Stephen King

A.J.

Star
Any thoughts? Is he just a bit disturbed or is he part of a much darker scene? I have an older book in mind but just wanting to get some feedback first

He's a writer and i've read two of his books at least. I think he knows. Concerning whether he's good or bad, i don't think i can really say because i can't judge him really though i'd lean towards thinking that he's on the good side given that he's quite a genius and i just really hope so for his own sake.

A.J.

Star
I was thinking about #1 on this list.... The unnecessary gang bang among 11 year olds.... I remember a gang r*pe scene in his book Bag of Bones, but it seemed highly plausible in context.... The part I reference in 'IT' is totally sick, misplaced and uncalled for
(fiction or no)
***Site link deleted by OPer due to graphic violence and vulgarity ****

Last edited:

A.J.

Star
I haven't read him in years.... Was going to read 'It' but found about that unnecessary spoiler.... I read Green Mile....

I believe King is atheist....maybe 'Christians' left a bad impression on him growing up, who knows....

I also have read Misery (awesome), the Shining (like movie better), Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon (ok), Hearts in Atlantis, Bag of Bones (fair)..... But I'm too far along in my Christian walk to read anymore of his stuff....and he seems too godless left for me to roll with anymore....and maybe he's even mildly demonic

I was thinking about #1 on this list.... The unnecessary gang bang among 11 year olds.... I remember a gang r*pe scene in his book Bag of Bones, but it seemed highly plausible in context.... The part I reference in 'IT' is totally sick, misplaced and uncalled for
(fiction or no)
http://www.houstonpress.com/arts/top-5-sickest-stephen-king-sex-scenes-nsfw-6371394
Yuck, like literally, good thing that my browser's blocking on that houston press website, i stopped reading after the 2nd example...

:eek:

I haven't read him in years.... Was going to read 'It' but found about that unnecessary spoiler.... I read Green Mile....

I believe King is atheist....maybe 'Christians' left a bad impression on him growing up, who knows....

I also have read Misery (awesome), the Shining (like movie better), Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon (ok), Hearts in Atlantis, Bag of Bones (fair)..... But I'm too far along in my Christian walk to read anymore of his stuff....and he seems to godless left for me to roll with anymore....and maybe he's even mildly demonic
Just sad, really, what a waste, with a guy of such a wide array of creativeness, i do hope that you are wrong, and that his work's only fictitious and that it doesn't really mean anything except that writing's just an outlet for him to express himself...

:(

A.J.

Star
Yuck, like literally, good thing that my browser's blocking on that houston press website, i stopped reading after the 2nd example...

:eek:
I'm sorry, I didn't read those other examples.... I shouldn't have subjected you to that garbage.... No matter how sick this world becomes, the imaginations of men needn't be stoked or engaged

No harm done brother A.J., so don't you worry!

A.J spells like Hey Jay, right?
Gives rise to lots of speculations
Like Always Judges Might
Try to justify my actions

Or is it A Jay?
Like the bird, ya know?
Makes me wanna say "Hey!
Sometimes i wish i was a crow"

Which reminds me of that movie
But i'll give it some time though
Anyway thanks to thee
Coz to me, you were never ever a foe

;)

Aero

Superstar
I only read "Thinner" and "The Green Mile". I remember enjoying them a lot.

Also really like the miniseries "The Stand" and "The Langoliers". Stephen King obviously suffers from dissociation. So he's weird, but I don't think he's evil

Carolyn

Star
I used to love Stephen King when I was younger, had read a cpl of his books.

I think for anybody to put their creaitivity out there for the world to see is quite brave but its a whole other thing when some of it is violent, negative and dark, kinda makes you wonder where that comes from and what else he may think about that isnt out there. Maybe its better that we dont know. I havent read any of his stuff for many years.

A.J.

Star
I just found out he had a pretty bad drug (and alcohol) problem, when he wrote lots of his more objectionable content.... I understand it's the genre and he's dealing with the mysterious and supernatural in creative, fictional story telling with elements of shock and gore....but if it were me, I'd feel a duty and responsibility to not corrupt minds and hearts with some truly dark and sinister content.... Maybe that's why I'll always be poor.... He could be brilliant without being so over the top depraved as he often has with his content.... I feel the same about Quentin Tarantino

Last edited:

Carolyn

Star
True, I think a lot of his better stuff is the less depraved stuff like Misery and The Shining. Also the Dead Zone was really good too. Maybe people wanted more of the depravity in his books/films and he just gave them what they asked for.

Aero

Superstar
I just found out he had a pretty bad drug (and alcohol) problem, when he wrote lots of his more objectionable content.... I understand it's the genre and hes dealing with the mysterious and supernatural in creative, fictional story telling with elements of shock and gore....but if it were me, I'd feel a duty and responsibility to not corrupt minds and hearts with some truly dark and sinister content.... Maybe that's why I'll always be poor.... He could be brilliant without being so over the top depraved as he often has with his content.... I feel the same about Quinton Tarantino
I think the most over the top violence is so silly it typically wont corrupt anyone. I know there are copycat cases where life imitated art. But I highly doubt anybody watched "Kill Bill", grabbed a sword and cut someones arms off.

If it happens in real life, why not write about the same scenarios? Real life is graphic isn't it?

Carolyn

Star
I think the most over the top violence is so silly it typically wont corrupt anyone. I know there are copycat cases where life imitated art. But I highly doubt anybody watched "Kill Bill", grabbed a sword and cut someones arms off.

If it happens in real life, why not write about the same scenarios? Real life is graphic isn't it?
You never know lol :p Truth can be stranger than fiction... so they say.. whoever THEY are lol

You never know lol :p Truth can be stranger than fiction... so they say.. whoever THEY are lol
I think Kevin McFadden once mentioned that in one of his books.

He goes by the pen-name Christopher Pike. Now that's an enjoyable read! ^_^

Thunderian

Superstar
I think The Stand is one of the best books ever written, and even if he's an atheist, he seems to understand aspects of the Christian walk in ways that surprised me. I'm thinking specifically of Mother Abigail's thoughts and recollections as he describes them.

I stopped reading his stuff after Needfull Things, but recently picked up Duma Key and loved it. He's a great writer, and there's no doubt about that.

A.J.

Star
I might give The Stand another try.... I tried once before....it's loooong
I think The Stand is one of the best books ever written, and even if he's an atheist, he seems to understand aspects of the Christian walk in ways that surprised me. I'm thinking specifically of Mother Abigail's thoughts and recollections as he describes them.

I stopped reading his stuff after Needfull Things, but recently picked up Duma Key and loved it. He's a great writer, and there's no doubt about that.

TMT

Star
He has written some great books, he struggles with endings though always been his biggest flaw. Hasn't been the same writer since his accident lost some of that a rage.

Gerald's Game and Dolores Claiborne are his best.