Notre Dame Cathedral Fire

The Zone

Star
No matter the religion, a structure of this ilk and history would in 99% of cases have extra security measures in case of fire, etc. This is why the whole thing is curious and in our face. It is in some ways, scary how this situation can divide if a narrative comes out of the ashes and that is what we are watching for. And that narrative could be so many things all of which divide.

I’m surprised so many people care about an “evil” Catholic Church burning, on a site so frequently filled with nothing but hate for Catholics and the Catholic Church.
Feeling standoffish today? LOL The conversation is not exactly about the Catholic church but the symbolism of any Cathedral, Mosque, etc that has major historical significance burning in an unstable political climate.

If one watches closely, they will see the emotion that this kind of thing plays to as in feelings of people surface quickly. It is a powerful tool.

justjess

Superstar
No matter the religion, a structure of this ilk and history would in 99% of cases have extra security measures in case of fire, etc. This is why the whole thing is curious and in our face. It is in some ways, scary how this situation can divide if a narrative comes out of the ashes and that is what we are watching for. And that narrative could be so many things all of which divide.

Feeling standoffish today? LOL The conversation is not exactly about the Catholic church but the symbolism of any Cathedral, Mosque, etc that has major historical significance burning in an unstable political climate.

If one watches closely, they will see the emotion that this kind of thing plays to as in feelings of people surface quickly. It is a powerful tool.
Standoffish? No, not particularly. Just making note of it. As a former catholic who’s entire family is catholic the amount of catholic hate around here always stood out to me and I find it a little hypocritical tbh. But it is what it is.

The first thing I thought was arson, but then I saw all the scaffolding and considered that it must be hard to renovate such an old building with such old and flammable materials - one tiny misstep could have easily caused a catastrophe. I’m open to all explanations but I’m not sold on any quite yet.

That's indisputable, we see it happening immediately from the right-wing extremists and Islamophobes. There's already a 1000 different takes on the fire, probably 10's of thousands?

I agree with some of the other posters though, this may not be an accident. I read it was the largest "viewed as it's happening" catastrophe of this sort since 9/11, that's a big deal. Buildings burn down for a reason, just like people wage war and kill for a reason... not everything is chance.

It’s a bad omen, I’ll say that much. To me it’s a reminder that all things decay, and nothing’s untouchable from the trailer park to Notre Dame. I do believe in this case the truth is and will be a random accident, I fear however the truth will be rejected as too painful and it will be organized into a nice and tidy Conspiracy Theory many of which will be used to persecute immigrants, Muslims, atheists, whoever really.

Catholics are Christians now? :eek:

Only when they can use them to spread their right wing paranoias lol

The Zone

Star
Yeah, those dastardly right-wing types are so politically incorrect. It is odd how every thread turns into personal preference and beliefs. And then some wonder why the supposed in many cases "the other side" will respond. Yeah, that really expands discussion (Sc). Seriously, some fail to see where Christianity could be a victim as well. Who is to say this is not a symbolic tearing down of faith as many have known traditionally, only to rebuild some agenda based new or altered religion? A tweaking if you will of belief systems.

The trailer park and Notre Dame Cathedral reference were a bit much. A trailer park depreciates in value and is never cared for like a cathedral from the 18th century. Also, did others here miss the reformation remarks? Sure, there are some protestant Christians who think the Catholic Church is symbolic, born from Rome, etc. But most know practicing Catholics good people and that they are not responsible for any crookedness that has occurred.

On the other hand, we can easily see that this situation could possibly be natural in nature, but it could also be covered up and nobody will ever know. The spins are plentiful. In the end, for me, the timing and symbology here are too much to ignore. But, if we look at this through a left/right paradigm you will never see what really happened and may never have anything other than an opinion. Truth can be a fleeting animal.

justjess

Superstar
As I said @The Zone im open to any explanation and my first thought was arson so I’m not dismissing the possibility. I’m sorry if me pointing out the hypocrisy bothers you, but the hypocrisy itself bothers me. It bothers me when I see threads filled with hate towards Catholics calling them Satan worshippers etc. It bothers me now when some of those same people are acting like this is all of a sudden their Christian brethren when three days ago of asked they would have condemned them to hell.

DesertRose

Superstar
Notre Dame & Other Symbols Of Armageddon | Russell Brand
Russel Brand discusses the sense of loss and impermanence that people feel when national symbols of achievements are burning. Also, that people are unnerved by the fragility of civilization when confronted with the image of the burning cathedral it exist as a sign of Armageddon.
The images of Notre Dame, Grenfell and The Twin Towers burning give us a sense of loss, impermanence and society falling apart.

mecca

Superstar
It will be rebuilt. Sometimes accidents happen, there's absolutely no reason to believe that "Christians are being targeted" or that "Muslims are taking over". While the flames were still burning, people were already making up conspiracies that claimed "the Muslims" did it. All evidence points towards this being a construction mishap, it has literally nothing to do with Muslims... but I guess everyone loves their scapegoat.

Yeah, those dastardly right-wing types are so politically incorrect.
Oh it goes way beyond 'politically incorrect'. Right wing conspiracy land ideology is toxic to the core and is responsible for an ever growing number of deaths. This is way beyond being edgy online. Convince the wrong person that Muslims did it and we'll see "retaliation". Those right-wing types in America are encouraging harm towards a sitting US Congresswoman by the way.

It is odd how every thread turns into personal preference and beliefs. .
How so? Everyone here is just providing their own interpretation of events, and of course that is influenced by personal preference and beliefs. You, the creator of this thread started it through a lens of personal preference or belief.

Seriously, some fail to see where Christianity could be a victim as well. Who is to say this is not a symbolic tearing down of faith as many have known traditionally, only to rebuild some agenda based new or altered religion? A tweaking if you will of belief systems.
Religion has been declining in France and most of the rest of Europe ( and America to a lesser extent ) so what's there to replace? Besides religions do have to evolve if they wish to be relevant. Christianity of a thousand years ago cannot be that same religion today. It's insistence on being that way is a huge driver for it's losses in recent decades. I remember when there used to be terrorist attacks with an Islamic motive and people would argue about how that was staged now the same people try and prove it was a muslim when something burns down.

The trailer park and Notre Dame Cathedral reference were a bit much. A trailer park depreciates in value and is never cared for like a cathedral from the 18th century.

Its pretty classist to assume that no one takes care of their trailers, depreciation aside and ignoring for now the fact about massive financial interests buy up the lots and engage in rent gouging- you really missed the point. Which is nothing is safe from time whether its a mobile home or Notre Dame Cathedral. There is an irony to this story that a restoration projection is ultimately responsible for nearly destroying it.

The spins are plentiful. In the end, for me, the timing and symbology here are too much to ignore. But, if we look at this through a left/right paradigm you will never see what really happened and may never have anything other than an opinion. Truth can be a fleeting animal.
Yeah the spins are plentiful, the biggest, most dangerous and irresponsible one is blaming Muslims without a shred of evidence. Yeah you don't have anything other than opinion. I'll have facts and verified reporting and I'll wait for further information to make any kind of speculation other than that anyone who knows anything about construction work will know that there are countless things that could have happened which support the idea of an accidental fire.

As I said three black churches were set on fire in ten days in the USA and no one said anything. A large US city still suffers from a toxic water problem that could be fixed 7 times over with the money raised for Notre Dame in one day. So excuse me for rolling my eyes when right wing intellectuals bitch about what a loss to "WESTERN CIVILIZATION".

One more time, trying to baselessly pin this on the MOSLEMS and an attack on Christianity is not only false but a dangerous idea that has real world consequences. We've seen it over and over and whether you or anyone else here see's it, reality does not change based on your feelings or denial of it.

justjess

Superstar
Are “leftists” not welcome in your threads? Was there something inherently “leftist” about me pointing out that it’s odd the outcry among people who have proven themselves to be vehemently anti catholic in the past?

If anything that seems more of a papist thing to say then a leftist thing to say. Or maybe it’s just that anything I say is automatically “leftist” by default because I don’t like trump?

You’ve gotten a bit out of control with this lately man.. we were previously able to have rational conversations but you are apparantly allergic to anything “left” lately and it’s kinda a shame. You are glaringly showing the same partisanship you have been railing at others about.

Vixy

Star
Catholics are Christians now? :eek:
They have set fire to 876 churches around France, England and Germany. I doubt they know the desctintion between chatolisism and chriatianity, really jess, think alittle bit before answering in such childish ways. You said you were a nanny or something, show that by not talking like a child, would you? ;)

Vixy

Star
It will be rebuilt. Sometimes accidents happen, there's absolutely no reason to believe that "Christians are being targeted" or that "Muslims are taking over". While the flames were still burning, people were already making up conspiracies that claimed "the Muslims" did it. All evidence points towards this being a construction mishap, it has literally nothing to do with Muslims... but I guess everyone loves their scapegoat.
"Accidents"..yeah all 876 of them.. Funny how it's called accidents when its christians being attacked but whe a mosque it's hate crime. lol!

Talked to some peeps about the situation and it can take 5-20 YEARS to rebuilt it and they were wondering how it was that they established it was accidental so fast? They had no men there that day, no workers as they first claimed so who got in?

And the rest 875 vandalised, burned and exploded churches where those who did it even defecated in the church, the house of GOD, are said to be muslim and to send someone to take the faut for it afterwards by calling him mentally ill but they knew what they were doing all along, this is an attack by muslims towards christians with the aim to break down christianity and to spread islam.

I SPIT on their plans!

Last edited:

The Zone

Star
Are “leftists” not welcome in your threads? Was there something inherently “leftist” about me pointing out that it’s odd the outcry among people who have proven themselves to be vehemently anti catholic in the past?

If anything that seems more of a papist thing to say then a leftist thing to say. Or maybe it’s just that anything I say is automatically “leftist” by default because I don’t like trump?

You’ve gotten a bit out of control with this lately man.. we were previously able to have rational conversations but you are apparantly allergic to anything “left” lately and it’s kinda a shame. You are glaringly showing the same partisanship you have been railing at others about.
Umm, no, anyone is welcome but you even just protested about my simple one-liner, LOL I just see it fruitless to discuss some things for I know where it ends. But hey, I have been getting used to pointing fingers and people telling me how I feel of late. So, don't say I am keeping you from freedom of speech when I am not. But you do protest. A lot. Seriously, you fired shots at anti-Catholics while not naming them, so, em, how does that help conversation?

I know you can never be 100% sure, but the French are huge patriots. Poor security measures? No way. The Notre Dame is the most visited tourist attraction in the world. People were crying in the streets. I was devastated by it myself. The whole incident had a sinister, almost apocalyptic undertone.

Why it happened? I go with creating chaos. Although it’s interesting to see the aftermath develop. 600 million euros already donated for rebuilding by the richest families in France. Macron promising to rebuilt in five years. People going nuts on facebook about the donations... Whatever they wanted to accomplish, I believe it’s working.