Random Thoughts

TaraGaia

Rookie
I do still want to hear from him how his latest trip to Peru went, I really enjoyed reading his recap from the last one.
Yeah me too. He hasn't replied to my messages so I didn't know he was back already. But good for him that he's shifting away from here. I totally relate some days ;)

Ugh, it's been freezing here all week after being in the mid 70s to 80s the last couple of weeks. Sucks balls. Hopefully this is the last of it.
Hope so too for you!

The sun shines brightly here, I feel alive :D

Lisa

Superstar
He is back actually, but just busy. I imagine he knows that this place is back up, but I honestly can't see him having much interest in posting here as he doesn't even post on his own forum really. His interests have mostly shifted away from conspiracy culture, plus life and work and all. I do still want to hear from him how his latest trip to Peru went, I really enjoyed reading his recap from the last one.

Ugh, it's been freezing here all week after being in the mid 70s to 80s the last couple of weeks. Sucks balls. Hopefully this is the last of it.
Ya, interests do change and he really was into his Peru trips....

Sorry your cold it was in the 70's here yesterday :)
But since it's still winter I'm sure I'll be crying about the cold sometime soon!

The Zone

Star
The trophies are an interesting feature as they (somewhat) promote participation for some. However, they are also somewhat pointless because the top trophy is for like 500 likes, and that will be attained by most frequent posters within the first few months.

I personally don't think the Like System works very well for a site like this anyway because historically (from my perspective anyway) the likes mostly just promote division where one group of similar thinkers like all of their similar thinking friends' posts and the other group does the same. I believe the original intent when we put the system in place was to allow the less vocal posters a way to show their support of a post or appreciation for a post without having to quote the post and say "Totally agree!" and not much else, so it cut down on 'spammy' posts. I just don't think it has really worked that well, instead it encourages something of a popularity contest.

That's just my two cents though.
I agree. I think your input and conversations should stand on its own. I feel it might discourage newcomers as well and that some posters use their numbers to intimidate others. Some are also driven by numbers and become sort of dominant posters while others become like gnats on every thread. If this was a social experiment, it would be entertaining with the resets. There is already a drastically different dynamic in place...but it is quite early here this go round. It will be interesting to see if former regular posters come back and if factions are once again formed. Just becacue I may have different spiritual beleifs than another member, does not mean we don't have similar tastes in many things and it should not be the sole reason for liking a person or being open at times to their views. But I have seen some have a hard time adjusting to change mainly the old guard. They want people to know they have been around and that in a sense is similar to wanting a trophy of a distinguished nature of something...food for thought on a slippery slope. Anyhow, here is to hoping there are less character attacks with no proof whatsoever and that people do not fall prey to vanity. If we get civility and fairness, I can live with whatever like system is implemented.

Last edited:

Loki

Established
I agree. I think your input and conversations should stand on its own. I feel it might discourage newcomers as well and that some posters use their numbers to intimidate others. Some are also driven by numbers and become sort of dominant posters while others become like gnats on every thread. If this was a social experiment, it would be entertaining with the resets. There is already a drastically different dynamic in place...but it is quite early here this go round. It will be interesting to see if former regular posters come back and if factions are once again formed. Just becacue I may have different spiritual beleifs than another member, does not mean we don't have similar tastes in man things and it should not be the sole reason for liking a person or being open at times to their views. But I have seen some have a hard time adjusting to change mainly the old guard. They want people to know they have been around and that in a sense is similar to wanting a trophy of a distinguished nature of something...food for thought on a slippery slope. Anyhow, here is to hoping there are less character attacks with no proof whatsoever and that people do not fall prey to vanity. If we get civiluty and fairness, I can live with whatever like system is implemented.
Honestly, it would be sort of cool to just have a little badge that says "OG" next to our name and 'rank' if we are from the first or second boards some 8 years ago. But obviously being an OG of the boards doesn't mean your opinion has any more or less value than a new member.

We have a like system at the Vigilant Forums, but because of our low numbers it doesn't feel abused like it has been in past iterations of this board, it's simply a way of saying you appreciated either the message or the effort put into that post. Perhaps it will work here this time, only time will tell really. I just don't feel it has been a positive addition, and I think I was one of the people who suggested it originally, so for that I apologize to everyone.

Lisa

Superstar
Honestly, it would be sort of cool to just have a little badge that says "OG" next to our name and 'rank' if we are from the first or second boards some 8 years ago. But obviously being an OG of the boards doesn't mean your opinion has any more or less value than a new member.

We have a like system at the Vigilant Forums, but because of our low numbers it doesn't feel abused like it has been in past iterations of this board, it's simply a way of saying you appreciated either the message or the effort put into that post. Perhaps it will work here this time, only time will tell really. I just don't feel it has been a positive addition, and I think I was one of the people who suggested it originally, so for that I apologize to everyone.
So we have you to thank? ;)

williejonesjr

Veteran
Random thought. My neighbor of about 4 or 5 years moved today. It's going to be so quiet around here now. She was my alarm clock, her bf my mechanic. We used to drink wine in the summer. I will miss her living next door.

New ppl are moving in on the first. It's going to be a big change.

justjess

Superstar
The likes never cause anything but trouble.

I've been buried in three feet of snow since Tuesday, the boards coming back a couple days sooner would have been a welcome distraction from that particular misery. I envy anyone who escaped this god awful blizzard

Lisa

Superstar

I've been buried in three feet of snow since Tuesday, the boards coming back a couple days sooner would have been a welcome distraction from that particular misery. I envy anyone who escaped this god awful blizzard
I thought the blizzard wasn't that bad?

Lisa

Superstar
Random thought. My neighbor of about 4 or 5 years moved today. It's going to be so quiet around here now. She was my alarm clock, her bf my mechanic. We used to drink wine in the summer. I will miss her living next door.

New ppl are moving in on the first. It's going to be a big change.
Cute dog! Sorry that you're losing your good neighbors, hope the next ones will be just as good!

williejonesjr

Veteran
Cute dog! Sorry that you're losing your good neighbors, hope the next ones will be just as good!
Thank you for the kind words. From what I've seen it's going to be 2 older ladies and their granddaughter. At this point, I'm hoping it's peace & quiet!

williejonesjr

Veteran

We got a morning's worth of snow here last Saturday. But it's been a cold cold week. I've got so much work to catch up on now bc of the cold! I'll never get my garden tilled at this rate!

Here's to warmer temps, mate!