Apparently, even Arthur needs a homosexual character

justjess

Superstar
there was a character in Sesame Street whos father was in jail.

How is that “shaping our kids”

The country isn’t majority white married heterosexual Christians with two point five kids and a dog anymore. It never really was. But the illusion that it was is fading. People are demanding representation in the shows and movies they watch or they are looking elsewhere to things that better reflect their experiences or values. In RESPONSE these media companies - to get their money - are including them.

mecca

Superstar
No, but I believe that the media can make it acceptable in society and has been working that angle for quite some time, mostly with adults. Now they’ve moved into children’s cartoons apparently.

Since you are a muslim...do muslims believe that being gay is ok? I guess you must since you said it’s ok, but is that what islam teaches?
Children already understand that gay people exist in reality. It doesn't matter to them. Gay people's existence is not somehow harmful for young people. It's not very christian of you to want to teach your child to be hateful or discriminatory towards gay people simply because they're different from you. Gay people exist in real life and they're sometimes on TV, same as anyone else in the world... get over it. There are people of all religions that are not discriminatory towards other groups of people.

elsbet

Superstar
Children already understand that gay people exist in reality. It doesn't matter to them. Gay people's existence is not somehow harmful for young people. It's not very christian of you to want to teach your child to be hateful or discriminatory towards gay people simply because they're different from you. Gay people exist in real life and they're sometimes on TV, same as anyone else in the world... get over it. There are people of all religions that are not discriminatory towards other groups of people.
LOL!

Lisa

Superstar
Lol "the new norm". Being gay is not seen as the norm in our society. Gay people still face discrimination. The majority of people are still straight. The majority of people will always be straight. Gay people are a minority and they always occur at smaller rates than straight people, that's how nature works. You seriously believe that the TV can make people gay? Reality doesn't work that way. There's nothing wrong with being a gay person and there should be able to be gay characters without people getting up in arms about it.
I don’t think they do face discrimination, many homosexuals are hired and I have worked with many.

I never said tv makes people homosexual, I guess you can keep saying that but that’s not what I said. I said that media can make it so that it’s accepted as normal. That’s not the same thing. Although perhaps it encourages people to try it out...

mecca

Superstar
I don’t think they do face discrimination, many homosexuals are hired and I have worked with many.
Lol. They aren't even afforded the same legal protections as everyone else. They face marginalization in all areas of society. People are still being murdered for being gay/LGBTQ. That's slowly changing but society is still prejudiced against them.
I never said tv makes people homosexual, I guess you can keep saying that but that’s not what I said. I said that media can make it so that it’s accepted as normal. That’s not the same thing. Although perhaps it encourages people to try it out...
It is normal... some people happen to be gay, it's a phenomenon that occurs and exists in this world. Seriously just get over it, it's not that big of a deal. Why should gay people be discriminated from television just because you don't like them?
Although perhaps it encourages people to try it out...
Lmao. Yeah why don't you "try out" marrying a woman Lisa. Just "try out" being in a relationship with someone that you can't fall in love with.

Lisa

Superstar
Lol. They aren't even afforded the same legal protections as everyone else. They face marginalization in all areas of society. People are still being murdered for being gay/LGBTQ. That's slowly changing but society is still prejudiced against them.

It is normal... some people happen to be gay, it's a phenomenon that occurs and exists in this world. Seriously just get over it, it's not that big of a deal. Why should gay people be discriminated from television just because you don't like them?
I don’t think so...very few people were murdered for being homosexual...unless you want to count muslim homosexual killings..that could be a lot?

I also don’t think society is all that against them anymore...tv and movies have done their job.

God tells us that it’s not normal and not what He wants. Marriage and sex is between a man and a woman. He calls homosexuality an abomination so it’s actually God who doesn’t like what’s going on.

The country isn’t majority white married heterosexual Christians with two point five kids and a dog anymore. It never really was. But the illusion that it was is fading. People are demanding representation in the shows and movies they watch or they are looking elsewhere to things that better reflect their experiences or values. In RESPONSE these media companies - to get their money - are including them.
Riiight....because nothing represents the values we want to instill in our kids like featuring parents as criminals, & quality time consists of talking to Dad through bulletproof glass & Father’s Day gifts are selected from commissary. :rolleyes:

Do you think that’s teaching kids to aim high in life?

justjess

Superstar
what was the context? was the man in jail being glorified?
No. The kid was sad. That was the context.

There are two million children in this country with a parent in jail. Do you have any idea - from a social worker perspective - how helpful/validating/powerful that was for these kids?

There is a difference between acknowledging and glorifying.

And no @Claire Rousseau it wasn’t teaching them to aim for that.

Homos are the most hateful, intolerant & discriminatory community.

And not everyone knows/wants to know what a homo is. My 11 year old daughter doesn’t, at least not in the way society has been brainwashed to accept it. And my sons see it for what it is: a depraved, unnatural & filthy death style that they will not defend.

And shame on you for attempting to use religion to manipulate Lisa. You don’t even know what Christianity represents, you are not Christian, so don’t try to tell us how to believe or practice our religion.

No. The kid was sad. That was the context.

There are two million children in this country with a parent in jail. Do you have any idea - from a social worker perspective - how helpful/validating/powerful that was for these kids?

There is a difference between acknowledging and glorifying.

And no @Claire Rousseau it wasn’t teaching them to aim for that.
No child would/should be anything but ashamed that their parent is a criminal.

Of course it doesn’t mean the child shouldn’t love their parent even though they are a criminal, but it doesn’t seem appropriate to acknowledge the parent for bad behavior.

People acknowledge good behavior, and it seems that it would be confusing to a child to acknowledge the bad in any light but negative.

justjess

Superstar
No child would/should be anything but ashamed that their parent is a criminal.

Of course it doesn’t mean the child shouldn’t love their parent even though they are a criminal, but it doesn’t seem appropriate to acknowledge the parent for bad behavior.

People acknowledge good behavior, and it seems that it would be confusing to a child to acknowledge the bad in any light but negative.
Do you still love sinners claire? Didn’t god tell you to go into the prisons and minister?

We have 2 million children in this country with an incarcerated parent. Suffering all sorts of mental health and social consequences as a result. The sin wasn’t theirs but they wear it and suffer for it just as much if not more. (The same can be said for the children of homosexuals).

Acknowledging their existence and letting them know they aren’t alone, letting them see someone like them on screen that they can relate to isn’t going to cause any harm. (Again also applies to the children of homosexuals)

Last edited:

elsbet

Superstar

Wildly different from the situation in the OP. Sounds like it was for the benefit of the kid-- and as a kid's show, it should be. I haven't watched much Sesame Street since I was a kid, myself, but they always seemed to be good about things like that.

The country isn’t majority white married heterosexual Christians with two point five kids and a dog anymore. It never really was.
I don't know of anyone who believes that. Most of us, regardless of religion or race, etc., come from 'broken homes.' Weekends and holidays are divvied up between parents, and crap like Who gets you for Thanksgiving and Christmas every year is the norm. If you reach adulthood with your family still in tact, you're one of the lucky ones.

justjess

Superstar
Wildly different from the situation in the OP. Sounds like it was for the benefit of the kid-- and as a kid's show, it should be. I haven't watched much Sesame Street since I was a kid, myself, but they always seemed to be good about things like that.

I don't know of anyone who believes that. Most of us, regardless of religion or race, etc., come from 'broken homes.' Weekends and holidays are divvied up between parents, and crap like Who gets you for Thanksgiving and Christmas every year is the norm. If you reach adulthood with your family still in tact, you're one of the lucky ones.
I would argue the same thing about Arthur though... and I did above. How many kids are being raised in this country by homosexual parents? I’d be willing to bet it’s at least comparable to the amount of kids with a parent in jail.

What do you think the effect on their development is of never seeing a family similar to those represented ? Isolation, confusion, lack of self confidence, shame? I mean that list could potentially go on and on for quite some time...

No matter how you personally feel about homosexuality it isn’t always about us. Or even the homosexuals themselves. Those kids didn’t ask for homo parents. They didn’t get to choose. And the “sins” of their parents aren’t their fault. They have to function in a world which already tells them their families are wrong. That screws with a kids head. Anything that can be done to ease that for them isn’t a bad thing.

Look... homosexuality makes me uncomfortable personally but it is a part of this world and anyone’s contention that it isn’t normal or it’s sinful or whatever isn’t going to make it go away. It’s not. Banning it being shown on tv isn’t going to make it go away.

at the end of the day we have a whole lot of innocent children who are being brought into this circumstance through no fault of their own who we could potentially help by just putting our discomfort to the side for a minute and empathizing.

There are bigger battles to fight... sex on tv between heteros or homos should not exist for example. That’s actually damaging to children.

elsbet

Superstar
I would argue the same thing about Arthur though... and I did above. How many kids are being raised in this country by homosexual parents? I’d be willing to bet it’s at least comparable to the amount of kids with a parent in jail.
Ehh.. having a parent in jail can be an unfortunate hardship-- economically, socially, emotionally... the reality and the stigma associated can take an unfair toll on the kid. But it's not always a permanent situation-- there is life after-- everyone screws up, but not everyone is penalized in the same way. I agree that it's important to address that in shows for kids. Why wouldn't it be?

From the article in the OP, though, it doesn't sound like a similar situation to the Sesame Street episode. These weren't parents of one of the characters, who may have been adversely affected.. so not really comparable.

justjess

Superstar
Ehh.. having a parent in jail can be an unfortunate hardship-- economically, socially, emotionally... the reality and the stigma associated can take an unfair toll on the kid. But it's not always a permanent situation-- there is life after-- everyone screws up, but not everyone is penalized in the same way. I agree that it's important to address that in shows for kids. Why wouldn't it be?

From the article in the OP, though, it doesn't sound like a similar situation to the Sesame Street episode. These weren't parents of one of the characters, who may have been adversely affected.. so not really comparable.
It’s not a direct equivalent but it still lets kids see that there are people out there like their parents that are good people.

mecca

Superstar
Homos are the most hateful, intolerant & discriminatory community.

And not everyone knows/wants to know what a homo is. My 11 year old daughter doesn’t, at least not in the way society has been brainwashed to accept it. And my sons see it for what it is: a depraved, unnatural & filthy death style that they will not defend.

And shame on you for attempting to use religion to manipulate Lisa. You don’t even know what Christianity represents, you are not Christian, so don’t try to tell us how to believe or practice our religion.
Lol. Luckily you can't ban an innocent group of people from television just because you hate them. LGBT people exist in the world whether you like it or not, they're not going to disappear just because it makes you uncomfortable for some reason.

mecca

Superstar
Apparently watching two people walk down the aisle for 3 seconds is "graphic content" for the poor children's eyes. That's the extent of the "gay themes" in this Arthur episode. Just because they happen to both be male characters doesn't mean that it's somehow "inappropriate content". Nothing developmentally inappropriate for a young child was shown. Children go to weddings all the time, weddings are not graphic or sexual. I personally went to a couple of (straight) weddings when I was quite young... guess what, nothing happened. I didn't view anything that was inappropriate for my age. The Arthur episode doesn't even show an entire wedding in the first place... the characters literally only walk down the aisle, and it later cuts to them dancing on the dance floor for a second.