The Names and Attributes of God in the Quran and Sunnah

DesertRose

Superstar
Al-Ba’ith

-

The Infuser of New Life
The Resurrector, The Raiser (from death), The One who resurrects His slaves after death for reward and/or punishment.

22:7 And verily the Hour will come: there can be no doubt about it, or about (the fact) that Allah will raise up all who are in the graves.

Do you feel closer to Allah subhanahu wa ta`ala (exalted is He)? Do you feel more able to turn to Him? Do you feel like you can see the manifestations of Allah’s attributes in your day-to-day? This series is not meant merely as an academic study on the Names of Allah; its aim is to know enough about each Name to be able to connect to Him, to be able to effect change; and to understand the purpose behind certain things.

I hope that we can all return to those Names again and reflect on them. And please, feel free to share how you feel you connected.

Previously, we talked about Allah (swt) being the Giver of Life and the Life-Taker, how these Names are manifested, and what we can learn from them. Absolute certainty in those Names brings us to this Name of Allah: Al-Bā`ith: the Resurrector, the Raiser of the Dead.

Resurrection and Accountability

Allah (swt) says in the Qur’an:

22_7

“And [that they may know] that the Hour is coming – no doubt about it – and that Allah will resurrect [yab`ath] those in the graves.” (Qur’an, 22:7)

Ba`th (from the root ب-ع-ث) literally means to awaken, to raise up or to send. So it would be said:

بعث الناقة أثارها، بعث فلاناً من نومه أيقظه، البعث بعث الجنود إلى الغزو

Ba`th of a camel means to excite it/wake it, Ba`th of someone from his sleep means to wake him up, and ba`th of the armies means to send them forward to battle.”

For people who question whether we can really be raised up again, Allah (swt) asks in the Qur’an:

“Do they not see that Allah, who created the heavens and earth and did not fail in their creation, is able to give life to the dead? Yes. Indeed, He is over all things competent.” (Qur’an, 46:33)

Is it more difficult to create something from nothing, or to bring something already in existence back to life?

So what does this mean for us?

Two things: purpose and accountability.

It is easy to forget that we will be raised again, and we may wander aimlessly not knowing what to do with our lives. But knowing that we will be raised up should infuse new meaning into the things that we do. Allah (swt) tells us in the Qur’an:

“Then did you think that We created you uselessly and that to Us you would not be returned?” (Qur’an, 23:115)

So we can ask ourselves, what am I going to present to Allah (swt)? What is the thing—or things—that we will say to Allah (swt), “My Lord, I tried to do good, I did this, for you”? Let us take a lesson from the mother of Maryam `alayha as-salaam (peace be upon her) when she said to Allah (swt):

“My Lord, indeed I have pledged to You what is in my womb, consecrated [for Your service], so accept this from me. Indeed, You are the Hearing, the Knowing.” (Qur’an, 3:35)

But what if we do not know what to give for Allah?

Sheikh Ratib an-Nabulsi says that another meaning of ba`th is that Allah sends to or inspires His servants to do good. So when you are feeling the urge to do something good, act upon it; do not delay it. In our short series on “Seeing the World in a Different Way”, we gave tips on how to attach a sincere intention and meaning into the things that we do.

The second related point of feeling the effect of Allah (swt) being al-Bā`ith is that of accountability. There is a certain mantra going around of “this is who I am, accept it”. This might be a good attitude sometimes, for example, if you want people to accept your interests or certain qualities that you have. This shouldn’t be the attitude that we have with regards to blameworthy qualities, such as a bad temper. As Muslims, we must constantly be evolving for the better. This is what our beloved Prophet ﷺ (peace be upon him) taught his Companions. When they made a mistake, he taught them, and they pledged to change.

In the story in Surat al-Qalam, Allah (swt) tells us about the people of the garden who wanted to take all of the harvest for themselves and left nothing for the poor. So Allah (swt) caused the garden to burn down. The amazing thing is that they realized their mistake. They said:

‘They said, “Exalted is our Lord! Indeed, we were wrongdoers.”
Then they approached one another, blaming each other.
They said, “O woe to us; indeed we were transgressors. Perhaps our Lord will substitute for us [one] better than it. Indeed, we are toward our Lord desirous.”‘ (Qur’an, 68:28-32)

They realized their mistake, took responsibility and moved towards their Lord. They did not try to justify what they did; rather, they became better because they learned from their mistake, and never lost hope in Allah (swt).

Sending of a Messenger

Allah (swt) says in the Qur’an:

“And We certainly sent [ba`athnā] into every nation a messenger […]” (Qur’an, 16:36)

The beloved Prophet ﷺ was sent to us as a mercy and a teacher. And he was sent to all of us as the best example. Most importantly, he was sent from Allah (swt), the One who cares about us the most.

So when we speak of purpose, we need to look at the things that the Prophet ﷺ encouraged. He taught us that the seemingly small things matter, and the thing that matters most is your intention. He told us of the lofty station of the woman who used to clean the mosque, the high status of those who spent from their wealth in charity, the closeness to him of the person who supports an orphan, and the greatness of the deed of removing harmful things from people’s path. Being connected to the Prophet ﷺ and following his way no doubt connects us to al-Bā`ith.

How to Come to Life with this Name

1. Have purpose: Remember where you are going, and that indeed you are going somewhere. Make every moment count. Allah (swt) tells us in the Qur’an: “O you who have believed, fear Allah. And let every soul look to what it has put forth for tomorrow – and fear Allah. Indeed, Allah is Acquainted with what you do.” (Qur’an, 59:18)
  2. Hold yourself to account: It is reported that Omar bin al-Khattab, the companion of the Prophet ﷺ, said: “Hold yourself to account before you are held to account, for that is better for your accounts. And weigh yourselves before you are weighed, and prepare yourselves for a day when ‘you will be exhibited [for judgement]; not hidden among you is anything concealed.'”
  3. Study the life of the Prophet ﷺ: If you find that you are running low on inspiration, study the life of the Prophet ﷺ. His life and character provide the blueprint for our own lives.
  4. Lift people up with knowledge: Al-Ghazāli counsels: “The truth of the resurrection refers to bringing the dead to life by creating them once more. Ignorance is the greatest death and knowledge the noblest life. God—may He be praised and exalted—mentioned knowledge and ignorance in His holy book, and called them life and death. Whoever lifts another out of ignorance to knowledge has already created him anew and revived him to a blessed life. And should a man have a way of conveying knowledge to people and calling them to the Most High that would be a kind of revivification, and such would be the level of prophets and the scholars who are their heirs.” (Al-Ghazāli, The Ninety-Nine Beautiful Names of God)

Names of Allah (SWT) | Al-Ba'ith (Sayed Hussain Makke)

DesertRose

Superstar

-

The All Observing Witness

The Witness, The One who nothing is absent from Him.

4:79 Whatever good, (O man!) happens to thee, is from Allah. but whatever evil happens to thee, is from thy (own) soul. and We have sent thee as an apostle to (instruct) mankind. And enough is Allah for a witness.

Allah calls Himself Ash-Shaheed— The All-and-Ever Witnessing— on 18 occasions in the Quran. Ash-Shaheed is the witness whose sight no one can escape. He is the One with full knowledge of all matters, witnessing the apparent and hidden, anywhere, any time. Ash-Shaheed is the witness and observer of all creation, thoughts, and actions, and the ultimate witness on the Day of Judgment!

The Witness, the Testifier, the Certifier

Shaheed comes from the root sheen-haa-daal, which points to three main meanings. The first meaning is “to bear witness.” The second meaning is to offer testimony, and the third is to have knowledge of something.

This root appears 160 times in the Quran in nine derived forms. Examples of these forms include yashhadu (“to testify”), ashhidoo (“to take witness”), shahaadati (“the seen”) and shuhadaa (“witnesses, martyrs”).

Shaheed refers to Allah’s awareness of everything; He hears every sound, loud and quiet, and sees the small and the large. In addition, He is the One who will testify for or against His servants for their deeds.

Ash-Shaheed Himself says:

Say: What thing is the greatest witness? Say: Allah is shaheed between you and I; this Qur’an has been revealed to me that I may warn therewith – you and whomsoever it may reach. [Quran, 6:19]

Allah is Witness over all things. [Quran, 58: 6] Allah is sufficient as Witness. [Quran, 4: 79]

Allah (Himself) is Witness that there is no god save Him. And the angels and the people of knowledge (too are witnesses).
[Quran, 3:18]

A Scene of the Souls

When Allah created Adam, He wiped Adam’s back and every person that He will create from him until the Day of Resurrection fell out from his back. [At-Tirmidhi and Al-Haakim] Allah stated that He brought the descendants of Adam out of their fathers’ loins, and they testified against themselves that Allah is their Lord and King and that there is no deity worthy of worship except Him. Allah then said,(and made them testify as to themselves (saying): “Am I not your Lord” They said: “Yes!”) [Tafseer ibn Katheer]
This was your first testimony and it means we will have no excuse on the Day of Judgement!
It will be said to a man from the people of the Fire on the Day of Resurrection, “If you owned all that is on the earth, would you pay it as ransom’ He will reply, `Yes.’ Allah will say, `I ordered you with what is less than that, when you were still in Adam’s loins, that is, associate none with Me (in worship). You insisted that you associate with Me (in worship).” [Tafseer ibn Katheer]

How Can You Live By This Name?

1. Say the sahahda, live the shahada. The Prophet salallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam said: Man shahida an la ilaha illallah dakhala al-jannah – Whoever witnesses that there is no god but Allah alone enters Paradise.[Saheeh Muslim]. Your testimony of faith in Allah is something you not only utter, but must live by. When you say I bear witness there is no god but Allah it means that in your talk and actions, in your house or outside you show that you love Allah more than anyone else, you accept Him as your Creator, Master and Ruler of the universe, that you worship Him alone in all matters and not your desires or others’ directions. Next time when you say the shahada in your prayer, reflect upon the meaning. Increase in saying la ilaha illallah to renew your emaan!

2. Trust in Ash-Shaheed. Ash-Shaheed says in this beautiful soothing ayah: So wait patiently for your Lord’s decree, for surely you are in Our sight. [Quran, 52: 48] Rest assured that any unjust treatment by the hands of others you go through, slander, gossip or abuse, Ash-Shaheed is your Witness and you will get justice.

3. Remember that you are a servant. It’s sometimes easy to shout at your family or children inside the house, or even oppress someone when you are in a position of authority over them. Remind yourself in each situation, wherever you are, whoever you talk to, whatever position you have, that you are a servant of Allah. Ash-Shaheed is witnessing every step you take and will you to account. Use this tip: when you are about to do something wrong, look up at the sky and imagine Ash-Shaheed watching you!

4. Don’t make your limbs testify against you. Use your tongue for speech beloved by Ash-Shaheed, your eyes to read the Quran, your limbs to pray to Him as they will all testify as what you used them for! The Prophet salallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam said: I was amazed at how a servant will dispute with his Lord on the Day of Resurrection. He will say, “My Lord, did You not promise me that you would not treat me unjustly” Allah will say, “Yes.” The man will say, “I will not accept any witness against me except from myself.” Allah will say, “Is it not sufficient that I and the angels, the noble scribes, are witnesses” These words will be repeated several times, then a seal will be placed over his mouth and his organs (or limbs) will speak about what he used to do. Then he will say, “Away with you! It was only for your sake that I was arguing!”)” [Muslim and An-Nasa’i]

5. Always stand up for the truth. Always stand up for the truth in your testimonies, even if it is against yourself! Sometimes it is hard to admit a mistake, or testifying for the truth might even endanger you, but know this characteristic is one of true honour of a believer, which earns you not just a place in Paradise, but a place of honour! And those who are in their testimonies upright and those who [carefully] maintain their prayer: they will be in gardens, honoured. [Quran, 70:33-35]

Wallahu ta’alaa ‘alem.

O Allah,
Ash-Shaheed, we know that You witness all things. Guide us to live by the shahada and make us utter the testimony of faith on our deathbed. Help us remember that You are witnessing us, and make this awareness an inspiration for us to increase our good deeds. Make us always stand up for the truth and join us with the prophets and shuhadaa in the highest Paradise, ameen!

The Understand Quran Academy Team
Names of Allah: Al Shaheed

Zakat

Star
Ar-Rasheed: Praise be to Allah.
Al-Rasheed is not one of the Names of Allaah, because it was not narrated either in the Quraan or in the Saheeh Sunnah. The Names of Allaah are as they were narrated (with no room for ijtihaad). It is not permissible to call Allaah by any names other than those by which He called Himself or He was called by His Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him).
And Allaah knows best.
https://islamqa.info/en/answers/5457/is-al-rasheed-one-of-the-names-of-allaah

So should we burn all these Qur'ān in my country where the 99 names are listed on page 2 just behind the Glorious Cover also known as 'Abdul Majīd?

Ar Rashīd may have any beautiful meaning anybody may understand Him through, in my case it being The Owner of Virtue.

See good in everything.

This Ummah is divided enough as is, in my opinion.

Regardless, thanks for sharing, Yā 'Abdid Dhwār, although I have one more thing to say, on account of those hundreds of masājids on this island housing even more masāhif of the Glorious Qur'ān,

1712409334814.png

1712409244232.png

Fī Amāni Allāh

1712409496503.png

1712409707685.png

DesertRose

Superstar

Allah calls Himself Al-Haqq— The Absolute Truth, The Reality— on nine occasions in the Quran. Al-Haqq is true in and of Himself and in His attributes; His existence is undeniable and nothing else can exist except through Him. His words are truth; the meeting with Him is truth; His Messengers are truth; His Books are truth; His religion is the Truth; the worship of Him Alone, with no partners or associates, is the Truth; everything that has to do with Him is truth! [Tayseer al-Kareem al-Rahmaan fi Tafseer Kalaam al-Mannaan, Shaykh ‘Abd al-Rahmaan al-Sa’di]

The Truth, the Reality, the Just and Correct

Haqq comes from the root haa-qaaf-qaaf, which points to three main meanings. The first meaning is to be true, genuine, substantial and real. The second main meaning is to be right and to be suitable to the requirements of wisdom and justice. The third is to be established as fact, to be unavoidable and to happen without doubt. The forth main meaning is to be proper and to be in accord with the needs of the situation.

This root appears 287 times in the Quran in seven derived forms. Examples of these forms include haqqa (“proved true”), ahaqqu (“more right”), al haqq (“the truth”) and al haqqatu (“the inevitable reality”).

The truth is a value, whereas justice means the truth being put into action. Haqq refers to the One He acts in accord with the needs of every situation. He cannot but exist and His essence is unavoidable, every truth comes from Al-Haqq!

Al-Haqq Himself says: And say: ‘The Truth is from your Lord.’ Then whosoever wills, let him believe, and whosoever wills, let him disbelieve…[Quran, 18:29] … So, after the truth, what else can there be, save error?…[Quran, 10:32].. And say: ‘Truth has come and falsehood has vanished. Surely, falsehood is ever bound to vanish. [Quran, 17:81]

A Surah of Reality

Suratul Haaqqa (The inevitable reality,surah 69) evolves around many concepts of al haqq (the truth). The first section tells us the coming of the Resurrection and the occurrence of the Hereafter is a truth which has to take place inevitably. Then the faith of the communities who denied the truth is discussed. Then Allah, Al-Haqq, tells us that all men shall appear in the Court of their Lord, where no secret will stay hidden and the truth about every single person will prevail. Allah ‘azza wajal tells us that the people who worked for the truth will be blessed with the eternal bliss of Paradise, while those who didn’t recognize the rights of Allah and denied the truth, will be cast into Hell. Then the ultimate Word of truth is described, the Quran, brought through the true and last Messenger, the Prophet Muhammad salallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam. And Allah, Al-Haqq ends with saying the Quran is the Truth and is absolute and pure: and for those who deny it, it will be a source of deep regret.
These very ayaat entered deep into the heart of Umar al Khattaab radiyallahu anhu, even though he was not Muslim yet!

1. Be truthful.
Being truthful doesn’t just mean speaking the truth, it also means seeking honesty in all your actions. It means you can never hide the truth and you should abide by the truth, even if it is against your personal interests. Al Haqq Himself instructs us: And do not mix the truth with falsehood or conceal the truth while you know [it]. [Quran, 2:42] The Prophet salallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam, who was knows as as-Sadeeq al-Ameen, the truthful and trustworthy, is our true example!

2. Advise others to speak the truth.
Speaking the truth and always being honest in your dealings with others doesn’t end just there, Allah ‘azza wajal gives us a golden advice in Suratul ‘Asr: Except for those who have believed and done righteous deeds and advised each other to truth and advised each other to patience. [Quran, 103:3] How many of us think about ourselves, but are not strong or committed enough to inspire others to seek and stand up for the truth? Do you sometimes hold back a truthful advice because you don’t want to ‘hurt’ someone’s feelings? Think a step further, a know that a truthful advice given in a wise way is the right of your fellow Muslim brother or sister!

3.Recall His promise in times of hardship.
Knowing the promise of Al-Haqq is true and firmly believing in this is an amazing comfort for the troubled heart. Whereas standing up for the truth may bring hardship, the promise of ease is true; verily, with hardship there is ease [Surah ash-Sharh]
Remain steadfast by knowing the reward of Al-Haqq is just and true. They tried to tempt the Prophet salallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam with power, but he stood by the truth and he conquered Mekkah 23 years after he was forced to leave it.

4. Ask Al-Haqq.
It is not sufficient to just recognize the truth, it is necessary you act upon it. The same goes for evil, you can not just recognize evil, you must refrain from it. For a believer knowledge comes with action. Reflect upon this beautiful dua:

اَللّٰهُمَّ اَرِنَا الْحَقَّ حَقًا وَّارْزُقْنَا اتِّبَاعَه وَاَرِنَا الْبَاطِلَ بَاطِلًا وَّارْزُقْنَا اجْتِنَابَه

O Allah! Enable me to see the Truth as Truth and give me the ability to follow it. And enable me to see the falsehood as false and give me the ability to refrain from it.

5. Don’t be deceived

Al-Haqq tells us: And Satan will say when the matter has been concluded, “Indeed, Allah had promised you the promise of truth. And I promised you, but I betrayed you. But I had no authority over you except that I invited you, and you responded to me. So do not blame me; but blame yourselves. I cannot be called to your aid, nor can you be called to my aid. Indeed, I deny your association of me [with Allah ] before. Indeed, for the wrongdoers is a painful punishment. [Quran, 14:22]

Wallahu ta’alaa ‘alem.

O Allah,
Al-Haqq, we know that You are the ultimate Truth. Guide us to live by and die upon the truth and make make us of those who advice others to the truth. Don’t let us be deceived by shaytan and his helpers. Make us reflect upon the universe and ourselves and witness the reality of Paradise, ameen!

Names Of Allah Al Haqq

DesertRose

Superstar
So should we burn all these Qur'ān in my country where the 99 names are listed on page 2 just behind the Glorious Cover also known as 'Abdul Majīd?
I do not think that is necessary brother. However, it is good to know the status of some of the names.
Kind of like knowing which hadiths are daeef etc. Allah knows best. Good to ask a scholar by the way.:)

DesertRose

Superstar
By the way brother, I hope you check out some of the videos.
Masha Allah I am listening to many gems.
Although, currently I am listening to a khutbah about the grave. I will in sha Allah post it at Islamic vids.

Zakat

Star
I do not think that is necessary brother. However, it is good to know the status of some of the names.
Kind of like knowing which hadiths are daeef etc. Allah knows best. Good to ask a scholar by the way.:)
You think so, that it is good to ask a scholar in these days we are living in?

Is there a true scholar since I don't know when, when they have failed to upkeep da'wah on Earth as a constant daily practice?

Is that a scholar when there is no worry since I don't know when, when our brothers abroad need a help in defending themselves from oppression but nobody really speaks about it?

And then there is 'Eid every friday?

Was there ever any reason for rejoicing when, leave those being oppressed abroad, some don't know their Maker yet and the Muslim population here is still a quarter?

I rather be my own scholar I think, be steadfast and wait to die.

DesertRose

Superstar
Al-Wakeel

-

The Universal Trustee
3:173 Men said to them: "A great army is gathering against you": And frightened them: But it (only) increased their Faith: They said: "For us Allah sufficeth, and He is the best disposer of affairs."

Allah calls Himself Al-Wakeel— The Trustee, The Disposer of Affairs, The Guardian— on 14 occasions in the Quran. Al-Wakeel is the only One who takes charge of the affairs of those under His care, managing all matters as He pleases. He is the One to be relied on, for all power belongs to Him!

The Disposer of Affairs, The One to be Relied Upon

Wakeel comes from the root waaw-kaaf-laam, which points to three main meanings. The first meaning is to appoint or entrust for the care or management of something. The second main meaning is to be a guardian of one’s interests, and the third is to rely upon.

This root appears 70 times in the Quran in four derived forms. Examples of these forms include tawakkaltu (“I put my trust”) and al-mutawakkileen (“the ones who put trust”).

Linguistically the wakeel of someone else is the person who efficiently represents him or does what he is incapable of doing on his behalf. Al-Wakeel is the ultimate Trustee, guardian and administrator of all things and we can trust in the fact that Al-Wakeel will provide the perfect resolution for every matter!

Al-Wakeel Himself says: . . . But it increased them in faith, and they said, “Sufficient for us is Allah , and [He is] the best Disposer of affairs [Quran, 3:173] . . . To Him belongs whatever is in the heavens and whatever is on the earth. And sufficient is Allah as Disposer of affairs [Quran, 4:171] and The Lord of the East and the West; there is no deity except Him, so take Him as Disposer of [your] affairs [Quran, 73:]

Al-Wakeel and Other Names

In the ayaat in which the name Al-Wakeel is mentioned, Allah gives a reference to His power and authority. The name Al-Wakeel is related in meaning to Al-Haseeb (The Reckoner, The Sufficer) and to Al-Qadeer (The All-Powerful); we entrust our affairs to Allah because only He has control over all things and only He is sufficient for us as provider and reckoner.

1. Have trust and work hard.
Reliance on Allah (tawakkul) means you entrust your affairs to Him, take every worldly precaution, and submit to Al-Wakeel for the result. An example is the hijrah for which the prophet salallahu ‘alayhi wasallam and Abu Bakr radiyyallahu ‘anhu planned according to their means. However, they were overtaken by the Quraysh. This is when the prophet calmed Abu Bakr with a beautiful statement of tawakkul, saying What do you think is the destiny of two people who have Allah for their Companion?

2. Pray istakharah.

One of the most beautiful examples of trusting in Al-Wakeel’s choice is the istakharah prayer. Ask Allah that if the matter is good for you to make it easy for you and if not, to take it away and then be content with the decree of Al-Wakeel. Make it a habit to practice this sunnah in your daily life, for big and small matters, as the prophet salallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam taught the companions to make istakharah in all things, just as he used to teach them surahs from the Quran!

3. Don’t be anxious about the future.

Many people are depressed or worried about their or their children’s future. Don’t fear the power of the enemy, never go for unlawful earnings, and know that you can trust Al-Wakeel because He will manage your affairs in the way best for you! Be inspired by what Ibraheem ‘alayhi sallam said when he was thrown in the fire: Allah suffices me, for He is the best disposer of affairs (hasbunallaahu wa ni’mal wakeel)!* Take the example of those who entrusted their souls to Al-Wakeel, like Haajar, when she was left in the desert with Ismaeel ‘alayhi sallam who said with true belief: Did your Lord order you to do so, then He shall not forsake us.

4. Be someone others can trust and rely on. Be someone others can turn to when they need help, and when you have to act on someone’s behalf fear Al-Wakeel and fulfill your duty as good as you can. The Prophet salallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam said: Allah will aid a servant (of His) so long as the servant aids his brother. [Muslim]

5. Train yourself to trust Al-Wakeel.
The first time Musa ‘alayhi sallam saw the stick becoming a snake, he ran away in fear. The second time he did not run but felt fright within himself upon being confronted by the magicians, and the third time, the most difficult of these situations, when the army of the Pharaoh was behind them and the sea in front of them, he had no fear; he said what can be translated as, Not at all. Surely my Lord is with me; He will soon guide me. [Quran, 26: 62] [paraphrased from the series In Thy Name we live by Dr. A. Khaled]

6. Do dhikr with this name.
Every morning and evening say: حَسْبِ اللهُ لا إله إلا هو، عليه توكلت و هو ربَ العرش العظيم
Allah is sufficient for me. There is no God but He. I have placed my trust in Him, He is Lord of the Majestic Throne. Whoever says this seven times in the morning after fajr, and seven times after Asr, Allah will take care of whatever worries him of the matter of this world and the hereafter. [Abu Dawood, Muslim]

The Prophet said: Whoever says(when he leaves his house) – Bismillaah, tawakkaltu ‘alaa Allaah, wa laa hawla wa laa quwwata illaa billaah – In the name of Allah, I put my trust in Allah and there is no power and no strength except with Allah- , it will be said to him: You are taken care of and you are protected and guided, and the devils will move away from him, and one devil says: What can you do with a man who has been guided, taken care of and protected? [Abu Dawood, At-Tirmidhi]

*For an excellent article on how to use this powerful dhikr, read this.

Wallahu ta’alaa ‘alem.

O Allah,
Al-Wakeel, we know that You take care of all matters. Make us of the mutawakkileen, those who gracefully rely on You and guide us to work in this world to the best of our ability. Make us of those others can trust in, protect us against our enemies and ourselves, guard over us and make us entrust our souls to you in times of ease and hardship, ameen!

99 Names of Allah - Al-Wakeel

DesertRose

Superstar
You think so, that it is good to ask a scholar in these days we are living in?

Is there a true scholar since I don't know when, when they have failed to upkeep da'wah on Earth as a constant daily practice?

Is that a scholar when there is no worry since I don't know when, when our brothers abroad need a help in defending themselves from oppression but nobody really speaks about it?

And then there is 'Eid every friday?

Was there ever any reason for rejoicing when, leave those being oppressed abroad, some don't know their Maker yet and the Muslim population here is still a quarter?

I rather be my own scholar I think, be steadfast and wait to die.
Here is a good article regarding the topic of scholarship.
This site is run by Shaykh Munajjid and his students and they are not affiliated to any of the puppet regimes in the Muslim world.

DesertRose

Superstar
Al-Qawwiyy

-

The Strong One
22:40 (They are) those who have been expelled from their homes in defiance of right,- (for no cause) except that they say, "our Lord is Allah.. Did not Allah check one set of people by means of another, there would surely have been pulled down monasteries, churches, synagogues, and mosques, in which the name of Allah is commemorated in abundant measure. Allah will certainly aid those who aid his (cause);- for verily Allah is full of Strength, Exalted in Might, (able to enforce His Will).

Allah calls Himself Al-Qawiyy— The All-Strong, The Powerful— on nine occasions in the Quran. Al-Qawiyy is the only One Whose strength is unlimited, inexhaustible, and neither preceded by weakness nor followed by a loss of strength. He affects everything yet nothing can affect Him!

The Supremely Strong, The Perfect in Strength

Qawiyy comes from the root qaaf-waw-yaa which points to three main meanings. The first meaning is to be strong or to have sufficient power. The second main meaning is to be robust, hardy, or sturdy, and the third is to prevail.

This root appears 42 times in the Quran in three derived forms. Examples of these forms include bi quwwatin (“with strength”) and lil-muqween (“for the wayfarers in the desert”).

Linguistically, qawiyy is derived from quwwa, the attribute of strength. Al-Qawiyy is the Ultimate in Strength; His attributes of strength never decrease and never have to be followed by a period of rest. The perfect strength of Al-Qawiyy is irresistible, and nothing and no one in the heavens and the earth can help but submit to it!

Al-Qawiyy Himself says: . . . They disbelieved in the signs of Allah , so Allah seized them for their sins. Indeed, Allah is Powerful and severe in penalty. [Quran, 8:52] And sufficient was Allah for the believers in battle, and ever is Allah Powerful and Exalted in Might.[Quran,33:25]

Al-Qawiyy and other names

Al-Jabbaar, Al-Qahhaar, Al-‘Azeez, and Al-Qawiyy are all names of power, strength, and dominance. Allah’s name Al-Qawiyy is most often paired with His beautiful name Al-Azeez, The All-Mighty. Strength is not suited except to those who are honorable; Al-Qawiyy uses His Strength in the most honorable ways to show His perfect might. This combination is used in the context of Allah ‘azza wajal using His strength to support the believers against the tyrants and unjust while using His might to punish them.

1. Be a strong believer.

Just as Allah is The All-Knowing and loves to see you knowledgeable, and just as and He is The Just and loves to see you being just, Allah ‘azza wajal loves to see the quality of quwwa in you as a believer. The Prophet salallahu ‘alayhi wasallam said: A strong believer is better and more beloved to Allah than a weak believer, though both are good. Hasten to what benefits you, seeking Allah’s help, and do not feel defeated. If some misfortune befalls you, do not say: “If only I had done such-and-such…” but say: “It is what Allah decreed, and He does as He wills.” The words “If only…” open the doors for Satan’s machinations. [Muslim] Have quwwa in your faith, in your determination to enjoin good and forbid evil, in your war against shaytan, in your character and in your will to seek knowledge!

2. Strive for justice and rest assured against the unjust.

Al-Qawiyy detests strength based on tyranny and injustice. The Prophet salallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam said: No nation is blessed unless its weakest members can demand their rights without hesitation. [Sunan Ibn Maajah] Be a person in your community who finds it important to be just in even the smallest matters, and inspire others to be just and to stand up for the rights of the weak. Rest assured in the promise of Al-Qawiyy to those who support His cause: Allah will certainly aid those who aid His (cause), for verily Allah is Strong, Mighty. [Quran, 22:40]

3. Fear Al-Qawiyy.

Al-Qawiyy gave one angel the strength to overturn a whole city or uproot a mountain, and this angel and all others, despite their enormous strength, tremble out of awe and fear of His greatness. So what about us— which powers do we have? Fear Al-Qawiyy and recall His strength to motivate yourself when you’re about to do something wrong.

4. Reflect the creation of Al-Qawiyy.

Look at the strength of the heat of the sun: in hours it can melt huge ice surfaces which could not be demolished by mankind’s strongest machines. Reflect on the power of the wind, which can lift up whole villages and blow them in the air like a feather. Contemplate the might of the oceans, swallowing complete countries. Reflecting on creation will help you understand the greatness and mind-blowing strength of the creator. Contemplate the signs of Al-Qawiyy and act upon them by obeying His commands and staying away from His prohibitions.

5.Take comfort in Al-Qawiyy.

Despite His enormous might and strength, Allah ‘azza wajal is extremely gentle and subtle with His servants. Allah is Subtle with His servants; He gives provisions to whom He wills. And He is the Powerful, the Exalted in Might. [Quran, 42:19] Take comfort in Him, your protector, your perfect beloved, in times when you feel weak and overcome by worries and difficulties.

To read about Allah’s name Al-‘Azeez click here.

Wallahu ta’alaa ‘alem.

O Allah,
Al-Qawiyy, we know that Your Strength is perfect and complete . Make us strong believers and aid us to use our strength to strive for justice. Adorn us with reliance on your promise against the unjust and enable us to be comforted by our knowledge of Your Strength. Inspire our minds to reflect on Your Creation and fill our hearts with fear and awe for Your Greatness and irresistible Strength, ameen!

Names of Allah : Al Qawiyy Al Mateen

DesertRose

Superstar
Al-Mateen

-

The Firm One
51:58 For Allah is He Who gives (all) Sustenance,- Lord of Power,- Steadfast (for ever).

Allah calls Himself Al-Mateen— The Firm, The Steadfast— once in the Quran. Al-Mateen is the One of whom in addition to His unconquerable power, His nature is to be firm. This combination of possession of the perfect strength and complete firmness of nature means no one can ever object to His actions or prevent His orders from being carried out!

The Utmost Firm, The Steadfast and Determined One

Mateen comes from the root meem-taa-noon, which points to four main meanings. The first meaning is to be strong, firm, and hard. The second main meaning is to be solid or robust. The third to be steadfast, determined, and sure, and the fourth main meaning is to possess any quality to a strong degree. This root appears three times in the Quran in one derived form. An example of this form is mateenun (“[is] firm”).

Linguistically, mateen means something very strong and very stable; its foundation is unshakeable. Al-Qawiyy is the One who possesses the attribute of inexhaustible strength, whereas Al-Mateen is the One whose nature it is to be firm, steadfast, and determined. He is the One who can easily overcome anything through supreme firmness and strength of determination!

Al-Mateen Himself says: . . . Indeed, it is Allah who is the [continual] Provider, the firm possessor of strength. [Quran, 51:58]

The Plan of Al-Mateen

Al-Mateen says: And I will give them time. Indeed, My plan is firm [Quran, 68:45]. Allah ‘azza wajal says He lets people go free for a long time, as this is all part of His plan and according to His wisdom. This way people can decide through different events to turn to the truth of Islam or not.

Some might disbelieve and oppose Islam for years and eventually find guidance. Other times Al-Mateen gives the disbeliever a long time to live and the disbeliever carries on doing more evil, so he or she is punished more. This also means that believers have the chance to get more reward and higher ranks in Paradise through their struggles and good deeds throughout the long period of time Al-Mateen gave them. The plan of Allah is firm!

1. Be firm in following the right path.

Let the attribute of firmness inspire you to stick to your Deen at all times and be determined to follow the straight path with understanding. The means to staying firm on Islam are: to hold on tight to the Quran and strive to understand what you read so you can apply the orders and prohibitions and motivations in your daily life, and; to do as many good deeds as you can; to study the lives of the prophets, peace be upon them, follow their examples, and think about the delights of Paradise, the torture of Hellfire and the agony of death.

Al-Mateen says: Allah will keep firm those who believe, with the word that stands firm in this world and in the Hereafter. And Allah will cause to go astray those who are dhalimun (polytheists and wrongdoers, etc.), and Allah does what He wills. [Quran, 14:27]

2. Call others to Al-Mateen.

The soul that is not active will stagnate. Giving da’wah can save you from punishment and cause Al-Mateen to make you stand firm yourself. Now then, for that (reason), call (them to the Faith), and stand steadfast as you are commanded . . . [Quran, 42:15]

Being busy with good will help you against Shaytan’s temptations to lead you astray, plus being challenged by obstacles and stubborn people on your journey of calling others to Allah can make you a stronger person in faith.

3. Study the seerah for strength.

To strengthen your Islamic identity, follow your roots: study the seerah. The Prophet salallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam said: Among the people who came before you, there was a man who was taken and put into a hole dug for him in the earth, then a saw was put on his head and he was cut into two pieces, and an iron comb was used to tear the flesh from his bones, but this still did not turn him away from his religion. [Al-Bukhaaree]

4. Be confident in the plan of Al-Mateen.

Allah’s plan is mateen— know that nothing or no one can defeat His plan. Even though people might plot against you, the reality is Al-Mateen will support the believers as long as they are sincere and the ultimate victory will be theirs. So trust in Al-Mateen and strive for sincerity in each deed you do.

Al-Mateen says: And they said nothing but: ‘Our Lord! Forgive us our sins and our transgressions (in keeping our duties to You), establish our feet firmly, and give us victory over the disbelieving folk.’ So Allah gave them the reward of this world, and the excellent reward of the Hereafter . . . [Quran, 3:147-148]

5. Keep close to firm people.

Surround yourself with people who are firm upon Islam, seek their advice and be someone who inspires others to stay firm too.

6. Ask Al-Mateen.

Being able to be steadfast in good and bad times should be one of your daily adiyah (plural of dua)! The Prophet salallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam said about your heart: It changes more than a pot of rapidly boiling water. [Ahmad, al-Hakim]

Memorize this dua the Prophet salallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam made and ask Al-Mateen from the bottom of your heart: يَا مُقَلِّبَ الْقُلُوبِ ثَبِّتْ قَلْبِى عَلَى دِينِكَ – Yaa Muqallibal quloob thabbit qalbee ‘alaa deenik. Which means: Oh Turner of hearts, make my heart firm upon Your religion. Be determined to get into Paradise and keep reminding yourself this world is only temporary!

To read about Allah’s name Al-‘Qawiyy, click here.

Wallahu ta’alaa ‘alem.

O Allah,
Al-Mateen, we know that You are the most firm. Let us benefit from the Quran and Sunnah. Make us firm in our faith, lead us on the straight path, and make us steadfast in good and bad times. Make us of those who call others to Islam and bless us with righteous company. Adorn our hearts with a strong determination to strive for Your Paradise, ameen!

The video under the attribute Al-Qawiyy also covers the attribute Al Mateen but I will also post below a video specific to this attribute.
99 Names of Allah - Al-Mateen

DesertRose

Superstar
Al-Waliyy

-

The Protecting Associate

3:68 Without doubt, among men, the nearest of kin to Abraham, are those who follow him, as are also this Messenger and those who believe: And Allah is the Protector of those who have faith.
Allah calls Himself Al-Waliy— The Protecting Friend, the Ally — on five occasions in the Quran. He is the One who lovingly guards and guides His creation. Al-Waliy is the lord and protector of creation, showing the path to righteousness. He is the One who protects, guards, and supports the believer in this world and the next!

The Ally, The Protector, the Loving Guardian

Waliy comes from the root waaw-laam-yaa, which points to four main meanings. The first main meaning is to be near and to be a friend and supporter. The second is to defend and guard (in a loving way) and the third main meaning is to turn towards something. The fourth main meaning is to be master and lord.

This root appears 232 times in the Quran in 12 derived forms. Examples of these forms are tawallaw (“they turn away”), awlaa (“is nearer or woe”), al-mawlaa (“the protector”) and awliyaa (“allies”).

Linguistically waliy (plural awliyaa) comes from the root word of wilaya, which is the opposite of enmity (adawaa). A ‘waliy amr’ is for example used referring to a child’s guardian, who looks after his or her affairs, someone who is close and who takes care of the child.

Al-Waliy combines the near, loving, protective, and guarding attributes of the One who is also the lord and master of the universe! Al-Waliy Himself says: And Allah is the ally of the believers [Quran, 3:68] and Or have they taken protectors [or allies] besides him? But Allah – He is the Protector [Quran, 42:9]

The Allies of Allah and the Allies of Shaytan

Al-Waliy has awliyaa among the people and Shaytan also has his allies. Indeed there is no fear upon the awliyaa of Allah, nor shall they grieve; those who believe and used to fear Allah much. For them are glad tidings in this life and the Hereafter. [Quran, 10:62]

The allies of Allah ‘azza wa jall will have no fear nor sadness in this world or the next. And Al-Waliy will bring light into their lives: Allah is the protector of those who believe, He takes them out of darkness into light [Quran, 2: 257]
and the allies of Allah will have victory: Whoever takes a Wali of Mine as an enemy, I will wage war on him.[Hadith Qudsi, Al-Bukharee]

Al-Waliy also mentions the allies of Shaytan and the conseqences of their deeds: As for those who disbelieve, their allies are the taaghoot who take them out of the light and into the darkness. Those are the people of fire, and they will be in it forever [Quran, 2: 257] and We have made the devils allies of those who do not believe. [Quran,7:27]

How Can You Live by This Name?
1. Strive to be Allah’s wali.

Al-Waliy says in a hadith qudsi: Nothing endears My servant to Me than doing of what I have made obligatory upon him to do. And My servant continues to draw nearer to Me with the supererogatory (nawafil) so that I shall love him. When I love him, I shall be his hearing with which he shall hear, his sight with which he shall see, his hands with which he shall hold, and his feet with which he shall walk. And if he asks (something) of Me, I shall surely give it to him, and if he takes refuge in Me, I shall certainly grant him it [Al-Bukharee]

Don’t think only scholars can be awliyaa; know that you too can be a wali of Allah ‘azza wa jall! How? By focusing on your obligatory acts of worship first, e.g. give priority to your prayer, like studying ways of how to concentrate better, pray on time, etc. Then complement them by doing as many voluntary deeds as you can, studying the sunnah so you can apply the daily ways of the prophet salallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam to your life. The result is, Al-Waliyy will love you, and when He loves you He will guide you in using your limbs righteously. He will grant your wishes and protect you!

2. Strive for taqwa.

Unquestionably, [for] the awliya of Allah there will be no fear concerning them, nor will they grieve. Those who believed and had taqwa of Allah.. [Quran, 10:62]. If you want to be a wali of Allah, build a relationship with the Quran and ask Al-Waliy to give you understanding of its ayaat so you will be inspired to live by them Al-Waliyy describes the risk of turning away from the Quran: Whoever turns away from the reminder of the Merciful, we will assign to him a devil, who will be a partner to him [Quran, 43: 36] Another great motivator to increase your taqwa is daily remembering and visualising Paradise. Study the names and attributes of Allah ‘azza wa jall to increase your fear and love for Him and pray to be included in the above ayah as one of His awliyaa.

3. Be a righteous friend.

Be a loving friend to others, protecting their rights. The prophet salallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam said: Allah will aid a servant (of His) so long as the servant aids his brother. [Muslim] Take any responsibility you have seriously in representing someone or supporting someone with their affairs.

4.Trust that Allah is the best ally.

Remind yourself that Al-Waliy is the best ally to turn to at all times and put your trust in Him. When two parties from among you were about to lose heart, but Allah was their Waliy. And in Allah let the believers put their trust [Quran, 3:122] Take comfort in the fact that He knows your enemies and He is your best Helper: Allah is full of knowledge of your enemies, and Allah is Sufficient as a Waliy; and Allah is sufficient as a Helper [Quran, 4:45]

5. Ask Al-Waliyy.

You will always be in need of the support and protection of Al-Waliy so ask Him to protect and assist you in this life, at the time of death, in the grave, and on the Day of Reckoning.

Wallahu ta’alaa ‘alem.

O Allah, Al-Waliy, we know that You are the most loving Guardian. Make us of your awliyaa and guide us to complement our obligatory acts of worship with abundant voluntary deeds. Bless us with righteous friends, make us pious friends to other believers and assist us in turning to You and trusting in You only as our best Ally at all times, ameen!

99 Names of Allah - Al-Waliyy

DesertRose

Superstar
Al-Hameed

-

The Sole-Laudable One

14:1 A. L. R. A Book which We have revealed unto thee, in order that thou mightest lead mankind out of the depths of darkness into light - by the leave of their Lord - to the Way of (Him) the Exalted in power, worthy of all praise!-

Allah calls Himself Al-Hameed— the Most Praiseworthy , the Praised One — on ten occasions in the Quran. He is the One who deserves all praise and honour. Al-Hameed is the only One who is truly worthy of all praise and thanks!

The Praiseworthy, the object of praise

Hameed comes from the root haa-meem-daal, which points to three main meanings. The first main meaning is to praise with a sense of deep adoration and submission. The second main meaning is to honor or speak well of and the third is to praise one for what is done by that one’s own will.

This root appears 63 times in the Quran in five derived forms. Examples of these forms are al hamdu (all praise be to), al-haamidoona (those who praise), and mahmoodan (praiseworthy).

Linguistically, hamd is based on mahabbah (love) and ta’dheem (honour) and it implies admiration and gratitude towards the one who is praised (mahmood). Allah is Al-Hameed, He is the One who is always deserving of praise, regardless if He is being praised or not.

Al-Hameed Himself says: And they had been guided [in worldly life] to good speech, and they were guided to the path of the Praiseworthy [Quran, 22:24] .. and it guides to the path of the Exalted in Might, the Praiseworthy. [Quran, 34:6] . . . O mankind, you are those in need of Allah , while Allah is the Free of need, the Praiseworthy. [Quran, 35:15]

Alhamdulillah: an exclusive praise
Believers say alhamdulillah– All praise and thanks are for Allah each day in prayer in Surah Al-Fatiha, the first word of Adam ‘alayhi sallam was alhamdulillah and alhamdulillah will be the last call of the people of Paradise: وَآخِرُدَعْوَاهُمْأَنِالْحَمْدُلِلَّهِرَبِّالْعَالَمِينَ . . . And the last of their call will be, Praise to Allah, Lord of the worlds! [Quran,10:10]

Whereas hamd means praise, the ‘al’ in al-hamd makes the praise definite and implies exclusivity. Al-hamd means all types of praise and every manner of thanks at all times is due to Allah ‘azza wa jall. Abu Ja`far bin Jarir said: The meaning of alhamdulillah is: all thanks are due purely to Allah, alone, not any of the objects that are being worshipped instead of Him, nor any of His creation. [Tafseer ibn Katheer]

Alhamdulillah therefore can be best described by the most complete, perfect, and beautiful praise that is deserved by and for Allah ‘azza wa jall only!

Alhamdulillah in the Quran

The phrase alhamdulillah occurs 38 times in the Quran and it is the praise Allah ‘azza wa jall praised Himself with. Some suwar (plural of surah) of the Quran begin with hamd, which announces that all praise and thanks belong to Allah ‘azza wa jall, instructs that when we begin something we should begin with praise (like in a sermon or when making dua’) and shows us how to praise Allah– by saying alhamdulillah.

How Can You Live by This Name?

1. Know the virtues alhamdulillah.
Increasing your Islamic knowledge and being aware of different virtues of acts of worship will motivate you to practise them! The Prophet salallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam said: Verily, your Lord likes Al-Hamd [An-Nasaa’i] He salallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam mentioned: the best dhikr (remembering Allah) is laa ilaaha illallah and the best supplication is alhamdulillah [At-Tirmidhee] And: The phrase alhamdulillah fills the scale. [Muslim] Realize the virtues of alhamdulillah!

2. Increase in saying alhamdulillah and feel it.
Increase in saying this beautiful praise in your daily life. And say it out of deep love, honour, and with humility and gratitude to your Lord. Remember Paradise when you say alhamdulillah, and ask Allah ‘azza wa jall to make you of those who say: Their call therein will be, ‘Exalted are You, O Allah,’ and their greeting therein will be, ‘Peace.’ And the last of their call will be, ‘Praise to Allah , Lord of the worlds.’ [Quran, 10:10]

3. Say it when you are blessed.

The Prophet salallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam said: No servant is blessed by Allah and says, alhamdulillah except that what he was given is better than that which he has himself acquired. [Ibn Maajah]

4. Know that everything happens for good.
For the believers there is always a win-win situation. The Prophet salallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam said: The affair of the believer is amazing. The whole of his life is beneficial, and that is only in the case of the believer. When good times come to him, he is thankful and it is good for him, and when bad times befall him, he is patient and it is also good for him. [Muslim] Deeply reflect on this hadith and say: alhamdulillah ‘alaa kulli haalalhamdulillah in every case or situation!

Wallahu ta’alaa ‘alem.

O Allah, Al-Hameed, we know that all praise and thanks belongs to You. Make us of those who praise You as you should be praised, guide us in praising you often and sincerely, and make us of those who say alhamdulillah in Paradise, ameen!

Names of Allah :Al Hameed

DesertRose

Superstar
Al-Muhsee

-

The All-Enumerating One
The Counter, The Reckoner, The One who the count of things are known to him.

72:28 "That He may know that they have (truly) brought and delivered the Messages of their Lord: and He surrounds (all the mysteries) that are with them, and takes account of every single thing."

Al-Muhsee

المحصي
Al-Muhsee
1. English meaning:

The Counting, the Keeper of records.
2. Tafseer:
  • The One Who counts what we do and readies it for the Day when we meet Him, the day of reward or punishment.
  • He knows all precise and minute matters.
  • He sees what is apparent and is fully knowledgeable of what is hidden.
3. Verse from the Qur’an (derivations):
Bismillahir Rahmanir Rahim
Surah Al-Jinn [72:28]
That He may know that they have indeed conveyed the messages of their Lord. He has encompassed whatever is with them, and He keeps count of all things.”

4. Notes on this attribute:
This name of Allah has not been directly mentioned in the Qur’an, but its meaning and derivations exist in several places. For example:
Surah Maryam [19:94]

He has enumerated them and counted them a (full) counting.
Surah Ya-Sin [36:12]

Indeed, it is We who bring the dead to life and record what they have put forth and what they left behind, and all things We have enumerated in a clear register.

Surah An-Naba (The Tidings) [78:29]

But all things We have recorded in writing.

The Names of Allah – 58 Al-Muhsi

DesertRose

Superstar
Al-Mubdi

-

The Originator
10:4 To Him will be your return- of all of you. The promise of Allah is true and sure. It is He Who beginneth the process of creation, and repeateth it, that He may reward with justice those who believe and work righteousness; but those who reject Him will have draughts of boiling fluids, and a penalty grievous, because they did reject Him.

The Originator, The Producer, The Initiator

Al-Mubdi'

The One who started the human being. That is, He created him.

Allah is Al-Mubdi, the originator of all creation. He is the beginner of all things and nothing could have existed without his willing it to be. He is The One who initiates all things.

Mentions From The Quran & Hadith

From the root b-d-‘ which has the following classical Arabic connotations: to begin, create, make something new to make something be first, have precedence to contrive a new thing to invent, to do first to commence, start, at the beginning

Say, “Are there of your ‘partners’ any who begins creation and then repeats it?” Say, ” Allah begins creation and then repeats it, so how are you deluded?” (Quran 10:34)

Is He [not best] who begins creation and then repeats it and who provides for you from the heaven and earth? Is there a deity with Allah? Say, “Produce your proof, if you should be truthful.” (Quran 27:64)

Have they not considered how Allah begins creation and then repeats it? Indeed that, for Allah, is easy. (Quran 29:19)

Indeed, it is He who originates [creation] and repeats. (Quran 85:13)

And they say, “When we are bones and crumbled particles, will we [truly] be resurrected as a new creation?” Say, “Be you stones or iron (Quran 17:49)

Allah begins creation; then He will repeat it; then to Him, you will be returned. (Quran 30:11)

The Names of Allah – 59 Al-Mubdi' 60 Al-Mu^id

DesertRose

Superstar
(@Zakat. Below is a scholarly answer to the question you had from yesterday. There is an agreement for 81 of the 99 names.) Alhamdullilah.)
Al-Mumeet

-

The Inflictor of Death
The Creator of Death, The Destroyer, The One who renders the living dead.

3:156 O ye who believe! Be not like the Unbelievers, who say of their brethren, when they are travelling through the Earth or engaged in fighting: "If they had stayed with us, they would not have died, or been slain." This that Allah may make it a cause of sighs and regrets in their hearts. It is Allah that gives Life and Death, and Allah sees well all that ye do.

Mentions of Al-Mumit:
From Quran & Hadith

Arabic Root:
From the root mim-waw-ta (م و ت), which has the following classical Arabic connotations: to die, pass away, burn out, be lifeless, to be quiet, still, calm, to be inanimate, to be deprived of sensation, to be spiritually dead, lacking spiritual life.

As we've mentioned prior, different scholars have different criteria for what qualifies as a name of Allah سُبْحَٰنَهُۥ وَتَعَٰلَىٰ. Of the 99 names, 81 are explicitly mentioned in the Qur'an. Therefore, there is not one agreed-upon list for the remaining 18 names. Al-Mumeet is one of those names which is not included by certain scholars. This list includes Ibn al-Wazir, Ibn Hazm, and Ibn al-Uthaymeen, among others. However, others, such as Ibn Arabi, Imam al-Bayhaqi, and al-Ghazali, have included this name in their lists.
The pairing of Al-Muhyi and Al-Mumeet:

The names Al-Muhyi and Al-Mumeet are often mentioned together for their contrasting nature. Al-Muhyi is the bestower of life, and Al-Mumeet is the bringer of death. These two attributes are not shared with anyone and are reserved for Allah سُبْحَٰنَهُۥ وَتَعَٰلَىٰ alone.

Al-Muhyi and Al-Mumeet are necessary as they bring balance to all things. If we lived as if we were immortal, we would be more likely overtaken by the temptations of this world with fear of no consequences. But the knowledge of our mortality softens many emotions and balances us out. We should have no reason to fear death; death is a gift to the believer. Because of this constraint, we rush to do good, seek Allah's forgiveness, and offer our daily prayers. The duality of life and death is created by Al-Muhyi and Al-Mumeet, which maintains this essential balance.

وَمَا ٱلۡحَيَوٰةُ ٱلدُّنۡيَآ إِلَّا لَعِبٞ وَلَهۡوٞۖ وَلَلدَّارُ ٱلۡأٓخِرَةُ خَيۡرٞ لِّلَّذِينَ يَتَّقُونَۚ أَفَلَا تَعۡقِلُونَ

Wa mal hayaatud dunyaaa illaa la'ibunw wa lahwunw wa lad Daarul Aakhiratu khaiyrul lillazeena yattaqoon; afalaa ta'qiloon

English Translation:
"And the worldly life is not but amusement and diversion; but the home of the Hereafter is best for those who fear Allah, so will you not reason?" — (Qur'an 6:32

Death is not non-existence:

These verses from the Qur'an do not include the name Al-Mumeet but help us understand the quality of being called the slayer. "Abdallah b. Amr reported God's Messenger ﷺ as saying: 'The gift to a believer is death.' (i.e., death is the means by which he gains an introduction to the delights of paradise.)" [1] Death is a state of being for living things. It does not mean non-existence or nothingness. It exists as another state from which our lives transcend.

Some scholars have commented on how we live many lives. But they are all connected, one continuous life compartmentalized into distinct phases. We have the life of this world (hayat al dunya), life of the grave (hayat al qabr), life of the interworld (hayat al barzakh), the life of the day resurrection (hayat al qiyamah), and the final destination the life of the hereafter (hayat al akhirah).

وَلِكُلِّ أُمَّةٍ أَجَلٞۖ فَإِذَا جَآءَ أَجَلُهُمۡ لَا يَسۡتَأۡخِرُونَ سَاعَةٗ وَلَا يَسۡتَقۡدِمُونَ

Wa likulli ummatin ajalun fa izaa jaaa'a ajaluhum laa yasta' khiroona saa'atanw wa laa yastaqdimoon
"And for every nation is a [specified] term. So when their time has come, they will not remain behind an hour, nor will they precede [it]." — (Qur'an 7:34)

Abdullah b. Amr b. al-'As reported: I heard Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) as saying: Allah ordained the measures (of quality) of the creation fifty thousand years before He created the heavens and the earth, as His Throne was upon water. [2]

English Translation:
"His is the dominion of the heavens and earth. He gives life and causes death, and He is over all things competent." — (Qur'an 57:2)

Narrated Anas bin Malik: The Prophet ﷺ said, "None of you should wish for death because of a calamity befalling him; but if he has to wish for death, he should say: "O Allah! Keep me alive as long as life is better for me, and let me die if death is better for me.'" [3]

Reflection:
The Prophet ﷺ tells us to avoid making statements that shows displeasure with the decree of Allah سُبْحَٰنَهُۥ وَتَعَٰلَىٰ. We should avoid jokingly or sarcastically saying, "I would like nothing more than to just die." Instead, we are told of the rewards that are offered to the believer who is patient when tragedy strikes. (1) Expiation of His or Her sins. [4] (2) Those who are patient for the sake of Allah in anticipation of receiving his mercy and blessings will be rewarded. [5]

هُوَ يُحۡيِۦ وَيُمِيتُ وَإِلَيۡهِ تُرۡجَعُونَ

Huwa yuhyee wa yumeetu wa ilaihi turja'oon

English Translation:
"He gives life and causes death, and to Him you will be returned" — (Qur'an 10:56)

Allah سُبْحَٰنَهُۥ وَتَعَٰلَىٰ is the one who gives (Al-Muhyi) and takes (Al-Mumeet). To Allah سُبْحَٰنَهُۥ وَتَعَٰلَىٰ belong all things when He causes them to return - He is retrieving what was rightfully His. In The Name & The Named, it mentions how the human body is made from a combination of flesh and soul. The flesh is visible; the soul is not. The body is temporal (short-lasting), whereas the soul is eternal. The book provides a useful conceptualization: the soul with its body is like a merchant who buys and sells goods, making gains and losses. When the soul parts from the body, it's like the business which no longer serves its owner. When we die, we are left with whatever profit or debt we have incurred. In the grave, we wait for the day of judgment, either bankrupt or rich.

إِنَّ ٱللَّهَ عِندَهُۥ عِلۡمُ ٱلسَّاعَةِ وَيُنَزِّلُ ٱلۡغَيۡثَ وَيَعۡلَمُ مَا فِي ٱلۡأَرۡحَامِۖ وَمَا تَدۡرِي نَفۡسٞ مَّاذَا تَكۡسِبُ غَدٗاۖ وَمَا تَدۡرِي نَفۡسُۢ بِأَيِّ أَرۡضٖ تَمُوتُۚ إِنَّ ٱللَّهَ عَلِيمٌ خَبِيرُۢ

Innal laaha indahoo 'ilmus saa'ati wa yunazzilul ghaisa wa ya'lamu maa fil arhaami wa maa tadree nafsum maazaa taksibu ghadaa; wa maa tadree nafsum bi ayyi ardin tamoot; innal laaha 'Aleemun Khabeer (section 4)

English Translation:
"Indeed, Allah [alone] has knowledge of the Hour and sends down the rain and knows what is in the wombs. And no soul perceives what it will earn tomorrow, and no soul perceives in what land it will die. Indeed, Allah is Knowing and Acquainted." — (Qur'an 31:34)

Usamah bin Zaid (May Allah be pleased with them) reported: A daughter of the Prophet ﷺ sent a message to him that her son was at his last breath and requested him to come to her. The Messenger of Allah ﷺ sent back the informer saying: "To Allah belongs what He takes and what He gives, and everything has a limited period (in this world). So ask her to endure patiently, and expect the reward of Allah." [6]

Du'a calling on this attribute of Allah سُبْحَٰنَهُۥ وَتَعَٰلَىٰ:
Abu Ayyub Al-Ansari narrated that the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) said: “Whoever says ten times: (reciting the du'a below) it is for him equal to freeing four slaves among the offspring of Isma'il.”

اَ إِلَهَ إِلاَّ اللَّهُ وَحْدَهُ لاَ شَرِيكَ لَهُ لَهُ الْمُلْكُ وَلَهُ الْحَمْدُ يُحْيِي وَيُمِيتُ وَهُوَ عَلَى كُلِّ شَيْءٍ قَدِيرٌ

La ilaha illallah, wahdahu la sharika lahu, lahul-mulku wa lahul-hamdu, yuhyi wa yumitu wa huwa 'ala kulli shai'in qadir

English Translation:
"None has the right to be worshipped but Allah alone, Who has no partner. His is the dominion and His is the praise. He brings life and He causes death, and He is Able to do all things." [7]

Names Of Allah Al Muhiyee Al Mumit

DesertRose

Superstar

-

The Eternally Living One

Allah! There is no god ˹worthy of worship˺ except Him, the Ever-Living, All-Sustaining. Neither drowsiness nor sleep overtakes Him. To Him belongs whatever is in the heavens and whatever is on the earth. Who could possibly intercede with Him without His permission? He ˹fully˺ knows what is ahead of them and what is behind them, but no one can grasp
any of His knowledge—except what He wills ˹to reveal˺.
His Seat encompasses the heavens and the earth, and the preservation of both does not tire Him. For He is the Most High, the Greatest.
Quran: 2:255

Allah calls Himself Al-Hayy— The Ever-Living— on five occasions in the Quran. Al-Hayy is the One who is everlasting and undying, the One from whom all life arises. Al-Hayy is the One who was, is, and will always be alive!

The Everlasting, The Living

Hayy comes from the root haa-yaa-yaa, which points to four main meanings. The first meaning is to live. The second main meaning is to become apparent or distinct. The third is to revive, vitalize and call into being and the fourth main meaning is to be sound, or whole.

This root appears 184 times in the Quran in 12 derived forms. Examples of these forms are yuhyee (“grants life”), hayyan (“alive”) and al hayaatu (” the life”).

Al-Hayy is the One who has a continuous life with no beginning or end. His Life and all His Attributes are perfect. His life is self-sustaining and has no external source, whereas our lives have been granted to us by the Creator. Al-Hayy is the One who calls all life into being and He is the source to which life will return!

Al-Hayy Himself says: . . And [all] faces will be humbled before the Ever-Living, the Sustainer of existence. And he will have failed who carries injustice [Quran, 20:111] And rely upon the Ever-Living who does not die..[Quran, 25:58] He is the Ever-Living; there is no deity except Him, so call upon Him, [being] sincere to Him in religion. [Quran, 40:65]

The Perfect Life

Al-Hayy is most often combined with the Name Al-Qayyoom, the Sustainer. This is a beautiful combination of the perfection of Allah’s Attributes and His Actions. Al-Hayy means the One who possesses the perfect living and so all His attributes are perfect: His hearing, His sight, His Beauty etc. Man’s life is imperfect from all sides: our hearing, sight, speech and actions are all imperfect. All the attributes of Allah are perfect, because any defiency in attributes would come from weakness of life and His life is perfect!

1. Rely upon the Ever-Living. And rely upon the Ever-Living who does not die, and exalt with His praise… [Quran, 25:58] Each source of our problems and distress lies in this world, whether it is money, family etc and these will all perish one day. This ayah gives us a beautiful reflection: while you put your trust in Allah, really realize how great the One is in who you trust. Use your imagination, go back in time for 100 years, 1000 years, a million or a billion years and Allah was alive. In the same way think about the future, so feel the glory that belongs to Him.

2. Motivate yourself to do good. The ayah continues: And sufficient is He to be, with the sins of His servants, Acquainted. [Quran, 25:58] As you leave all your matters to Al-Hayy, realizing His greatness and express this awareness by tasbeeh (saying subhanallah) coming from your lips, also take action with your limbs. Let Al-Hayy motivate you to do good deeds. Whereas people have not been with you all of your life, being able to see and hear all your bad deeds, Al-Hayy was, is and will be there with His perfect hearing and seeing which are part of His perfect life!

3. Recite Ayatul Kursi after each prayer and before going to sleep. In this greatest ayah of the Quran the Name Al-Hayy is mentioned and many virtues are narrated about ayatul Kursi. In each sentence one or two attributes of Allah are mentioned: . everytime you recite this ayah reflect on the Attributes of Allah and how they all emerge from His perfect Life: He is Al-Hayy!

4. Ask Al-Hayy. When the Prophet salallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam was faced with a serious difficulty, he would say: Yaa Hayyu, Yaa Qayyum (O Ever-Living One, O Self-Existing One)! By Your mercy I seek help
سْتَغِيْث أَ بِرَحْمَتِكَ قَيُّوْمُ يَا حَيُّ يَا [Sunan At-Tirmidhee]

5. Be comforted by Al-Hayy.
Be comforted by Al-Hayy and turn to Him only when you lose things around you and know that He will always be there. When you are treated unjustly and see injustice around you, do your best to help according to the laws of Al-Hayy but also know that the injustice of every single person will be a cause of failure in the Hereafter. So guard for injustice from your own hands as well! And [all] faces will be humbled before the Ever-Living, the Sustainer of existence. And he will have failed who carries injustice. [Quran, 20:111]

6. Turn to Al-Hayy for daily-life guidance.

The Prophet salallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam once mentioned to Faatimah radiyallaahu ‘anha to recite the following supplication morning and evening: Yaa Hayyu yaa qayyoom bi-rahmatika astagheeth, aslih lee shaa-nee kullahu, wa laa takilnee ilaa nafsee tarfata ‘ayn – O Ever-Living One, O Self-Existing One, I seek assistance through the means of your mercy, correct for me all my affairs and do not entrust me to my nafs (myself) for the moment of a blink of an eye [An-Nasa’i] If Al-Hayy would even leave you to yourself for a split-second, you would perish!

Wallahu ta’alaa ‘alem.

O Allah, Al-Hayy, we know that You are the One who is everlasting and perfect alive. Bless us with reliance on You, make us realize Your Perfection of Life and so of all Your attributes and guide us to live by them. Make our life a source of good and give us a good end of life, inspire us to turn to You only and grant to us eternal life in the Gardens of Jannatul Firdaws, ameen!

In the Names of Allah - al-Hayy

Al-Hayy

DesertRose

Superstar
Al-Qayyoom

-

The Self-Subsisting One​

Allah! There is no god ˹worthy of worship˺ except Him, the Ever-Living, All-Sustaining. Neither drowsiness nor sleep overtakes Him. To Him belongs whatever is in the heavens and whatever is on the earth. Who could possibly intercede with Him without His permission? He ˹fully˺ knows what is ahead of them and what is behind them, but no one can grasp
any of His knowledge—except what He wills ˹to reveal˺.
His Seat encompasses the heavens and the earth, and the preservation of both does not tire Him. For He is the Most High, the Greatest.
Quran: 2:255

The Name of Allah, Al-Hayy, is paired with the Name of Allah, AlQayûm two other times in the Holy Qur’an:

Allâh — there is no deity except Him the Ever-Living, the Sustainer of Existence. He has sent down to you, [O Muḥammad], the Book in truth, confirming what was before it. And He revealed the Torah and the Gospel. [Surah Âli ‘Imrân, 3:2-3]

He [Allah] knows what is [presently] before them and what will be after them, but they do not encompass [what He knows] in knowledge. And all faces will be humbled before the Ever-Living, the Sustainer of Existence. And he will have failed who carries injustice. [Sûrah Ṭâ Hâ, 20:110-111]

THE EVER-LIVING, ETERNAL
Al-Hayy, is derived from the Arabic three-lettered root word, ḥâ-yâ-yâ, and can hold several meanings:

• To live, to be in the state of living, to preserve alive, to prolong life
  • To become apparent or distinct
  • To revive, vitalize and bring into being, make living
  • To be sound or whole or true
As a Name of Allah, Al-Hayy is the One who has a continuous life with no beginning or end. His life is self-sustaining and has no external source, whereas our lives have been granted to us by the Creator. Al-Hayy is the One who calls all life into being and He is the source to which we will all return. AlHayy is mentioned on its own in many verses of the Qur’an, for example,

And rely upon Al-Hayy (the Ever-Living) who does not die, and exalt [Allah] with His praise. And sufficient is He to be, with the sins of His servants [fully] Aware. (Sûrah Al-Furqân, 25:58)

Allah’s Name, Al-Hayy, affirms the attribute of life to Allah, a perfect and complete state of life. This means that Allah’s existence was never preceded by non-existence and will never be followed by an end to His existence. Nothing can or ever will diminish Allah’s perfect and complete state of being. Since Allah has perfect life, it follows that all of His Attributes are also perfect, complete, and infallible, such as His hearing, sight, power, capabilities, strength, mercy, knowledge, and awareness.

When we understand Allah’s Name, Al-Hayy, and all that it encompasses, we will be able to remember Allah in times of difficulty and when we feel alone. When you find none by your side, know that Allah is there and will always be there. Rectify what is between Allah and yourself by performing acts of obedience and avoiding sin, and Allah is there and He will rectify your affairs and help you get through the tough days. Make du’â and put your trust in Allah.

When faced with tribulation, say the following supplication as it will help alleviate your anxiety and worry.

The Prophet’s servant, Anas bin Malik, relates that if any distress befell the Prophet (ﷺ), he would say,

Ya Hayyu, Ya Qayyum, bi-Rahmatika astaghîth.”

O Ever-Living, O Sustainer of all existence, in Your mercy I seek relief!

(Mustadrak al-Hâkim, vol.1 p.509; Shu’ub al-Imân of Imâm Bayhaqi, Hadith #10231)

THE SELF-SUBSISTING, ALL-SUSTAINING

Allah’s Name, Al-Qayyûm, means that Allah is the Sustainer of Himself and of all of creation in existence. He is the Self-Subsisting. He manages everything that is in creation. All of His creation needs Him, while He is self-existing and is completely free from any dependence or need of anything else or anyone else.

AlQayyûm sustains, protects, oversees, provides for, watches over, and manages all that exists. All of creation’s existence is dependent upon Him, the sky and the earth, mountains and trees, the sun and moon, and all people and animals.

AlQayyûm comes from the Arabic three-lettered root word, qâf-waw-mîm, which can hold several meanings:

• To stand or to rise up
  • To be or begin
  • To be ongoing and to exist
  • To be founded or to be built on
  • To manage and to make right
CONNECTING WITH ALLAH THROUGH HIS NAMES

With the study of each of Allah’s Beautiful Names comes the impact of Allah’s Name in our lives. To illustrate, take a look at Allah’s Name, Al-Rahîm, The Especially Merciful, which we previously studied, along with Al-Raḥmân, The Entirely Merciful. The more I learn of Allah’s infinite mercy, the more I too want to treat others with mercy; those under my care, my family, and loved ones.

Allah is Al-Qayyûm, He manages the affairs of all creation. And Allah is pleased with the believer who helps his brother and sister in Islam in their need, who helps take care of someone else’s affairs, and who brings ease to someone experiencing difficulty.

Look at the reward promised to the believer who pardons the one who borrowed money and is unable to repay the debt:

Abu Hurairah reported that the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) said,

A man would give loans to the people and he would say to his servant: If the debtor is in hardship you should forgive the debt that perhaps Allah will relieve us. So when he met Allah, then Allah relieved him. (Ṣaḥîḥ al-Bukhârî 3293)

To the best of your abilities, extend a helping hand to others. Bring ease to others whenever you can, and have firm trust that Allah, AlQayyûm, will take care of your affairs and bring ease to you in return.

When you mention Allah’s Beautiful Name, AlQayyûm, you should remember a very special act of worship, and that is the prayer of qiyâm al-layl [standing in the night]; the late night voluntary prayer. This wonderful Sunnah of our beloved Prophet (ﷺ) should be revived in every home. Try to cultivate this habit and you will notice many positive changes in your life.

The late night Prayer is a mark of the righteous believer who loves Allah and whom Allah loves. There are such high rewards for this Prayer because it is almost the only prayer that is done in secret. Usually, none sees you standing on your rug for this prayer except Allah, because everyone else in your household is asleep. It is the most sincere act of worship done solely to gain Allah’s pleasure.

Abu Huraira reported that the Prophet (ﷺ) said,

Our Lord [Allah] descends to the lowest heaven in the last third of every night, and He says: Who is calling upon me that I may answer him? Who is asking from me that I may give him? Who is seeking my forgiveness that I may forgive him? (Jami’ Al-Tirmidhi 3498)

Qiyâm al-layl raises a person in status before Allah, increases good deeds, absolves bad deeds, and brings one closer to Allah. Prayer at night is light for the believer, and it is attended by the angels of mercy. There is so much blessing in this prayer. You may think that you will feel tired the next day due to lack of sleep. However, when you actually do wake up for this prayer and perform it with mindfulness, the next day your body feels rejuvenated and not sleepy or tired at all!

The time for praying qiyâm al-layl begins after ‘Isha’ Prayer and lasts until the break of dawn. The best time to pray it is the last third of the night. If you think you will be unable to pray qiyâm every night, aim to pray qiyâm once a week, or at least once a month. Keep it part of your routine.

It was narrated that Anas bin Malik said:

“I was sitting with the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) and a man was standing and praying. When he bowed, prostrated and recited the tashahhud, he supplicated, and in his supplication he said:

Allahumma inni as’alu-ka bi-anna la-ka al-hamd, La ilaha illa ant, Al-Mannanu, Badi’u al-samawati wa al-ard, ya Dha al-Jalali wa Al-Ikram! YA HAYYU YA QAYYUM! Inni as’alu-ka.

O Allah, indeed I ask of You since all praise is due to You — there is none worthy of worship but You, The Bestower, The Creator of the heavens and earth, O Possessor of majesty and honor, O EVER-LIVING, O ETERNAL! I ask of You.)’

The Prophet (ﷺ) said: ‘Do you know what he has supplicated with?’ They said: “Allah (SWT) and His Messenger know best.” He said: ‘By the One in Whose Hand is my soul, he called upon Allah by His greatest Name, which, if He is called by it, He responds, and if He is asked by it, He gives.'” (Sunan Al-Nasa’i #1300)

In conclusion, we will end our discussion with a shorter supplication to memorize and to say every morning:

O Ever Living, O Self-Subsisting and Sustainer of all. By Your mercy I seek assistance. Rectify for me all of my affairs. And do not leave me to myself, even for the blink of an eye.”

Yâ hayyû, yâ qayyûmu. Bi-rahmati-ka astaghîth. Aslih l-î sha’-nî kullah. Wa lâ takil-nî ilâ nafsî, tarfata ‘ayn.

99 Names of Allah - Al-Qayyum

DesertRose

Superstar
Al-Waahid

-

The Only One
2:163 And your Allah is One Allah. There is no god but He, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.
Allah calls Himself Al-Waahid— The One— on five occasions in the Quran. Al-Waahid is the source of everything in existence. Al-Waahid is the One, He is Alone and He is Unique in every single way!

The One, Apart From Others

Waahid comes from the root waw-haa-daal, which points to four main meanings. The first meaning is to be one, to be made one and to be called one. The second main meaning is to connect, join and unite. The third is to be unique and singular and the fourth is to be one apart from others.
This root appears 68 times in the Quran in four derived forms. Examples of these forms are waahidan(“one”), waahidatan (“single”) and wahdahu (“alone”).

Linguistically waahid means one who is one, or alone, apart from others. Tawheed also comes from this root and it means unification or asserting oneness.
Tawheedullaah means to belief that Allah is One without partner in His dominion and His actions (Ruboobiyyah), One without similitude in His essence and attributes (Asmaa wa Sifaat), and One without rival in His divinity and in worship (Uloohiyyah/Uboodiyyah). Disregarding one of these aspects of Tawheed is shirk (literally sharing); the association of partners with Allah. Being One is a quality of Allah ‘azza wajal wich nobody else shares with Him. He is the One and Only in His being, authority, actions and powers!

Al-Waahid Himself says: . . . and all creatures will come out before Allah , the One, the Prevailing [Quran, 14:48].. O [my] two companions of prison, are separate lords better or Allah , the One, the Prevailing? [Quran, 12:39]… Say, [O Muhammad], “I am only a warner, and there is not any deity except Allah , the One, the Prevailing [Quran, 38:65] .. Exalted is He; He is Allah, the One, the Prevailing [Quran, 39:4] ..To whom belongs [all] sovereignty this Day? To Allah , the One, the Prevailing [Quran, 40:16]

A Powerful Combination

Allah ‘azza wajal chose His Name Al-Waahid to be paired with His Name Al-Qahhaar on each occasion in the Quran!
This Beautiful Name illustrates that He has the supreme authority and ultimate power to do anything. Al-Qahhaar can subdue anyone to compel him or her to His will and He does so with perfect knowledge and justice and this great ability belongs to Him only. All that is in the heavens and the earth submits, willingly or unwillingly, to Al-Waahid alone!

1. Remind yourself and others of His Oneness.
The Oneness of Allah is a principle you need to keep reminding yourself of. His Oneness is the core message all the Prophets, peace be upon them all, were sent with! If you truly understand Al-Waahid, you will worship Him accordingly. Remind yourself He is the Only One able to do everything, so in your daily life, make dua only to Him, sacrifice only for Him and give sadaqah only for Him. Study tawheed and its meanings and teach this Name to your children and others!

2. Turn to Him first. We know we have to believe in Al-Waahid alone, but in daily life when difficulty hits us we often turn to other means to try to relieve ourselves. When you have a problem turn to Him turn to Him first and then to other means to your disposal. When you are ill, don’t just grab a medicine quickly, but first ask Al-Waahid to provide you cure. When you are hurt, don’t immediately vent your heartache to a friend, ask Al-Waahid to mend your heart first. Why turn to anyone else if you can turn to The Sustainer of the Heavens and the earth?

3. See Al-Waahid’s proof all around you.
The integration of the whole universe is a proof for the Oneness of Allah. The orbit of the sun and the moon, the composition of the air, the earth, the sees and the planets, the birth of a child, the perfect works of the human body are all proofs that there is only One Creator Who is the source of all of these diverse manifestations of His Unity. So look around you to increase your awe for His Beautiful Oneness!

4. Trust in Al-Waahid.
Tawheed means you recognize He alone manages the affairs of the creation. Nothing or no one else creates, sustains, grants, withholds, brings back to life, causes death, nor manages the affairs of every single person, nor sees their innermost feelings, except Al-Waahid. So put your trust in Him and know that only He will deal with you with perfect wisdom and justice at all times!

5. Learn how to protect yourself from shirk.
Gain knowledge about shirk and its types so you can protect yourself from it as best as you can. Al-Waahid says: Surely Allah does not forgive that anything should be associated with Him, and forgives what is besides that to whomsoever He pleases; and whoever associates anything with Allah, he devises indeed a great sin. [Quran, 4:48] This shows you beautifully that Al-Waahid forgives all sins, except shirk. However, repentance wipes out each and every sin, even an act of shirk! The Prophet salallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam taught you this comprehensive supplication regarding shirk:

Allaahumma innee ‘aoothu bika an ushrika bika shaiann wa anaa a’lamu, wa astaghfiruka limaa laa a’lamu.

O Allah, I seek refuge in You lest I associate anything with You knowingly, and I seek Your forgiveness for what I know not [Ahmad] Memorize it and ask Al-Waahid with it each day!

To read about the Name of Allah Al-Ahad, click here.
To read about the Name of Allah Al-Qahhaar, click here.

Wallahu ta’alaa ‘alem.

O Allah, Al-Waahid we know that You are the One and Only. Grant us correct and unshakable belief in Your Oneness, allow us to truly understand and appreciate this Beautiful Name, act upon it and spread the message of Your Oneness to others. Make us reflect your Creation and protect and forgive us from all types of shirk, ameen!

The difference between the names of Allah, Al-Wahid & Al-Ahad | Abu Bakr Zoud

DesertRose

Superstar
Al-Ahad

-

The Sole One
112:1 Say: He is Allah, the One and Only;

Praise be to Allah.
Yes, al-Ahad is one of the names of Allaah which are mentioned in the Qur’aan. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“Say (O Muhammad): He is Allaah, (the) One.
Allaah-us-Samad [Allaah — the Self-Sufficient Master, Whom all creatures need, (He neither eats nor drinks)].”
[al-Ikhlaas 112:1-2]

Therefore it is permissible to call your son ‘Abd al-Ahad or ‘Abd al-Samad.
Shaykh ‘Abd al-Rahmaan al-Barraak.

The meaning of al-Ahad is the Unique, who is forever One and has never and will never have another alongside Him. (al-Nihaayah, 1/35).
Allaah is Unique in His Oneness, in being One in His essence and attributes. Some (scholars) differentiated between al-Waahidand al-Ahad by saying that al-Waahid refers to His being one in His essence only, whilst al-Ahad means that He is one in both His essence and His attributes. (Tafseer Asmaa’ Allaah by al-Zajjaaj, p. 58).

And it was said that al-Waahid means He is unique in His essence and does not have any peer or rival, and al-Ahad is Unique in His attributes. So al-Waahid is one in and of Himself, and al-Ahad means being one in His attributes. Al-Ahad is one of the attributes of Allaah which belong uniquely to Him, and in which nothing else has a share. (Lisaan al-‘Arab –Ahad – 1/35; wahida 8/4779 – 4783).

Allaah is al-Waahid al-Ahad, and has no second, no partner, no peer and no rival. He is al-Waahid upon Whom His slaves depend and Whom they seek. They do not put their trust in anyone except Him. (Ishtiqaaq Asmaa’ Allaah, 90-93). He is al-Waahid and there is none like unto Him. Everything other than Him that is called one in some aspect will not be one in many other aspects. (Sha’n al-Du’aa’, 82-83)

Ibn Jareer believed that the Oneness of Allaah ruled out there being anything else that could be like Him. Allaah has no peer and no rival. He is the One God, the One Lord, and no one other than Him deserves to be obeyed; no one other than Him should beworshipped. (Tafseer Ibn Jareer, 3/265-266)

And Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“And your Ilaah (God) is One Ilaah (God — Allaah)” [al-Baqarah 2:163]

Allaah is One and is Perfect in all ways; He has no partner or associate. His slaves must affirm His Oneness in their hearts and in their words and deeds, by acknowledging His absolute perfection and directing all acts of worship solely to Him. (Tayseer al-Kareem al-Rahmaan, 5/485)
Al Ahad - The Only One, the Unique | 13 | A Life with Allah | Sheikh Ali Hammuda

Allah is Al-Ahad | Names of Allah | Imam Tom Facchine