Coronavirus

intoxifaded

Rookie
I wonder if reusable masks would be helpful for the shortage? I have some masks that are used to festivals in the desert, to block out the intense dust, and they can be thrown into the washer with bleach easily. They have sequins on the outside, so there's somewhat of a barrier between the fabric and the outside. It's not medical grade or anything, but wouldn't the use of somethings like that in addition to Lysol spray/wipes be enough for a quarantine situation?

justjess

Superstar
They say all the masks - even medical grade - just prevent a sick person from passing on germs, they don’t protect you from getting the germs.

Wigi

Veteran
'Better dead than rude'
Haha so true, I laughed so hard at that.
I wonder if people will realize that this kind of pandemic could more easily occur in a globalized world without borders.
Some say it is racist to close all our borders yet inaction led to de facto racism toward Chinese /Asian looking people.

In my city, people avoid Asian restaurants or any restaurants with Asian workers while others cover their face when an Asian looking person enters a room.

Vixy

Star
I know someone IRL who was in China working on an art project when the virus broke out. They were quarantined in China for a week, not allowed to leave the building, said it was a "ghost town". They were evacuated out and came back to Santa Clarita 6 days ago...they didn't quarantine them. The say they don't have the virus, but is it really possible to tell within the 6 days they've been back?

Having this personal experience is weirding me out. I'm not close to this person by any means, but I commented on their photo weeks ago saying "What are the chances you'd be in China when this is happening??"

Knowing that they're not quarantined here in California while they were in China doesn't sit right with me, why are some people being quarantined and others aren't?

For what its worth, this guy is very White, and that makes me wonder if they're not going to quarantine non-Asian people, or if he just happened to miss the time period that they decided to quarantine people who came back recently. It's hard to believe that a difference of 6 days determines whether someone is quarantined or not, if they weren't allowed out in China, why are they being allowed out here?

I'm not sure if the identities of those who are quarantined have been released, or if they're being kept a secret, but I really hope the government isn't making a simple mistake of letting some people out into the city based on ethnicity not matching the demographic.
6 days no? Sweden has been quarantining the woman who suspectedly had it for weeks now. 6 days... =They want it to spread.

Cintra

Star
BBC today.

The first bit is a bit scarey.

The number of people infected by the coronavirus in the UK has doubled to eight - after four more patients tested positive for the virus.

It comes as the government issued new powers in England to keep people in quarantine to stop the virus spreading.

In order to do this the Department of Health has described the coronavirus as a "serious and imminent threat" to public health.
Yay! Police state!!!

Cintra

Star

Sam

Rookie
The end of the world has just started since 25 Dec 2019 ✝
Dumb scientists had predicted meteorite while it was only a tiny virus...

Capella81

https://shop.economist.com/products/the-world-in-2019

I think the cover of the 2019 Economist last year predicted this. The stork carried a bar code with a number, I think thats the world population minus almost a billion. The Horses are positioned looking towards North America. Idk theres rumours that the Corona virus started in Canada or here, (I am in the good Old US of A) ☺. And also the Panda (which represents China I think) is directly above the stork. I tried to upload a screenshot of the cover but it wouldn't let me so I tried to provide a working link above. I could be wrong. But I've been thinking about this and its been bugging me so I thought I share my thoughts here. Let me know what you guys think.

Cintra

Star
https://shop.economist.com/products/the-world-in-2019

I think the cover of the 2019 Economist last year predicted this. The stork carried a bar code with a number, I think thats the world population minus almost a billion. The Horses are positioned looking towards North America. Idk theres rumours that the Corona virus started in Canada or here, (I am in the good Old US of A) ☺. And also the Panda (which represents China I think) is directly above the stork. I tried to upload a screenshot of the cover but it wouldn't let me so I tried to provide a working link above. I could be wrong. But I've been thinking about this and its been bugging me so I thought I share my thoughts here. Let me know what you guys think.
And there is a pangolin in the corner!!!

OMG!

intoxifaded

Rookie

I think CNN isn't really respected here as a good source, but it's definitely a source for what's out in the mainstream news,and the death toll just "officially" passed 1,000.

I was in Vegas 3 weeks ago when I learned that this had started becoming news...It's pretty freaky to think that something that was just a passing headline has seemingly caused this much destruction in less than a month.

I definitely don't believe any one who's trying to act smart by saying "actually, the common flu kills more people per year".

Whether or not it's the real reported deaths, it's already nearly equivalent to the flu, and if the numbers are higher than they're really reporting then it's way more deadly. I guess we'll see as the non-Chinese people keep getting diagnosed and their deaths reported by a more honest government (lol).

I think CNN isn't really respected here as a good source, but it's definitely a source for what's out in the mainstream news,and the death toll just "officially" passed 1,000.

I was in Vegas 3 weeks ago when I learned that this had started becoming news...It's pretty freaky to think that something that was just a passing headline has seemingly caused this much destruction in less than a month.

I definitely don't believe any one who's trying to act smart by saying "actually, the common flu kills more people per year".

Whether or not it's the real reported deaths, it's already nearly equivalent to the flu, and if the numbers are higher than they're really reporting then it's way more deadly. I guess we'll see as the non-Chinese people keep getting diagnosed and their deaths reported by a more honest government (lol).
Yeah it's silly to talk numbers and compare it to the flu because it's not about totals. Flu may currently kill more simply because it's been around forever and has touched more people. When talking impact, we need to look at percentages - that's all that matters. As this thing is "novel" (new), then it simply means we just don't know yet how it will behave and the maximum impact it can have. But we can get a sense of the trends, and give a decent forecast - and that's what all those forecasting models do.

We've had ~3 months of data now, so they should have a decent idea of what it's about and where it'll land. Of course viruses can and do mutate, so that's another consideration... At any rate they're definitely looking at all potential scenarios I'm sure.