Narcissism and Narcissistic Behaviors

Narcissistic is a fancy word for selfish or self-centered these days. I’m sure there’s some out there who are actual, pathological narcs - but since so many have some level of selfishness now the amount of videos about it are insane.

I think our digital world creates bad behavior. Only extremes are recognized online, therefore only extreme behavior is rewarded - whether good or bad. And since wowing people for good skill or behavior is harder, most gravitate to the bad…

And so then you’re left with kids who grew up with these horrible online examples of behavior and images from Tik-Tok dancing in their heads, and now they have horrible frames of reference for what encompasses decent behavior.

Behaving like a decent human is always going to be harder too….not hard…but harder. Not cutting the line, being patient, saying please, thank you - all requires some level of self discipline. If you never learned to cultivate that, then you’re likely to become selfish and callous. Hence an explosion of self-absorbed, essentially sick, individuals.

And what happens when these selfish people get reprimanded or embarrassed for acting the fool? Well they simply go back online to their forum of choice where they find validation from other selfish people for behaving selfishly.

It’s self-perpetuating. The internet will always feed your every need. Because there is so much choice you’re never challenged emotionally. You never grow.

And so this man-made world called the internet births more dysfunction than anyone can even keep up with.

theartbook35

Veteran
NPD is a fascinating subject. Especially intriguing to me is the low incidence of this personality disorder in the general public according to studies compared to internet comment sections' tales of woe.

Nearly every young person on the internet is being raised by at least one narcissist. According to Reddit, anyway.
Oh my god, yes, everyone according to reddit commenters is a narcissist. It's like people don't understand that there's narcissistic behavior, and then there's the actual disorder.

Flarepath

Star
Here in Britain ask any man or woman in the street what the word "narcissist" means and they'll usually say "don't know".
Even I had to look it up in the dictionary-

narcissist.jpg

In Britain, such a person is usually described as 'self-centred'.
However, the word "cissy" (which probably comes from 'narcissist)' IS commonly used by Brits to describe a man who's slightly effeminate, wimpy and possibly gay..:)

Last edited:

Flarepath

Star
From the web, here's another condition similar to narcissism that shrinks can explain..:)

'The Right Man Syndrome'
'The "Right Men" (and also some women) are domestic household tyrants who terrorise their families but they can be found in all fields of life: in business, politics, art, culture, internet forums etc.
They are poor communicators, appalling listeners and demonstrate a profound inflexibility.
They also often carry an erroneously fixed and out-of-date view about whom a person is and there is nothing that person (whether it be their son/daughter, neighbour, colleague) can do to convince them otherwise.
The "Right Man" thinks he's right because he carries "secret knowledge".
The "Right Man" tends to believe that he knows people better than they know themselves.
Their catch-phrase is: "There is nothing wrong with me; it is everyone else that is at fault."
The "Right Man" must always have his way and is afraid of losing face above all ("How dare you talk to me this way?"): anything that might be an indication of his/her infallibility or erroneous ways is something that he can never admit.
And if things don't exactly go his way, he may try to scare people into submission by breaking into outbursts of rage'

angry-man.jpg