WWI CENTENARY-Who makes wars?

z gharib

Veteran
Macron urges world leaders to 'fight for peace' on WWI centenary
French president tells leaders on Armistice Day to 'build our hopes rather than playing our fears against each other'.

French President Emmanuel Macron has urged dozens of world leaders marking a century since the end of World War I to come together for a joint "fight for peace".
"Let us build our hopes rather than playing our fears against each other," he told leaders, including the presidents of the United States and Russia on Sunday.
France, the epicenter of the first global conflict, is hosting the main international commemoration with about 70 world leaders gathering at the Arc de Triomphe in Paris at 10:00 GMT to mark the milestone moment.
"The traces of this war will never be wiped away. Neither in France, nor in Europe the Middle East, nor all over the world," Macron said.
"Let us remember, let us not forget. Because the memory of these sacrifices makes us worthy of those who fought and died so that we can be free. So let us remember," he said.
"Let us not give up the ideals, the principles and the patriotism of those who fought."

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018/11/world-leaders-gather-paris-mark-world-war-centenary-181111082124835.html

UN chief sees 'parallels' with 1930s amid nationalism warnings
As global figures remember 100th anniversary of the end of World War I, political leaders warn of rising nationalism.
The UN chief has said the world today has several of the ingredients that led to the failure of the peace that followed World War I, in comments marking the 100th anniversary of the end of that conflict, as the leaders of France and Germany warned about the dangers of nationalism.
Without referring to Donald Trump by name, all three of them on Sunday railed against the US president's world view and the dangers of disregarding international norms as they spoke at the start of the Paris Peace Forum in the French capital.
"As I see it, several elements today have many parallels with both the start of the 20th century and the 1930s, giving us grounds to fear that an unpredictable chain of events could ensue," Antonio Guterres, the United Nations secretary-general, said.

For her part, Angela Merkel, the chancellor of Germany, expressed her "concern" that "blinkered nationalist views may gain ground once again".
Merkel warned that the benefits of international cooperation, "the peaceful balancing of interests, even the European peace project - people are calling them into question again."
Her comments came shortly after French President Emmanuel Macron made similar remarks, seemingly aimed at Trump who in a recent speech called himself a nationalist.
During his 20-minute speech, Macron called nationalism "the exact opposite" of the patriotism shown by soldiers.
"Nationalism is a betrayal," he said.
"By saying our interests come first and others don't matter we are erasing what makes a nation precious, what makes it live, what makes it great and most importantly of all, its moral values," he told those in attendance, which included Trump among others.
"Let us build our hopes rather than playing our fears against each other."

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018/11/chief-sees-parallels-1930s-nationalism-warnings-181111162324772.html

The Makers of War
https://archive.org/details/FrancisNeilsonTheMakersOfWar1950

The Genesis of World War
https://archive.org/stream/genesisofworldwa00harr/genesisofworldwa00harr_djvu.txt

" This book is frankly what the title implies: an introduction to the study of the problem of the responsibility for the World War. It aims to present the subject as it now stands on the basis of the secret documents published since 1917 and of the monographic literature which has appeared in this same period, analyzing and assessing the significance of this new documentary material.-----------"

England's Holy War War
https://archive.org/details/englandsholywars00iren

“I spent thirty-three years and four months in active military service as a member of this country's most agile military force, the Marine Corps. I served in all commissioned ranks from Second Lieutenant to Major-General. And during that period, I spent most of my time being a high class muscle-man for Big Business, for Wall Street and for the Bankers. In short, I was a racketeer, a gangster for capitalism.” -Smedley Butler

Ultimately we cause the wars by continuing to allow them to happen.
The populace is assaulted with a pro-war propaganda operation in every aspect of their lives so it’s understandable.
100 years and the wars never stopped, that’s the tragedy of the day.

ItsObvious

Perhaps this war predilection is built into the genome. All the wars up to this point have been terrible tragedies, but most of mankind survived each of them. The technology of today's world is out of control, and that makes the survive-ability of the next war uncertain. I'd say we need to get smarter about these things, but looking around ...

:)

It seems the advice is to pray.

z gharib

Veteran
“I spent thirty-three years and four months in active military service as a member of this country's most agile military force, the Marine Corps. I served in all commissioned ranks from Second Lieutenant to Major-General. And during that period, I spent most of my time being a high class muscle-man for Big Business, for Wall Street and for the Bankers. In short, I was a racketeer, a gangster for capitalism.” -Smedley Butler

Ultimately we cause the wars by continuing to allow them to happen.
The populace is assaulted with a pro-war propaganda operation in every aspect of their lives so it’s understandable.
100 years and the wars never stopped, that’s the tragedy of the day.

"How To Smash This Racket!

WELL, it's a racket, all right.

A few profit -- and the many pay. But there is a way to stop it. You can't end it by
disarmament conferences. You can't eliminate it by peace parleys at Geneva. Well-meaning
but impractical groups can't wipe it out by resolutions. It can be smashed effectively only by taking
the profit out of war.
The only way to smash this racket is to conscript capital and industry and labor before the nations manhood can be conscripted. One month before the Government can conscript the young
men of the nation -- it must conscript capital and industry and labor. Let the officers
and the directors and the high-powered executives of our armament factories and our
munitions makers and our shipbuilders and our airplane builders and the manufacturers of all
the other things that provide profit in war time as well as the bankers and the speculators, be
conscripted -- to get $30 a month, the same wage as the lads in the trenches get.

Let the workers in these plants get the same wages -- all the workers, all presidents, all
executives, all directors, all managers, all bankers -- yes, and all generals and all admirals
and all officers and all politicians and all government office holders -- everyone in the nation
be restricted to a total monthly income not to exceed that paid to the soldier in the trenches!

Let all these kings and tycoons and masters of business and all those workers in industry and
all our senators and governors and majors pay half of their monthly $30 wage to their
families and pay war risk insurance and buy Liberty Bonds."

War is A Racket, By Major General Smedley Butler
https://archive.org/stream/WarIsARacket/WarIsARacket_djvu.txt