“Fairytales” and their dark origins and nursery rhymes

Dreamymoon

Established
Fairytales go back hundreds of years and it seems like nearly all, if not all all of them have dark and disturbing origins. Disney took several and other movie companies and made them more family friendly but their origins are less than innocent. Even when made more innocent you can still see how disturbing they are. Even ones Disney didn’t take on are creepy...like for example I remember Hansel and Gretel being awful and my mum who grew up with these stories thinks so too. Red Riding Hood is another too.… I mean grandma is eaten by a wolf and the piglets in three pigs get terrorised by a wolf.

I am unsure why they are called “fairy” tales.

thoughts?

also, nursery rhymes are all dreadful too and have dark origins. I learnt at school about how “ring a ring a Rosey” was connected to the bubonic plague. Then there is rock a by baby… the cradle breaks! Humpty dumpty, he had a great fall, Jack and Jill tumbled… always some harm done to someone or an animal.

Yeah, they definitely aren't as innocent as some may think they are. There's always something violent or cruel happening. The Hansel and Gretel thing is absolutely horrifying. Just imagine being kids that get lured in by a house made out of food... and then that's it... there's no going back. These things don't have to be so dark!
Yea ring around the rosey is quite frightening...

Dreamymoon

Established
Yeah, they definitely aren't as innocent as some may think they are. There's always something violent or cruel happening. The Hansel and Gretel thing is absolutely horrifying. Just imagine being kids that get lured in by a house made out of food... and then that's it... there's no going back. These things don't have to be so dark!
They also throw the witch in the oven wth

BananaLaser

Veteran
Fairytales go back hundreds of years and it seems like nearly all, if not all all of them have dark and disturbing origins. Disney took several and other movie companies and made them more family friendly but their origins are less than innocent. Even when made more innocent you can still see how disturbing they are. Even ones Disney didn’t take on are creepy...like for example I remember Hansel and Gretel being awful and my mum who grew up with these stories thinks so too. Red Riding Hood is another too.… I mean grandma is eaten by a wolf and the piglets in three pigs get terrorised by a wolf.

I am unsure why they are called “fairy” tales.

thoughts?

also, nursery rhymes are all dreadful too and have dark origins. I learnt at school about how “ring a ring a Rosey” was connected to the bubonic plague. Then there is rock a by baby… the cradle breaks! Humpty dumpty, he had a great fall, Jack and Jill tumbled… always some harm done to someone or an animal.
I agree. Why do you think they make these stories so morbid, considering they are for children? I’d be quite intrigued to hear your thoughts.

But I think Hansel and Gretel was meant to scare kids to not take candy from strangers and had to be dark to be effective.

Anyone has blogs/books/videos decoding the meaning of these fairytales and myths? the Fourth Era on yt decodes superheroes and scifi stuff

I just wanted to say that even the cleaned up disney versions are still disturbing. Women being woken up by receiving an unconsentual kiss and stuff like that. Being kissed in your sleep is assault.

About red riding hood, has anyone watched the movie freeway? It's a modern retelling of little red riding hood except now she's a hitchhiker and the wolf is a human serial killer. I don't remember the details from when i watched it but it was dark, definitely not for children.