I read this below on the net but I still can't see the point of testing, so can anybody explain it to me?
And even if somebody is tested negative and given a clean bill of health, that's no guarantee they won't catch it later.
Is the whole testing thing a Monty Python-type hoax or what?
PS- I haven't been tested and don't plan to be, why the hell should i?

Why is testing important?
There are two main reasons for testing people - to diagnose them individually, and to work out how far the virus has spread.
Having this second piece of information could help the health service plan for extra demand, including on intensive care units.
Testing could also inform decisions around social distancing measures. For example, if large numbers of people were found to have already been infected, then a lockdown might become less necessary.
And not testing more widely means many people might be self-isolating for no reason, including NHS workers.

UnderAlienControl

Superstar
Well I read this below on the net but I still can't see the point of testing, so can anybody explain it to me?
And even if somebody is tested negative and given a clean bill of health, that's no guarantee they won't catch it later.
Is the whole testing thing a Monty Python-type hoax or what?
PS- I haven't been tested and don't plan to be, why the hell should i?

Why is testing important?
There are two main reasons for testing people - to diagnose them individually, and to work out how far the virus has spread.
Having this second piece of information could help the health service plan for extra demand, including on intensive care units.
Testing could also inform decisions around social distancing measures. For example, if large numbers of people were found to have already been infected, then a lockdown might become less necessary.
And not testing more widely means many people might be self-isolating for no reason, including NHS workers.
Wanna know why testing is important?

Testing is important for tracking. The virus? Hell no. You can't reliably track a respiratory illness.

No testing is important for tracking YOU.

Tidal

Star
I've seen estimates saying for every 8 people who catch the virus, only 1 will die, and the other 7 will make a full recovery.
That means that although millions will die, there'll still be more than enough people to keep the world running after it's all over.. :D
Or am I missing something?

rainerann

Star

justjess

Superstar
I've seen estimates saying for every 8 people who catch the virus, only 1 will die, and the other 7 will make a full recovery.
That means that although millions will die, there'll still be more than enough people to keep the world running after it's all over.. :D
Or am I missing something?
If you think 1 in 8 is an acceptable number I don’t think there is any point in conversing with you tbh

Aero

Superstar
I agree with the idea that the virus has been in the U.S for a while. Did it originate in the U.S though? I have some doubts, mainly because wild birds aren't dying. I'm talking specifically about Crows. Now, I've read some reports of potentially different bird flues going around, and the reports are, they are fatal. And birds could easily spread COVID-19 or other bird flues to humans, so we should pay attention.

We are right on the edge of prime Crow migrations. They are flying around looking for mates and eating whatever garbage they can find. Of course, there are plenty of factors at play that could be the reason Crows aren't dying. But the fact remains, Crows are everywhere, and we haven't heard of them getting sick or spreading COVID-19.

In fact, my 3 Crow familiars look pristine. So I don't buy the idea that COVID-19 lives on surfaces like plastic for up to 3 days. That's some pseudo-science at best, and fear-mongering at worst. Half a dumpster diving Crows day is spent pecking through plastic trash bags, so yeah, please tell me another story.