Spiritual gifts in the Bible.

phipps

Star
We all have a special talents that we’ve found to be useful. For some of us, it might be musical skill or athletic prowess. For others, it might be a good eye for logistics or a knack for understanding other people’s feelings. Our talents come in a thousand different shapes and sizes.

God has endowed us with the talents we have, and He often calls us to use those talents for the good of others, with the Holy Spirit as our guide.

When used in service of others or sharing the gospel, these talents are often referred to as spiritual gifts. Sometimes, as we grow spiritually, the Holy Spirit might even empower us with a new gift, or help us discover gifts we never realized we had all along!

Scripture gives us additional insight on how we should treat these gifts of the Holy Spirit.

phipps

Star
Types of Spiritual Gifts

Just as God created each of us unique, He also gave us different spiritual gifts. When a community has a variety of spiritual gifts to work with, more can be accomplished in God’s name. That’s why each talent is important, no matter how other humans might regard it.

God knows us better than we know ourselves, and He knows exactly which skills would be both a blessing to us and to those around us. 1 Corinthians 12:4-11 gives us a list of some of the spiritual gifts the Holy Spirit grants to people.

- The gift of speaking wisdom

- The gift of speaking knowledge

- The gift of faith

- The gift of healing

- The gift of working miracles

- The gift of prophecy

- The gift of discernment

- The gift of tongues

- The gift of interpretation

The Bible first talks about these gifts in the context of the early church in the New Testament. This was a grassroots movement to spread the gospel of Jesus’ life, death and resurrection, and to grow the family of believers on earth.

Peter and John were blessed with the ability to heal (Acts 3:1-10), Dorcas had the gift of charity and giving to others (Acts 9:36-43), and Barnabas was always ready to offer encouragement (Acts 4:36-37).

Today, we might have a strong knowledge of medicine, resources we can share, or simply a kind word to offer when others need it. All these things are examples of spiritual gifts God has granted us.

Some people have a gift for offering wisdom and knowledge, whether it be through public speaking, writing, or mass media to reach people across the world. Those gifted with great faith can share it with others, helping them through a spiritual struggle. Others have a talent for healing, either physically or emotionally. One person might be skilled at working with teenagers while another is good at leading projects and delegating tasks.

All these things are God-given gifts which are best used for the good of others, not just ourselves. The best way to honour God with the talents we have is to use them the way He asked us to.

phipps

Star
Identifying Spiritual Gifts

While there are many different spiritual gifts, the Bible tells us that each of these separate gifts have equal value in God’s eyes (Romans 12:3-8).

But how do we know what gift God has given us? And how can we know how He wants us to use it?

The Holy Spirit is the one who empowers us with gifts, and He is ready to guide us in their proper use, if we ask. A heartfelt prayer for God’s guidance is always the first step.

This point is illustrated in the story of Solomon, one of the famous kings of Israel. Solomon came to the throne when he was still young. One night, in a dream, God came to Solomon and asked what kind of blessing Solomon wanted from Him.

Solomon, rather than asking for great wealth or victory in battle, asked for understanding and the ability to discern between good and evil. God granted Solomon’s request, blessing him with honour and wealth as well, and Solomon went on to become one of the wisest kings ever known (1 Kings 3:5-14).

After asking God for guidance with our spiritual gifts, it’s a good idea to spend some time in reflection. What about your personality and behaviour patterns might reveal some hidden or overlooked strengths?

As we pray daily, God may bring us into situations that help us discover the ways we’re gifted.

We can also turn to trusted sources to help us on our journey as well. One idea is to ask the advice of those who are close to God, who we trust, and who know us well. They might be able to point out things we excel at that we might have missed on our own.

But overall, we must keep our eyes open and be ready to hear God’s voice. If someone needs help, we should be ready to lend a hand. The simple act of stepping in and helping someone can reveal the skills God gave us.

phipps

Star
Every Christian has been given at least one spiritual gift.

The Bible says, “As each one has received a gift, minister it to one another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God” (1 Peter 4:10). If you have given your life to Jesus, you are promised special abilities to help spread the gospel. Finding and using your talents is a responsibility outlined in Jesus’ parable of the talents in Matthew 25:14-30.

phipps

Star
We do not choose our gifts.

While we certainly should desire and pray for expanded abilities, the Holy Spirit gives us our gifts. We cannot simply purchase them online. Notice, “For to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit, to another the word of knowledge through the same Spirit” (1 Corinthians 12:8). The Holy Spirit distributes gifts.

phipps

Star
The Use of Spiritual Gifts.

It’s clear from Scripture and Christ’s example that our spiritual gifts are are most effective in the service of God and others.

So how do we make the most of our spiritual gifts? How can we be sure we’re using them the right way?

The book of Ephesians answers this question when it describes Jesus first giving spiritual gifts to the believers:

“And He Himself gave some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, and some pastors and teachers, for the equipping of the saints for the work of ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ (Ephesians 4:11-12).

Paul’s letter to the Romans gives us similar instructions:

“For as we have many members in one body, but all the members do not have the same function, so we, being many, are one body in Christ, and individually members of one another. Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, let us use them: if prophecy, let us prophesy in proportion to our faith; or ministry, let us use it in our ministering; he who teaches, in teaching; he who exhorts, in exhortation; he who gives, with liberality; he who leads, with diligence; he who shows mercy, with cheerfulness” (Romans 12:4-8).

We are called to use our spiritual gifts to the best of our ability to strengthen the church and further Christ’s mission.

There are innumerable ways to spread the good news about who God is and how much He loves us—whether by teaching others and evangelizing, or by showing them through acts of service and healing.

Whatever method we use, the key is to remember who we’re working for, and that we aren’t put on this earth to serve ourselves, but to serve others

phipps

Star
It dishonours God when we deny our gifts.

When comparing the church to a human body, Paul explains, “If the foot should say, ‘Because I am not a hand, I am not of the body,’ is it therefore not of the body?” (1 Corinthians 12:15). The answer is, of course it’s still part of the body! It’s one thing to be humble about your gifts; it’s another to reject your gifts from God.

phipps

Star
It dishonours God when we exalt our gifts.

Paul also warns, “The eye cannot say to the hand, ‘I have no need of you’” (1 Corinthians 12:21). He explains, “No, much rather, those members of the body which seem to be weaker are necessary” (1 Corinthians 12:22). The fact a body is made up of many different parts is what makes it a body. So if you feel you cannot stand up and preach a sermon, you are still gifted and God has a special place for you somewhere.

phipps

Star
Gifts are useless if they are not used in love.

One of the most sobering statements made about spiritual gifts is found in 1 Corinthians 13, the love chapter. While we hear these verses often spoken at weddings, they really focus on people’s gifts.

Love supersedes all, and love is never selfish. The gifts of God are therefore also not granted for selfish purposes, but are granted to benefit others. Of course, benefiting others is a doubled-edged sword, because if we seek to benefit others, we will be filled ourselves also. This principle of love will lead to humility:

"Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, but have not love, it profits me nothing. Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil" (1 Corinthians 13:1-5).

phipps

Star
Can a person lose their spiritual gift?

Our spiritual gifts can be a key component in our growth in Christ, and it only makes sense that we’re supposed to use them responsibly. But what if we don’t? What happens when we put our spiritual gifts toward selfish ambition, or choose not to use them at all?

In Matthew 25, Jesus told a parable about a master who had three servants. The master was going on a journey and wanted to make sure his money would be in good hands.

To the first servant, he entrusted five “talents,” or units of money. To the second servant he gave two talents. To the third, he gave one. Then he went away.

While he was gone, the first two servants immediately set to work, putting their master’s property to use. The servant with five talents made five more. The servant with two talents made two more. But the servant who had been given one talent went out, dug a hole, and buried his master’s money.

When the master returned, he called his servants to him to find out what they’d done with his property while he was gone.

The first two servants came and presented themselves before him, showing their master how they had made good use of what he had given them, and the master praised them as “good and faithful servants.”

Then the third servant explained that he knew the master stern and he didn’t want to disappoint anyone or mess things up. So, since he didn’t want to lose the property, he buried the one talent so nothing would happen to it.

The master was angry and rebuked the servant for being wicked and lazy. Then he took the servant’s talent away and gave it to the one whom he had entrusted with five talents.

Just like the servants in the story, we’ve all been entrusted with God-given talents and skills. It’s up to us to make good use out of them, and God will help us along the way.

But if we sit on them, refusing to discover how God might use us, we might as well not have the gift at all.

phipps

Star
We see a similar situation in the book of Numbers, dealing with a man named Balaam (Numbers 22-24). Balaam had the ability to pronounce blessings and curses on people. The king of Moab came to him and asked that Balaam pronounce a curse upon the children of Israel so that he could defeat them in battle.

God specifically told Balaam that he was not to do this, for God had blessed the children of Israel. Balaam ignored God’s warnings and went all the same, but when he got to the place where the Israelites were camped, God caused him to speak only blessings. Balaam’s spiritual gift was no longer under his control.

The story of the talents and the story of Balaam illustrate a very clear point. Our spiritual gifts come from God. If we take our talents, our spiritual gifts, and use them wisely, we are being good stewards of the gifts God gave us.

But if we misuse our talents, by spending them selfishly or hiding them away, then we’re being just as lazy as the wicked servant. If that’s the case, God may take our spiritual gifts and give them to someone who will use them.

But it’s our choice. If we choose to use our spiritual gifts the way God calls us to, we can end up being an incredible blessing.

Scripture makes it clear time and again that God is the ultimate gift-giver (Luke 11:13). He knows us better than we know ourselves, and He wants us to be a blessing to the world.

The thought of possessing God-given abilities may seem intimidating, as if we’re afraid we might use our gifts the wrong way.

Fortunately, however, God is the guide for our spiritual gifts. Since it is the Holy Spirit that empowers us with these abilities, we don’t have to worry about our own insecurities or limitations. God can use a willing person for amazing things, simply because they have faith in Him.

“As each one has received a gift, minister it to one another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God” (1 Peter 4:10).

Last edited:

phipps

Star
The Fruit of the Holy Spirit.

It is by the working of the Holy Spirit that Christ is enthroned in the life of the believer. It is the Holy Spirit that makes a person a Christian, and it is He that cleanses the mind and regenerates the believer. "I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you; I will take the heart of stone out of your flesh and give you a heart of flesh. I will put My Spirit within you and cause you to walk in My statutes, and you will keep My judgments and do them" (Ezekiel 36:26-27).

As the Holy Spirit is welcomed and begins His work, the fruit will begin to manifest itself in the life, producing that which is in essence the very character of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

What is the fruit of the Holy Spirit? In Paul’s letter to the Galatian Christians, Galatians 5:22-23, Paul states: “But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.” The word “fruit” is singular. There is but one fruit of the Holy Spirit, and that one fruit includes all of the Christians graces.

The fruit of the Spirit is the true essence of the Christian life. While the apostle Paul lists nine different aspects of this fruit, it is nevertheless one fruit and has to be seen in its entirety. The fruit of the Spirit does not tell us what a person might be able to do for God through spiritual gifts and talents. Rather, it shows how the person lives for God. It tells who the person is.

All the virtues that are listed in Galatians 5:22-23 are present in Jesus Christ. Hence, the fruit of the Spirit is the life of Jesus Christ in us, made possible through the power of the Holy Spirit. The fruit of the Spirit is not something we achieve by purely human effort. It is possible to produce and display some of the same virtues through the exercise of our willpower. But that is not the same as what the Holy Spirit does in us. What we produce ourselves is like a wax fruit compared to the real. Wax fruits are artificial. From a distance they look just as beautiful, but the taste is immeasurably inferior to the real. Real fruit is not manufactured. It grows out of a relationship. When the Holy Spirit connects us with Jesus, through His Written Word, His characteristics begin to reveal themselves in our own lives.

The first component of the fruit of the Spirit is love (the only one I'm posting on).

Love appropriately leads and crowns the various characteristics of the fruit of the Spirit and permeates the whole fruit. In a sense all other qualities listed can be seen as aspects of love. Because God is love (1 John 4:8), the greatest Christian virtue is love (1 Corinthians 13:13). God’s love is the foundation and source of every other goodness. God’s love is poured out to us within our hearts through the Holy Spirit (Romans 5:5).

Love is the evidence that we are God’s children. This love is far more than mere human affection. It cannot be produced by human effort. It comes as a result of abiding in Christ. Such love is generous and unmerited. It alone has the power to transform. In its tender yet strong nature, divine love leads the sinner to repentance and awakens the desire for something better. Love has the power to unite—even those who formerly were enemies (Luke 6:27-28; Romans 5:8). Thus, by our love for each other the world will know that Christians are indeed followers of Jesus Christ (John 13:35). This fruit of love will also lead Christians to manifest understanding and sensitivity toward others.

It is interesting that the master description of love in 1 Corinthians 13 comes right between chapters 12 and 14. Those two chapters deal with the gifts of the Spirit. Chapter 13, however, deals with love: the fruit of the Spirit. Even the superior gifts are nothing without love. The gifts of the Spirit without the fruit of the Spirit are powerless and do not produce the blessing that God intends. Love, however, is the glue that
binds all other virtues of the fruit of the Spirit into a united whole and gives authenticity to everything we do.

The fruit of the Spirit is what is given to a person who abides in the Vine and will be the deciding factor for those who will finally be saved. Jesus gave perspective to the subject and wrapped it all up when He declared in John 15:1-6, “I am the true vine, and My Father is the vinedresser. Every branch in Me that does not bear fruit He takes away; and every branch that bears fruit He prunes, that it may bear more fruit. You are already clean because of the word which I have spoken to you. Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me. I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing. If anyone does not abide in Me, he is cast out as a branch and is withered; and they gather them and throw them into the fire, and they are burned."

A person can't have just one fruit of the Spirit. Perhaps we could think of the various components of the fruit of the Spirit as petals on a flower. Although the blooming of the flower is a process, the fact is that the petals unfold together.

We may not come to maturity in the fruit of the Spirit all at once, but the components must develop in tandem with each other. It is unlikely that a kind person will be impatient or proud.

When we see what God's plan is for our lives, we may at first be thrilled and challenged but later feel overwhelmed. Not to worry. The promise is that He Who has begun this good work (fruit-bearing) in us will finish it (Philippians 1:6).

phipps

Star
The fruit and gifts of the Spirit.

The fruit of the Spirit and the gifts of the Spirit have the same Author, the Holy Spirit. Yet, they are not the same.

While all aspects of the fruit of the Spirit are designed by God to be visible in the lives of His followers, not every believer has the same gift or gifts. There is no command that all should have one particular gift, such as speaking in tongues. Instead, God sovereignly equips His believers with different gifts as He sees fit. The gifts of the Spirit are given so that we can serve others and build up the body of Christ, His church. These gifts are not given for our own pleasure and glory. They are bestowed to further the cause of God.

Spiritual gifts are worthless without the fruit of the Spirit. It is interesting that within the context of the spiritual gifts, love is often alluded to. Immediately after 1 Corinthians 12 comes the supreme description of love, in chapter 13. Ephesians 4:11-13 is followed in verses 15 and 16 with reference to love. The next verses after Romans 12:3-8, where the gifts of the Spirit are mentioned, speak about love (Romans 12:9-10).

The gifts are, after all, gifts of grace; that is, they are gifts of love. They are given out of love and serve the love of God in reaching other people. By loving others, we are revealing the love of God to them. A loving and omniscient God provides the means to accomplish what He has commissioned His people to do. Perhaps that is why love is the greatest gift of all (1 Corinthians 13:13).

All men do not receive the same gifts, but to every servant of the Master some gift of the Spirit is promised.. . . The gifts are already ours in Christ, but their actual possession depends upon our reception of the Spirit of God.

phipps

Star
The Charismatic Movement and Spiritual Gifts.

The Roots of Pentecostalism.

The modern Pentecostal movement grew out of the Holiness movement of the late nineteenth century. A pinnacle of this movement was the Kentucky revival in 1801, a camp meeting characterized by falling, jerking, rolling, running, whining, whooping, laughter, and barking exercises.

It is interesting to note that the same manifestations are also experienced in the pagan religious rituals and ancestral worship. In pagan African rituals, the beating of the drums induce a type of hypnotic trance enabling a “god” to take control of a person, and this event is accompanied by the uttering of ecstatic languages. In some rituals, hallucinogens are taken to assist individuals to reach the state of altered consciousness required to induce the manifestations.

The power of God is a theme that is also central to the charismatic revival. In their writings and reports charismatics often refer to themselves as “People of Power.”

The Bible warns us about false manifestations of the Spirit at the end of time. In that case, our only safe course is to study the Scriptures to discern between the true gifts of the Spirit and the false.

The Gifts.

The gifts of the Spirit, especially the gift of speaking in tongues, play an important part in charismatic worship. In fact, this gift of tongues is often regarded as a special manifestation of the working of the Holy Spirit in one’s life and is earnestly sought. Speaking in tongues can be accompanied by other manifestations, such as being “slain in the Spirit,” and healing experiences.

Thousands of believers and unbelievers are attracted to healing ceremonies and can experience this power even if they have had no prior religious experience. Lives are often changed by these experiences, and alcoholics and drug addicts can walk away as transformed people. This leads to more and more conversions and accounts for the rapid growth of the movement.

However, we have seen the Biblical criteria for spiritual gifts.

Last edited:

phipps

Star
1 Corinthians 14: Dealing with Tongues.

By the end of 1 Corinthians 13, Paul has addressed the general wrongs within the Corinthian Church, the nature and granting of spiritual gifts, and the need for selfless love in all Christian endeavors.

In chapter 14, Paul addresses the misuse of the gift of tongues among the Corinthians. We do not have all the details of the questions that Paul is answering from the letter the Corinthians wrote to him. Neither do we know in full detail the assumptions and ideas on which they based their thinking. We therefore have to deduce from the style and dialogue itself whether Paul agrees or disagrees with the sentiments expressed.

Paul used parallelism to emphasize his arguments: a statement is followed by a contradicting statement. He uses “but” or a similar conjunction to signal that he does not agree with the previous statement.

"How is it then, brethren? when ye come together, every one of you hath a psalm, hath a doctrine, hath a tongue, hath a revelation, hath an interpretation. Let all things be done unto edifying. If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret. But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God."

This chapter is a recipe for proper church order. Church activities should edify people. For example, in a multilingual meeting speaking in tongues (different languages) is permissible if conducted in an orderly fashion with proper translation.

Incomprehensible utterances are contrary to the Spirit of God, because God would not exclude some people by giving others a “gift” that is not for the benefit of the Body. It is contrary to His nature of unselfish love. Speaking in tongues may be a worldwide phenomenon, but that fact does not mean that it is in harmony with Scripture.

"That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive" (Ephesians 4:14).

"For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints" (1 Corinthians 14:33).

Last edited:

phipps

Star
In 1 Corinthians 14 Paul is writing to the Corinthians about the misuse of the gift of tongues. The way he writes is first he says something to emphasize his point then its followed by a contradictory statement. He writes how it should be, then how it shouldn't be. I'll show you.

Verse 1 is how it should be, "Pursue love, and desire spiritual gifts, but especially that you may prophesy." Prophesy in this context means preaching or proclaiming the gospel and no one can do that without love.

Verse 2 is how it should not be, "For he who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God, for no one understands him; however, in the spirit he speaks mysteries." Paul does not agree with this statement. If one speaks in a different language only God can understand them and no one else. The purpose of speaking in a different language is to preach the gospel not for only God to understand.

Verse 3 is how it should be, "But he who prophesies speaks edification and exhortation and comfort to men."

Verse 4a
, how it should not be, "He who speaks in a tongue edifies himself,"

Verse 4b
, how i should be, "but he who prophesies edifies the church."

Verse 5a, how it should not be,
"I wish you all spoke with tongues,"

Verse 5b, how it should be, "but even more that you prophesied; for he who prophesies is greater than he who speaks with tongues, unless indeed he interprets, that the church may receive edification."
No gift is greater than the other but the one who prophesies is greater than someone who speaks in tongues without an interpreter to make him understood.

Its clear once understood how in these first five verses that Paul is saying speaking in a tongue/language that no one can understand is pointless. If one speaks a tongue/language that no one understands then he should be able to interpret so people can understand because its all for the edification the church.

The rest of 1 Corinthians 14 continues like that with Paul telling us how it should and shouldn't be. I'll show you from some of the next verses the truth Paul is teaching.

Verse 6a, how it should not be, "But now, brethren, if I come to you speaking with tongues, what shall I profit you" Speaking in tongues is of no benefit if no one understands.

Verses 6b, how it should be, "unless I speak to you either by revelation, by knowledge, by prophesying, or by teaching?"

Verse 12-13, how it should be, "Even so you, since you are zealous for spiritual gifts, let it be for the edification of the church that you seek to excel. Therefore let him who speaks in a tongue pray that he may interpret."

Verse 20, how it should not be, "Brethren, do not be children in understanding; however, in malice be babes, but in understanding be mature."

Verses 21-22, how it should be, "In the law it is written: “With men of other tongues and other lips I will speak to this people; And yet, for all that, they will not hear Me,” says the Lord. Therefore tongues are for a sign, not to those who believe but to unbelievers; but prophesying is not for unbelievers but for those who believe."
Here is Paul is saying that the ability to speak in other languages is so the gospel could be preached to unbelievers but prophecy is for those who believe.

Once we understand how Paul wrote 1 Corinthians 14 we will never think that he is saying babbling unintelligible things is heavenly language. Verse 14 says, "For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my understanding is unfruitful" is a verse that is used by Christians who come from churches that babble. They say that when Paul says to pray in the Spirit, he used a “heavenly tongue” and did not himself know what he was praying. What Paul is really saying is if we pray aloud, we should either pray so that others around us can understand or else keep quiet. Notice what he says in the following verses of 15-16, "What is the conclusion then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will also pray with the understanding. I will sing with the spirit, and I will also sing with the understanding. Otherwise, if you bless with the spirit, how will he who occupies the place of the uninformed say “Amen” at your giving of thanks, since he does not understand what you say?" If someone prays publicly and prays in a different tongue/language they don't understand without an interpreter, it is difficult for them to say amen. Would they even know the prayer has ended? Would they know what was said and if they they agree with it?

1 Corinthians 14, is telling us that the purpose of speaking in tongues is to preach the gospel and edify the church. If the listeners do not understand the language being spoken, they cannot be edified. And if there is no interpreter, the speaker is simply “speaking into the air” and the only ones present who know what is being said are God and the speaker and that is not the point of speaking in tongues/languages.