Adhd, Do You Have It?

Tatilina

Star
As a child, going to school was the worst. No matter what I did, I was never socially accepted. It was especially hard once I got to grade 6-8. I was the loner, the loser with no friends, I was frequently made fun of because I had ADHD and did not lnow it was the main downfall to my endless failures in being socially awkward, unable to properly express myself in conveying what should be a simple message. It wasn't until I was 15 when I was finally diagnosed with ADHD. My parents couldn't understand why I couldn't score higher than 50% on a test/exam. I did all of my homework and my parents always made sure I studied with flash cards and other methods. No matter what, I always finished with a 50%. This too gave my fellow students another reason to make fun of me even more. Having ADHD is like a curse on your life that you cannot get rid of. I was once treated for about a year for my ADHD with a medication that is no longr used to treat it , Adventyl I believe is what it was called. The first two-three weeks my mother told the psychiatrist that she wanted me off of the meds because they had put me in a zombie like state. I hardly moved or said anything to anyone. They had me go to school for a month and gave me a test in which I scored 98% (my mother still has it lol!) and after that my test scores ranged from
(85-95%). Eventually they discontinued the meds a few years later for ADHD and I just stopped going when I became a young teenager that was more interested in partying with my brother and his friend as I developed from the ugly duckling I was into a swan lol. I always got along better with males as friends after that. Anyways, I was watching this video tonight that I came across in trying to find help for my friend whose daughter is 8 years old. This little girl reminded me of myself and my friend's daughter too. My psychiatrist ended up asking me similar questions too as I recall. I guess it is typical amongst us who have ADHD and struggle to get by as socially normal as possible. Is there anyone here who has/had ADHD or have children who are struggling with it?

Last edited:

Tatilina

Star
I'm sorry about your struggles.

I don't have ADHD but I do have internalized OCD and some anxiety issues that I have to deal with.
Oh I have OCD, social anxiety as well as PTSD from being beat up from a group of drunken women when I was about 25. There was 5 of them and I had my face kicked in and had to have a metal plate put it because my cheekbone was shattered. Thankfully I was knocked out quick and didn't remember much, but boy my face was a mess!

With my OCD, everything has to be clean, clean, clean! Even when we go camping, I am constantly cleaning the camper out.

OCD and anxiety is hard to cope I find. Lots of times I need to listen to nature videos to keep my mind in a calm and relaxed state. It doesn't take much to get me overstimulated lol! Caffeine and sugar are my sworn enemies. With coffee I feel like my heart is going to burst out my chest, so decaf for me. My mind is always racing at night time with a thousand different thoughts all at once while trying to sleep, is a never ending battle too!

TMT

Star
Oh I have OCD, social anxiety as well as PTSD from being beat up from a group of drunken women when I was about 25. There was 5 of them and I had my face kicked in and had to have a metal plate put it because my cheekbone was shattered. Thankfully I was knocked out quick and didn't remember much, but boy my face was a mess!

With my OCD, everything has to be clean, clean, clean! Even when we go camping, I am constantly cleaning the camper out.

OCD and anxiety is hard to cope I find. Lots of times I need to listen to nature videos to keep my mind in a calm and relaxed state. It doesn't take much to get me overstimulated lol! Caffeine and sugar are my sworn enemies. With coffee I feel like my heart is going to burst out my chest, so decaf for me. My mind is always racing at night time with a thousand different thoughts all at once while trying to sleep, is a never ending battle too!
Jesus that's terrible.

My OCD doesn't outwardly manifest and I don't have any tics or anything but I sometimes will obsess over things that have happened during the day and just go over and over something from every possible angle, it can make me appear indecisive at times. Also in crowds or stores I can get a little nervous because I can hear too much from different directions and it just freaks me out.

Tatilina

Star
Jesus that's terrible.

My OCD doesn't outwardly manifest and I don't have any tics or anything but I sometimes will obsess over things that have happened during the day and just go over and over something from every possible angle, it can make me appear indecisive at times. Also in crowds or stores I can get a little nervous because I can hear too much from different directions and it just freaks me out.
Yeah I'm the same way, replaying it over and over thinking how you can do things differently etc. You're a noise sensitive like me. It's like being in one of those closed in recreational rooms where tennis ball players practice, except its like 50 people all crowded in one room while 50 tennis balls are being bounced off the wall and everybody is talking at once. I get superly overwhelmed in settings like that. I stay clear of shopping malls and big stores lol. I get so stressed from loud banging noises such as hammers or slamming of doors. It takes my nerves hours to calm down.

JoChris

Superstar
My parents said I had it when I was young and that my behaviour had improved when I didn't have artificial colours and processed food. The real reason for what made my ADHD similar behaviour different to other children's (and I got bullied as a result) was diagnosed when I had my first proper seizure.

Tatilina

Star
My parents said I had it when I was young and that my behaviour had improved when I didn't have artificial colours and processed food. The real reason for what made my ADHD similar behaviour different to other children's (and I got bullied as a result) was diagnosed when I had my first proper seizure.
Bullying seems to be the one common factor with having ADHD, it doesn't end when you become an adult. I had to quit my job due to being bullied by a power hungry male employee. I'm not sure why it's ADHD is a magnet for bullying or what attracts certain people to target that one person.

Your proper seizure? What do you mean by that? The only thing I can think of is epilepsy. I have hypothyroidism, but I've had almost every blood work and brain scan done. I know you've mentioned it to me in your post before.

JoChris

Superstar
Temporal Lobe epilepsy. Where neurology and psychiatry meet.

In another entry I had asked you to make sure if you get those dizzy, nauseous feelings from nowhere to seek medical help ASAP because that is exactly what I felt before a seizure started.

Growing up I was impulsive and reacted when picked on but I was OK with schoolwork, especially areas that interested me. I didn't have distraction problems at all. I think that part of ADHD must be especially frustrating.

Tatilina

Star
Temporal Lobe epilepsy. Where neurology and psychiatry meet.

In another entry I had asked you to make sure if you get those dizzy, nauseous feelings from nowhere to seek medical help ASAP because that is exactly what I felt before a seizure started.
The dizziness is said to be from vertigo and the nausea is just my gut feeling/intuition when I can sense something is wrong or when something bad is about to happen. I don't get dizzy and nauseous at the same time and it doesn't happen often now that I've learned to keep myself out of bad situations or places I shouldn't be where shady people are at. I wear ear plugs every night to sleep, so the doctor said that's what is most likely causing my vertigo.

I don't get sick either, no flu's, colds, viruses or viral infections. The one thing I do suffer from the most is my internal temperature being too hot from the hypothyroidism.

JoChris

Superstar
It's good that you know how to plan ahead to avoid feeling worse.

Do you live in a noisy area? I once had to live along a bus route street and I got woken up way too early.

My mother has hypothyroidism but she feels the cold very badly instead.

Tatilina

Star
It's good that you know how to plan ahead to avoid feeling worse.

Do you live in a noisy area? I once had to live along a bus route street and I got woken up way too early.

My mother has hypothyroidism but she feels the cold very badly instead.
For the most part its pretty quiet except when there is a game on at the stadium where I live just down the street. I used to live right by a bus stop, but any sound will wake me up and I have a hard enough time getting to sleep nevermind staying asleep. I'm a jumpy person, so if someone gets home late and slams their car door or rowdies wanna hollar and honk their horns for whatever silly reason, I am doomed for the rest of the night.

I would rather be freezing all the time, it feels like an inferno or being stuck in a sauna unable to get any relief no matter what you do. Once my synthroid kicks in, it goes away.

TMT

Star
For the most part its pretty quiet except when there is a game on at the stadium where I live just down the street. I used to live right by a bus stop, but any sound will wake me up and I have a hard enough time getting to sleep nevermind staying asleep. I'm a jumpy person, so if someone gets home late and slams their car door or rowdies wanna hollar and honk their horns for whatever silly reason, I am doomed for the rest of the night.

I would rather be freezing all the time, it feels like an inferno or being stuck in a sauna unable to get any relief no matter what you do. Once my synthroid kicks in, it goes away.
You should move to interior Alaska, it's quiet and cold (but the air is poison in the winter)

JoChris

Superstar
I now live in a dead end street, but instead of traffic I have birds. At least in Winter they don't wake me up when it's dark.
Is the jumpiness part of the ADHD too?

Tatilina

Star
I now live in a dead end street, but instead of traffic I have birds. At least in Winter they don't wake me up when it's dark.
Is the jumpiness part of the ADHD too?
No, the jumpiness comes from the PTSD

Tatilina

Star
You should move to interior Alaska, it's quiet and cold (but the air is poison in the winter)
How is the air poison in the winter? I was going to google it, but then I'd rather hear it coming from you.

JoChris

Superstar
No, the jumpiness comes from the PTSD
Wow that must be bad. Am I right that you're referring to the terrible bashing you had?

Do you get the flashbacks like my neighbour and my husband's ex-workmates (all soldiers, including my husband)?

Tatilina

Star
Wow that must be bad. Am I right that you're referring to the terrible bashing you had?

Do you get the flashbacks like my neighbour and my husband's ex-workmates (all soldiers, including my husband)?
Yeah, that's the main cause and yeah I do get flashbacks. Most of the time, and every night I have nightmares.

JoChris

Superstar
You poor thing. I never get nightmares and hardly any dreams I can remember.
I also just noticed in one of your above comments- no coffee?! :eek: I can't imagine life without it. I am not a morning person at all.
You've got quite a few issues then.
With me it is epilepsy + depression as one of many side-effects of my medicines.
I didn't get the one positive (?) one the neurologist warned me about - weight loss. HUMPH.
I am not bad (just over the line into overweight category) but it would have been good to have the easy way out. :D

TMT

Star
How is the air poison in the winter? I was going to google it, but then I'd rather hear it coming from you.
It's a valley and during the winter all the air pollution gets trapped. Most of the houses are heated by wood stoves or diesel/heating oil as well, plus there is two military bases and a commercial airport