Bug question for sustainable farmers!

Dtrizzle2091

Rookie
Hi all, I have the biggest vegetable garden I’ve ever had this year and luckily, tho gs are going well because I e been visciously protecting it. I’m super curious about what’s eating my red bell pepper plants though. I have sticks surrounding them for support and I’ve seen what looks like flying ants flying in and out of these stick, as though they’re eating them. There is also homes in every leaf. I at first assumed termites, but would termites eat the live plants? Trying to kill whatever it is with natural incesticide.( a spicy mixture of Thai pepper, garlic, vinegar and oil), but the little buggers are still doing some serious damage. Any thoughts on what it could be?

Lurker

Star
A pic would help. My first "go to" would be a soap spray (I make mine with peppermint soap), then I would use a neem based spray (if needed, then neem based spray with pyrethrins (as a last resort). Hope this helps. Happy gardening.

polymoog

Superstar
are you in the temperate zone or tropical?

termites wouldnt eat small plants (they might eat any wood thats lying around it). some tropical termites will attack living trees.
if you are in the temperate zones, this could be a parasitic wasp (beneficial). a mason bee might nest inside a hollow stick (like a bamboo stick) but i think you wouldve described it differently.

"homes in every leaf" ive seen spiders and some ants roll up leaves, as well as some caterpillars. definitely need a photo.

in addition to lurkers recommendations, you can try to capture some of these insects (if theyre damaging the plants), crush them, and then mix them into his liquid. this might either deter the insects or spread a disease among the living pests.

you could also plant some marigolds around them. in addition to nematodes, it can repel some pests.

Dtrizzle2091

Rookie
Great advice thank you! That was a typo actually my apologies, there is holes in every leaf, not homes. I haven’t actually been able
to find any eggs or signs of activity when I’m out there. I will definitely try the peppermint soap. I actually have a huge bed of peppermint in my yard. Would this infused in dish soap be effective I wonder?

justjess

Superstar
Anyone know what an all white flying bug that looks like an albino bee is? When you smash it the white stuff is like chalk and spreads all over

justjess

Superstar
Pics help. Is THIS what you're talking about? Thanks @polymoog. I always just called them bastards.
My daughter killed the thing and threw it over the balcony before I could get a pic. I think my husband trapped another one in a jar somewhere.. I’ll look outside in the morning.

justjess

Superstar
are you talking about a woolly aphid?
I don’t know lol.. I’ve never seen anything like it. I don’t think it’s the one lurker linked. I’ll try to find the trapped bastard in the morning and get a pic