Are black lives at risk? Not by the police or any other race.

rainerann

Star
Imho, instead of investigating for “systemic racism” in the psyche of police and ingrained in society, there are valuable lessons to learn from events where force is applied by police, and by examining the methods by which said force was applied.

Police have a variety of tools and skills for their job. Sometimes, bad guys want to engage in violent acts. Police are trained and equipped to meet violence with force, which may require violent force. The tools with which they are equipped allow them to effectively engage those hostiles that choose to live dangerously.

History has shown us the result of what happens when people (for example, Trayvon Martin, or most recently, Rayshard Brooks) engage in violent acts and are met with violence by people (George Zimmerman and Officer Garrett Rolfe) who were better prepared for it.

People should not be sitting in a drive thru and run the risk of being hurt or killed because some psycho steals, from the police, a dangerous weapon, like a taser, or worse, a gun, and fires it as many times as he can pull the trigger (Brooks fired the taser like he thought it was a gun he was shooting the police with).

Police are equipped with dangerous weapons that are used to engage dangerous people. So in cases where struggling against them or disarming them and using their own dangerous weapons against them take place, I can understand how police must meet that violence with force (such as pain management), up to and including violent force, if necessary, to deescalate the situation.
right so like the article from 2014 and 2015 shows, three categories where you could apply the job description of a law enforcement officer. You seem to be supporting an argument for defunding the police as well because you are essentially saying that police should only be present when force may be required to deescalate a situation like these three categories suggest.

so nonviolent offenses, traffic offenses, or potential suicide attempts don’t require a law enforcement officer trained to respond with force.

every profession has to deal with deescalating people who become triggered. People with dementia become violent when they get confused too. That doesn’t mean we should call the police on them.

one of the first ways to deescalate a situation like this has always been to get another person on the nursing floor to respond. People are creatures of habit and when one person is triggered by an individual, it can be hard to change their mind.

however, they still are frequently open to a new person they haven’t met or formed an opinion on. So every profession has some way of handling threats when a person is unarmed in a way that is specific to their training. A police officer is no different and there is no reason to have someone trained to respond to threats of violence with an armed perpetrator responding to a call about someone potentially using counterfeit money. An unarmed security guard could do something like this like they already do at multiple locations like malls, theme parks, etc.

there are other ways to address a situation like this. I’m not saying that the best solutions have already been articulated, but they are possible and I am open to new solutions. You seem to be open to new solutions too, you’re just resistant to criticisms of the former solutions. For the most part, this seems to be where the primary division is formed. One side doesn’t see a solution is criticizing an existing process. The other side doesn’t see a solution within the existing process. Would you say that this is true to an extent?

irrationalNinja

Veteran
I was alluding to the fact that police are trained, necessarily, to use force and even carry and employ dangerous weapons, such as: when at a traffic stop that turns violent; a domestic call that turns violent; an overdosed person given Narcan and while awake turns violent; a call about a drunk in a car that turns violent; or even a call about a counterfeit bill that turns violent.

Nobody can predict what psychotic people are going to do or when they are going to do it. Sometimes psychos get taken off the streets, (usually by the police).

@rainerann as a whole I think the police are doing just fine without SJWs wanting change. My opinion on the matter is that for those people who may be concerned about situations involving the police, whether it is a speeding ticket, a drunk driver passed out in the driver’s seat in a drive thru, a wellness check, or even a probation violation, it would be wise to NOT appear dangerous by NOT exhibiting violence against police or NOT struggling if you are being arrested.

Police have dangerous tools for dangerous people. Do not exhibit acts of violence or pose as a danger to police, you won’t see their dangerous weapons. It’s that simple.

rainerann

Star
I was alluding to the fact that police are trained, necessarily, to use force and even carry and employ dangerous weapons, such as: when at a traffic stop that turns violent; a domestic call that turns violent; an overdosed person given Narcan and while awake turns violent; a call about a drunk in a car that turns violent; or even a call about a counterfeit bill that turns violent.

Nobody can predict what psychotic people are going to do or when they are going to do it. Sometimes psychos get taken off the streets, (usually by the police).

@rainerann as a whole I think the police are doing just fine without SJWs wanting change. My opinion on the matter is that for those people who may be concerned about situations involving the police, whether it is a speeding ticket, a drunk driver passed out in the driver’s seat in a drive thru, a wellness check, or even a probation violation, it would be wise to NOT appear dangerous by NOT exhibiting violence against police or NOT struggling if you are being arrested.

Police have dangerous tools for dangerous people. Do not exhibit acts of violence or pose as a danger to police, you won’t see their dangerous weapons. It’s that simple.
hmm, specifically regarding the patient given narcan, those situations primarily happen in hospitals with doctors and nurses present. You know this right? You know that police are not present in these situations most of the time because someone who has overdosed presents in a hospital unarmed and so police do not remain present or wait to see how the person responds when they become conscious.

this actually leads to an interesting reality regarding aggressive patients. It wasn’t that long ago that many hospitals were using restraints in situations like you are describing. Although, there are fewer cases where restraints are being used even in situations like you are describing and alternative methods of deesculation are encouraged which still do not require police intervention most of the time.

there have been fewer patients in restraints for years now and nothing bad has happened. So the illusion that chaos would be created if methods of deesculation were changed is false. Many industries that work with potential risk created by unpredictable behaviors have been changing the ways they respond to these situations and nothing terrible has happened.
And there are legitimate cases where police abuse power, or are you assuming that every police officer takes a training course in humility so that they have perfected the art of acting without an ounce of arrogance?

do police ever abuse their power and what methods would you support to reduce this?

irrationalNinja

Veteran
Is this your way of saying you have run out of things to say on the subject and are unable to answer a basic question?
Just for fun.
Here’s police body camera footage of an officer involved shooting with a multiple felon who overdosed on a bus and was given narcan. After he came to, he decided he was not going to get in the ambulance and take a ride to the hospital (which he needed to do in order to save his life—after the narcan wore off he would be back to overdosing). He had other ideas and it didn’t end well for him or one of the EMTs.

I can only imagine it is instances like this, why an officer does not take chances with believing what a multiple felon, who is in process of committing another felony and resisting arrest, might be claiming, and the officer uses force, sometimes deadly force, before the situation escalates.

Full body cams footage here:

I would like to point out how long after Houston was fatally wounded, that he still posed a threat to the hostage and the people near by, which is why officers are trained to keep firing until the hostile is incapacitated. In Houston’s case, much like the case of Rayshard Brooks, where officers’ and bystanders’ lives were endangered, officers attempted life-saving measures to keep the offenders alive, even after being fired upon with, what appears on the police body cam videos, murderous intent.

I think murderous intent towards police, and then facilitating that murderous intent through one’s environment and actions is a bad idea. Police are better armed and better trained than most civilians. They know how to hurt people. Why fuck with them?

In answer to your question: I suppose police body cameras are a good place to start in keeping police accountable for their actions.

Maes17

Superstar
Why a everything a dick measuring contest? Why can’t Muslims in China be being oppressed but also blacks people in america? Why can’t block people in America be struggling for one set of reasons and white In America be struggling for another set of reasons? Why does it always have to be one or the other? Or which has it worse? Why can’t people just acknowledge everyone’s struggles and realize acknowledging someone else’s reality and struggle doesn’t take away from your own?
Cause that would take away any cause they feel see’s fit. We all do struggle. It’s part of living.

I’d imagine some people like to feel their struggles are some all polarizing movement to gain attention.

If we were all to step back, our struggles are not so different. The perspective is different, but the desired outcome is the same.

rainerann

Star
Just for fun.
Here’s police body camera footage of an officer involved shooting with a multiple felon who overdosed on a bus and was given narcan. After he came to, he decided he was not going to get in the ambulance and take a ride to the hospital (which he needed to do in order to save his life—after the narcan wore off he would be back to overdosing). He had other ideas and it didn’t end well for him or one of the EMTs.

I can only imagine it is instances like this, why an officer does not take chances with believing what a multiple felon, who is in process of committing another felony and resisting arrest, might be claiming, and the officer uses force, sometimes deadly force, before the situation escalates.

I would like to point out how long after Houston was fatally wounded, that he still posed a threat to the hostage and the people near by, which is why officers are trained to keep firing until the hostile is incapacitated. In Houston’s case, much like the case of Rayshard Brooks, where officers’ and bystanders’ lives were endangered, officers attempted life-saving measures to keep the offenders alive, even after being fired upon with, what appears on the police body cam videos, murderous intent.

I think murderous intent towards police, and then facilitating that murderous intent through one’s environment and actions is a bad idea. Police are better armed and better trained than most civilians. They know how to hurt people. Why fuck with them?

In answer to your question: I suppose police body cameras are a good place to start in keeping police accountable for their actions.
well I appreciate the suggestion about the body cams. That would be beneficial.

however, there are several things that you don’t mention from your example that are important things to notice. I watched 17 minutes of the body cam video so far. Quite frankly, the police officer was an entirely unnecessary presence.

the emt and fireman could have handled the whole thing, because he wasn’t actually refusing to go to the hospital at first. He was polite and agreeable with the emt when he became responsive. When they had him getting off the bus, he was willing to go with the emt to get treatment.

he didn’t start out wanting to refuse until having the police officer pat him down became a condition to going to the hospital. The emt did not request this or seem too concerned with whether this was done because the guy who overdosed was not being disagreeable or threatening to them.

even when the man became unwilling to go because he was trying to avoid being patted down, he was not being disagreeable or threatening towards anyone. An emt can encourage him to go to the hospital at this point, but technically. It was his right to refuse. A patient can refuse treatment against medical advice. At this point, an emt cannot intervene or force someone to go to the hospital unless he were to become unconscious and unable to make the decision himself.

that is reality. When this man refused to go to the hospital. He should have been left alone if the police officer did not expect to have to arrest him after he received treatment in the hospital, which the police officer didn’t.

on the bus, he checked with someone while he was standing there otherwise useless about whether the drug use needed to be pursued. Someone told him to just document it.

when he was trying to persuade the man to let him pat him down real quick, he said specifically that this action would not be done because he was in any kind of trouble.

therefore if at that point, the man decided that he did not want to go to the hospital because of this condition, it was his conscious right to refuse and everyone involved at the scene should have let him go at this point because they can’t intervene if he is not being arrested for something or unless he goes unconscious again.

so this is 17 minutes of the body cam video and there is more than enough reason to believe this situation would not have escalated if the police officer wasn’t present.

it is reasonable that the man would have gone to the hospital, and the weapon would have been confiscated during the process of changing the man into a hospital gown and collecting his belongings.

in a hospital, if he was unwilling to do this for the same reason that he was unwilling to be patted down by the officer. He would have had to sign a release saying he was leaving against medical advice and he would have been free to go.

having a weapon didn’t make him a threat. Pulling out his weapon was more than likely an effort to protect himself rather than an open willingness to commit an act of violence for the sheer enjoyment of it.

his prior felonies do not necessarily make him a threat to commit more violence And there was no mention of this during the time leading up to him pulling out a weapon.

in the end, I wouldn’t say this was an example of a police officer abusing his power. I would not say that the way you are suggesting this ended should have even been handled differently by a court.

but this example still demonstrates that there is a lot more that we need to do besides equipping police with body cams. and this example does clearly support defunding the police so that they don’t participate in a call where there has not been a crime committed and there is no reason to believe that there is a threat of violence present because this type of situation does not necessitate the presence of the police.

the police officer was legitimately a third wheel and did more to help escalate the situation than anything else. Obviously, this was an innocent escalation but it was the police officer who escalated the situation regardless.

justjess

Superstar
Just for fun.

oh that’s a load of crap. You don’t automatically reoverdose when narcan wears off and every person in this country has a right to refuse medical attention. There’s also laws granting immunity in the event police get involved during an overdose so he couldn’t even be arrested - let alone killed. When he woke up and said no to the hospital that should have been it.

I have clients that beat me up on a daily basis. The worst that happens is a restraint until they calm down and that’s a last resort. If a 5 foot tall 100lb female with spaghetti arms can deescalate a crisis situation without anyone getting seriously harmed apolice Officer should be able to do so as well.

irrationalNinja

Veteran
Pulling out his weapon was more than likely an effort to protect himself rather than an open willingness to commit an act of violence for the sheer enjoyment of it.
Houston started an unprovoked shootout with police, shot and killed an EMT, who was no threat at all and had just saved Houston’s life, then took a woman hostage at gunpoint. By your rationale, when he took that woman hostage he was not committing a violent act, he was just trying to protect himself by using her as a human shield. Or maybe you will attempt to explain it as Houston was actually the good guy trying to save that woman from the abusive police officers. However you try to reframe it, the police took down another bad guy, and the streets are safer because of it. The body cam footage shows all that.

Imho, Houston using the woman as a human shield to catch the officers’ bullets so he would not be hit—the open willingness to exchange the life of an innocent bystander for his own—is not a sign of good character. I think taking violent actions to protect himself from a nonexistent, perceived threat, and then taking violent action against an innocent bystander is deplorable. Your defense of his actions by saying he was only trying to protect himself speaks volumes about your adherence to “The Narrative.”

People like Reuben Houston and Rayshard Brooks cannot go around shooting police and expect to not get shot. Again, police officers have dangerous weapons to use against dangerous people.

justjess

Superstar
Funnily enough those dangerous people weren’t dangerous until the cops got involved. We have an ass backwards way of dealing with mental illness and drug addiction that leads to a whole lot of problems unnecessarily.

if you understand behavior you can understand how the unnecessary presence of a cop can serve as a discriminative stimulus for unwanted behaviors in and of itself. Especially for someone who’s been in prison.

MO (getting away safe) > SD (cop) > B (escape behavior) > C (death)

this is the opposite of crisis management and deescalation and there’s ways to manage these issues that are safer for everyone - citizens AND cops.

A Freeman

Superstar
Yes I've read the protocols.

Its not hard to predict what will or will not be fulfilled when the elites were the ones who created the hoax called the protocols in the first place. The Protocols are a "false flag"

There is a conspiracy which is loosely based on some of the things in it.

But it wasn't some secret meeting of Jews plotting to turn the world into a communist hell hole.

If it isn't clear to you yet, thats what the Freemasons who promoted that junk, wanted people to think.

and if you still can't see it today, these same elites are still running the same script.

Haven't you seen the fear mongering about Antifa, Soros, BLM ? Trying to take over America and the world. Its comic book nonsense.
What's comic book nonsense are your posts. It's difficult to determine whether you're shilling for the counterfeit Jews or whether you're simply ignorant of the fact that the counterfeit Jews created and run freemasonry from the top down.

https://www.jweekly.com/2003/09/10/jews-and-freemasons-a-not-so-secret-brotherhood/

From: http://www.nwo-news.com/2016/04/11/masonic-jews-plot-to-control-world/

One of the unheralded and least known facts about Freemasonry and the Masonic Lodge is its Jewish origins and nature. The religion of Judaism, based on the Babylonian Talmud, and the Jewish Cabala (or, Kabala), an alchemical system of magic and deviltry, form the basis for the Scottish Rite’s 33 ritual degree ceremonies.

Thus, The Jewish Tribune of New York, on October 28, 1927, stated; “Masonry is based on Judaism. Eliminate the teachings of Judaism from the Masonic Ritual and what is left?”

The well known rabbi, Isaac Wise, was emphatic when he concluded: “Freemasonry is a Jewish establishment, whose history, grades, official appointments, passwords, and explanations are Jewish from beginning to end.”

In the classic treatise of the Masons, Morals and Dogma, authored by the late Sovereign Grand Commander of the Scottish Rite, Albert Pike, we discover the revelation that the Jewish cabala is the very basis of Masonic practice and ritual and that the cabalistic “Theology of the Sephiroth” is at the root of all Masonic knowledge. This, admits Pike, is “high magic,” the “Sacerdotal Art,” and the “Royal Art.”

The Jewish cabalistic nature of Masonry is demonstrated by the Lodge’s odd view of evil. Pike writes: “The true name of Satan, the Kabalists say, is that of Yahweh reversed; for Satan is not a black god, but the negation of God…For the Initiates, this is not a Person, but a Force, created for good, but which may serve for evil. It is the instrument of Liberty and Free Will.”

-------

It should be self-evident that the only way to end this destructive conflict is to get rid of ALL of the mechanisms used to divide an conquer, namely: church/corporate organized religions and state/corporate governments, as well as the corporate media and the corporate financial institutions which run it all, along with the banksters' secret societies.

rainerann

Star
Houston started an unprovoked shootout with police, shot and killed an EMT, who was no threat at all and had just saved Houston’s life, then took a woman hostage at gunpoint. By your rationale, when he took that woman hostage he was not committing a violent act, he was just trying to protect himself by using her as a human shield. Or maybe you will attempt to explain it as Houston was actually the good guy trying to save that woman from the abusive police officers. However you try to reframe it, the police took down another bad guy, and the streets are safer because of it. The body cam footage shows all that.

Imho, Houston using the woman as a human shield to catch the officers’ bullets so he would not be hit—the open willingness to exchange the life of an innocent bystander for his own—is not a sign of good character. I think taking violent actions to protect himself from a nonexistent, perceived threat, and then taking violent action against an innocent bystander is deplorable. Your defense of his actions by saying he was only trying to protect himself speaks volumes about your adherence to “The Narrative.”

People like Reuben Houston and Rayshard Brooks cannot go around shooting police and expect to not get shot. Again, police officers have dangerous weapons to use against dangerous people.
to clarify because this is all you highlighted and is completely out of context now. I said that he was trying to protect himself as a way of conveying something more along the lines of trying to protect himself from potentially going back to jail, which is why he wanted to refuse medical attention when it required him to be patted down. I wasn’t saying that he was acting in self defense with the woman you are saying he used as a shield. There is a difference.

and I said that the outcome in the court case wouldn’t have been different because wanting to refuse medical care because you are carrying a weapon doesn’t justify an act of violence in the end.

nevertheless, it was the police officer that escalated the situation. The man would have been fine to go to the hospital if the police officer wasn’t there. He would have walked away without causing harm to anyone even with the police officer there if he had been allowed to refuse medical care which was his right. The police officer escalated the situation and there Is no reason to believe that the police officer was a necessary presence at this call outside of the situation that he helped to create.

you are manipulating what I said and what actually happened.

Last edited:

rainerann

Star
well I appreciate the suggestion about the body cams. That would be beneficial.

however, there are several things that you don’t mention from your example that are important things to notice. I watched 17 minutes of the body cam video so far. Quite frankly, the police officer was an entirely unnecessary presence.

the emt and fireman could have handled the whole thing, because he wasn’t actually refusing to go to the hospital at first. He was polite and agreeable with the emt when he became responsive. When they had him getting off the bus, he was willing to go with the emt to get treatment.

he didn’t start out wanting to refuse until having the police officer pat him down became a condition to going to the hospital. The emt did not request this or seem too concerned with whether this was done because the guy who overdosed was not being disagreeable or threatening to them.

even when the man became unwilling to go because he was trying to avoid being patted down, he was not being disagreeable or threatening towards anyone. An emt can encourage him to go to the hospital at this point, but technically. It was his right to refuse. A patient can refuse treatment against medical advice. At this point, an emt cannot intervene or force someone to go to the hospital unless he were to become unconscious and unable to make the decision himself.

that is reality. When this man refused to go to the hospital. He should have been left alone if the police officer did not expect to have to arrest him after he received treatment in the hospital, which the police officer didn’t.

on the bus, he checked with someone while he was standing there otherwise useless about whether the drug use needed to be pursued. Someone told him to just document it.

when he was trying to persuade the man to let him pat him down real quick, he said specifically that this action would not be done because he was in any kind of trouble.

therefore if at that point, the man decided that he did not want to go to the hospital because of this condition, it was his conscious right to refuse and everyone involved at the scene should have let him go at this point because they can’t intervene if he is not being arrested for something or unless he goes unconscious again.

so this is 17 minutes of the body cam video and there is more than enough reason to believe this situation would not have escalated if the police officer wasn’t present.

it is reasonable that the man would have gone to the hospital, and the weapon would have been confiscated during the process of changing the man into a hospital gown and collecting his belongings.

in a hospital, if he was unwilling to do this for the same reason that he was unwilling to be patted down by the officer. He would have had to sign a release saying he was leaving against medical advice and he would have been free to go.

having a weapon didn’t make him a threat. Pulling out his weapon was more than likely an effort to protect himself rather than an open willingness to commit an act of violence for the sheer enjoyment of it.

his prior felonies do not necessarily make him a threat to commit more violence And there was no mention of this during the time leading up to him pulling out a weapon.

in the end, I wouldn’t say this was an example of a police officer abusing his power. I would not say that the way you are suggesting this ended should have even been handled differently by a court.

but this example still demonstrates that there is a lot more that we need to do besides equipping police with body cams. and this example does clearly support defunding the police so that they don’t participate in a call where there has not been a crime committed and there is no reason to believe that there is a threat of violence present because this type of situation does not necessitate the presence of the police.

the police officer was legitimately a third wheel and did more to help escalate the situation than anything else. Obviously, this was an innocent escalation but it was the police officer who escalated the situation regardless.
well it turns out I gave the police officer more credit than he deserved. I finished watching the whole 40 minute body cam.

from minute 21 to 24, one of the cops is on the phone with someone trying to determine how he can justify forcing a search. He literally asks about whether the admission of taking four prescription pills that are not his prescription would justify him using force to search him and send him to the hospital.

It seems like he is told that he can do something along these lines. You can’t hear what the person on the phone is saying and there are two body cams at this point.

in the second body cam, there is a discussion where it seems like the bus worker has basically been recruited to “encourage” him to go to the hospital and comply by suggesting that he can’t get back on the bus without being medically cleared.

I don’t think this is true for one. The bus company should not have this sort of liability present and be able to run a bus service considering how unpredictable something like a medical issue can be.

regardless, to deescalate at this point, you could just leave him at the bus stop. No medical care, no bus.

The police officer literally spent some of the time trying to find a way to force him to accept medical care by finding a way to assume that he was guilty of a crime.

the police officer escalated the situation. I think he did this because he thought he wasn’t at risk of harm and that he could push his authority in this way. He did seem legitimately surprised when the man started shooting in an attempt to get away.

However, the police officer was still clearly a completely unnecessary presence and entirely provoked a violent situation. It doesn’t justify the man shooting indiscriminately in an attempt to get away, but it a reality that this could have easily been avoided.

Last edited:

justjess

Superstar
well it turns out I gave the police officer more credit than he deserved. I finished watching the whole 40 minute body cam.

from minute 21 to 24, one of the cops is on the phone with someone trying to determine how he can justify forcing a search. He literally asks about whether the admission of taking four prescription pills that are not his prescription would justify him using force to search him and send him to the hospital.

It seems like he is told that he can do something along these lines. You can’t hear what the person on the phone is saying and there are two body cams at this point.

in the second body cam, there is a discussion where it seems like the bus worker has basically been recruited to “encourage” him to go to the hospital and comply by suggesting that he can’t get back on the bus without being medically cleared.

I don’t think this is true for one. The bus company should not have this sort of liability present and be able to run a bus service considering how unpredictable something like a medical issue can be.

regardless, to deescalate at this point, you could just leave him at the bus stop. No medical care, no bus.

The police officer literally spent some of the time trying to find a way to force him to accept medical care by finding a way to assume that he was guilty of a crime.

the police officer escalated the situation. I think he did this because he thought he wasn’t at risk of harm and that he could push his authority in this way. He did seem legitimately surprised when the man started shooting in an attempt to get away.

However, the police officer was still clearly a completely unnecessary presence and entirely provoked a violent situation. It doesn’t justify the man shooting indiscriminately in an attempt to get away, but it a reality that this could have easily been avoided.
I guess those officers haven’t heard a law passed granting immunity from drug related crimes if the police respond to an overdose. Must have missed it..

Actually it’s like this. Black communities are targeted for investigations and arrests. I.e people outside or driving etc. They are targeted for drug crimes ( unfairly considering drug use statistics ) and thus over-policied.

But try making a call to the cops for DV in a black neighborhood, or a robbery or a fight, whatever, they take forever to show up, if they even do at all.
Why would they? If the police doesn't show up, they're racist. They show up and do what they're supposed to do, they're racist. There's no win. If I was a cop called up for black-on-black violence in the current US climate, I'd consider letting them go at it too.

irrationalNinja

Veteran
Funnily enough those dangerous people weren’t dangerous until the cops got involved.
Officers are equipped to deal with dangerous people. In Houston’s case, he was a multiple felon who had lost the right to lawfully carry a concealed weapon, chose to carrying a concealed weapon, and then made the decision to not only use that dangerous weapon on police but use it to take a woman hostage and use her as a human shield against gunfire. It appears Houston held no value for human life and was a danger to public health long before the police got involved—his actions speak to what he was capable of and what he was willing to do (the EMT who saved Houston life, was then shot and killed by Houston). Fortunately, the police presence that day made Appleton much safer for law-abiding citizens by taking a dangerous man off the streets.

Imho, in Houston’s case, one of the officers should have had time to shoot Houston immediately when he pulled his pistol and started firing at police and EMTs. Houston had time to shoot an EMT and take a woman hostage, which may have been prevented had police fired on Houston as soon as he presented himself as a threat—when he drew his pistol and opened fire. Anybody willing to shoot medical personnel who saved his life then take a woman hostage to use as a human shield is already dangerous before police get involved.

Houston was carrying a concealed weapon in blatant disregard for the law and public safety (somebody overdosing on a bus while carrying a firearm is a public safety concern, imo). Things would have ended differently had Houston not created a dangerous situation when he attempted to shoot his way out of the mess he got himself into. Rayshard Brooks, for that matter, is no different. Both men presented themselves as a threat to police and the general public and were dealt with accordingly.