Legalized prostitution 101 for 'sugar babies' and 'sugar daddies' in Business Insider Magazine.

Stephania

Star
They even put the website link to join in the article, which reads like a handler grooming women to join and reap the benefits of their new found 'daddies'. And what kind of readership does Business Insider Magazine have? I would hazard a guess, a majority of business men in particular. (The article even states, only women need apply for daddies at the site, sugar momma's are hard to find.) But this piece was trending on Google for the masses, not just business people. That's how I saw it. I certainly never searched for anything like this. So it came from their algorithms, not mine. Like they were trying to get new recruits. TF?

Chara

Rookie
We call it enjo kosai (援助交際, compensated relationship) in Japanese, it’s also prevalent in Korea, China, and apparently it’s becoming more common in America. People should have more respect for themselves. I like money too but selling your body and maybe getting disease isn’t worth it just to get an expensive handbag. In the early 2000s there were some highly publicized murders of some girls who were involved, and while it’s died out of the Japanese news it’s still fairly common,

Stephania

Star
It's has always been here too, and if women do it, that's their choice... but it has always been underground here until now. Not mainstream like this! Has it been underground or mainstream where you live in Japan?

marcecar10

Established
Editor's note: The author is a freelance writer in her early 30s whose identity has been verified by Business Insider. While some people consider sugar relationships a form of sex work, it's a label rejected by sugar dating sites and some members themselves. Regardless, prostitution is a dangerous and illegal activity. This story is part of a series on the financial side of relationships, and you can read other entries in the series here.

I think this clears up everything. No need to overthink about it.

Chara

Rookie
It’s a little hard to tell. The government really cracked down on it after the murders and there’s a big campaign against it (sort of like the Just Say No To Drugs thing the US did), but it’s a very common plot line in TV shows and movies. If you were involved though it wouldn’t really be something you would be proud to admit, it’s considered extremely trashy. It was a bigger deal in the 2000s because it wasn’t as stigmatized, but it still happens. It seems like the attitudes sort of switched in the US and Japan. It used to be if you admitted to compensated dating in the US people would think you were low class and desperate, and while it wasn’t ever really accepted in Japan it was just sort of acknowledged as something people would do. Now in Japan it’s very stigmatized while some people proudly admit it in the US. People will be like “oh my sugar daddy paid my rent!” You mean you prostituted yourself to get your rent?

Stephania

Star
Editor's note: The author is a freelance writer in her early 30s whose identity has been verified by Business Insider. While some people consider sugar relationships a form of sex work, it's a label rejected by sugar dating sites and some members themselves. Regardless, prostitution is a dangerous and illegal activity. This story is part of a series on the financial side of relationships, and you can read other entries in the series here.

LoL :D

Stephania

Star
It’s a little hard to tell. The government really cracked down on it after the murders and there’s a big campaign against it (sort of like the Just Say No To Drugs thing the US did), but it’s a very common plot line in TV shows and movies. If you were involved though it wouldn’t really be something you would be proud to admit, it’s considered extremely trashy. It was a bigger deal in the 2000s because it wasn’t as stigmatized, but it still happens. It seems like the attitudes sort of switched in the US and Japan. It used to be if you admitted to compensated dating in the US people would think you were low class and desperate, and while it wasn’t ever really accepted in Japan it was just sort of acknowledged as something people would do. Now in Japan it’s very stigmatized while some people proudly admit it in the US. People will be like “oh my sugar daddy paid my rent!” You mean you prostituted yourself to get your rent?
The fact that there is a whole article about how to go about doing it here, complete with link to sugaring site in article.. and that Google trended it from Business Insider Magazine is shocking to me. I've never seen anything like that here before.

Chara

Rookie
Trashy for us, maybe not to them. We can't expect everything to think the same way we ourselves feel about relationships.
Well I am Japanese, in my experience we aren’t too different from most people. People who aren’t involved tend to find it kind of trashy.

Stephania

Star
Trashy for us, maybe not to them. We can't expect everything to think the same way we ourselves feel about relationships.
As I said before.. if a woman does this, I don't judge her. But the way that this is presented is to get women to try it who have never done it before, and glorifies it in a well known American business magazine in a way that I find highly suspicious

marcecar10

Established
I don't it "glorifies" it. As BI puts, it's a series about the financial side about relationships. There's a lot of financial stuff to be discussed there in the sugar daddy relationship, the whole "money for stuff" ordeal and everything.

And after all, it's just another person's story, someone like you or me, who makes her own decisions and has obviously thought about this "sugar baby" thing a lot. I don't think stigmatizing is what she deserves for that. Not that glorifying either.

Stephania

Star
And after all, it's just another person's story, someone like you or me, who makes her own decisions and has obviously thought about this "sugar baby" thing a lot. I don't think stigmatizing is what she deserves for that. Not that glorifying either.
How do you know who she is? Her identity is hidden, she is teaching ppl how to do it through a linked website in the article, and telling people who have never done it the perks of it. I'm sure she got paid for all of that too, it reads like it was written by a handler, and an advertisement for the sugaring site to lure more women there for the men. And TBH, this post wasn't about stigmatizing her, it was questioning the intent of BI magazine and Google. But since you want to make it a simply personal issue, yeah, I don't trust the writer either. I already said people can make their own choices and do what they want with their lives. But this is blatant phishing for new women in that market to go to that site. And why on earth is BI doing a series on the positive benefits of monetarily based relationships in the midst of the Epstein scandal anyways. BTW.. how old does that 'sugar baby' pic of the girl holding all of the sugar cubes look to you? Does the linked site validate girls ages? Just wondering... Also.. I had a friend who had sugar daddies, and she never used the term 'sugar baby' once. ( I also never judged her, and still don't, it was her choice.) But the way this is in the mainstream Business news, the way the terminology is stated, and pushing the benefits of having a monetarily based relationship with an older man in the midst of the Epstein scandal is all too weird for me

Last edited:

morita

Veteran

sounds like they wanna blur the lines btw mainstream dating and prostitution

Noname

Rookie

Yeah, I think it does. At least for me, it's very clear what they are saying.
Independent, "modern" women whom are in a relationship with men for money and other benefits through sites and app do not prostitute themselves, they sugar. That's cool and safe, of course. Poor, forgotten by society women whom sells themselves in the streets are part of the prostitution businness and that's illegal and dangerous.
That's what I call hypocrisy (I'm referring to the article, not to you @marcecar10)

morita

Veteran
I remember ppl used to say in defense of sex workers that clients were not paying for the woman (or man) but for the service. And that was the clear delineation. But if you have to make yourself available 24h/7 for not only sexual but emotional labour how does that work. No boundaries whatsoever.

Stephania

Star
Apparently, it's more common that we might have expected.

Wow. And that's just in Australia.. now it's hit the mainstream media here. I was thinking about it earlier today.. and I remember seeing a billboard on Sunset Blvd in Hollywood about 4-5 years ago advertising sugar babies and dating. But at the time, I wrote it off in my mind as just a dating site because, I was like, they couldn't actually advertise sex for money legally, right? Wrong. :eek:
An other thing is.. this type of thing is time sensitive. What are these girls going to do when they are older and can't do this anymore after choosing it as their profession? Unless on the off chance they find real love in the midst of that, which is probably rare and not the concept.. they will have nothing and no skills but dating and sex when they are deemed 'too old'. :confused: