on technology

morita

Veteran
what are your thoughts on technology (for or against)? Especially regarding how it impacts our everyday interactions.
Personally, I'm still young and I grew up with technology for the most part so I have a hard time having distance with it. I know there are probably older ppl who would be more apt in analysing how much it has impacted our relationships with others (and ourselves).
I know people my age who are always their face in their screen, don't even bother to make eye contact when you speak to them. It's hard to empty your mind when you want to medidate bc there are so many distractions available. It makes it harder to be in the moment.

Attachments

Aero

Superstar
Technology is a double-edged sword. It keeps people out of trouble and gets people into trouble. Plus there's no standard to how the sword swings. Take social media for example. Two different people can make the same post, and in one case the poster will be celebrated. In the other case that same post can be hated.

In other words, I'm just lamenting all the double standards out there. Mainly due to the fact that I get the short end of the stick in this arrangement. In real life, my behavior is pretty solid and I'm generally understood, but it's like I can do nothing right on social media.

Dalit

Star
Love/hate relationship. :)

Gotta love the convenience yet it can make people lazy. Remember when you had to study maps for directions and plan a trip out ahead of time? GPS, particularly Google maps, once led me to a dead end. It's wise to plan ahead.

Also, maybe it's just me, but I think it could also lead to being a bit scattered, almost ADD. My attention span got shorter. I tend to skim more than actually read. People act more connected via social media but it's all so fake. People are less connected; connections are superficial a lot of the time. People literally walk into things and even cars bc their faces are in their phones. Distracted pedestrians, distracted drivers.

So I can see both sides of the issue. Or I'm just old enough to remember maps and books. ;-)

Robin

Veteran
Love/hate relationship. :)

Gotta love the convenience yet it can make people lazy. Remember when you had to study maps for directions and plan a trip out ahead of time? GPS, particularly Google maps, once led me to a dead end. It's wise to plan ahead.

Also, maybe it's just me, but I think it could also lead to being a bit scattered, almost ADD. My attention span got shorter. I tend to skim more than actually read. People act more connected via social media but it's all so fake. People are less connected; connections are superficial a lot of the time. People literally walk into things and even cars bc their faces are in their phones. Distracted pedestrians, distracted drivers.

So I can see both sides of the issue. Or I'm just old enough to remember maps and books. ;-)
I second this especially the part about people becoming less connected. I also hate the lack of privacy, some people are so entranced by technology that they're willing to overlook it. I'm probably the only person in my area under 50 who still visits a library for the books and not the wifi lol.

polymoog

Superstar
thanks...
handling a lot of those antiques, one can sense the better quality. the metal is thicker and overall far more durable. some stuff was done on an assembly line due to henry fords innovation, but quite a bit was hand assembled.
the big change happened with the big corporations began hiring wall-street minded people in the executive positions rather than promote workers who had worked their way up the ladder. the latter took pride in a quality product, while the former was only interested in profit.

i think about this drawing by r. crumb a lot. i prefer to live in 3 or 4.
http://www.opoderosoresumao.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/r-crumb_a-short-history-of-america__snoid-comics-1980.jpeg
i wonder if hes updated it since he drew it, complete with wifi towers and cameras on the corners.

polymoog

Superstar
I love the countryside and hate cities, so i'll also go with image 3 or 4.
its a tough life... youll be milking the cows, tending the chickens... but your 8 kids will help you out.
your man will be splitting firewood, building barns...

for me, i would happily take all of the difficulties associated with that life rather than have to live in 2019. fresh air, fresh water, good eatin`, and clean living is more imporant to me than fast download speeds, HDTV, and the latest iphone.

Lurker

Star
thanks...
handling a lot of those antiques, one can sense the better quality. the metal is thicker and overall far more durable. some stuff was done on an assembly line due to henry fords innovation, but quite a bit was hand assembled.
the big change happened with the big corporations began hiring wall-street minded people in the executive positions rather than promote workers who had worked their way up the ladder. the latter took pride in a quality product, while the former was only interested in profit.

i think about this drawing by r. crumb a lot. i prefer to live in 3 or 4.
http://www.opoderosoresumao.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/r-crumb_a-short-history-of-america__snoid-comics-1980.jpeg
i wonder if hes updated it since he drew it, complete with wifi towers and cameras on the corners.
I think I would choose #5 (maybe 6). I would want just a few more people around for community support and trade. Not to mention the gene pool.

polymoog

Superstar
Ducks. You gotta have ducks. And geese..they'll let you know if something is going on outside.
geese are great guards, but the honking is constant. if theyre far enough away from the house, its not too bad. theyre nasty, too.
the ducks (at least the muscovies) lay eggs less frequently than chickens, but i like the yolks better.

Technology is a tool.

Like any tool, it can be used for good or evil. No form of technology is inheritly bad in and of itself. The threat lies in how the powers that be seek to use it.