So this is happening...

Haich

Superstar
That’s definitely true. We don’t like to be „open“ to strangers in general. Very strange, I know lol
Ah, I see. Thanks for clarifying.

Not strange at all, but Brits are quite good with small talk and try to fill the awkward pauses and I found with my German students they struggled to hold the conversation...

illuminatimess

Veteran

Not strange at all, but Brits are quite good with small talk and try to fill the awkward pauses and I found with my German students they struggled to hold the conversation...
But once you get to know a German better, they will talk like waterfalls haha

Lisa

Superstar
People should be able to discuss these things without it seeming like they are taking shots. We all realize some stereotypes are true. I agree that young Americans seem like snowflakes to me these days and that Germans are too serious and mechanical. It is like, crack a smile. It does not mean what I say is accurate. It is just fun with conversing. I can crack on some blokes and their ways if need be too, LOL.
So...you’re back? You were just pouting before? I’m not trolling, just trying to get a definitive answer.

justjess

Superstar
You are taking this personal. And no to the other person, I would not like to live in New York but I like to visit and will do so again.

I listed links showing that the masses think New Yorkers are rude. You bring up Trump again. I do not think all the people in the first several links that come up in a google search are all Trump supporters.

You mentioned my point in that people from different places have takes that differ. It is not my fault is world travelers and Americans from afar think New York is a rude place. So, don't shoot the messenger for conversing.

As for the Florida comments, I was just stating that Sunshine probably took offense, It was speculation and my memory... I just creating a lot of what I read.
The problem here is that there is a ton of anti NY/NJ sentiment arising among the populace. It isn’t just sunshine’s comment. I’ve seen it in every place I go.. local message boards, here, prepper groups, my neighbors.. everywhere. And it isn’t because ny’ers are “rude” - they are scapegoating NY for the problems this country is facing and justifying it with a prejudicial statement that they are rude. That’s wrong and that’s scary.. and if people don’t think the sentiment will be returned in the future when the shoe is on the other foot they are going to be sorely disappointed.

I know I’m loud and blunt, proud of that - don’t care. I also know I’d give you the shirt off my back if you needed it. And NY’ers do just that, time and time again when other regions are facing crisis. Not this time. Not if people are going to blame us for the death that’s coming for everyone - we just had the misfortune of experiencing first.

Haich

Superstar
People should be able to discuss these things without it seeming like they are taking shots. We all realize some stereotypes are true. I agree that young Americans seem like snowflakes to me these days and that Germans are too serious and mechanical. It is like, crack a smile. It does not mean what I say is accurate. It is just fun with conversing. I can crack on some blokes and their ways if need be too, LOL.
Yh some stereotypes are accurate lol

I'm not sure if anyone took it too seriously though.

The Zone

Star
The problem here is that there is a ton of anti NY/NJ sentiment arising among the populace. It isn’t just sunshine’s comment. I’ve seen it in every place I go.. local message boards, here, prepper groups, my neighbors.. everywhere. And it isn’t because ny’ers are “rude” - they are scapegoating NY for the problems this country is facing and justifying it with a prejudicial statement that they are rude. That’s wrong and that’s scary.. and if people don’t think the sentiment will be returned in the future when the shoe is on the other foot they are going to be sorely disappointed.

I know I’m loud and blunt, proud of that - don’t care. I also know I’d give you the shirt off my back if you needed it. And NY’ers do just that, time and time again when other regions are facing crisis. Not this time. Not if people are going to blame us for the death that’s coming for everyone - we just had the misfortune of experiencing first.
Honestly, I just think that is because New York is so big and in the limelight. I really haven't seen anymore hate on the northeasters than I have rednecks in the south or similar places and peoples. I think we just pick up on things quicker if the comments are where we were born or from. There are just a ton of stereotypes. You are loud and blunt because you are a New Yorker. It's all good. I think 9-11 even though it was a farce brought many together and it would happen again. People dislike things that are foreign to them. I will tell you a great story of when I stayed in New York in my early 20's for the first time and the culture shock which ensued. It is a truly funny story and sheds light on learning cultures from all involved.
So...you’re back? You were just pouting before? I’m not trolling, just trying to get a definitive answer.
I am b..... bored. So, yes, I am back, sort of or for now. I figured you could see that with your eyes.

Lisa

Superstar
I am b..... bored. So, yes, I am back, sort of or for now. I figured you could see that with your eyes.
I was confused why you’d post when you said you were gonna leave, never to return...so you weren’t exactly being honest then.

justjess

Superstar
Honestly, I just think that is because New York is so big and in the limelight. I really haven't seen anymore hate on the northeasters than I have rednecks in the south or similar places and peoples. I think we just pick up on things quicker if the comments are where we were born or from. There are just a ton of stereotypes. You are loud and blunt because you are a New Yorker. It's all good. I think 9-11 even though it was a farce brought many together and it would happen again. People dislike things that are foreign to them. I will tell you a great story of when I stayed in New York in my early 20's for the first time and the culture shock which ensued. It is a truly funny story and sheds light on learning cultures from all involved.

Every state that has announced some sort of travel ban has specifically done it against ny. People are bitching about ny’ers going to their second homes for quarantine all over the place...

It’s a weird place to be, living in rural America but from NY/NJ with my entire family living there.. very strange indeed.

I’m sure it was culture shock.. walking from one neighborhood to another in Brooklyn can cause culture shock even for someone who lives there. Moving to PA, even after living her for so long, is also a type of culture shock.

Lisa

Superstar
Or he changed his mind? Shit happens.

Anything on topic to contribute?
I don’t think its a bad thing to question him and find out what’s going on, especially since he quit so spectacularly...VC was going to stop him from coming back..

Lurker

Star

justjess

Superstar

Cintra

Star

Nearly always the weather!
I always fall back on the weather in an awkward pause.