The end is nigh..............................again :|

Carolyn

Star
Is there an apocalypse thread already?

I just thought it would be interesting to discuss the history of apocalypses, ends of the world and doomsayers. It seems like something that will always be around, theres probably another impending endtimes scenario every year or every other year but for all these claims, here we still are and isn't there supposed to be one this month?

I just find it such an interesting concept and earth has been here for billions of years and probably will for a few billion more at least and humans have been here a while too, present day humans being the latest (type) and I don't think its going to be that easy to completely wipe us out either, even if there were only a few thousand or even hundred left we could still procreate our way back up again in probably not too much time.

Or maybe we are just in a simulation!

Bent8484

Established
A simulation can have a set ending, so that's not mutually exclusive.

This planet has seen multiple mass extinctions. If you look at larger time scales, things don't look as safe from a geological perspective as they do from a historical perspective. A few thousand years of recorded history is not a good dataset to extrapolate from, or at least, not as likely to be as accurate as one that includes millions of years of geological data. And that picture doesn't look great for us.

The sun will die. So will the Earth. Even the universe will die someday. (Maybe sooner than we think, if we're in a false vacuum state.) So eventually one of the doomsayers will be right. Inevitably.

DNA biomass, the Earth organism that actually matters, will likely survive anything short-term, though. It'll take on new forms and fill every available niche, as it has before. Dunno about humans tho, we're fragile and need tons of calories.

Bent8484

Established
You should look up Stephen Hawking's last few pieces of advice to humanity before he died. We need to stop keeping all our eggs in one vulnerable planetary basket. We can only be wrong about this stuff once, so it's in humanity's best interest to take it seriously.

Lisa

Superstar
There is an end of the world..people have been waiting for it for a long time..that’s true. The earth..according to the Bible..even groans for it.

However, God is not bringing it about because He wants everyone to be saved. One day, however, it will come upon us..like a thief in the night for some..but we who are watching will know the time.

The end time event that means we are 7 years away from the return of Christ is the Jews building a temple in Jerusalem...that’s the event you need to watch for and if you aren’t saved..you need to seriously think about being saved.

Bent8484

Established
There is an end of the world..people have been waiting for it for a long time..that’s true. The earth..according to the Bible..even groans for it.

However, God is not bringing it about because He wants everyone to be saved. One day, however, it will come upon us..like a thief in the night for some..but we who are watching will know the time.

The end time event that means we are 7 years away from the return of Christ is the Jews building a temple in Jerusalem...that’s the event you need to watch for and if you aren’t saved..you need to seriously think about being saved.
That's actually a good point, for the religious angle... I've looked at a lot of writing on eschatological thought through history, and I've yet to see anyone make a convincing case for the prophetic conditions of Revelations having been fulfilled. It doesn't mean the world won't end as described...it means people are often wrong when interpreting the symbolic language of visionary messages.

Lisa

Superstar
That's actually a good point, for the religious angle... I've looked at a lot of writing on eschatological thought through history, and I've yet to see anyone make a convincing case for the prophetic conditions of Revelations having been fulfilled. It doesn't mean the world won't end as described...it means people are often wrong when interpreting the symbolic language of visionary messages.
Revelations hasn’t been totally fulfilled yet. We are in a waiting mode as God is allowing people the time to come to Him..however with Arabs/muslims willing to make peace agreements with Israel..it is closer to seeing a treaty that allows the Jews to build a temple in Jerusalem. Because it will take a treaty for it to be done..as the waqf control the temple mount.

Lil axe

Veteran
i think some just enjoy doom and gloom,
i survied the west nile virus, aviation flu, ebola, y2k, dec 21 2012, whatever dates religious fanatics have tossed out over the years -

Lisa

Superstar
i think some just enjoy doom and gloom,
i survied the west nile virus, aviation flu, ebola, y2k, dec 21 2012, whatever dates religious fanatics have tossed out over the years -
What about the apocalyptic movies being made...people understand this is all going to end.

People giving dates are the least likely to know and generally want to be seen as prophetic if starts on the day they say..it’s pride and egos at work.

Stephania

Star
It is.. it's 7 years away and not now?? LoL. Ok.

Carolyn

Star
A simulation can have a set ending, so that's not mutually exclusive.

This planet has seen multiple mass extinctions. If you look at larger time scales, things don't look as safe from a geological perspective as they do from a historical perspective. A few thousand years of recorded history is not a good dataset to extrapolate from, or at least, not as likely to be as accurate as one that includes millions of years of geological data. And that picture doesn't look great for us.

The sun will die. So will the Earth. Even the universe will die someday. (Maybe sooner than we think, if we're in a false vacuum state.) So eventually one of the doomsayers will be right. Inevitably.

DNA biomass, the Earth organism that actually matters, will likely survive anything short-term, though. It'll take on new forms and fill every available niche, as it has before. Dunno about humans tho, we're fragile and need tons of calories.
I have a reply planned but my brains taking a haitus for an undetermined amount of time right now, sore head, sore eyes, sore everything really but I will be back sometime hopefully soonish. :|

Bent8484

Established
I have a reply planned but my brains taking a haitus for an undetermined amount of time right now, sore head, sore eyes, sore everything really but I will be back sometime hopefully soonish. :|
Get well soon!

Carolyn

Star
Thanks been so fucked the last 6 months since moving into temp accomodation and its just messed up my already messed up body lol good days been a bit few and far between lately. Ill get a bit of brain energy and post something then inevitably my brain decides to switch off for an undetermined peroid of time and its really hard I just want to make it work but it never does lol was all ready for a big discussion on this one and boom!!

Bent8484

Established
Cbd has calmed my mind. I was skeptical. It’s eased any anxiety I’ve had
It's also a great sleep aid. I found, using a sleep tracker, that it consistently increased the duration of the deep sleep portion of the cycle, which is when the body focuses on healing itself.

Maes17

Superstar
It's also a great sleep aid. I found, using a sleep tracker, that it consistently increased the duration of the deep sleep portion of the cycle, which is when the body focuses on healing itself.
I fall into a deep sleep, but have an active mind. So like now with our newborn having my sleep off balance I get sleep paralysis a lot.

Cbd has really helped my mind settle. I haven’t really been stressed other than when I was anticipating birth. But vibe has been pretty good

Thunderian

Superstar
I've yet to see anyone make a convincing case for the prophetic conditions of Revelations having been fulfilled.
The rebirth of Israel as a nation, the gathering of the world’s Jews to their homeland, the present strife regarding the status of Jerusalem and the Temple Mount, and the current peace deals that Israel is making with her enemies are all pretty clear fulfillments or the beginnings of fulfillment of End Times prophecy.

Bent8484

Established
The rebirth of Israel as a nation, the gathering of the world’s Jews to their homeland, the present strife regarding the status of Jerusalem and the Temple Mount, and the current peace deals that Israel is making with her enemies are all pretty clear fulfillments or the beginnings of fulfillment of End Times prophecy.
...or the beginnings, yeah. Signs that we're in the right era at least, but I think the first trumpet has yet to blow.

(And according to the thread about Jews who Jew differently from how Jews should Jew, maybe they haven't returned to Israel yet, or something. Maybe - I really don't know what that thread's about.)

Last edited:

Thunderian

Superstar
...or the beginnings, yeah. Signs that we're in the right era at least, but I think the first trumpet has yet to blow.

(And according to the thread about Jews who Jew differently from how Jews should Jew, maybe they haven't returned to Israel yet, or something. Maybe - I really don't know what that thread's about.)
No trumpets have to blow for any of those things I mentioned to happen, but the idea that the nation of Israel that has been reborn is somehow not the correct one is kind of ridiculous. In fact, it’s very much a part of the hatred and delegitimization that Israel is prophesied to be the object of in the end times.

Bent8484

Established
No trumpets have to blow for any of those things I mentioned to happen, but the idea that the nation of Israel that has been reborn is somehow not the correct one is kind of ridiculous. In fact, it’s very much a part of the hatred and delegitimization that Israel is prophesied to be the object of in the end times.
Oh, don't worry, that's why I avoid that thread. The posters who are commenting from the standpoint of history and anthropology are tolerating what is more clearly dogwhistle anti-semitism in the discussion, just to have someone agree with them, and I find it cringe-inducing. My point is just that the vagueness of prophecy means even fulfilled conditions will likely still be debated intensely, so it's hard to really check those boxes with certainty. I'm sure you've heard the theories about revelations being the fall of Rome, and already fulfilled...I don't put much stock in those, but it shows how easy it is to call it prematurely. I'd say it's probably also likely we'd call the first few subtler signs a bit late, when it really happens.

I mean, we'll be pretty certain when the sea turns red, I guess, so I should say that no incontrovertible signs have yet come to pass.

Lisa

Superstar
I mean, we'll be pretty certain when the sea turns red, I guess, so I should say that no incontrovertible signs have yet come to pass.
The best one is when Israel builds a new temple..start counting from there.