"your God Is No Different"

DisenfranchisedDespot

Established
How do you know?
She doesn't.

Romans 6:23 KJV
For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

A sin may be a sin in the end but murder will never equate to lust. Even viewing the penalties in the Old Testament they had various penalties in varying degrees. In God giving the laws to Israel He obviously acknowledged the differences in sin yet ultimately still saw sin for what it was and requiring repentance.

Yahda

Veteran
Let me try an answer on you that makes some sense to me...

Here in Matthew 19 Jesus is recorded as asking the impossible of a really nice guy...

16And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life? 17And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments. 18He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, 19Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.20The young man saith unto him, All these things have I kept from my youth up: what lack I yet? 21Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me. 22But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful: for he had great possessions.

23Then said Jesus unto his disciples, Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven. 24And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

You could argue that the message here was that the decent young guy in the encounter was wanting to do his best, and Jesus went straight to the point and showed him that he needed to be perfected by giving away all his goods in order to have eternal life. You might then feel inclined to pick up on Jesus saying there is none good but God. Again, us Jesus saying he is not God or is he trying to provoke this man to think?

The standard set was so high that the disciples thought to themselves 'If this great guy can't do enough to make it, what hope is there for us regular Joes' (my paraphrase)

25When his disciples heard it, they were exceedingly amazed, saying, Who then can be saved? 26But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

In the opener to this passage our man asks the million dollar question - what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life...

This guy was asking what could be done to make his works measure up. The answer asked too much of him.

Getting to your question, how can someone pay for the sins of another? If I am in debt and I ask someone else with no cash to pay off my credit cards, the bank won't be very interested. The only way to sort that situation out is for someone with a decent bank balance to pay off my creditors for me.

Perhaps the OT restriction on paying for anothers misdeeds falls under this pattern. A tradition that provokes a question. Similarly, as the Jews sacrificed a lamb without spot or blemish at passover the question must have resonated with them over the years 'why'. For some, when Jesus gave his life as meekly as a lamb at Passover, they would have made that connection.

You could remain in the same position as the young man in the account, saying "what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life". I am not quite so confident of my righteousness, I guess I identify more with another guy from Luke 18:3

"But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, 'God, have mercy on me, a sinner.'

A rich man can't enter heaven when God's people had an abundance of wealth ? Think of Job, Abraham etc

Anyway God even said no man can pay for your sins because no payment is enough, too costly, for the soul is precious so try again. Psalms 49:8

DisenfranchisedDespot

Established
Is masturbation even a sin?
It's the lusting that would be the sin, fornication or adultery in the heart. Consequently it can manifest itself outwardly through erectile dysfunction and ruining relationships.

I'm speaking of lustful masturbation.

DisenfranchisedDespot

Established
A rich man can't enter heaven when God's people had an abundance of wealth ? Think of Job, Abraham etc

Anyway God even said no man can pay for your sins because no payment is enough, too costly, for the soul is precious so try again. Psalms 49:8
I am only imagining at this moment but

Jesus's death could possibly have been spiritual in nature since he was the lamb and that physically no man can die for another's sin but the spiritual lamb to end all sacrifices could.

Don't hold me to that because I don't know though.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar

6They that trust in their wealth, and boast themselves in the multitude of their riches;

7None of them can by any means redeem his brother, nor give to God a ransom for him:

8(For the redemption of their soul is precious, and it ceaseth for ever

9That he should still live for ever, and not see corruption.

10For he seeth that wise men die, likewise the fool and the brutish person perish, and leave their wealth to others.

11Their inward thought is, that their houses shall continue for ever, and their dwelling places to all generations; they call their lands after their own names.

12Nevertheless man being in honour abideth not: he is like the beasts that perish.

13This their way is their folly: yet their posterity approve their sayings. Selah.

14Like sheep they are laid in the grave; death shall feed on them; and the upright shall have dominion over them in the morning; and their beauty shall consume in the grave from their dwelling.

15But God will redeem my soul from the power of the grave: for he shall receive me. Selah.

Make the connection...

Luke 18:27

"What is impossible with man is possible with God."

Lisa

Superstar
Yes because masturbating is the equivalent of child murder. What a guy that God of yours.
You missed the point I was making, its all sin and its all bad to God, that's why He doesn't see one worse than the other...its all worse!

Lady

Star
The word "Allah" just means "God" in Arabic. The word "Yahweh" just means God in Hebrew. Jesus of Nazareth is the name and title of a person and does not translate into a meaning. The closest thing to "Allah" or "Yahweh" in the Bible would be God the Father.

Jesus is the English translation of the Hebrew name of God's Son, Yahshua. Yahshua means "salvation" in Hebrew.
It has a meaning of eternal import!

Perhaps he wants to try the "divide and conquer", or "separating a sheep from the main flock" strategy?

*ducks for cover*
Here's a joke for you

A priest and a rabbi are walking together in a park. The priest spots a young boy, turns to the rabbi and asks him "Why don't we go over there and fuck that boy?". The rabbi looks at the priest and replies "fuck him out of what?"

JoChris

Superstar
Aspiringsoul I am sure I could find anti-Muslim jokes to stir the pot but I will follow the advice of King Solomon....

Proverbs 17:14 The beginning of strife is as when one letteth out water: therefore leave off contention, before it be meddled with.

.... and the apostle Paul.

Colossians 3:8 But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth.*

*That includes typing these days.

Aspiringsoul I am sure I could find anti-Muslim jokes to stir the pot but I will follow the advice of King Solomon....

Proverbs 17:14 The beginning of strife is as when one letteth out water: therefore leave off contention, before it be meddled with.

.... and the apostle Paul.

Colossians 3:8 But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth.*

*That includes typing these days.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding
but delight in airing their own opinions.

JoChris

Superstar
So you like the book of Proverbs too?

Proverbs 17:28 Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise: and he that shutteth his lips is esteemed a man of understanding.

What is the definition of a fool in the bible?
Psalms 14:The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

Interesting proverbs that expand further on the topic: https://www.biblegateway.com/quicksearch/?qs_version=KJV&quicksearch=fool&begin=24&end=24&limit=100

In Islam, Prophet Solomon AS is a true prophet and not a fallen one. The Quran defended him of the claims made against him by jewish folk.

(1) They followed what the Shayatin (devils) gave out (falsely of the magic) in the lifetime of Sulaiman (solomon). Sulaiman did not disbelieve, but the Shayatin (devils) disbelieved, teaching men magic and such things that came down at Babylon to the two angels, Harut and Marut, but neither of these two (angels) taught anyone (such things) till they had said, "We are only for trial, so disbelieve not (by learning this magic from us)." And from these (angels) people learn that by which they cause separation between man and his wife, but they could not thus harm anyone except by Allah's Leave. And they learn that which harms them and profits them not. And indeed they knew that the buyers of it (magic) would have no share in the Hereafter. And how bad indeed was that for which they sold their ownselves, if they but knew.
(سورة البقرة, Al-Baqara, Chapter #2, Verse #102)

btw I was joking, the joke was just funny, you gotta admit.

JoChris

Superstar
Reflex response still is yes.

Then the thinking side kicks in:
1. it is sad that in jokes Catholic priests are always pedophiles and Jewish rabbis are thieves because it happens so frequently in real life.
2. I don't want to set (especially younger) Christians a poor example online.

P.S. I am not proud that I still have some of that sick sense of humour, but I am a work in progress.

Last edited: