Palestinian Resistance Launch Major Attack on Israel: What Happened? – LIVE BLOG

Karlysymon

Superstar

Karlysymon

Superstar
They’ve just been awarded billions in aid by Biden and despite warnings, Israel is pressing on with the Rafah invasion.

So what happens now? Honestly losing any glimmer of hope that this will conclude soon. No one cares, no one can do anything to stop Satanyahu and the money tree keeps shaking for these evil Zionists.
We might be in for the long haul. See Stucky's post
MEE

"Israel's state budget for 2024 includes details of a ground operation in Rafah with a timeline of six months specified for its completion, according to policy consultant Itay Epshtain.

The fiscal budget shows that 2024 military spending which had been earmarked at $21 billion was adjusted to $36 billion, a 72 percent increase.

That makes up a military spend of 6.7 percent, Epshtain said, which is significantly above the defence spend of Nato countries."

Karlysymon

Superstar
“Things are very tense right now in Jordan,” said Sean Yom, a political science professor at Temple University. “The Jordanian government is obviously trying to do the best job that it can in just getting out of this, but it's not easy.”

But it’s not clear that these internal tensions can stay on ice as Gaza burns. In Jordan, decades of lavish U.S. aid has done little to mollify the anger that average citizens - many of whom are Palestinians - feel over Israel’s actions.

For months, Jordanians have held daily protests outside of the Israeli embassy in Amman. The government, anxious to avoid a diplomatic crisis with Israel, has cracked down on the rallies with large-scale arrests and even a few clashes with protesters.
Jordan’s role in downing Iranian drones over the weekend has further inflamed sentiments both inside the country and across the region, according to Nader Hashemi, an expert on Middle East politics and a professor at Georgetown University.

“The United States has to realize that its almost unconditional support for Israel in Gaza is producing these types of destabilizing effects,” Hashemi said. “It's going to increase the instability in Jordan.”

Karlysymon

Superstar
Some interesting tidbits i found in this transcript

ABRAMS: There is a real problem here. You see the people in the PA talking about bringing Hamas in—bringing Hamas into the PLO. That’s a nonstarter, I think, for Israel and probably for the United States. To say to the Israelis, you know, in the aftermath of October 7 you’ve got to negotiate with these people that are now part of the PA/PLO that’s not going to happen.

I can think, by the way, of one other thing. I mean, theoretically Hamas people could leave Gaza—

ZACHARIA: Yes.

ABRAMS: —and people point to the model of the way Arafat left Lebanon. I think that’s realistically not going to happen, and I think that the military goal of the Israelis really is to—in a way, to make sure that Israelis can move back to the border area without any military threat from Hamas and I think that is achievable.

ZACHARIA: OK. You know, Amr, you’re there in Egypt and I feel like amid all of this there’s been very little discussion of Egypt and the fact that Rafah is—they’re not letting people leave through there.

Now, I know they don’t want a crisis like Jordan has with, I think, more Syrian babies being born in Jordan, I understand, than Jordanians, perhaps, right now. Given that someone told me I have to verify this.

But I know they don’t want millions of Palestinians in the Sinai desert there but talk about Egypt’s thinking here. Why are they—you know, why don’t they open, let more people out? Is there more that Egypt can be doing? What does Sisi think here?

ZACHARIA: Go ahead, Elliott.

ABRAMS: I think the answer is yes. It’s very clear that in the aftermath, October 7-October 8, the IDF and the minister of defense wanted to go north, not into Gaza. And Netanyahu and Gantz said no. But most of the people that I talked to in Israel believed that they would have to—that they couldn’t live with Hezbollah in its current state with the threat that it poses. And that, therefore, over the next year or two or some indeterminate period, there would, in fact, be a Hezbollah-Israel war. Sooner, if Hezbollah wants it sooner, if Iran wants it sooner. But if not, the feeling was Israel would have to turn to this.

GAUSE: I think that one of the lessons I take out of this is the University of Chicago has it right. Universities should not be taking institutional positions on political issues, no matter how hot or no matter how overwhelming the right answer might be, right, not that this is one of those cases, but we got into this on cases where people thought there was an overwhelmingly right answer and universities started taking positions. I think the University of Chicago has it right.

I also think that what we’re seeing right now, when you get down to it, is a pretty bald-faced effort by donors to try to control the operations at universities. And that to me, as a long-time professor, is troubling.

Haich

Superstar

Excerpt:

Top Israeli and Egyptian officials held a secret meeting in Cairo on 24 April, aimed at discussing Tel Aviv’s plans for an invasion of Gaza’s southernmost city of Rafah.

Three senior Israeli officials told Axios on Wednesday that Shin Bet chief Ronen Bar and Israeli army chief Herzi Halevi met with the head of Egyptian intelligence, Abbas Kamel, and Egypt’s army chief Osama Askar.

The report came the same day that an Israeli defense official said that Israel will launch the operation in Rafah as soon as it gets government approval. Israel is “moving ahead” with the operation, a spokesman for Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said, but gave no specific time frame.

Israel is developing a plan to evacuate civilians from the desperately overcrowded city. Egypt has expressed concern over the possibility of an influx of Palestinian refugees entering its territory once Rafah is attacked and has vowed not to allow any mass displacement of Gazans into its Sinai desert.

Washington has repeatedly called on Israel to ensure the safe evacuation of civilians from Rafah, where military operations pose the threat of a severe humanitarian catastrophe.

“Everyone is waiting for Netanyahu's directive to start evacuating the civilian population from Rafah. It's parked at his desk. He needs to resolve the matter with both the Americans and the Egyptians,” one of the Israeli officials told Axios.

Awoken2

Superstar