I don't get it

Lurker

Star
I live a little south of 30 degrees north, but (on average) our coldest weather is in January. That is after the solstice, the weather should be getting better not worse.

Maes17

Superstar
Could be climate change, could be just a bad winter.
Where I live(southwest portion of the US) we get very mild winters. With a few days of really cold days sprinkled throughout. Weather usually doesn't warm though until about mid March.

I think it was 2011 or 2012 it snowed for a few minutes in May

Could be climate change, could be just a bad winter.
Where I live(southwest portion of the US) we get very mild winters. With a few days of really cold days sprinkled throughout. Weather usually doesn't warm though until about mid March.

I think it was 2011 or 2012 it snowed for a few minutes in May

I'm just a bit north from you on the high plains and its mild sunny winters as well. It snowed a little bit and there's been a bit of a coold down but usually mid 50s to mid 60s.

Todd

Star
Climate is definitely different than it was 40 years ago when I was a kid. I live now and grew up outside of Buffalo NY. When I was a kid once it snowed in early December we had snow cover on the ground until late March or so. Once the snow pack melted and you could see grass again it was pretty much the end of any significant snow accumulation.

Now, it is totally different. We get major lake effect snow accumulation and then within a week it seems it’s 40 or more degrees and all the snow melts before the next major storm or lake effect snow event.

Forecast says 12” to 24” snow next two days but then Sunday through Tuesday mid to high forties and rain. That 24” of snow will be gone by Wednesday next week.

Maes17

Superstar
Climate is definitely different than it was 40 years ago when I was a kid. I live now and grew up outside of Buffalo NY. When I was a kid once it snowed in early December we had snow cover on the ground until late March or so. Once the snow pack melted and you could see grass again it was pretty much the end of any significant snow accumulation.

Now, it is totally different. We get major lake effect snow accumulation and then within a week it seems it’s 40 or more degrees and all the snow melts before the next major storm or lake effect snow event.

Forecast says 12” to 24” snow next two days but then Sunday through Tuesday mid to high forties and rain. That 24” of snow will be gone by Wednesday next week.
When I read up on climate change. Some believe we're causing it with emissions and such. Whilst another group believes the earth goes through cycles.

Regardless of the sides though. Yes looking at historical averages as well there is definitely a change

elsbet

Superstar
I live a little south of 30 degrees north, but (on average) our coldest weather is in January. That is after the solstice, the weather should be getting better not worse.
I had to look up my coordinates... -.-

Still-- I'm right around 30°N... and its 36°F, right now. Clear and VERY cold. Some years, lately, it seems like we didn't even get to enjoy Winter. This year has been highs in the 70s for a few days... RAIN ---> Temp Drops dramatically ---> Repeat.

It hasn't "snowed" here since '89. :p

elsbet

Superstar
And maybe no, on this... the earth has had time to cool down, significantly. The sun is still further away... same way its cooler in the wee hours of the morning than when the sun is actually busy warming the opposite part of the world.

:)

Vixy

Star
Just wanted to say... I'm f-f-f-f-f-reezin' my ass off, its so cold! Just came in from a bike ride and it felt like my eyeballs were frozen. I-i-i-wanted t-t-t-o leave S-s-s-weden f-f-f-or N-ew York, but I s-s-s-e they're having it even c-c-colder over there so mayb-b-be not.

..s-s-s--ome swedish parts are having -40 celsius. Shit. My eyebrows just froze.

Last edited:

Lurker

Star
And maybe no, on this... the earth has had time to cool down, significantly. The sun is still further away... same way its cooler in the wee hours of the morning than when the sun is actually busy warming the opposite part of the world.

:)
Yeah, maybe. The ground and lakes and such have cooled, thereby, making it harder to actually warm up.

Lurker

Star
Just wanted to say... I'm f-f-f-f-f-reezin' my ass off, its so cold! Just came in from a bike ride and it felt like my eyeballs were frozen. I-i-i-wanted t-t-t-o leave S-s-s-weden f-f-f-or N-ew York, but I s-s-s-e they're having it even c-c-colder over there so mayb-b-be not.

..s-s-s--ome swedish parts are having -40 celsius. Shit. My eyebrows just froze.
Head down south to my area. Though I warn you, once you get used to the heat, there's no going back. Below 70f/21c feels cold.