Differences between the Bible and Islam

This thread is to discuss the differences between the Bible and Islam.

I wrote "the Bible" instead of "Christianity" because it's unproductive to get caught up in denominational disputes. This thread is not about what any particular denomination believes, or what the catechism says - it's about comparing what the Bible says to Islam.

All viewpoints are welcome, but please stay on topic. Please no drama or personal insults.

For starters as far as Islam i will be using this resource

If anyone believes this source does not represent Islam accurately, please provide an alternative option.

As i'd previously been told that the differences mostly amounted to Jesus and the ressurection, i've been surprised to find so many differences.

So much so that im considering making a thread dedicated specifically to the differences between the Bible and Islam, unless such a thread already exists.
As the quote says, i had previously been told that the difference between the Bible and Islam was that the Bible says Jesus is the son of God and Islam says God doesn't have a son, and the Bible says Jesus was resurrected but Islam says He didn't die.

I've since looked through some of the stories of the prophets and found that there are plenty of differences. So that's the point of this thread, to discuss them.

WHO named the animals?

Bible:

Adam names the animals when God brings them to him.

Genesis 2
18And the LORD God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him. 19And out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; and brought them unto Adam to see what he would call them: and whatsoever Adam called every living creature, that was the name thereof. 20And Adam gave names to all cattle, and to the fowl of the air, and to every beast of the field; but for Adam there was not found an help meet for him.

Islam:

And He taught Adam all the names (of everything), then He showed them to the angels and said: "Tell Me the names of these if you are truthful." They (angels) said: "Glory be to You, we have no knowledge except what You have taught us. Verily, it is You, the All-Knower, the All-Wise."

He said: "O Adam! Inform them of their names," and when he had informed them of their names, He said: "Did I not tell you that I know the Ghaib (unseen) in the heavens and the earth, and I know what you reveal and what you have been concealing?"

God named everything, then had Adam inform the angels.
(If i misundestood what it said, clarification please)

Haich

Superstar
How was Adam created in the Bible and how did he know the names of the animals?

edit: just re read what you’d written. So the animals were created for Adam’s enjoyment? Company? And he gave them names from the top of his head?

Haich

Superstar
So In islam we believe the Earth and the animals/plants already existed. They were created before Adam. That’s why God taught Adam the names of things.

would it be safe to assume that Adam was created before everything according to the Bible? And that’s why he named things of his own accord?

Daze

Superstar
This thread is to discuss the differences between the Bible and Islam.

I wrote "the Bible" instead of "Christianity" because it's unproductive to get caught up in denominational disputes. This thread is not about what any particular denomination believes, or what the catechism says - it's about comparing what the Bible says to Islam.

All viewpoints are welcome, but please stay on topic. Please no drama or personal insults.

For starters as far as Islam i will be using this resource

If anyone believes this source does not represent Islam accurately, please provide an alternative option.
I can't speak to your source, as I simply don't have the time or desire to dig through it. But if you post something erroneous, I'm happy to bring a sourced correction.

Haich is correct, the world was here long before us, we are not the first creation.

And (remember) as your Lord said to the Angels, "Surely I am making in the earth a successor." They said, "Will You make therein one who will corrupt in it and shed blood, while we exalt Your praise?" He said, "Surely I know what you do not know." (2:30 Qur'an)

The angels are speaking of djinn in that verse, who were seemingly in constant war with one another.

Adam names the animals when God brings them to him.
And He taught Adam all the names (of everything)
Honestly, this reads like the same thing to me. Ask yourself, who taught Adam?

Far as differences / similarities go, especially amongst the prophets (which seems to be your entire source). You need to stop and insert some logic. Would a man of God, a prophet, commit incest with his daughters?

Even in this corrupt, evil everywhere, modern day world, is incest seen as a good thing generally? Then why do you think men sent by God would engage in it? In a purer / cleaner world, 1000's of years ago?

It's ok to question your scripture you know, and insert God given logic. The Quran is constantly telling us to think, reflect, ponder.
Ultimately we will be questioned on such things. While, you will not find stories that desecrate the prophets in the Quran.

Haich

Superstar
It's ok to question your scripture you know, and insert God given logic.
many are cautious of this because they’re scared of what they’ll find. One thing I do love about Islam is it invites us to question and ponder. Blind belief is just as dangerous as disbelief.

Haich

Superstar
as its a comparrison between both books .

havijng read half the bible before i had to put it down...i came across loads of blood and sacrifices...

its fact..thats why i posted it...

apologies if it upset you :)
you didn’t upset me don’t worry, just don’t want to fill this thread with divisive statements like yours. You’re welcome to post any evidence showing differences in both scriptures. It would be interesting to read

How was Adam created in the Bible and how did he know the names of the animals?

edit: just re read what you’d written. So the animals were created for Adam’s enjoyment? Company? And he gave them names from the top of his head?
-Adam was created from mud and then God breathed life into him.

Genesis 2
7And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul

-The animals were created on day 5 (water animals and birds) and 6 (land animals), Adam on day 6.

Genesis 1

20And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that hath life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. 21And God created great whales, and every living creature that moveth, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. 22And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. 23And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

24And God said, Let the earth bring forth the living creature after his kind, cattle, and creeping thing, and beast of the earth after his kind: and it was so. 25And God made the beast of the earth after his kind, and cattle after their kind, and every thing that creepeth upon the earth after his kind: and God saw that it was good.

26And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth. 27So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them

But since Adam was created before Eve, first animals kept him company.

18And the LORD God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him. 19And out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; and brought them unto Adam to see what he would call them: and whatsoever Adam called every living creature, that was the name thereof. 20And Adam gave names to all cattle, and to the fowl of the air, and to every beast of the field; but for Adam there was not found an help meet for him

The talmud twists this to say Adam commited bestiality, but that's not what the Bible says.

- Yes, it says he named them. Now, did God put the thoughts in his head on what to name them? I honestly never wondered that, nor if it would violate his free will.

So In islam we believe the Earth and the animals/plants already existed. They were created before Adam. That’s why God taught Adam the names of things.

would it be safe to assume that Adam was created before everything according to the Bible? And that’s why he named things of his own accord?
No, plants were created before, on day 3

Genesis 1
11And God said, Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb yielding seed, and the fruit tree yielding fruit after his kind, whose seed is in itself, upon the earth: and it was so. 12And the earth brought forth grass, and herb yielding seed after his kind, and the tree yielding fruit, whose seed was in itself, after his kind: and God saw that it was good. 13And the evening and the morning were the third day.

Man (and subsequently, woman) were God's last creations.

I can't speak to your source, as I simply don't have the time or desire to dig through it. But if you post something erroneous, I'm happy to bring a sourced correction.

Haich is correct, the world was here long before us, we are not the first creation.

And (remember) as your Lord said to the Angels, "Surely I am making in the earth a successor." They said, "Will You make therein one who will corrupt in it and shed blood, while we exalt Your praise?" He said, "Surely I know what you do not know." (2:30 Qur'an)

The angels are speaking of djinn in that verse, who were seemingly in constant war with one another.

Honestly, this reads like the same thing to me. Ask yourself, who taught Adam?

Far as differences / similarities go, especially amongst the prophets (which seems to be your entire source). You need to stop and insert some logic. Would a man of God, a prophet, commit incest with his daughters?

Even in this corrupt, evil everywhere, modern day world, is incest seen as a good thing generally? Then why do you think men sent by God would engage in it? In a purer / cleaner world, 1000's of years ago?

It's ok to question your scripture you know, and insert God given logic. The Quran is constantly telling us to think, reflect, ponder.
Ultimately we will be questioned on such things. While, you will not find stories that desecrate the prophets in the Quran.
- yes we are not the first creation, the Bible doesn't claim we are.

- yes now im wondering did God plant the thoughts in Adam's mind or would that have violated his free willl.

- i already covered the issue of Lot in the other thread. His daughters conspired to get him drunk and r*ped him, he was not complicit, and the Bible spells out the consequences - their offspring became the forefathers of the ammonites and moabites and they caused trouble for the Israelites.

Also, the Law hadn't been given to Moses yet, so it wasn't expressly forbidden yet. And early on there was incest by necessity. I will get there in another post, but the source im using for Islam says Cain and Abel married each other's twin sisters. Is this true?

Zakat

Star
Thank you for that.
I think it sounds better saying Jesus is the son of God, there's so much purity to that :)
I say
God Is Bereft of such shame.

But also, as in respectful old english way of speaking, for after Jesus's time, people no longer so,
1699010859530.png