So this is happening...

Tidal

Star
Here in Britain we're allowed to go out to buy food, that makes sense, but if some countries are banning going out for food, that's just asking for trouble because people are bound to risk going out rather than starve.

AlcyoneSong

Established
Here in Britain we're allowed to go out to buy food, that makes sense, but if some countries are banning going out for food, that's just asking for trouble because people are bound to risk going out rather than starve.
My SIL lives in Barry and she said they were patrolling the streets with a loudspeaker on the vehicle telling people to stay in like something out of Dr Who...

justjess

Superstar
He waited ridiculously long to shut things down, allowed spring break to happen.. and now wants to enforce this by police? Sounds like he’s a little dictatorish huh? Not much common sense..

Tidal

Star
Farmers are sitting pretty miles out in the countryside well away from the rest of the virus-ridden slobs in the cities, i've often wished I lived in the country myself for a hassle-free lifestyle, what could possibly go wrong?..:)
Oh wait...

Vulpesrex

Rookie

Michigan has a $1,000 fine they announced today but its kinda selectively enforced. If you're driving down the street you're fine but if you're BBQing in the park and it's all over Facebook you're getting ticketed. Which has happened recently:

AlcyoneSong

Established
He waited ridiculously long to shut things down, allowed spring break to happen.. and now wants to enforce this by police? Sounds like he’s a little dictatorish huh? Not much common sense..
I'm not sure where YOU were but my Spring Break sucked, because on March 21st EVERYTHING started to shut down by March 28th Private Beaches were shut down. Parks and Public beaches were shut down March 17th. Obviously there were people who still found ways around the restrictions like idiots rafting their boats, but that's what led to this now. Every night we've had military type air-sea craft flying over the house coming into Page Field and back out to the Gulf. I'm guessing they are using them to patrol the beaches and coastline for people.

The fines, and now the threat of jail time WITHOUT BOND is ridiculous. Basically treating people like criminals for what? Meeting together? SMH whatever. The freedom to assemble is in the Bill of Rights. Even before the Right to Bear Arms. I didn't think we would need militias in this day, but now it's looking more like militias are going to be the ones that are going to bail us out.

Johnny5

Veteran
I'm not sure where YOU were but my Spring Break sucked, because on March 21st EVERYTHING started to shut down by March 28th Private Beaches were shut down. Parks and Public beaches were shut down March 17th. Obviously there were people who still found ways around the restrictions like idiots rafting their boats, but that's what led to this now. Every night we've had military type air-sea craft flying over the house coming into Page Field and back out to the Gulf. I'm guessing they are using them to patrol the beaches and coastline for people.

The fines, and now the threat of jail time WITHOUT BOND is ridiculous. Basically treating people like criminals for what? Meeting together? SMH whatever. The freedom to assemble is in the Bill of Rights. Even before the Right to Bear Arms. I didn't think we would need militias in this day, but now it's looking more like militias are going to be the ones that are going to bail us out.
Check this out about spring break.

AlcyoneSong

Established

AlcyoneSong

Established
I honestly have no comment, none. This whole thing has been handled really badly, first with people panic buying, next things getting shut down, and now threatening arrest without bond is beyond stupid. But hey New York Gov Cuomo pretty much threw down the gauntlet and is threatening to take respirators from hospitals that are "quiet" to give to more busier ones and promising to "pay them for the respirators" later... with money.... from... peoples taxes... who aren't working... because of Corona.

Lurker

Star
Anyone arrested for violating isolation or quarantine orders issued by the Florida Department of Health will be held without bond, according to the Supreme Court of Florida.

People arrested will be held without bond pending the first appearance.

At first appearance, the judge may accept testimony from the State Health Officer or Department of Health and make a determination whether setting a bond or bail is appropriate.

First appearance is usually the next day. I don't really have much of a problem with this.

justjess

Superstar
I’m pretty sure that people are never given bond before a first appearance except with like statutory crimes when your given a ticket and told to appear later (which aren’t even crimes imo and shouldn’t be in reality)

Theres a ton of police overreach going on here though. It’s not cool. The people begging for it.. even less cool. Just stay the fuck home and take some personal responsibility here, not that hard. I don’t get it.

@AlcyoneSong governor cuomo has every right to take ventilators from hospitals in his state that aren’t being used and move them to the hospitals that need them. NYC is under siege. People are dying. We should all be working together and it’s sad that he even should have to do this - they should just be doing it voluntarily.

Lurker

Star
I’m pretty sure that people are never given bond before a first appearance
You'd be surprised. I saw a guy get ROR after booking for DUI. Also, some localities have standings bonds for low level (first?) offences.
statutory crimes when your given a ticket and told to appear later (which aren’t even crimes imo and shouldn’t be in reality)
Agreed. No victim, no crime.
they should just be doing it voluntarily.
Probably holding them in case they need them. I'm not going to return my TP or even try to sell it.

justjess

Superstar
You'd be surprised. I saw a guy get ROR after booking for DUI. Also, some localities have standings bonds for low level (first?) offences.

Agreed. No victim, no crime.

Probably holding them in case they need them. I'm not going to return my TP or even try to sell it.
Doesn’t a judge still have to make the decision to ROR? If so, that is a first appearance. If the arresting officer or police station can do it that’s different.. but I’ve never seen that. All my experience is also with felonies so I just might be ignorant here.

I get wanting to hold on to them, but it isn’t the right thing in this case. 2700 of the deaths in NY have been in NYC (2/3rds) , more than half the total cases as well. If they aren’t being used upstate and the need isn’t imminent then they need to be moved where they are needed. And then moved again when they are needed elsewhere. I see no other option when the whole country is completely depleted of resources with no ability to get more anytime in the near future - atleast not quickly enough to meet the need.

It’s a little disconcerting to me... to see angry violent calls for the people of NYC to stay in NYC, coupled with even a backlash against sending the necessary equipment TO NYC. It’s almost as if people have no problem with letting the city slickers die is mass numbers in a way that should be preventable.

Lurker

Star
Doesn’t a judge still have to make the decision to ROR? If so, that is a first appearance. If the arresting officer or police station can do it that’s different.. but I’ve never seen that. All my experience is also with felonies so I just might be ignorant here.

I get wanting to hold on to them, but it isn’t the right thing in this case. 2700 of the deaths in NY have been in NYC (2/3rds) , more than half the total cases as well. If they aren’t being used upstate and the need isn’t imminent then they need to be moved where they are needed. And then moved again when they are needed elsewhere. I see no other option when the whole country is completely depleted of resources with no ability to get more anytime in the near future - atleast not quickly enough to meet the need.

It’s a little disconcerting to me... to see angry violent calls for the people of NYC to stay in NYC, coupled with even a backlash against sending the necessary equipment TO NYC. It’s almost as if people have no problem with letting the city slickers die is mass numbers in a way that should be preventable.
I get you. You care. Do you know if any of the deaths were from lack of ventilators? I don't think there are any right answers here, just some that are less wrong.

Side note: I want people to stay in NYC when they're healthy. ;)

justjess

Superstar
I get you. You care. Do you know if any of the deaths were from lack of ventilators? I don't think there are any right answers here, just some that are less wrong.

Side note: I want people to stay in NYC when they're healthy. ;)
They have not run out of ventilators yet. So no, the deaths haven’t been for lack of ventilators. They were on schedule to run out of ventilators in four days, as of this morning China has donated 1,000 more that arrive today and Oregon donated 140 (I think) so at the rate of intubations (300/day) they just bought themselves about four more days provided the rate of intubation does not increase.

It’s hard not to care when your entire family is trapped in that death hole atm.

Lol.. ny’ers really aren’t that bad man. I don’t understand why everyone hates them so much. I can’t stand NYC in many ways, but that isn’t because of the people, it’s because I recognized a long time ago it’s a death hole. Also: that rat race mentality gets old. More important things in life as far as I’m concerned.

Lurker

Star
They have not run out of ventilators yet. So no, the deaths haven’t been for lack of ventilators. They were on schedule to run out of ventilators in four days, as of this morning China has donated 1,000 more that arrive today and Oregon donated 140 (I think) so at the rate of intubations (300/day) they just bought themselves about four more days provided the rate of intubation does not increase.

It’s hard not to care when your entire family is trapped in that death hole atm.

Lol.. ny’ers really aren’t that bad man. I don’t understand why everyone hates them so much. I can’t stand NYC in many ways, but that isn’t because of the people, it’s because I recognized a long time ago it’s a death hole. Also: that rat race mentality gets old. More important things in life as far as I’m concerned.
Maybe it's just big city people I don't like. Maybe it's just people. We may never know. I'm glad you got out and am sorry you still have family there. Also, I hope you have a garden going. It's good for the stomach and soul. And the puppy :D

Lurker

Star
this is getting too far!! my ratty ass neighbors legit called the cops on my fam and I since we were celebrating a birthday for MY GRANDMA WHOSE 80 YEARS OLD and they gave us a warning to not do this again (since it's breaking social distancing orders) now I can't see my grandma or my wonderful folks without possibly getting arrested next time
the party was cancelled early and they sent us away i canttttt
THE COPS CAN TAKE THIS FAT L
CAUSE IMMA GO OVER
Yeah, that's bullshit. Snitches get stitches. Where are you? General locality is fine. Nothing too specific.