To homeschool or not to homeschool

Dtrizzle2091

Rookie
Hi y’all. I hope everyone is well.
I’m hoping I can get some help on whether or not I should really push to homeschool my children. My husband disagrees and thinks our children need to be exposed to what the world (unfortunately) is in order for them to become strong individuals. I agree with him to a point, but I’m not exactly sure how to articulate how significant our children’s education is when it comes to their future and frankly, their souls. I know there’s no guarantee that they’ll grow up to be Jesus loving, kind hearted self sufficient people regardless of what we do, but I think the odds are a lot better if I provide them with a solid education rooted in truth. What do y’all think?
Also, if anyone has any videos that would help me to either convince my husband to homeschool or convince me to not homeschool, that would be awesome. We’re video people.

thank you all and God bless

Daze

Superstar
Here's a good video for home schooling.

Honestly the only thing they teach you in school is how to be another cog in the system.
If you have religion they will do thier best to remove it from your kids.

Things kids actually need to know, like changing a tire or skinning a fish is not taught in school.

I put my time in the state indoctrination centers and 80% of what i learned is never used.
When we know they rewrote history, and pay for science, i don't see a reason for school at all other then social issues,. But you can always take your kids to the park or enter them in some clubs.

If you can teach your kids how to read and some basic math nothing else is needed.

Daze

Superstar
Depends on your beliefs. I think kids need social interaction and stimulation to learn to grow. Homeschooling can be enriching but also carries it’s drawbacks.

Always weigh your pros and cons
I agree kids need social interaction, but this doens't need to come from a state indoctrination center.

Have you read this story?

Kid turns his own dad into the FBI. This is what the school teaches. Gooberment is your god.

Tidal

Star
I’m hoping I can get some help on whether or not I should really push to homeschool my children..

If I had kids I'd definitely want to homeschool them myself rather than entrust them to complete strangers (teachers) and the national education/indoctrination system for the formative years of their lives.
But having said that, i'd talk it over with the kids themselves to find out if they'd prefer homeschooling..:)

PS- I went through the education system, but my real education came from my pal Johnny's set of Children's Illustrated Encyclopaedias, I used to spend hours in his house reading them, so in a sense I homeschooled myself.

Maes17

Superstar
I agree kids need social interaction, but this doens't need to come from a state indoctrination center.

Have you read this story?

Kid turns his own dad into the FBI. This is what the school teaches. Gooberment is your god.
Sounds unfortunate. I’ll take my chances with my kids though.

Not everything has to be politics. Life is a lot more better putting politics aside.

polymoog

Superstar
my opinion: homeschool them, but allow them time to socialize with kids who go to public school. homeschooling does not necessarily mean they are cut off from society-- you can still bring them around to places for field trips for interactions with society if you wish.
there are very few good teachers left.

alternatively, have you looked into steiner schools? https://www.theschoolrun.com/what-are-steiner-schools

saki

Star
1628212279179.png
1628212338767.png
1628212396050.png
1628212513952.png
...one of the finest young men (18 years) I know, Ian, was homeschooled until his senior year... he has his head on straight, superlative values and priorities, loves The Lord and has served numerous Christian Mission trips to the interior of Mexico...
...if I had a daughter, I would want her to meet him...
...as far as the 'socialization' red herring that always gets thrown around... that was very adequately handled with church youth groups, Bible Camps, etc....
...I would regard Ian as very well adjusted and far better prepared to meet and overcome today's challenges than any public/marxist educated child....
...I think you are on the right path!...

Michi

Established
I homeschool my son. He just turned 6, just started 1st grade, and reads fluently. My neighbors’ son just turned 6, is starting kindergarten in public school a whole year behind because of clown world, and he can’t read yet.

I make my own curriculum. We do 5 hours of school a day.
Our subjects are Handwriting, English, Math, Clock, Bible Study, and we rotate Anatomy, Geography, Astronomy, and History throughout the week. He does a science or art project once a week, swims, and will soon get piano lessons.

We belong to a homeschool co-op that meets once a week in local parks, do projects, and go on field trips.

If you choose to homeschool, please learn your state’s laws.
Homeschool Legal Defense Association has good info.

Maes17

Superstar
I homeschool my son. He just turned 6, just started 1st grade, and reads fluently. My neighbors’ son just turned 6, is starting kindergarten in public school a whole year behind because of clown world, and he can’t read yet.

Our subjects are Handwriting, English, Math, Clock, Bible Study, and we rotate Anatomy, Geography, Astronomy, and History throughout the week. He does a science or art project once a week, swims, and will soon get piano lessons.

We belong to a homeschool co-op that meets once a week in local parks, do projects, and go on field trips.

9B056C2F-057F-42FF-8A4F-BF1E7270723C.gifWell said

Maes17

Superstar
Depends on your beliefs. I think kids need social interaction and stimulation to learn to grow. Homeschooling can be enriching but also carries it’s drawbacks.

Always weigh your pros and cons
Same can be said for public schools. Both types of schooling have their pros/cons. Making friends is important however

I'm all for homeschooling, but if you homeschool you need to absolutely do certain things to help your kids.

1.) Sign them up for social programs. Kids (and humans) absolutely need interaction with peer groups their age.

2.) Try to go through an accredited program, rather than make your own curriculum. I know the ability to "teach kids the right way" is a big draw for them... So try to find a religious school that fits your worldview. Otherwise, you could seriously screw up your kids' future if they want to go to college/university later in life.

3.) If you absolutely insist on making your own curriculum, make sure it's comparable to the education they'd get in public schools. As someone who spent a few years homeschooled and keeping contact with some of the people that I met it youth groups... Some of them are dumb as rocks as adults, even if they were clever kids. Since while their parents were absolutely capable of teaching them grade school level stuff... They weren't capable of teaching them high school level stuff.

justjess

Superstar
I think it just really depends on the kid. Some kids will do better homeschooled, some will do better in a school environment.

public school destroyed my son.. I pulled him out in middle school and homeschooled him for a couple years then moved and tried out the new public school for a month and pulled him out and put him in cyber school but unfortunately the damage from his public school was already done and everything has been a struggle since. This is a kid who was correcting his first grade teacher on Greek mythology and used to choose to read history books for kids as his bedtime story and he has just completely lost any interest in anything school related and convinced himself he’s stupid because of his elementary school experience (he is bipolar and instead of dealing with his actual issues they just kept moving him into lower level classes and other nonsense which convinced him he’s dumb and made him lose interest and self confidence)

I was going to TRY public schools with my daughter because she’s a social butterfly and craves being with other kids, however, I just recently got her a preschool slot after being wait listed for a year and decided to atleast hold off with everything going on in the world atm. I know for a fact she will be difficult to homeschool because she just won’t even sit down with me to read a book - she’s too active. I was hoping seeing the other kids sit down and being in that kind of environment would work better for her. Not making any final decisions yet since she’s so young and will revisit it in a year.

my niece who’s six months older is homeschooled by her mom. She has a completely different personality then my daughter and has been working her way through grade level work books for a year now. She will never go to school because she isn’t vaccinated but I don’t see this being an issue for her due to her personality.

bottom line: it just depends

Maes17

Superstar
I think it just really depends on the kid. Some kids will do better homeschooled, some will do better in a school environment.

public school destroyed my son.. I pulled him out in middle school and homeschooled him for a couple years then moved and tried out the new public school for a month and pulled him out and put him in cyber school but unfortunately the damage from his public school was already done and everything has been a struggle since. This is a kid who was correcting his first grade teacher on Greek mythology and used to choose to read history books for kids as his bedtime story and he has just completely lost any interest in anything school related and convinced himself he’s stupid because of his elementary school experience (he is bipolar and instead of dealing with his actual issues they just kept moving him into lower level classes and other nonsense which convinced him he’s dumb and made him lose interest and self confidence)

I was going to TRY public schools with my daughter because she’s a social butterfly and craves being with other kids, however, I just recently got her a preschool slot after being wait listed for a year and decided to atleast hold off with everything going on in the world atm. I know for a fact she will be difficult to homeschool because she just won’t even sit down with me to read a book - she’s too active. I was hoping seeing the other kids sit down and being in that kind of environment would work better for her. Not making any final decisions yet since she’s so young and will revisit it in a year.

my niece who’s six months older is homeschooled by her mom. She has a completely different personality then my daughter and has been working her way through grade level work books for a year now. She will never go to school because she isn’t vaccinated but I don’t see this being an issue for her due to her personality.

bottom line: it just depends
My oldest son is social. He really missed the classroom setting last year.

I think he’a anxious to go back. Our baby will be turning 1 on august 8th. That kiddo is already looking to be a bratty toddler

Dtrizzle2091

Rookie
my opinion: homeschool them, but allow them time to socialize with kids who go to public school. homeschooling does not necessarily mean they are cut off from society-- you can still bring them around to places for field trips for interactions with society if you wish.
there are very few good teachers left.

alternatively, have you looked into steiner schools? https://www.theschoolrun.com/what-are-steiner-schools
Polymoog you win again. I absolutely keep them involved with other children as much as I possibly can. Church outings, sports, playgrounds almost every day. They are very well socialized. And I think that’s the key.

Dtrizzle2091

Rookie
I'm all for homeschooling, but if you homeschool you need to absolutely do certain things to help your kids.

1.) Sign them up for social programs. Kids (and humans) absolutely need interaction with peer groups their age.

2.) Try to go through an accredited program, rather than make your own curriculum. I know the ability to "teach kids the right way" is a big draw for them... So try to find a religious school that fits your worldview. Otherwise, you could seriously screw up your kids' future if they want to go to college/university later in life.

3.) If you absolutely insist on making your own curriculum, make sure it's comparable to the education they'd get in public schools. As someone who spent a few years homeschooled and keeping contact with some of the people that I met it youth groups... Some of them are dumb as rocks as adults, even if they were clever kids. Since while their parents were absolutely capable of teaching them grade school level stuff... They weren't capable of teaching them high school level stuff.
Awesome advice and lots to think about here. Thank you.

Dtrizzle2091

Rookie
Wow

wow! Super mom!

I homeschooled them last year but, they were preschool age.I really did enjoy it. My 5 year old son is reading and writing at a level far beyond his years. He is multiplying and dividing.He can tell time. Count money. Write a haiku. He makes his own comic books. He’s a super brilliant kid and I fear I’m doing him a great academic disservice by sending him to public schools.

Maes17

Superstar
Wow

wow! Super mom!

I homeschooled them last year but, they were preschool age.I really did enjoy it. My 5 year old son is reading and writing at a level far beyond his years. He is multiplying and dividing.He can tell time. Count money. Write a haiku. He makes his own comic books. He’s a super brilliant kid and I fear I’m doing him a great academic disservice by sending him to public schools.
Sounds like my oldest son. That kiddo is advanced beyond his peers. Proud pops.

If you feel public schools are a disservice to him, that’s your decision, sounds like you have him steered on a great path. Good luck and enjoy

AshCash

Established
I'm going to talk about my personal story. I went to public school from kindergarten to 2nd grade and then I did homeschool because I got the H1N1 shot that RUINED my life and gave me a autoimmune disease that resulted in me getting taken away from school. (Which thank goodness because I would've been bullied for sure about my condition). And let me tell you I did get bullied in 1st grade. You would think omg they're just kids they wouldn't do anything bad! But nope those were the worst years of my life like I have PTSD which is crazy like those memories just don't leave my mind. Basically all I can say is that I was friends with two girls and one manipulative girl that literally bossed everyone around and threatened me on several occasions. Honestly I wish I never experienced that I remember crying to my parents about it, she was the actual devil which sounds weird cause she was just 7 years old I think or something but the world evolved around her and she would use people like slaves. Like she actually made people give her massages and I was forced to do it to her even though I said no. Honestly who knows what happened to her but I feel like her parents maybe were freemasons because she lived in the rich section of town with parents that were super secretive and seemed sus. But personally I wished I was homeschool since little to have avoided all that stress and trauma cause I know it doesn't seem too wild but dang it messes with my head cause I'm like dang Ashley you're weak for letting her do that to you and no wonder everyone hated you in school cause you didn't do what they said. I was like pressured to do stuff and I was just in 1st grade. And that was BEFORE my autoimmune condition which messed me up further but thankfully my mom found a way to make it better for me so I went back to school in 4th grade to 6th grade. And let me tell you, yes I did make friends, but from that I just have one good one out of all of them. The rest kept asking me questions about my condition which made me uncomfortable and I become friends with another manipulative person who literally attacked me and my bestie multiple times. I remember in 6th grade it got worse my friends and I ended up going to the principals office to report what this one chick did to us all. I remember the 5 of us were crying and it made me feel so sad. Then I hear that my best friend got jumped outside the school or something and thrown into a trash can and she was crying. I felt so bad for her because I wasn't there to protect her since I was with my other friends. She left that school too. After that I couldn't handle going to school it was too much for me personally and my condition made me depressed so I just did homeschool from then on to College. I go to College now and everything seems good since everyone's an adult and kinda mature. I'm just talking about my story because I wish I was homeschooled because sadly all my school experiences were awful and like gave me some real trauma. I had actual PTSD from 6th grade I couldn't go to the school physically like it was that bad I couldn't even see the building. Of course now I'm better and try not to let the past get me but I still have days where I just break down you know cause I have so much emotions bundled inside me that I haven't told anyone. That's why I don't really agree with public school but at the end of the day it's the parents and childs choice. I wish I had a better school experience sadly I didn't and will never know what it was like to be a student without my unfortunate condition. Also besides that my 6th grade teachers literally didn't care about us they were always on the phone and didn't teach us well at all. That's why I liked homeschool more I got smarter and did my own work independently. And I still did the things I love like go to Ballet and Hip Hop class so I had tons of friends!

Last edited:

Michi

Established
To the OP:
Yeah, things aren’t always awesome teaching at home.
I’m a week and a half into 1st grade and want to curl up in a ball shut off my mind. Challenging is not the word for it. It is tedious. Behavior problems, etc…it can be exhausting.
Believe me if things were different and my child didn’t have the challenges he has, I would be sending him to traditional school.