Manhood As Mental Disorder

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
Actually, I think on this occasion there is certainly a subtle truth in the Gillette advert:-

For me, it raised the question of the slogan "The best a man can get" by changing it to "The best a man can be".

As a man, am I more concerned with getting or being? Is the moment when you care more about who you are and what you stand for than what you can get the moment you truly become a man?

Does the advert brand all men as evil or does it honestly face evils all men are prone to? Of course, many men will go with the words of the Rag and Bone Man song "I'm only human" and unrepentantly fold their chosen vices round them like a blanket.

Other men wake up and see the way they have become consumed "trying to get" (either experiences or possessions) for what it is...

Last edited:

Wigi

Veteran
Actually, I thing on this occasion there is certainly a subtle truth in the Gillette advert:-

For me, it raised the question of the slogan "The best a man can get" by changing it to "The best a man can be".

As a man, am I more concerned with getting or being? Is the moment when you care more about who you are and what you stand for than what you can get the moment you truly become a man?

Does the advert brand all men as evil or does it honestly face evils all men are prone to? Of course, many men will go with the words of the Rag and Bone Man song "I'm only human" and unrepentantly fold their chosen vices round them like a blanket.

Other men wake up and see the way they have become consumed "trying to get" (either experiences or possessions) for what it is...

Something I thought was terribly wrong in the commercial it's this subtle, almost subliminal, idea that masculinity only represents toxic behaviors such as abuse, harassment and bullying instead of heroism, creativity or even fatherhood.

The commercial almost tells you that you need to give up masculinity or you will never become a man (boys will be boys) yet their depiction of 'masculinity' is wrong.

But to tell the truth, i'm not surprised that they try to redefine manhood because today's society don't want to have men but children (boys) who will be scared to be men, who only consume unnecessary stuffs (like that expensive gillette razor) and won't be thinking about what really matters in life.

As a christian, I'm a bit amused to see them recognizing that mankind isn't naturally good which is coherent with the Bible and in severe contradiction with their 'be yourself' humanist garbage.
Apparently it's no longer okay to be yourself unless when they are promoting sex related content in commercials that they could depict as 'toxic masculinity' but they don't.

Thank God I don't watch TV anymore, so much contradictions.

Aero

Superstar
I think it's more manly to stand up for the weak or marginalized members of society. But of course, we rarely see that happen. Moreover, I don't think anything has changed regarding gender roles. I think humans have always fit neatly into the wings of tribalistic behavior.

In fact, I would go so far as to argue that calling ourselves anything other than savages is an outright lie. In that sense, men are still men. They are just buried under a wave of faux positivity. Now I consider myself to be pretty positive, but I see little sense in projecting that outward. Because it accomplishes very little.

People need guidance. They don't need to hear about how much I love the sunshine, and how Ice Cream is a mood.

Lisa

Superstar
I think its a war on everything that is normal in life. It seems to me that somebody or something would like to change people’s opinion’s about what is normal and to make the abnormal the new normal in all areas of life..not just manhood. I think Biblically there is a reason this is happening which makes more sense then the occult elite, but they do happen to be the agents of change.

polymoog

Superstar
big corporations should just stick to selling their products and stay OUT of politics. this isnt the first time virtue signalling has backfired. why risk alienating your base? its just stupid PR if you ask me.
same should go for celebs. just do what you do best: act. their political opinion is as valuable as any slob on the street.

real men have beards, so... who needs gilette anyway.

1559189206050.png