Would You Date An Atheist?

JoChris

Superstar
@JoChris
iam curious, how do you spiritually raise your kids, if you have any? I would speculate that its probably a lil bit easier between atheist and faith-person couple since the atheist may not mind much than a couple subscribing to different faiths. Couples fight alot about stuff but the worst fights are those over faith....totally hate those! Kids are always a game-changer. What would i do as per the OP? Unless there is an unmistakable directive from God (a la Job), like appearing to me in a whirlwind, to marry someone of a different 'faith' (Hosea was asked to marry a prostitute), i would humbly submit. Other than that, iam not signing. At this point in my life, iam way too exhausted to carry 'extra weights'.....
@Violette
iam very sorry to hear that.....
I wish I could type despite my husband I brought my two boys up in the Lord.... the following account is a cautionary tale for young women who are humming and ha-ing about marrying a non-Christian man because they're scared of remaining permanently single:

After I had my older boy I went through a very difficult patch of my life and walked away from God for a long time. Therefore during the boys' formative years I was a semi-atheist and therefore completely silent about God.

When I - wandering sheep semi-atheist returned to the fold, did I have a complete turn around and evangelise my boys? No I did not. I was way too quiet, just like I am with everyone and everything else. Self-disclosure in person has always been an issue of mine.
Very gradually as I grew closer to God I tried to introduce biblical concepts, Christian morals and even used events that recently occurred to attempt to open my older son's eyes. Before he went away for university several months ago we had the frankest conversation. Then I realized I had reaped what I sowed. Lack of seed sowing (teaching any of the Gospel and about Jesus) despite careful garden maintenance had resulted in him growing up in the way of the unsaved world's morals.

He was exactly like his father except that God had made his recent severe health scare wonder if there was a God. I used that one opportunity to present the Gospel, including 10 commandments, how God expects them to be obeyed in the heart as well as outward appearance, how as a sinner he needs a Saviour and how that is Jesus.
He looked thoughtful and then said something along the lines of "yeah but I don't believe that, I should tell my other boy about that".

I know only God can open people's eyes but:
* I feel negligent for avoiding personal conflict RE child rearing as a result of marrying a non-Christian.
* I spent years of spiritual crisis which I may have still had despite a Christian husband, but it would have been a lot less likely to have got as severe/ he would have intervened via gentle correction, prayer for me etc.

Sorry that is long, but it is an important issue that young people who are getting serious about potential spouses need to think about as well as personality, physical attraction, career, finances etc.

Karlysymon

Superstar
I wish I could type despite my husband I brought my two boys up in the Lord.... the following account is a cautionary tale for young women who are humming and ha-ing about marrying a non-Christian man because they're scared of remaining permanently single:

After I had my older boy I went through a very difficult patch of my life and walked away from God for a long time. Therefore during the boys' formative years I was a semi-atheist and therefore completely silent about God.

When I - wandering sheep semi-atheist returned to the fold, did I have a complete turn around and evangelise my boys? No I did not. I was way too quiet, just like I am with everyone and everything else. Self-disclosure in person has always been an issue of mine.
Very gradually as I grew closer to God I tried to introduce biblical concepts, Christian morals and even used events that recently occurred to attempt to open my older son's eyes. Before he went away for university several months ago we had the frankest conversation. Then I realized I had reaped what I sowed. Lack of seed sowing (teaching any of the Gospel and about Jesus) despite careful garden maintenance had resulted in him growing up in the way of the unsaved world's morals.

He was exactly like his father except that God had made his recent severe health scare wonder if there was a God. I used that one opportunity to present the Gospel, including 10 commandments, how God expects them to be obeyed in the heart as well as outward appearance, how as a sinner he needs a Saviour and how that is Jesus.
He looked thoughtful and then said something along the lines of "yeah but I don't believe that, I should tell my other boy about that".

I know only God can open people's eyes but:
* I feel negligent for avoiding personal conflict RE child rearing as a result of marrying a non-Christian.
* I spent years of spiritual crisis which I may have still had despite a Christian husband, but it would have been a lot less likely to have got as severe/ he would have intervened via gentle correction, prayer for me etc.

Sorry that is long, but it is an important issue that young people who are getting serious about potential spouses need to think about as well as personality, physical attraction, career, finances etc.

Thank you for sharing your story. Terrifying stuff. Don't lose hope as God has His son's (yours) eternal interests at heart and is doing some moving and shaking behind the scenes. For those willing to take on this kind of trial or carry that weight, goodluck to them and i hope they make it out alive (not everyone does) physically, emotionally and spiritually. For me, better to save up that energy for the difficult times ahead rather than expend it in an unnecessary trial. I lack currency to afford crazy now in an already crazy world. I need peace. I need a goodnight's sleep...hahaha

Karlysymon

Superstar
Depends on how much of an Atheist she really is. Is there some sway, is she staunch, or just ignorant? It's prudent not to choose someone you aren't compatible with in an area concerning morals and values.
I find that females more often get really spiritual when they get married or have babies, so not much to worry about if you are male. Problem is with you testosterone-filled beings. You don't turn around so easily.

I find that females more often get really spiritual when they get married or have babies, so not much to worry about if you are male. Problem is with you testosterone-filled beings. You don't turn around so easily.
If God Wills for somebody to turn around, he/she just does since we are all under His Will to be even existing.

The key is to be conscious of it if we personally want somebody else to turn around, to ask God to make him/her realize, and to just trust in God no matter what happens because ultimately we might be thinking that something should be that way when God Knows Best that it should really be the other way, so to avoid feeling disconcerted that it didn't turn out your way, just say that God Knows Best since everything's His Will.

TonyVanDam

Established
God is not going to send me an atheist soulmate. Also dating an atheist is against the Bible.
MEMO: Dating and/or marrying anyone outside of the faith is against the laws of YHWH ["God"].

Theists are not allow to marry atheists, just like a Christian cannot marry a Jew, a Muslim, a Buddhist, a Wiccan, etc.

Kung Fu

Superstar
It was a joke, ideally I'd keep my mine and shed keep hers.
I don't think it was a joke. You seem like you would take her last name and on the weekends possibly paint your toe nails together and then a few years down the line she would divorce you only to monkey branch to the next best available man or am I wrong?

Etagloc

Superstar
I don't think it was a joke. You seem like you would take her last name and on the weekends possibly paint your toe nails together and then a few years down the line she would divorce you only to monkey branch to the next best available man or am I wrong?
LMAO

Haich

Superstar
Even if you ended up falling in love with an atheist, eventually their cynical view on life and your religious outlook will stop being 'cute' and attractive and you'll just argue constantly

If it's casual dating it would probably work but a serious relationship leading to marriage? No way! You'll both impose your views on each other and going to church/mosque/synagogue, (insert other place of worship here) will become tiresome for the other person.

People of similar beliefs always gravitate towards each other so I doubt a hardcore Muslim/Christian/(insert other faiths here) will fall for a hardcore atheist. However a lenient person of faith may well fall for a lenient atheist as their belief systems may not be such a crucial and fundamental part of their life.

In sum, depends on how observing the person of faith is, some people are quite relaxed about their faiths and would probably find an atheist refreshing. Others will be unable to look past the basis of what an atheist believes and will find it too conflicting

TMT

Star
Oh Fu Fu, you and right are just two things that don't go together. So yes, like always you're wrong.